Author Topic: Beefing Up a CM Storm Key Tester  (Read 20099 times)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Beefing Up a CM Storm Key Tester
« on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 20:25:48 »
Ever since I hacked a Teensy into Cooler Master's key tester I thought this could be done more "professional" w/ a custom made PCB. Unfortunately, I have a hard time wrapping my head around PCB design software, despite the fact that I work w/ PCB's pretty much every day -- I can read schematics, trace diagrams, know electronic components -- CAD software freaks me out :/ So I bounced the idea of a few people I know doing PCB design work almost every day, last one was bpiphany (designer of the Costar Replacement Controllers, one of my all time favorite DIY projects) -- he came up w/ a PCB design w/in half a day and set me up w/ pcbwing to have four protos made :) Here's the short (picture) story of how this worked out for your entertainment.

Unpacking and inspecting for fit, looking good:

Resistors go in 1st:

The Teensy needs to be almost flush, a piece of sticky note on the back will create a wee bit of clearance:

Teensy is set, about to start w/ the 1st switch:

Switches are in, LED's come next:

All done, switches are MX White w/ Clear springs (my personal favorite):

Fitting the assembly into the lower shell:

Cutting the hole for the USB connector is a ***** :/

Final shot:

Everything is working as planned, I'm happy :) It's a bit of a novelty tho, I don't think there are many uses -- media controller, Dota keyboard, cursor block next to a 60% board (my personal favorite.) Not the most cost efficient way to do it either, 4 boards run at $50 (although this would substantially come down w/ volume), a Teensy is $16. Thoughts ?

Edit: Source code and hex file can be found here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:44:26 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Beefing Up a CM Storm Key Tester
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 20:35:09 »
Very nicely done!

I wonder how well a kit of the parts wold sell?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 20:54:08 »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 23:04:53 »
Why are you using a 3.3K for the "fn" switch LED and 2.2K for the rest? (or 330R vs 110R if that's brown, not red)

Since there are so few switches, I would go for a 6*1 matrix (NKRO without diodes) and a very cheap arduino pro micro (about $6 instead of $16 for a teensy)

Otherwise: excellent! It's a great device and solves the main problem with the techkeys business card (too few keys)

Offline Grendel

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 01:20:34 »
Thanks for the comments, appreciate it :)

I got different LED's in the switches -- red for the arrow cluster, blue for Fn and green for the skull key. The green LED's I got are a bit on the bright side (8400mcd @ 20mA), so I installed a 3k3 for it.

Ah yes, the matrix is wired up as 6x1 w/o diodes, the LED's are PWM driven individually (7.8kHz cycle in this case.) Looks like a Pro Micro could be a possible substitute, have to look into that. I used a Teensy mainly because I have them lying around and I like the bootloader (I don't do Arduino and I hate Flip w/ a passion..)
- I'm game !

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 06:20:47 »
This is awesome!  Great job! :thumb:

Offline Grendel

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:32:30 »
Thanks ! :)

Here it is as I'm using it at work:

Caps are Vortex PBT/POM DS.
- I'm game !

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:48:33 »
Not only looks good, but work well too :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline geo462rge

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:32:31 »
created an account just to post here, would you happen to have any extra boards for sale?

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:36:44 »
created an account just to post here, would you happen to have any extra boards for sale?
Massdrop is selling them right now ;)

Offline Grendel

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 12:44:51 »
Massdrop is selling them right now ;)

Ah, no and no, sorry (MD is selling another round of the CM Demo Tester, not the PCB !) Based on the low interest level so far I doubt there will be more boards made.
- I'm game !

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:01:02 »
Ah, no and no, sorry (MD is selling another round of the CM Demo Tester, not the PCB !) Based on the low interest level so far I doubt there will be more boards made.

It is too bad that there there is no plan for a few more of these. It is completely awesome. I'd love something like this.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:05:05 »
I need a PCB for mine, now. I wonder how much a run of 3 would cost through OSHPark? They have good prices for small footprint PCBs.

Thoughts, Grendel?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:16:06 »
I need a PCB for mine, now. I wonder how much a run of 3 would cost through OSHPark? They have good prices for small footprint PCBs.

Thoughts, Grendel?

I'll take one or 3 to help with numbers.

Offline geo462rge

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:19:02 »
i would take a pcb as well if anyone gets something together.  (Got here from massdrop actually)

Offline Grendel

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:20:30 »
The only price point I have is the proto run w/ PCBWing -- $50.97 inc. shipping for four boards. Boards are dual layer, 57x53mm in size (4.7in^2, looks like $25 for 3 at OSHPark ?). bpiphany was setting this up for me, he also owns the design and files of the board. I would not have a problem if he or anyone else is having more boards made (as long the dedication texts stay in place.) I'll point him to this threat.
- I'm game !

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:22:36 »
Depending on how price ends up I will buy 2, I guess I will join the drop on massdrop. I can make it a media controller that I have always wanted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 19:09:08 »
I might be interested, but the price will be the deciding factor.  I'm basically all spent out for a couple of months :(

BTW TechKeys is selling the CM switch tester too: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/cm-switch-tester

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:34:17 »
I would also be interested in a few of these as well.  :thumb:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 10:04:35 »
Sounds like there is enough interest to get a larger batch made by PCBwing. It would be cheaper in the volume we are looking at than buying 3 at a time from OSHPark.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline neiru37

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 12:00:36 »
I'm interested in getting one too for my cmstorm switch tester (just got mine from the previous drop from massdrop) if it gets to a reasonable price.

Offline geo462rge

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:37:28 »
yeah, count me in and i know someone else interestsed.  between the both of us we would be down for three.  its all about who would be willing to lead this i guess. shipping and what not is possible, just would take some time. 

Offline tahuds

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 19:31:21 »
I'm in as well, this looks amazing! It'll be a perfect complement to my JD40 for home use, get me back my media keys, etc.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:03:58 »
Not sure how i missed this for so long! This is super cool, nice work!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:04:45 »
Grendel seems to have gone MIA for a while. I wen ahead and ordered some more PCBs. I mean it was I who designed it after all =) I'll let him in on the fame and fortune if he re-surfaces.

The classifieds thread is waiting for moderation, but should be available here eventually https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70033

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 15:17:20 »
Your PCB cost seems very high, try ITEAD Studio, They're really fast (1 week from order placed to having the boards in my hands) They're $19.90 for 10 boards (2 more free if you're open source) @10X10cm, and cheap shipping. http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418003.html
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:04:16 »
For me it says "unreadable" in the teensy loader :(

15:07:10: Open File event
15:07:11: ihex: parse error line 1

Edit: LOL nevermind, it was my fault.. Thought right click -> "save link as" would work for the hex file, apparently saved a bunch of HTML code instead. xD
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:19:09 by ficklampa »
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 14:58:42 »
Btw, is there some hidden mode or something? I double clicked on the top right button and the LEDs start to flash instead of shining with a constant shine.
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)

Offline KTKM

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 01:04:36 »
Will this work with the pro trinket from Adafruit?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:15:33 »

No, this PCB needs 7 pins for the switches and at least another 2 for LEDs - the Trinket only has 5 pins.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline KTKM

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 08:40:19 »

No, this PCB needs 7 pins for the switches and at least another 2 for LEDs - the Trinket only has 5 pins.

The pro trinket has 18 GPIO pins.

Offline KTKM

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 12:25:15 »
Quick question, how do you open the underside of the tester?

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 15:59:19 »

It is a pain in the ass to get open, there are tabs on both the front and back keeping the case together. I found the easiest way was what was described in this post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58029.0. Don't be too afraid of breaking it, I was able to leverage pretty hard without any permanent damage.

Offline KTKM

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:43:46 »

It is a pain in the ass to get open, there are tabs on both the front and back keeping the case together. I found the easiest way was what was described in this post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58029.0. Don't be too afraid of breaking it, I was able to leverage pretty hard without any permanent damage.

Yeah I was afraid of breaking it, thanks for the info, that post is useful too.

Edit: I don't have a wedged pry tool like he has there :/
I have only a guitar pick and a short wedge.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:54:56 by KTKM »

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 19:13:08 »

Yeah I was afraid of breaking it, thanks for the info, that post is useful too.

Edit: I don't have a wedged pry tool like he has there :/
I have only a guitar pick and a short wedge.

Yeah I didn't either, I actually used a spatula from a chemistry lab but you could probably get away with a butter knife if you had a thin enough one or maybe the guitar pick or short wedge to get a little gap and then a butter knife.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 12:38:07 »
so this is probably a real dumb question but maybe you'll humor me. will this work without the diodes?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 13:04:43 »
Yes, there are no diodes ;) Only LEDs, and yes it will work without them as well.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 15:06:02 »
Yes, there are no diodes ;) Only LEDs, and yes it will work without them as well.

thanks :) i should have my step mania controller finished in the next couple of days then!! i'm glad i never sold my ddr arrow key set :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 03:33:06 »
weeee! finished my project last night and took some pics today:
please excuse my soldering butchery... had a few beers during the process.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 05:22:55 »
Very nicely done :)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 12:52:02 »
Pardon my electronewbness but which Ohmage do I go with when planning to use SIP sockets and swapping out LED's at will? I have enough to do all 470 ohm and I have enough 1 k ohm resistors to do the job. Which would be best?
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline odd

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:50:24 »
I would love to buy at least 3 of the SixShooter boards.

Edit: I have 3 in the mail, woowoo
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:23:18 by odd »