Author Topic: IBM Keyboard Model M F1 [Help me repair it]  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Quodpipax

IBM Keyboard Model M F1 [Help me repair it]
« on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:55:09 »
Hello everyone. So I have this keyboard. I have arduino pro micro (leonardo clone) fired with Soarer's hex file (Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex)
It works okay with another keyboard (not IBM, buyt Bull BDS 3).
But it doesn't work with IBM keyboard.
What could be the problem? The conctacts information is very different from other sources. I tried many thing, but nothing worked. But once I touched back metal plate with a ground contact I noticed it started sending information with looping on the last operation when I removed that ground contact from the back metal plate. So It was sending some information at least, but buttons never responded. Later even this "trick" has stopped working. Maybe I burned something. I had my doubts about HD6805V chip from the beginning, but now it could be something else (if I burned something else (eg. 561 5835 SH 786099 B 8719 S chip or 239 2161 SH 779567 F 8710 S).
Please look at the images I made.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:57:56 by Quodpipax »

Offline Quodpipax

Re: IBM Keyboard Model M F1 [Help me repair it]
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 00:22:56 »
I have reasons to believe contacts here have different functions.
For example on many websites you can see 2-nd contact is Data.
But this 2-nd contcat is a black cable screwed to the ground.
4-th contact (white) also goes to the ground. It's either reset or I don't know.
5-th contcact (red) highly likely is +5V.
1-st contact is also black, why there are two cables with a black color?
3-rd contact is yellow.
So maybe 1-st and 3-rd contacts are clock and data? I don't know.
Please help me at least set this contacts problem straight - where is what, I could replace components one by one myself. If you could point out which components to replace in the first place, please tell me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 07:02:14 »
The photos and diagrams seem consistent. The heavy black wire with the screw terminal is not part of the scheme for the pins in the cable.

Your breadboard obscures what is really connected, so I have no idea what is actually going on. I have only used genuine Teensy boards and their markings make it very straightforward.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Quodpipax

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 09:06:34 »
The photos and diagrams seem consistent. The heavy black wire with the screw terminal is not part of the scheme for the pins in the cable.

Your breadboard obscures what is really connected, so I have no idea what is actually going on. I have only used genuine Teensy boards and their markings make it very straightforward.

Don't mind the breadbord. I tried every connection. As I said in the first post I tested it with another keyboard, and it worked okay.
But the heavy black wire is really part of the sheme. You could see it goes into the cable and it corresponds to the 2-nd contact of the DIN5. That what makes it unclear.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 09:08:14 by Quodpipax »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:24:38 »

You could see it goes into the cable and it corresponds to the 2-nd contact of the DIN5. That what makes it unclear.

It goes to the cable but I think that it is probably the cable sheathing grounding to the chassis and does not correspond to the ground pin in the cable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Quodpipax

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:35:19 »

You could see it goes into the cable and it corresponds to the 2-nd contact of the DIN5. That what makes it unclear.

It goes to the cable but I think that it is probably the cable sheathing grounding to the chassis and does not correspond to the ground pin in the cable.

When I ringed the 2nd contact and it was that black ground contact I was amazed myself. I rechecked it a few times, couldn't believe it. But it is how it is.
I can record a video of how I ring those contacts.