Author Topic: [IC]NESON DESIGN: NICO Series 01 65% × Macro Keyboard  (Read 10081 times)

Offline Simen

[IC]NESON DESIGN: NICO Series 01 65% × Macro Keyboard
« on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 03:15:15 »
Hi everyone,this is Simen from: NESON DESIGN. Wishing you all a year of prosperity, health, and happiness!
Please follow our Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/neson.design/ or join our Discord:https://discord.gg/g6YQHD9e4b for the latest updates!

NICO Series 01 IC Form:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11fnDHsupDXCHvkoxMPIs0m6hQ0HQNa1lYpEk0IkuiHU/edit

We are delighted to introduce you the 3rd keyboard produced by NESON DESIGN - Nico Series 01. (Note: The rendering pictures and prototype photos in this IC are from Ver.1 - Ver.3, which may have few minor differences from Ver.4. we’ll keep updating it in the future post.)
Nico Series 01 is a keyboard with 65% + Marco layout.

296050-0

Catalog:

1.Design
2.Version Update Ver.1 - Ver.4 (w/ prototype photos)
3.Specification
4.Kitting
5.Color

1. Design
The design of N6, 700E is dynamic and energetic, while new NICO series is more elegant and wise. We design it to be more suitable to office users while adding uniqueness to it and not making it looks too serious. The vertical ambient lights on both sides gives it a low-key look.
There’s many softwares would require the F row and Marco usage frequently for workflow automation nowadays, and look of 75% layoutcould not fulfill our aesthetic goal. Instead we are adopting a hybrid layout - the horizontal stretch 65% with Marco, which has been executed in some other designs like KMAC kmini and RAMA Zenith, and they have laid a solid foundation for Nico.
296052-1

2.Version Update Ver.1-Ver.4

Ver.1: Back in July 2021, we have disclosed the initial IC of Nico Series 01 and start the first round prototyping.
We implemented vertical lighting design on both sides and conducted a second round of sample to address PCB issues.
296054-2
296056-3

Ver.2: In May 2022, we changed the Marco area into 2 rows and adopted the i series i6 internal mounting structure into Nico series 01. We enhanced the internal for the better typing experience.
296058-4
·Design of the mounting structure:
We optimized of structure from i6 in the first place and achieved a better stability by changing the mounting and supporting method for the internal. However, this plan would require change of look of Nico. Instead, we added the supporting structure and combined with the original Gasket Leaf to Nico.
296060-5
·The function of the flexible support silicone:
It’s difficult to unified the typing feeling or typing sound cause people has diversified senses. And people have different preferences on flex-cut and plate materials. Therefore, the users could choose whether to add the support silicone or other customized materials depends on their own requirements. It also match with our understanding to customize keyboards, pleasing yourself by the actual feelings rather than what others say.
·After countless revision samples and software simulation, we are proud to say that the Flexible Support Silicone has fulfilled our initial goal.
296062-6

Ver.3: In Aug 2022, we newly added the Hotswap PCB and made adjustments to the internal structure accordingly. The top case was engraved with our Logo.
296066-7
296068-8
296070-9
296072-10
·There are 10 R1 relegendable keycaps in Marco areas of Ver.1 & Ver.2 rendering pictures, which has gained interest from many users. So we contacted several keycap manufacturers and collaborated with KBDFans finally after several prototyping. Nico keyboard kit would come with 10 relegendable keycaps, and there will be two color options: black and white.
296074-11

Ver.4:More detailed information will be updated in the future
296076-12

3. Keyboard Specs:

·Layout: 65% × Marco
·Structure: Leaf Spring Gasket
·Typing Angle: 8 degree (Front Height 18.44 mm)
·PCB: 1.2mm, Type - C daughterboard (support QMK, VIA and VIAL, designed and manufactured by Astro)
·Plate: 1.6mm alu plate
·Price: About $370—$380
·Quantity:TBD
·Weight:About 2.2kg(Only case)

Exploded view:
296078-13

Keyboard layout:

Hotswap PCB layout:
296080-14
Soldered PCB layout:
296082-15

4.Kitting:

·Keyboard (Top case, Badge, Bottom Case, Stainless steel weight) x 1
·1.6MM aluminum plate ×1
·1.2MM PCB and Type - C daughterboard  ×1
·3.5MM Poron Mid-layer foam ×1
·C Gasket silicone set ×8
·Flexible support silicone ×6
·0.5MM Poron bottom case foam ×1
·JST cable ×1
·KBDFans relegendable keycaps×10

5. Colors:TBD

Ending Statement:
We strived for adopt suggestions from community for every design. If you like our design, please join us and collaborate on more fun designs!
May the year of the rabbit bring good luck and good health to all of you!
Peace & Love!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2023, 01:28:41 by Simen »

Offline JAK_EDITS

Re: 【IC】NESON DESIGN: NICO Series 01 65% × Macro Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:21:48 »
God tier layout. This genuinely is my end game layout and I would insta-buy, though I have a few thoughts.

8’ degree slope is…very steep, imo.

Leaf spring gasket is nice, I recall how building the owlab spring and how much
of an absolute pain in the ass it was to balance the case/PCB on the rubber nails, so hopefully the silicone
implementation is much easier to install and more securely attached in the case.

Not a fan at all of the branding that was added to the top case.

I’d prefer this on the weight or the inner/bottom case. More classy that way, imo.

Super excited to follow this project!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:26:02 by JAK_EDITS »
I’m new-as-**** and i’m ready to spend on keeb stuff!

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 16:16:10 »
I'm gonna buy this. Hope the midnight purple from China drop returns.

Offline EdTheNerd

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 04:53:34 »
Agreed that 8° angle is a bit much.
I'll still be in for one if the top case logo goes away.

Offline nikostephen

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 17:46:36 »
a friend just sent this to me, and it's close enough to my name + a very work-friendly / creative-friendly layout.

excited to see where this goes. this is aesthetically so sleek, and i'm curious about how it will type.

Offline Jho

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 18:24:30 »
Interested. A personal thing I thought of that I forgot to put in the IC form, is I would love an E-White option. Can't wait for some sound tests in the future to get a general idea of the sound.

Offline Simen

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2023, 01:33:28 »
Agreed that 8° angle is a bit much.
I'll still be in for one if the top case logo goes away.
Actually we don't think 8° is a high angle,because the front height is only 18.44mm, it is an extremely comfortable typing angle.

Offline Tommy206

Re: [IC]NESON DESIGN: NICO Series 01 65% × Macro Keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 February 2023, 01:11:56 »
Would it be possible to get the stepped caps lock option with the hotswap pcb?

Offline area 69

• wear ever you go their your.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 February 2023, 06:21:54 »
i am in love with this board (and your others). i hope to join in on this one. wishing you success.

Offline Oogtug84

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 22:27:36 »
a nice soft green would be awesome, love the design

hope international gb is soon

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 03:25:20 »
This is the layout I wanted from the Charue Sunsetter (but never got because they failed to deliver the latest board). Definitely looking forward to this one and will be watching for more details as I love what you guys have done in the past
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 12:36:48 »
Leaf spring gasket! I will stand for this~