Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338190 times)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #3050 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 10:54:32 »
Brand new Colemak F77 reporting for duty :O

And here is an album with some more photos :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JUTuwa9n8V6rpfDT9

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #3051 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 11:14:15 »
Very nice photos Glod!  Which USB cable is that, if I may ask? 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3052 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 11:46:19 »
Solenoid driver update:

Given the chip shortage the original xwhatsit solenoid driver cannot be produced at the moment, so I am looking to switch to pandrew's updated xwhatsit-based solenoid driver.  It is great that pandrew updated the driver back in 2020 to use more widely available parts.

pandrew has noted that any solenoid that works on the original xwhatsit driver should theoretically work on the new driver but to be safe has anyone done any testing with the pandrew driver and my solenoids?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3054 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 18:08:59 »
How are folks programming the right side blocks 3, 4 and 5? If anyone has made JSON files that are the same as the ones I provided, but with adjustments for the right side blocks 3/4/5 please do share! I guess the secondary legends are set up as a function layer, or maybe a tap layer to mimic the functionality of the Num Pad key?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3055 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 20:51:21 »
Here are some additional photos of the various compact case colors, including the new color options.  All feature the new, more durable powdercoating instead of the old anodizing from the earlier batch.

285553-0
285555-1
285557-2
285559-3

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3056 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:23:56 »
Via firmware update:

The Via firmware has been updated due to a bug - all the QMK and Via firmware is in the below file also linked to in the manual on the project web site.

Link to the firmware files:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/QMK-layout-files.zip

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3057 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 14:42:03 »
Update on backlog progress for shipping:

As an update, more than 570 keyboards from the current container shipment have shipped after the container shipment arrived and was organized in the past month or so, along with several hundred non-keyboard orders and remaining parts from split shipping requests.

We are still waiting on the factory for some of the remaining international key sets and custom keys (many have arrived and have been going out) so that is why the "all in stock" orders continue to take priority; the split shipping option is no longer available.

Please note that not all orders that are all in stock can ship right away, as there is still a backlog I have to go through.

There are about 1255 ordered keyboards remaining to ship (about 3800 new Model F keyboards have been ordered in total so far for this project).  My expectation remains as before, that I can expect to move through the rest of the backlog in May, June, and July.  As noted before, it is not possible to project the timeline 100% based on last month's progress as each order takes a different amount of time and orders with many individual extra keys will take much longer to process, and many of the remaining orders are disproportionately ones that have such keys while the "all in stock" orders have been able to go out already.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3058 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 19:40:49 »
Someone just sent me some interesting information on the original functionality of some of the IBM terminal keys:

"I found a great video demonstrating what some of IBM’s terminal keys did on a real system.

The title on YT is “IBM 3178 Terminal Operations and Use demonstration” by Carl Claunch

A side note, the “Reset” key works the same as the “Error Reset” key found on other terminals. It dates back to the punch card days; I can link you a manual that details further if you wish.

The IBM 3101’s keyboard has a compartment for storing documentation. Perhaps you could ask if someone still has a pamphlet they might have found in there."

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3059 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 19:08:08 »
I wanted to share a nice photo of a full size 101 key Industrial Model M with the Industrial SSK 12 key set - one of the first photos I have seen of this combination:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelm/comments/uefex8/my_mopar_blue_keycaps_have_finally_arived_from/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3060 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 22:13:33 »
I recently received some photos and interesting details on the IBM Code key, a rare buckling spring spacebar-type key found on wheelwriters and am sharing them, with permission:

"I ordered a whole set of the IBM Wheelwriter 3 keys, and I started putting some of them on the Model F.

The Code key is the size of a regular right shift key; it is 2" long. It does not fit where the right shift goes however, as the bottom stems are in different locations compared to a shift key.

I put mine where it was originally intended to be; the bottom left of the keyboard next to the spacebar. I think it will be my new Ctrl key.

The Code key is the exact same size as Right Shift is 2.75U with different stem and post locations." [stem and post are switched]

Seems like the code key requires a part of the keyboard arranged in a 1.5U+1.25U location. With the new Model F's it seems that this example is 1.5U+1U+fitting a 1U key where the 1.5U key would go.
286098-0
286096-1
286094-2
286092-3
286090-4
286088-5
286086-6

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #3061 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 00:58:12 »
So after 2 years I received my F77 the other day and  it’s quite nice!

One thing I am struggling with at the moment is changing the layout. I’ve been trying to use the QMK website, pandrew utility, and Atmel Flip. I’m thinking the QMK website, or me missing a step is the issue. When I create my desired layout on the website and then export the .hex file, what is flashed to my keyboard is not my layout and is unusable gibberish of a layout.

Is there a better way to go about this? I followed the first half of the video in the manual thus far. Should I be exploring Via?

Offline behemoth

« Reply #3062 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 06:13:38 »
Placed my order back in August 2017. I wonder if I'll receive my model F before the 5 year anniversary...  ;)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3063 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 09:57:44 »
Lu_e are you using the correct wcass selection in QMK configurator menu as shown in that firmware video in the manual?  The xwhatsit or universal choices would not work with the new Model F keyboards.

Yes I am trying to get out the remaining keyboards this month and over the next couple months. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3064 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 22:24:14 »
I think the thread would definitely benefit from feedback from folks who have been using their new Model F keyboards for months/years at this point - please do share!

Since I've mailed out over 840 keyboards over the past 5-6 weeks we are seeing more issues popping up compared to the December 2019-Feb 2022 period where 1968 keyboards went out over that entire time period where I was not the bottleneck as I am now. Mostly I'm seeing requests for replacements of keys that were broken in shipping. Fortunately there are nearly zero issues with soldering of the ribbon cable, which was a more prominent issue with the earlier two container shipments.

IBM's quality control is legendary. I particularly liked the IBM internal newsletter article discussing the Model F keyboards and showing the quality control steps that involved an employee putting a microphone to the keyboard and pressing the keys to make sure everything was good. There is definitely room for discussion over whether the factory should be doing additional QC work to install and test the sounds for every key. This work would have added at least another 1-2 months of work for the factory, a small additional cost per keyboard, and would have vastly increased the complexity of installing specific key sets on specific boards, now that there are a couple dozen key set options, not counting the exponential options with the additional right side blocks, Mac Sets, and Industrial SSK and Front Printed F1-F12 12 key sets. The advantage of this installation would of course be reduced setup time for the end user as well as a reduced chance of damaged keys if most keys are installed in the barrels.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3065 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 10:37:08 »
Here's the new production Hebrew set that is available thanks to Zed making it.  It is installed on an F122 (also pictured are some original IBM keys, per the poster):
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ukoghm/model_f_122_with_hebrew_key_caps_and_math_pad/

Are we missing any major IBM sets at this point?  Or any other sets outside of APL?

Offline Viridae

« Reply #3066 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 15:17:06 »
Hi I am not sure if this is right medium, but I received my F62 a couple months ago and have been trying to troubleshoot it every month or so before giving up out of frustration. I have very little experience with the advanced levels of keyboard firmware and hardware, but was sad to find that despite following the manual, my H, Delete, Backspace, R Enter, R Shift, and Fn keys do not function. I have tried the troubleshooting steps laid out in the Model F manual. If anyone else has had similar issues, I would love to hear how you resolved them. Thanks!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3067 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 17:01:40 »
Viridae did you follow the QC secrets video in the manual, as well as diagnose whether the pandrew utility's signal level monitor receives the key presses (more details in the manual).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3068 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 12:05:16 »
PS/2 support for xwhatsit controller: 

I read in the AT90USB162 datasheet "USB pad multiplexed with PS/2 peripheral for single cable capability" - it would be cool if it had ps/2 support!  Would that be possible to do with one of those passive USB-PS2 adapters that used to come with some computer mice, even if the controller has a USB-C connector? 

How easy would it be to adjust the current controller to make a dozen or so ones with this chip instead of the ATMEGA32U2 chip?  Per pandrew:  this chip has "16k of flash memory.  Qmk firmware currently uses around 22k.  That's not to say it's impossible. It's probably possible to strip away many QMK features and get it working, but it won't be great." 

I think the tradeoff in some additional functionality would be worth it to the folks who strongly prefer PS/2 connectivity.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3069 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 11:59:54 »
NathanA has posted some good feedback on the possibility of ps/2 over on the DT project thread:  https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=503716#p503716

Here is a nice photo (shared with permission) of the Industrial Gray keyboard with the Industrial SSK 12 key set and a right side block arranged in an alternative way.
286248-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3070 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 14:37:10 »
ISO Black, Dark Gray, and Industrial SSK Blue key sets, Code Keys, Big PC AT style Enter Keys?

I am looking into making a mold for the ISO Enter key (currently we are using Unicomp keys for this key as noted before, and they cannot make the additional colors for black and for gray and blue to match my project's key colors).  This would allow for key sets with ISO Enter to be made in additional project colors black, 60% dark gray, and Industrial SSK Blue.  I will probably make the key non-stepped just like the other keys are all non-stepped.

If you are interested please fill out the Google form below to note which sets you'd like.  To help pay for the mold each set will cost $20 extra, a total of $99 instead of $79 for each set.  The key could also be ordered for $20 individually.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vsamkl_jOqp6wAEfZGeivQZ8ZaibpoT0WQkDG39r08Q/

Since I am making a mold would any other keys be worth adding that have not been made before? I don't think the big PC AT enter key or code key would have enough interest to merit $1000 extra for the mold costs but it would be lower than having a completely separate mold.

Also here's a nice and detailed Model F review from late last year - I had not come across it until today:

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2022, 14:48:33 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3071 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 13:57:42 »
New Solenoid Installation Video:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3072 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 20:43:38 »
I wanted to share over here one of the first Dark Blue powdercoated keyboard that has been shared!  I like the use of the buckling spring logo key as perhaps the function key - makes for a nice custom touch for the layout.  The photo was posted over on DT today:  https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=504032#p504032

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3073 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 21:08:00 »
Does anyone have details on the old IBM Model M overlays?  What kind of plastic were they?  Were they printed or dye sublimated?  I'd like to make some with the intention of covering the LED holes on the beam 104 keyboards.  Zed has worked up a nice reproduction of the IBM originals, plus some more modern-looking ones with alternative color schemes.  Since they are printed (?) it's probably doable to offer a bunch of options.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3074 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 12:42:54 »
Here's the May project update - I have copied part of the first section from the update below.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

So far I have mailed out more than 1,000 Brand New Model F Keyboards since early April, which is more than half of the remaining backlog. We have about 850 keyboards remaining in the backlog. My expectation remains as before, that I can expect to move through the rest of the backlog in June and July. As noted before, it is not possible to project the timeline 100% based on last month’s progress as each order takes a different amount of time and orders with many individual extra keys will take much longer to process; many of the remaining orders are disproportionately ones that have such keys while the “all in stock” orders have been able to go out already.

This week another batch of the custom dye sublimated keys is arriving by express / air mail from the factory so many more orders will be “all in stock” and eligible to ship. The only remaining custom keys the factory is finishing up in the next couple weeks is the HHKB Front Print, Extras, SSK Num Pad, 4704, Terminal, and Ergodox sets.

Interest Check: Pad Printed New Model F Keys

I am reviewing samples for the pad printing with the plan to offer white text on black keys, which is a common request. If interested in black pad printed Model F / Model M keys please sign the interest form here to reserve your set: https://forms.gle/qnUATUrng8bX9Qxt8

Interest Check: ISO Black, Dark Gray, and Industrial SSK Blue key sets, Code Keys, Big PC AT style Enter Keys?

I am looking into making a mold for the ISO Enter key (currently we are using Unicomp keys for this key as noted before, and they cannot make the additional colors for black and for gray and blue to match my project’s key colors). This would allow for key sets with ISO Enter to be made in additional project colors black, 60% dark gray, and Industrial SSK Blue. I will probably make the key non-stepped just like the other keys are all non-stepped.

If you are interested please fill out the Google form below to note which sets you’d like. To help pay for the mold each set will cost $20 extra, a total of $99 instead of $79 for each set. The key could also be ordered for $20 individually.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vsamkl_jOqp6wAEfZGeivQZ8ZaibpoT0WQkDG39r08Q/

Since I am making a mold would any other keys be worth adding that have not been made before? I don’t think the big PC AT enter key or code key would have enough interest to merit $1000 extra for the mold costs but it would be lower than having a completely separate mold. Please post on the Deskthority project thread if you have any recommendations.

Major Project Milestone – 2 million dollars in orders!

Today we reached a major project milestone of 2 million dollars in Brand New Model F orders! It is very surprising to me that there has been so much interest in this project. This figure includes accessory orders and shipping costs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2022, 13:01:10 by Ellipse »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3075 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 18:22:49 »
where are we again on the individual blue keycaps?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3076 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 22:38:28 »
Which ones were you thinking?  I am still going through the backlog (have many orders to go!) if that is what you are asking.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3077 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 07:32:14 »
I’ve had my keyboard for a while now but I originally ordered blue escape and enter keys. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3078 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 13:17:56 »
Yep those custom types of keys will be going out over the next month or so, especially for those just waiting on keys.

Pad printing update:  I received the air shipment from the factory and here are the latest pad print samples.  I requested the printing to be thicker like on the original IBM M13.  Of course the samples do not have the correct alignment of the finished products.  Please disregard the cell phone quality of the photos.

As a reminder please sign the White text on Black Keys Pad Printing Interest form to reserve your spot in line for these sets:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1873Q9wJFyNvJ4-TEBN6P9JbzaVxErbNd-h4XtN1DfNk/

So far there are 65 requested sets which is enough quantity to proceed with production after good samples are produced.

286832-0
286834-1
286836-2

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3079 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 11:44:58 »
QMK experts:  Is there a way to use pandrew's QMK configurator site to set up the tap keys and such for the additional right side block options?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2022, 23:27:03 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3080 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 20:59:19 »
Nice setup example:  A Snazzy Labs subscriber on YouTube recently let me know about Quinn's latest video - I like the combination of the 0-9 style number pad and the Industrial SSK custom set on Quinn's Brand New Model F F77 keyboard shown briefly in the first few seconds.  I have not seen too many of the various configurations with the Mopar key set and the number pad together (personally I prefer the number pad on these keyboards to the Ins/Del/etc. type right side block).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3081 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 12:26:42 »
Project milestone:  this week the 3000th Brand New Model F Keyboard shipped!  I am still going through the backlog and expect to finish up over this month and next month as noted earlier.

Also the first red and green text dye sublimation keys arrived from the factory and look nice.  Some folks wanted red text esc or green font for the alt key like on the Model M keyboards.

286992-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2022, 12:39:59 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3082 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:26:41 »
Thanks to the help from a few folks I have put together a description of the Icon Keys on the Extra Keys page, in order from left to right - please let me know if there are any errors or if you have the Unicode codes for the missing items:

Icons Row 1 (Unicode in parentheses):
1.   ← Backspace
2.   ← Backspace
3.   ⇥ Tab
4.   ⭾Back and Front Tab / Horizontal Tab (U+2B7E)
5.   🔒 Caps Lock (U+1F512)
6.   🔒 Caps Lock (U+1F512)
7.   ↵ Return / Enter
8.   ↵ Return / Enter
9.   ⇪ Caps Lock
10.   ⇧ Shift
11.   ⇧ Shift
12.   ⇧ Shift
13.   ⇧ Shift
14.   ⌘ Command (Apple/Mac)
15.   ⌃ Control (Apple/Mac)

Icons Row 2:
1.   <X| Backspace / Erase to the Left (U+232B)
2.   <X| Backspace / Erase to the Left (U+232B)
3.   <X| Backspace / Erase to the Left (U+232B)
4.   ⎋ Escape (Apple Escape)  [unicode U+238B]
5.   O-->[ ] IBM print screen
6.   Padlock with the Up and Down arrow: Scroll lock
7.   ⎉Pause / Circled Horizontal Bar with Notch [U+2389]
8.   a^ Insert IBM-style
9.   a with curved line: Delete
10.   ⌦Delete / Erase to the Right (U+2326)
11.   ↖ Home / North West Arrow  [U+2196]
12.   ↘ End  [unicode U+2198]
13.   ⇞ Page up / Upwards Arrow with Double Stroke [U+21DE]
14.   ⇟ Page down / downwards arrow with double stroke [U+21DF]
15.   Padlock with the number “1” Num lock 
16.   ⎇Alt key with arrow (U+2387)
17.   ◇Meta / UNIX-style super key  / Diamond [U+25C7]
18.   ⌃ Control 1.5U
19.   ⌥ Option (alt) 1U [unicode U+2325]
20.   ⌘ Command 1.5U
21.   ⇮ Upwards Double Arrow  (U+21EE)
22.   List icon
23.   ƒ Function / F with a hook [unicode U+0192]
24.   ↵ Return / Enter

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3083 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 17:21:46 »
If I wanted to add a couple of extras to an outstanding order, what's the best way of doing that? Was hoping to add a few parts to repair my Model M -- stabilizer inserts and keycaps.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3084 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 18:55:22 »
If your order has not yet shipped, feel free to place a new order and choose free/other shipping at checkout to include additional small items in your shipment.

Offline ALOHAKB

• ALOHAKB
« Reply #3085 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 02:30:23 »
I think this layout may take some time to learn how to use it

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3086 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 15:39:59 »
As an update the latest email newsletter update is going out this afternoon.  Here's a link to see it right away, or if you are not subscribed (to subscribe feel free to head over to the project web site and click the box on the right hand side of the window):

https://mailchi.mp/106dffa1b161/brand-new-model-f-keyboards-2022-update-9074837

Also check out this great project to create an RP2040-based controller for capacitive buckling spring keyboards:
https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-leyden-jar-a-tentative-pcb-replacement-for-the-brand-new-model-f-keyboards/17489

A helpful person emailed me the answer to setting up the toggle keys - the secret to getting the right side blocks 4 and 5 working.

In summary you set one key (for example the key between Right Alt and Right Ctrl) to be the toggle key:  on the QMK configurator site, go to the Quantum tab and drag the TG key in the Layer and Tap Functions section to the keyboard and then enter in the number 3 in the text box inside this key (to indicate "layer" 3).  Then click layer 3 on the left side of the keyboard and drag the Insert/Del/etc. keys to the positions as indicated however you installed the keys (example "Del" on the 6 num pad key). 

With this setup, I was told that you can press the toggle key to act as a quasi-num lock key - when it is pressed, pressing the 6 num pad key in the above example will send the Del signal, and when the toggle key between Right Alt and Ctrl is pressed again, it will go back to num pad.  I think this is the solution we are looking for to getting the additional right side block keys working but please let me know if this is accurate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2022, 19:23:35 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3087 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 11:22:30 »
I just received some interesting additional details on the Code key that I am sharing below:
"The Code key was found on IBM terminals as well as IBM Wheelwriter
typewriters. In both cases, though, its functionality was basically
exactly the same as the Alt key (the left-hand one, not the right-hand
one when it is used as an AltGr key) on the PC, to enable special
word-processing functions or other special functions of the program in
use.
There was also a Code key on the Displaywriter."

Offline Rico

« Reply #3088 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 14:34:33 »
Hello all.

Ellipse suggested me to post a message on this thread a few days ago so here is it.

I have received my F77 recently and I'm loving it!
Long before that I started to design a new controller for it with a more modern MCU, this is the 'Leyden Jar PCB'.

In order to not add too much pollution in this thread I created a specific one on Geekhack on this link:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117555.msg3129629#msg3129629
Feel free to visit it for more details.

A bit of warning:
I am not an electronics engineeer, this is a hobby for me, and there are chances the project will be a  failure.
Having done several PCBs in the past, both keyboard related and on different fields, this is the most complex project I have ever started.
But hey, who does not try does not succeed ;)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3089 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 17:07:54 »
Does anyone strongly prefer ordering the denser/more rubbery foam (all the foam I have been mailing out so far)?  I am now nearly out of the f77 regular foam so all future foam is going to be the authentic IBM style, much lighter XT style foam (the non-crumbly variety).  Given the minimum order quantities there would have to be at least 25-30 foams requested in the less authentic style.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3090 on: Sat, 25 June 2022, 10:41:37 »
I wanted to post (with permission) another customer photo, this time featuring a unique layout and the Mopar Blue keys - I have not seen more than a handful of photos so far with these keys.

The top row of keys on the right side block is planned for media keys once they are ordered and shipped, I was told.
288330-0

Offline andy74

« Reply #3091 on: Sun, 26 June 2022, 06:33:25 »
The F77 finally arrived! I'm so excited!

After a little fiddling with installing the keys (and reseating a couple of them), everything seems to be working order. After following the instructional videos on firmware upgrades, I'm now on "VIA" firmware, and have managed to map 'pipe' to a key.

Thank you so much, Ellipse. The amount of work you put into the project is immense!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3092 on: Fri, 01 July 2022, 16:16:14 »
Great andy74; glad everything is up and running.

I am posting (with permission) another nice photo, this time with some of the new Extra Keys (some of which recently arrived from the factory: terminal, 4704, Icons, Extras, num pad/right side blocks, front printing), as well as some customized transparent relegendable keys, which allow you to print graphics for both the top and front of the key so you can have a custom key with custom front printing for multi-functionality. 

Here are some details on the fonts used:
"most the numbers are whatever font IBM used. It looks like Public Sans though. The period is Public Sans too. Fira Code for the two slashed zeros, after seeing a picture of a model M style macro pad with that on. Finally, my Wheelwriter uses Prestige Elite at 12 cpi. That's what all the VISA CREDIT stuff is written in.  All the words [on the relgednables] are Prestige Elite. I typed it manually on my wheelwriter."

288589-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2022, 18:04:11 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3093 on: Sat, 02 July 2022, 14:57:50 »
The factory is air mailing me some of the new inner foam this month but only for the F77 regular (non HHKB variety - good for ANSI/ISO).  The expectation is that all F77 regular foam orders will be of this new foam material for the first aid kits and spare foams too. 

So if anyone wants to order the new style F77 regular foam it is now OK to do so (to be doubly sure it's ok to put in an order note for "I request the new foam material").  For previous orders you can't pick.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3094 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 23:05:39 »
Keeping the original xwhatsit firmware alive:

Is anyone up for creating a "0.9.3 version 2" firmware for the new 33 pin controller I'm testing this week?  The changes are that caps is pin 18, pin 19 is Num, and pin 17 is Scroll.  Because of these hardware variations, this will have to be a separate firmware version.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3095 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 23:22:50 »
An odd firmware issue:

In my testing the 4 rows connected to RP3 are all white at threshold 80 no matter if shorted or not, while RP4's rows behave normally (shorting a row 5-8 turns the row from gray to white in the ibm capsense utility.

Everything seems to be perfect with pandrew's own QMK update for the beamspring boards (known as rev2 on the QMK beta site - connecting a column to a row correctly produces a threshold change with the associated key) so I probably adjusted things wrong in the original xwhatsit firmware - any ideas?

Here's pandrew's note: "For the original xwhatsit, I think it should be possible to update to support the leds, and solenoid in conjunction. It will need changes to: firmware, communication protocol, and ibm capsense utility, to add a new supported expansion port configuration."

Here's what I did:
new 33 pin controller: caps is pin 18 PB4, pin 19 PB5 is Num, and pin 17 PB3 is Scr (pin 17 was previously unused).  The purpose of this change is to allow the solenoid to run at the same time as 3 LED lock lights - the current xwhatsit controller is limited to 2 LEDs while a solenoid was attached.

old: caps pin 20, num 19 (the same), scr is 18

in the file named exp.c change the PB numbers to the ones shown below:

setLockLEDs(void)
{
   if (kbdLEDs & HID_KEYBOARD_LED_NUMLOCK)
      PORTB |=  (1 << PB5);
   else
      PORTB &= ~(1 << PB5);

if (kbdLEDs & HID_KEYBOARD_LED_CAPSLOCK)
      PORTB |=  (1 << PB4);
   else
      PORTB &= ~(1 << PB4);

if (kbdLEDs & HID_KEYBOARD_LED_SCROLLLOCK)
      PORTB |=  (1 << PB3);
   else
      PORTB &= ~(1 << PB3);
}

The instructions I followed in Ubuntu:
In a terminal, run: sudo apt update && sudo apt install make gcc gcc-avr avrdude avr-libc build-essential

Move the patch files into the src directory

In the terminal cd into the src directory

Run patch files in order from oldest to newest (start with debounce patch, then patch 1, then patch 2, then patch 3 (the latter three patches from pandrew). 
patch < xwhatsit_model_f_firmware_update_0.9.1.patch
patch < patch1.patch
patch < patch2.patch
patch < patch3.patch

The default debounce is 11. To create the debounce 6 version, edit the scan.h file and change the line with #define SCAN_DB_THRESH_TOP 11 - change to a 6 (I use the debounce 6 version when sending out the Brand New Model F keyboards).  ONLY change this as well as the version number after running the above patch files

In the file Makefile, change version to 0.9.3v2

Run make and copy the ibm_capsense_usb.hex file that was created
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2022, 09:20:56 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3096 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 12:09:19 »
Mini-meetup in NYC - September or October?

I have been generously invited to speak about the project at the NYC office of a well-known tech firm.  I'd like to schedule it for a Wednesday in September or October, after I've caught up with the backlog, which I expect to go through during the rest of this month and part of next month. 

Their meetup is just for company employees; I was thinking of a mini-meetup open to the public on the same day in the late afternoon.
 Is anyone willing to host a mini-meetup in Manhattan that would be open to the public?  The space would need tables to show off any keyboards that folks bring there.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3097 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 12:30:42 »
Mini-meetup in NYC - September or October?

I have been generously invited to speak about the project at the NYC office of a well-known tech firm.  I'd like to schedule it for a Wednesday in September or October, after I've caught up with the backlog, which I expect to go through during the rest of this month and part of next month. 

Their meetup is just for company employees; I was thinking of a mini-meetup open to the public on the same day in the late afternoon.
 Is anyone willing to host a mini-meetup in Manhattan that would be open to the public?  The space would need tables to show off any keyboards that folks bring there.

I've sent this to the NYC meetup discord, I think one of the organizers will get in touch with you soon.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3098 on: Mon, 11 July 2022, 22:56:46 »
Thanks Puddsy.

As an update we are about 4-8 weeks away from me mailing out the remaining Model F keyboards in the backlog! A little over 500 keyboards plus many non-keyboard orders. 3360 keyboards have shipped so far.

Over on the beam spring project thread I added photos of the first prototype parts of the next round.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3099 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 14:36:03 »
Dye sublimation note:  I'm open to additional super low volume sets as long as someone volunteers to design the unique/additional legends for the particular set - including front print only sets with all the legends front printed, as well as the other sets noted. Other folks would have to help by designing the sets' additional legends (I can send the template file to you if anyone is willing to help). Please note that any sets involving front printing will cost more as that process is trickier for the factory to get right.

Zed has been so incredibly helpful with making sure the keys are up to IBM's design and alignment standards that I am wary of making too many more additional requests especially for the ultra low volume requests, so someone would have to help with these.

The factory can even do green, red, and blue for the sublimation text/graphics and multiple colors can be printed at the same time and on the same keycap. If anyone wants one-off sets in various colors it is possible, though some sublimation colors come out better than others and you'd have to make them to find out. So far green, blue, and red have come out nicely.