Offline Moralless

Re: Moralles' DM70 Build log.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 02:48:58 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 06:37:58 by moralles »

Offline feizor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:08:15 »
Looking great so far.

Does the space next to the arrow cluster serve a special purpose?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:36:30 »
Hello everyone!

After building my first keyboard a month or two ago, I was itching to make another one straight away (since I quickly learned what I liked/disliked and needed in a 60% keyboard). this time around I decided to base my layout around the Leopold FC660M/C as I've always found the layout interesting but have always been put off the non standard spacebar stems (I am aware that you could mod this spacebar). Initially I planned to base it off the Poker 2 layout but with the bottom row that I'm using, there would've been no space for the teensy.

Without further delay, here is the layout for the DM70:
More
Show Image

Where is "esc" ? on an FN layer?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 14:46:55 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 06:38:32 by moralles »

Offline NUDEcnc

• * Vendor
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:18:33 »
Hi
I can make custom CNC case for you.
Maybe you interested ?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65296.0

Offline Moralless

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:43:17 »
Hi
I can make custom CNC case for you.
Maybe you interested ?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65296.0

Show Image

Hey man, I've seen your thread about machining a whole keyboard and love the numbpad case you made, and I'm definitely interested have the case for this be made via CNC but unfortunately I don't have the know how to make a 3d file to get it milled out  :(

Offline NUDEcnc

• * Vendor
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:53:09 »
I can make all, design and final product according to your spec. Starting from scratch.
You just need idea what you want :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 16:43:00 by NUDEcnc »

Offline Moralless

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 16:27:37 »
I can make all, design and final product according to your spec. Starting from scratch.
You just need PCB and idea what you want :)

Thanks for the offer! :) I sent you pm about the details.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 17:15:19 »
Cool layout.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Moralless

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:55:42 »
Cool layout.

Cool layout.

Thank you for the compliment! Really excited to see what I think of it :)

So I've been learning about powder coating over the pass week and I plan to get my plates powder coated in a week or two and was just  wondering if I had to prep my plates befoer I go there. I know they offer sandblasting etc. to clean the plates prior to them powdercoating it. But the mild steel I plan to get powder coated has a good amount of rust on it and was just worried if this would cause problems or not.

Here are some images of what I plan to get powdercoated with the first image the one I'm most worried about:
More
More
More

Also would I need to plug the screw holes if they haven't been threaded yet? They're 2.5mm in diameter and I tried searching opinions for this but the only ones I could find talking about this said that you should protect it  since the threading in the plates would get covered. Would it matter if I left it open if the screw holes haven't been threaded yet? If it does how should I go to cover the screw holes up? I was thinking of just plugging in the screws but then I was afraid the powder coat would cover the top part of the screw and I wouldn't be able to take the screw out with a screwdriver.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 00:34:25 »
Whew! Busy day today in terms of this keyboard.

Finally got all the parts of my switches in today (Tactile Grey switches from Zeal, Black stems from berserkerfan and 68g gold springs from Sprit). After modding the greys (which has the same stems as clears but with just a different color) to 68g greys and 68g blacks I decided to scrap the idea of 68g greys for the letters, numbers and punctuation and blacks for the rest of the keys as I have come to realize that I much prefer linear switches compared to tactile switches since you just can't beat that smoothness (IMO). I then disassembled 70 grey switches (with 1 paperclip) and installed the black stems and 68g springs, I plan to do a full desoldering and re-open the switches back up in a few months time to apply lube after I've  broken in the switches.

More
More
More
More
The mighty paperclip

Also went and paid a visit to the place I get my laser cutting done as I needed to get the screw holes in my top cover drilled through since they told me (after they delivered the plates) that they weren't able to laser cut the 2.5mm diameter holes in the top cover through the 5mm mild steel as the holes have to be at least 70% or so the thickness of the material being cut, since I got there an hour before they were closing they said they didn't have time to drill the holes and that I could leave it with them and pick them up either tomorrow or sometime this week. I also picked up another back plate from them while I was there, but instead of it being in mild steel I got it done in aluminium as I underestimated the weight of a 112mmx310mmx1.6mm sheet of mild steel which when I did the math accounted up for almost 60% of the weight of the case. The keyboard is A LOT lighter now since the density of aluminium is only 2.7g/cm^3 compared to the density of mild steel which is 7.90g/cm^3 (almost 3 times as heavy). I believe the difference in materials for the case shouldn't cause any problems when I get the plate, back plate and 1 of the top covers powder coated/anodized as the place I'll be doing it at offers anodizing that works both on aluminium and mild steel so the consistency of the case should be no worries. The other top cover I'll give a go polishing it and then getting the place where I'm doing the powder coating done to apply a clear coat on it  to prevent it from rusting.

More
More

Hopefully I can get the metal plates powder coated/anodized by the end of this week/early next week!
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 December 2014, 00:36:45 by moralles »