Author Topic: Links to good 75% cases and PCb's ?  (Read 20105 times)

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
Links to good 75% cases and PCb's ?
« on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 17:32:45 »

Hi everyone!

I am really new at this with keyboards... I am looking for 75% KB layout case and PCB that fits with the case.
I want the case to be a higher profile from the back so it is not completely flat.

Also how many keys is it in 75% layout? I see different every picture I look at on the web...

Thank you guys! <3

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Links to good 75% cases and PCb's ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 04:03:29 »
The different layouts you see are probably 65%. 75% is 84 keys and has nearly all the same keys as a TKL but wrapped up tight. If it's missing FN keys, that is a 65% and if it is also missing the arrow keys, it's a 60%. There is also a 68 which is a TKL without FN keys and missing Home/End.

Also, 75% really is quite an uncommon size so options are extremely limited, if you want to piece it together from parts, your only real choice is Gonz (who seems to be extremely back ordered) or the  EEPW84/XD84 out of China (Ali Express). While Gonz work is supposed to be good, my advice would be to pick neither, Gonz, as mentioned is backed up, and after my last experience with Ali Express, no thank you. It took 4 months to get all of the parts and I have yet to see if all of those worked. If something goes wrong, you may be waiting a long time and/or desoldering and re-soldering nearly 400 joints. Which is where I currently stand.

Which means buying a custom kit from a reputable source or a complete, the former is almost always sold out, the only good custom kit I'm aware of right now from a reputable seller is the KBDfans75. If you want something better, you would be better to save your money and wait, but you may be waiting a long time and if it's better than the KBDfans75, expect 2-3 times the price. Customs get EXPENSIVE. Don't be surprised if you break $300 by the time you are done as even that is relatively cheap compared to many.

Completes fall into two categories, the typical layout or Vortex Race style.
The Race has a FN key above the backspace, while others put it near the space bar, why does it mater? If you accidentally hit the fn key while hitting the space bar (which happened to me a lot), it opens the calculator, stealing focus from whatever you are typing. Drove me insane, eventually I put a low profile keycap on it to prevent this. Unfortunately, The Race is pretty much the top 75% keyboard with everything else being of lesser quality and using a plastic chassis. Like I said, choices are limited.

Most of the common completes (some of which are quite good) can be found on mechanicalkeyboards.com or Amazon.
One last note, if you have a Mac, Noppoo and Drevo will not work.

Typical layout, Noppoo Choc Mini (note FN near spacebar):
https://deskthority.net/w/images/thumb/4/44/Noppoo_Choc_Mini_Top.jpg/800px-Noppoo_Choc_Mini_Top.jpg

Vortex Race layout (note FN above backspace):
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/images/products/large_120_RACE.jpg
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:18:12 »
The different layouts you see are probably 65%. 75% is 84 keys and has nearly all the same keys as a TKL but wrapped up tight. If it's missing FN keys, that is a 65% and if it is also missing the arrow keys, it's a 60%. There is also a 68 which is a TKL without FN keys and missing Home/End.

Also, 75% really is quite an uncommon size so options are extremely limited, if you want to piece it together from parts, your only real choice is Gonz (who seems to be extremely back ordered) or the  EEPW84/XD84 out of China (Ali Express). While Gonz work is supposed to be good, my advice would be to pick neither, Gonz, as mentioned is backed up, and after my last experience with Ali Express, no thank you. It took 4 months to get all of the parts and I have yet to see if all of those worked. If something goes wrong, you may be waiting a long time and/or desoldering and re-soldering nearly 400 joints. Which is where I currently stand.

Which means buying a custom kit from a reputable source or a complete, the former is almost always sold out, the only good custom kit I'm aware of right now from a reputable seller is the KBDfans75. If you want something better, you would be better to save your money and wait, but you may be waiting a long time and if it's better than the KBDfans75, expect 2-3 times the price. Customs get EXPENSIVE. Don't be surprised if you break $300 by the time you are done as even that is relatively cheap compared to many.

The Race has a FN key above the backspace, while others put it near the space bar, why does it mater? If you accidentally hit the fn key while hitting the space bar (which happened to me a lot), it opens the calculator, stealing focus from whatever you are typing. Drove me insane, eventually I put a low profile keycap on it to prevent this. Unfortunately, The Race is pretty much the top 75% keyboard with everything else being of lesser quality and using a plastic chassis. Like I said, choices are limited.

Most of the common completes (some of which are quite good) can be found on mechanicalkeyboards.com or Amazon.

https://deskthority.net/w/images/thumb/4/44/Noppoo_Choc_Mini_Top.jpg/800px-Noppoo_Choc_Mini_Top.jpg

Thank you so much for the information... I have been looking into that KBDfans 75... but I don't understand how to order just the case... and not those switches or whatever they have.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 21:38:12 »
Thank you so much for the information... I have been looking into that KBDfans 75... but I don't understand how to order just the case... and not those switches or whatever they have.
You're welcome

You can't just order the case or PCB. In fact, very few keyboards work that way, there really is no standard that says this size has bolt holes here and here. Each case and PCB are designed as a unit. Some do interchange but that is because they are either made by the same company (for example Filco and some Cooler Master TKLs)  or they were designed to fit inside that specific case (like the Phantom working in the Filco/Cooler Master case). The closest thing we have to a standard for any keyboard really in terms of case and pcb is the GH60, which actually was just meant to fit the Vortex Poker case and became a big deal from dumb luck. In terms of a 75% the only interchangeable ones I know for certain that work together is the EEPW84 and XD84 from China. This is similar to the GH60 though, someone designed one of them and someone just copied the layout.

Even if you start with something more common like a Filco compatible TKL, you're still extremely limited in terms of cases, the same goes for a full size or even the EEPW84 and XD84. The only keyboard size with real multiple choices for parts is the GH60.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:36:40 »
Like Leslieann said, there isn't a huge range of interchangeable parts for 75% boards. Your best bet is to go with a KBD75 or XD84/EEPW84 (same thing). Both are cheaply available on KBDFans.cn and Aliexpress, respectively.

Also yeah don't buy from GoN. He's basically a scammer.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 06:43:37 »

You can order separate case plate from their factory,maybe,haha
Have Fun Everywhere