Author Topic: A short introdutcion  (Read 2377 times)

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
A short introdutcion
« on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 19:56:46 »
Hello geekhack,

I program for a living and use mechanical keyboards for fun.

Started using mechanical keyboards some 4 years ago with an iso zowie celeritas with MX browns.
Recently I began using workman as my layout for home and work which led me to use a model M for the ability to freely replace the top caps. While that's pretty fine for house use it's not accepted at my workplace at all so I am searching for some iso keycaps that are not fully sculpted.

I prefer to have my keyboard on my lap.

I hope to have a good time with you all.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: A short introdutcion
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 21:49:55 »
I hope to have a good time with you all.

And good time you shall have!   Welcome aboard this crazy train.  :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 August 2016, 22:07:58 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:01:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

What you want is uniform profile keycaps.

The easiest ones to get are DSA profile from Signature Plastics/Pimp My Keyboard.

You didn't say which country, but MechSupply.co.uk has a very nice navy blue DSA set GB running at the moment: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82150.0

Otherwise you could look for SA sets, which is a somewhat higher profile, but most SA sets tend to be sculptured rather than uniform profile.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:55:46 »
You didn't say which country, but MechSupply.co.uk has a very nice navy blue DSA set GB running at the moment: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82150.0

Otherwise you could look for SA sets, which is a somewhat higher profile, but most SA sets tend to be sculptured rather than uniform profile.

Thanks, I'm in europe yes. I'm thinking about this filco doubleshot keyset which seems to have all the function and number rows in one profile and the rest in another profile

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 05:53:37 »

Thanks, I'm in europe yes. I'm thinking about this filco doubleshot keyset which seems to have all the function and number rows in one profile and the rest in another profile

Most Filco sets are Filco profile, which is close to OEM profile.

The top row is a bit high compared to the other rows, but that's normal for most sculpted sets.

I have a Filco yellow set which I managed to get after a fair bit of trouble.  It's quite nice, but has started to shine already :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 08:42:53 »
This last years post seems to indicate that that set is SP SA rows 223333 which would allow for free arrangement of the letters, once I get it I'll report on it.