Author Topic: what to do with a good matrix PCB  (Read 1507 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
what to do with a good matrix PCB
« on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 15:38:30 »
Some time ago GeorgeK did a generous giveaway for tipro boards.

After the expense of importing stuff to Singapore I noticed that I had one more matrix PCB than I had controllers for.

I was also recently approached by hotkillerzzz who wants to build his own hand wired keyboard. I didn't have anything to help him with at that time.

As the Tipro PCB is really good quality I don't want to throw it away. Would it be helpful to someone doing his own hand wired keyboard? Could he follow the traces after soldering, and solder leads to a teensy instead? I'll be glad to post this at my own expense to anyone in Singapore who wants to work on it. My only requirement is that recipient must make a geekhack donation of at least the same as what it cost me to post.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline sakai4eva

Re: what to do with a good matrix PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:42:28 »
Post a picture of the PCB and extend that offer to Malaysia.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 03:52:08 »
Watching the thread!  :thumb:

Offline Enigma

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 04:44:02 »
I'd love to see a picture of the PCB. It's quite possible that the leads could be directly soldered onto the teensy if they use a mostly similar configuration.
You have my interest!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 08:44:51 »
is there something wrong with geekhack server tonight?

I tried twice to upload photos with no success.

will try again in a few hours.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:15:15 »
Just use imgur :)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:44:03 »
second try

btw, Sakai, I should be able to send you a Rosewill plate for the cost of shipping once I get it from Dorkvader. He's sending some stuff to me soon... hopefully.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:46:28 by berserkfan »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 16:00:03 »
It'll be a pain, but you can follow the traces and figure out the layout. It's much more complex than the cherry G80-1950 PCB (for example). Once you ahve the endpoints of the matrix, you just solder a wire from each of them to a pin on the teensy and then use a normal KB firmware (soarer / hasu seem to be the most popular right now) You can ignore the controller on the PCB, as it won't be getting any power, it shouldn't affect anything.

Note that the matrix appears to be 2KRO. You can sodler in diodes, but it would be tough. It also only supports plate mount switches. I hope you have a plate to go with it.

The good news is that you can scan a 2KRO matrix in either direction, so once you find one "end" of the matrix, it's simple to make sure you've captured all the switches.

Unfortunately, it'd be much easier to do this with the switches soldered, since you could in theory just put a weight on it to depress them all, then follow things around with a multimeter in continuity mode.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:09:06 »
@berserk, thanks!

dork, if this were reddit, I'd be obliged to upvote you :)