Author Topic: Just opened the pandora box  (Read 4181 times)

Offline xwind

Just opened the pandora box
« on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 11:55:01 »
I am a long time mech keyboards user. But they always were like a tool, whatever came as default with the switches type I like - I was fine with it. But then for my older one I decided that is it time to replace keycaps, and this is when I stumbled upon that there are so many keycap profiles, materials, printing, switch manufacturers, enthusiasts, custom keyboards, DIY, etc etc. Ironically this was the moment when I realized that for many years I had different profiles at home (Cherry) and at work (DSA), and that I always liked the latter way better than the former.

Hell broke loose, in a week I read pretty much everything I could on the types and history. And also found myself ordering a bunch of different profiles to try out: ADA, DSS are on the way, and we shall see about MT3, HUB, and HSA.

Save me somebody :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2020, 11:58:26 by xwind »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Just opened the pandora box
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 12:09:08 »
Welcome doomed mortal.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 14:51:02 »
And then you can fall down into the rabbit hole of vintage boards.....
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline xwind

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 16:22:14 »

Luckily, I do not have that much free space in my home :D. And my wife can barely tolerate MX Blues.

Offline hvontres

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 21:24:43 »

Luckily, I do not have that much free space in my home :D. And my wife can barely tolerate MX Blues.

Actually, I find the buckling springs way more tolrable than the MX Blues I played with in a tester. I think the IBM keys have less of the high frequency noise. You can always have her check out Chyrosran22 on youtube for all sorts of great keyboard sonds brought to you by a soothing deep voice :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline xwind

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 11:36:38 »
Oh, by vintage boards I imagine something like IBM Selectic, which should be loud as hell.

My ideal is probably MX Brown so far. However I never came across the buckling springs, so I will give them a try at a chance. I tried some vintage ALPS Salmon I stumbled across a while ago, and was very unimpressed by them. I would not project that experience on all ALPS, but now they are not high on my list of priorities.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 11:42:29 »
Then there was a great disturbance in the keyboard community as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 12:15:20 »

Actually, I find the buckling springs way more tolrable than the MX Blues I played with in a tester. I think the IBM keys have less of the high frequency noise. You can always have her check out Chyrosran22 on youtube for all sorts of great keyboard sonds brought to you by a soothing deep voice :)

I agree that when using BS, they sound far more pleasant than MX Blue. Thing is, nobody else around you thinks this and just wants to beat you to death with the Model M :)

From multiple observation points, spouses can't stand buckling spring.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2020, 12:25:57 by jamster »

Offline hvontres

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 15:41:28 »

I agree that when using BS, they sound far more pleasant than MX Blue. Thing is, nobody else around you thinks this and just wants to beat you to death with the Model M :)

From multiple observation points, spouses can't stand buckling spring.

Good thing you can use it to blugon them first :) Unless of course, they have an F107 or F122 with the metal case, but then I don't think they could hear your model M over theirs.
And honestly, I don't think a model M is that much more annoying than the guy next door bottoming our hard on his crappy rubber dome nightmare. Of course, open plan layouts don't really help with that....I do miss my old high wall cubicle...or I will once I go back full time. In the mean time I get to work from home in glorious buckling spring nirvana :)
Henry von Tresckow

Offline casualyeti

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 15:14:27 »
Hello there! I’m new myself to this hobby. Glad to see I’m not the first or last person to rapidly spiral down this rabbit hole. Lol. I’ve not even gotten to decide which profile I prefer, so good for you that you’ve made it there. Good luck to you!

Offline xwind

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 09:35:22 »
Hello there! I’m new myself to this hobby.

Run, run before it is too late. ;D

And now I am trying to get into KAT group buy. What have I become?

On a side note, DSS turned out to be really nice, ADA was a bit disappointing. As a scientist I spent half of last night with a caliper and different key profiles, trying to figure out parameters numerically what I like or dislike about profiles. I can share the measurements, if somebody is interested.