Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 920878 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 17:57:36 »
Okay ISO layouts for all the costar boards...
(Buttons have to be rectangular, so the ISO enter is always going to look weird.)
I don't care how the enter key looks in the configurator as long as it works ;)
I will test the new build tomorrow.

Haven't uploaded the new build yet.  Putting in mad overtime at work.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:12:47 »
That sounds awesome metalliqaz! Yes the Language Iīm personally searching for is Swedish. Below is a correct ISO swedish layout:
Show Image

Itīs interesting how "home blind" you get, I recently realized that there is many layouts used in different parts of the world and before I used to think there was only ISO and QWERTY. I guess you learn something new every day;)

Euf0ria, I can't even seem to find a mapping of scancodes to keys for those keyboards.  If you (or anyone else) can show me the scancode tables for internationalized keyboards, let me know.

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 01:22:43 »

Euf0ria, I can't even seem to find a mapping of scancodes to keys for those keyboards.  If you (or anyone else) can show me the scancode tables for internationalized keyboards, let me know.

I found this after a quick search but donīt know if it is what you are asking for:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL/include/SDL_scancode.h

Is there a way to extract the scancodes from your own keyboard? If you have a guide on how to do it then i can extract the scancodes from my keyboard, itīs ISO UK layout but that doesnīt matter right as long as itīs ISO?
Sorry for my noob level of knowledge, Iīm still trying to learning everything i can about this.

Edit: I also found this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms894053.aspx
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 01:26:19 by Euf0ria »
All your base are belong to us

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 01:33:58 »
The scancodes are exactly the same as on every other keyboard, or it wouldn't fare well with any OSs.. The only extra bit on ISO keyboards is the key next to left shift. That is the one called NUBS in hasu speak, scancode 0x64 i believe.

The '* key is physically the same as the US \|-key.

I haven't read up on this mapper code but my layouts here include all keys on the ISO and ANSI models. The extra keys on Japanese keyboard should probably fit into there somewhere as well, but I don't know which and where.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 07:31:53 »
The scancodes are exactly the same as on every other keyboard, or it wouldn't fare well with any OSs.. The only extra bit on ISO keyboards is the key next to left shift. That is the one called NUBS in hasu speak, scancode 0x64 i believe.

The '* key is physically the same as the US \|-key.

I haven't read up on this mapper code but my layouts here include all keys on the ISO and ANSI models. The extra keys on Japanese keyboard should probably fit into there somewhere as well, but I don't know which and where.

Oh... right.  Man, now that you point it out it seems so obvious :facepalm:

Okay so we're ready to go, but localization will be a pain for me as an ignorant 'murican.

Euf0ria, or anyone else, I will provide a file that would need to be updated to get full localization.  Honestly, I don't even know how to type the Swedish symbols.  If you are willing, speak up!

Edit: ISO build is uploaded
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 07:36:43 by metalliqaz »

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 07:58:06 »
I can help you. Do you link the file here in the thread or do you prefer to send it by e-mail or a dropbox link? Please send me a PM if it's more approperiate.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:44:18 »
With the new ISO build everything works now for me. Thanks metalliqaz!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 10:49:12 »

Great!  Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad this thing gets some use. :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 10:57:04 »

Nice work!! Now the one's that are not into programing (like me) can make keyboard custom layouts easily, I'm hoping for a Mac version of this great keymapper. Thanks :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 11:20:45 »

Nice work!! Now the one's that are not into programing (like me) can make keyboard custom layouts easily, I'm hoping for a Mac version of this great keymapper. Thanks :thumb:

It is already cross platform.  The problem with the Mac seems to be the programming.  Flip is windows-only.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 11:31:44 »

It is already cross platform.  The problem with the Mac seems to be the programming.  Flip is windows-only.
I have a couple of Phantoms and I use the Teensy loader with Mac OSX to load the hex files onto the Teensy. Can your Easy AVR Keymapper be used on a Mac with the Teensy loader for Phantom?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 11:43:48 »
Sure thing.  I'll try to whip up a multi-platform package when I'm at home.  I'd appreciate an OSX screenshot when you get it working.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 15:22:42 »
Sure thing.  I'll try to whip up a multi-platform package when I'm at home.  I'd appreciate an OSX screenshot when you get it working.
That would be much appreciated when you have the spare time. I can do screenshots no problem. Thanks!

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:14:04 »

Today i tested the new ISO 88 layout for the Filco MJ2 and have some initial errors to report, just some keymapping to correct i think, ok here it goes:
Im using swedish ISO in my OS...
The row for numbers all work with their normal keypresses (1,2,3, etc...) and everything also works with their Ctrl keypresses. But then, nothing works with their ALT keypresses.
Hereīs whats supposed to be mapped to each number+ ALT : 1 none, 2 @, 3 Ģ, 4 $, 5 €, 6 none, 7 {, 8 [, 9 ], 0 }, + \,

The  + sign being the key left to "0".

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:58:01 »
Disable numlock or turn off Virtual Numpad.

I've got to stop making that the default on TKL boards.  Everyone thinks it's a bug...

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 13:07:45 »
Disable numlock or turn off Virtual Numpad.

I've got to stop making that the default on TKL boards.  Everyone thinks it's a bug...

Or maybe we users should read the manual a bit closer;)
I did another try today and got everything to work as i wanted. Now i just got to come up with some cool ideas on how to use my keyboard.
Again, thank you very much for adding ISO layout, you just saved me and other Europeans a huge amount of time not having to learn the code the hard way!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 08:30:18 »
Thanks for this awesome software.   :thumb:  I just flashed 2 Frosty Flakes on my QFR at home and my QFR at work.

Two problems I ran into:
1)  I couldn't swap the location of my Backspace and '\|' keys using the beta (20140127) but I was successful with the regular (20131226).
2)  I couldn't remap the HID_KEYBOARD_SC_APPLICATION to SCANCODE_FN using either version.  I had to remap HID_KEYBOARD_SC_RIGHT_GUI to SCANCODE_FN instead.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 08:51:42 »
Thanks for this awesome software.   :thumb:  I just flashed 2 Frosty Flakes on my QFR at home and my QFR at work.

Two problems I ran into:
1)  I couldn't swap the location of my Backspace and '\|' keys using the beta (20140127) but I was successful with the regular (20131226).
2)  I couldn't remap the HID_KEYBOARD_SC_APPLICATION to SCANCODE_FN using either version.  I had to remap HID_KEYBOARD_SC_RIGHT_GUI to SCANCODE_FN instead.

Thanks for the feedback!  I don't own a QFR so I rely on help from the community to be able to support that keyboard.  Let's get it fixed up!  Is this an ISO QFR, or US ANSI?  When you say you can't swap the location, does that mean that you are able to make it look right in the GUI but it doesn't work on the board, or does it mean that you can't even get it to work in the GUI?  What happens when you press the key?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 09:28:11 »

Two problems I ran into:

Thanks for the feedback!  I don't own a QFR so I rely on help from the community to be able to support that keyboard.  Let's get it fixed up!  Is this an ISO QFR, or US ANSI?  When you say you can't swap the location, does that mean that you are able to make it look right in the GUI but it doesn't work on the board, or does it mean that you can't even get it to work in the GUI?  What happens when you press the key?

US ANSI.  In all cases the GUI showed the right symbols.  With regard to the Backspace problem, I had one key mapped to Backspace and the other mapped to '\|', but after flashing the firmware both keys were interpreted as '\|'.  With regard to the Function problem, after flashing the firmware the normal Application key was interpreted as R-Alt instead of Function.  Changing R-Win (R-GUI) to Function, however, works just fine.

Let me know if you want more information or if you want me to experiment with anything.  I have a second QFR at home (also with a Frosty Flake), so I can even try to reproduce the problems I'm seeing later today if that would be helpful to you.

***UPDATE***
I tried this with my QFR at home.  Mapping Function to both R-Win or Application work just fine with the regular GUI.  I'm guessing one of my Frosty Flakes may have a defect but I can still do everything I bought it for so I will let this one slide.  I did notice that when I load the default QFR (Frosty Flake) layout using the beta GUI that it does not match an actual QFR layout - that may explain the backspace vs backslash problem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 17:26:52 by geniekid »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 12:49:33 »
Work's flawlessly on my KMAC2.

Thank you!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 16:06:21 »
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates.  I've been pulling lots of overtime at work.  I will continue to improve the beta version soon.

Great to hear Dreamre!

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:18:52 »
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates.  I've been pulling lots of overtime at work.  I will continue to improve the beta version soon.

Great to hear Dreamre!

Are these going to be for sale, please excuse me I'm a nub.
你搞砸了

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:28:56 »
It's free software, dude.  Various supported keyboards are for sale separately.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 13:00:22 »
Hi. Can you make the new FaceU pcbs of spirit to be compatible? :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline KyesaRRi

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 02:22:46 »
Hi!

Would it be possible to add support for the butterfly numpad?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 09:51:43 »
If they are using an ATmega32U4 or similar, then the answer is yes.

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 17:24:45 »
How would I set this to use a  locking caps lock key? I'd love for this to work so I don't have to figure out this really confusing TMK thing :P

Also, what does it mean by binding a key to boot mode?

Another question: How do I modify LED Brightness? (This is all for my phantom)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 February 2014, 17:39:17 by xSpartanCx »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 19:54:44 »
Hmmm.  A locking caps lock key is not currently supported, but I think it would be easy to add.

You want to make a key for entering BOOT mode so that you can reprogram new code easily.  With your Phantom, if you didn't have a key to do it, you'd have to take your keyboard apart and press the Reset button on the Teensy.

LED brightness only takes effect on the backlighting.  I will try to add support for changing the brightness of the indicator LEDs.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 15:23:57 »

Two problems I ran into:

US ANSI.  In all cases the GUI showed the right symbols.  With regard to the Backspace problem, I had one key mapped to Backspace and the other mapped to '\|', but after flashing the firmware both keys were interpreted as '\|'.  With regard to the Function problem, after flashing the firmware the normal Application key was interpreted as R-Alt instead of Function.  Changing R-Win (R-GUI) to Function, however, works just fine.

Let me know if you want more information or if you want me to experiment with anything.  I have a second QFR at home (also with a Frosty Flake), so I can even try to reproduce the problems I'm seeing later today if that would be helpful to you.

***UPDATE***
I tried this with my QFR at home.  Mapping Function to both R-Win or Application work just fine with the regular GUI.  I'm guessing one of my Frosty Flakes may have a defect but I can still do everything I bought it for so I will let this one slide.  I did notice that when I load the default QFR (Frosty Flake) layout using the beta GUI that it does not match an actual QFR layout - that may explain the backspace vs backslash problem.

Just an update for anyone curious - ultimately this software (version 20131226) worked perfectly for my home QFR.  As for my work QFR, I noticed after awhile another problem where simultaneously pressing B and M would cause N to show up.  I went through the entire flashing procedure again but couldn't fix it.  Finally, I used Mooswa's fork of bpiphany's original firmware and modified it to create the same mappings as my home QFR (without the bootmode).  The BMN problem was resolved.

So basically one QFR works perfectly with this software and one doesn't, which doesn't really give a strong indication as to whether it's a software or hardware issue.  I'm willing to chalk it up to user error somewhere along the line on my part.  When the next stable version gets released, I'll give it another try.  Again, thanks for all this awesome work metalliqaz :thumb:

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:50:47 »
Another thing to note: flashed the firmware (on the most recent beta version) and it did not seem to recognize my right shift key. Switched back to basic firmware, and the shift key works again. Not sure what's up, I can try the recent stable build if you'd like.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 13:45:00 »
What does this mean?

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:34:54 »
That means I effed something up.... Or maybe that you tried to load an old save file with the new beta. (I had to make it backwards incompatible when I added the variable layouts)

Offline huttala

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:39:58 »
First of, awesome job with this program, it makes my life much easier. :)

BUT it seems like right shift does not work with the new ISO 88 layout on my ISO 1.5x phantom board (It's an ISO 87 then I guess 3 bottons right of space and 3 left of space). Scroll lock works, but not print screen or pause break.
I've tried the right shift key with a new switch, manual wiring and I've checked if the switch works with an multimeter, everything seems fine but it just does not work.

And while I wrote this I tried the stock 88 ISO layout (from the deskthority wiki) and right shift seems to work, so it's absolutely an bug.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 16:19:07 »
That means I effed something up.... Or maybe that you tried to load an old save file with the new beta. (I had to make it backwards incompatible when I added the variable layouts)

I only used the "release" package from the OP. No older files or anything are on this machine. I don't have Windows at home anymore, so I had to dl it to my work PC. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:44:52 »

I only used the "release" package from the OP. No older files or anything are on this machine. I don't have Windows at home anymore, so I had to dl it to my work PC. :)

Me then!  If I can re-create the problem I can fix it. Let me know what layout triggered the bug.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 08:27:05 »

Me then!  If I can re-create the problem I can fix it. Let me know what layout triggered the bug.

It was the GH60 HHKB layout.

in memoriam

Offline huttala

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 15:37:44 »
Any news on the ISO 88 layout and why the right shift + printscreen and pause/break buttons does not work?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 09:47:43 »
They will definitely be fixed.  I'm almost done with the heavy work commitments that have been preventing me from working it.

Offline huttala

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:29:33 »
They will definitely be fixed.  I'm almost done with the heavy work commitments that have been preventing me from working it.

That's awesome, thanks! :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 09:00:47 »
Okay I've refactored the code and ported it to Python 3 in preparation for releasing a multi-platform src package so Linux and OSX users can join the party.  You will need either Python 2.7, 3.2, or 3.3 installed on your system.  I will still make the Windows exe version for those who don't want to bother with Python and Setuptools.

Next I'm working on the bugs that have been reported in thread.  Then I'm going to look at adding support for some new boards.

See y'all tomorrow!

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:38:43 »
Great stuff! Your program makes everything so much easier for all of us :D. Thank you :).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 23:17:19 »
New beta version uploaded.  Fixes Phantom Right Shift.  More fixes and new features coming soon!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 23:53:00 »
New beta version uploaded.  Fixes Phantom Right Shift.  More fixes and new features coming soon!
Dangit didn't see that was a thing. I lifted a pad thinking the switch was bad.

Although ... bizarrely enough I fixed it by jumping to the "ISO" position of the right shift, which I really though was the same switch position.

Thanks for keeping up with this ... it's a fun way to rearrange the keymap, in addition to being easier to make .hex files with.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 10:06:08 »
I'm really sorry to hear about that.  I wish I hadn't let that bug go for so long.  That is why I call it beta, though!

To the guy who's PrtScr and Pause buttons don't work, I can't reproduce that problem.  I think more information is needed.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 08:00:16 »
Uploaded new Beta.  Adds option to make a debug build, which would have prevented AKmalamute's mishap.  Also added a requested feature (Locking caps) and more ISO configs for Phantom.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:42:19 »
Few more bug fixes and moved the Beta to Release.  Seems to work well on my keyboards.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:08:36 »
Added new Beta with true NKRO for you animals that love to mash keys.  It does have a bug right now.  Once you get past 20 keys or so it loses track of what's going on.  I'll fix it before moving it to release.

57670-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:13:11 by metalliqaz »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 20:02:19 »
Added new Beta with true NKRO for you animals that love to mash keys.  It does have a bug right now.  Once you get past 20 keys or so it loses track of what's going on.  I'll fix it before moving it to release.

(Attachment Link)

What's the difference between "true" NKRO and what it is now?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 20:48:40 »
... for you animals that love to mash keys...before moving it to release.
:eek:
LOL
ty man!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 21:11:30 »

(Attachment Link)

What's the difference between "true" NKRO and what it is now?

All previous versions have been 6KRO.  That is the standard USB keyboard protocol.  It can only send 6 keys at a time (plus 8 modifiers).
The NKRO has no 6 key limit.  If you want to hold down 10 keys at once, you can do so.