Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 610256 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 12:14:28 »
Ok then.  I'll go for a post-apocalyptic industrial look.

A design for spherical keycaps, perhaps.

Cheers!

- Ron
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1051 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 12:47:13 »
I've been playing with C++:GTK+ for a possible gui (and minimal installation weight) for programming boards. I don't have a lot done, but I figure I should make my prototype worth something to someone.

Edit: I'm also willing to work with other software/languages. I'm just trying to find something that works on multiple operating systems. If I only had to program for windows, Visual C# makes building guis a snap.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 12:49:58 by kravlin »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1052 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 02:02:56 »
How about make a GUI for windows first, then other OS later  ;)

Offline vorn

« Reply #1053 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 06:31:49 »
Speaking of "look and feel", I've always thought it would be amazing to have a keycap set made like that of the OP-1 by Teenage Engineering

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1054 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 06:44:36 »
BTW, for those of you who are not familiar with soldering I will provide a switch soldering service.
I'll also order the switches, so you can have a working keyboard (as in 'with switches') shipped if you want.
can i provide for final version as well?

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1055 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 11:07:46 »
How about make a GUI for windows first, then other OS later  ;)

Because if I actually get off my lazy ass and write the whole thing, I don't want to be maintaining code in 3 different languages for 3 different operating systems.

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #1056 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 06:42:31 »
Very interested in this project, Make the GUI in Java, then it works on all the OSs. Kinda past the stuff I could help with. If any CAD/PCB or coding still needs doing I offer my services, being what they are.
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1057 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 08:19:07 »
Java's a mess, no?

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #1058 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 08:49:29 »
I am quite interested in this and am willing to contribute in any way needed. I can solder and write software if needed.

Offline codymaust

« Reply #1059 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 09:26:06 »
I could potentially help with the software as well

Offline jspark

« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 11:03:18 »
I also could help with the software if needed.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:04:44 »
Very interested in this project, Make the GUI in Java, then it works on all the OSs. Kinda past the stuff I could help with. If any CAD/PCB or coding still needs doing I offer my services, being what they are.

People were talking about the software online a couple pages ago. There was a decision not to use java purely because the JVM is a security threat. (I understand, I think they're crazy but I understand). I can do GUIs in java and C# easily, but I haven't touched GTK in about 2 years.

As for software, I'll start a github sometime in the next day or two with whatever I have lying around and anyone can contribute. I planned on open sourcing whatever i wrote anyways, so a github repo is free.

If we want to change the language or what toolkit we're using, just decide on something, I'm doing this to make myself a better programmer on top of wanting to help out, so I'll try anything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:20:21 by kravlin »

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:22:37 »
is there going to have to be another round of prototyping and testing? or is this nearing the ordering stage?
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:36:16 »
is there going to have to be another round of prototyping and testing? or is this nearing the ordering stage?

First prototypes aren't in testers' hands yet. komar was waiting on components to arrive. WFD will be doing some SMD soldering and distributing US protos. I doubt we will need another proto round. I think komar is confident he can fix things in the next revision for a production run.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline __red__

« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:47:42 »
WFD is doing the prototype SMD work?
WFD - you can just forward mine on :-)  I find SMD soldering meditative.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:48:38 »
So the GH60 GB will be starting in __________?????
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1066 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:53:29 »
So the GH60 GB will be starting in __________?????

Yes
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1067 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 14:56:35 »

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1068 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 15:28:00 »
Komar just sent me all the US proto boards today. He gave me a list of who they're for, so I'll be sending PMs out soon. I have finals and a seminar to prepare for this upcoming week, so I'll take care of these little things afterwards.

Most people that wanted the proto boards don't have SMD equipment. I'll have to see if using hot air rework station or hand soldering is faster. Probably hot air for the controller and capacitors, and hand soldering for the diode since they're so spaced out. I'll send yours out untouched.

You guys are on your own for switch soldering unless you send them to me.

So the GH60 GB will be starting in __________? ??? ?

Probably ~2 weeks for me to get all the prototype boards, a couple days for me to solder and repackage, and a couple more days for you guys to get it. A week or two to test and give feedback, and/or design cases and different layout plates. Assuming there are no other delays, my guess is mid January is when the real GB can start.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 15:33:09 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #1069 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:51:41 »
sorry for all the questions, i've been ignoring this thread hoping it just happens, haha.

but are the final PCBs going to be ready to go? or will they require SMD hot air soldering?

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:54:34 »
If the PCB shop can do pick and place for a reasonable cost, I think we are planning to do that. For a small run of prototypes, it didn't make sense cost-wise.

in memoriam

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1071 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:23:59 »
Probably ~2 weeks  for me to get all the prototype boards, a couple days for me to solder and repackage, and a couple more days for you guys to get it. A week or two to test and give feedback, and/or design cases and different layout plates. Assuming there are no other delays, my guess is mid January is when the real GB can start.

From happy to sad in under 2 sec

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1072 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:25:52 »
Probably ~2 weeks...

From happy to sad in under 2 sec

haha then just delete the rest of that post, like that ^

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #1073 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:35:40 »
If the PCB shop can do pick and place for a reasonable cost, I think we are planning to do that. For a small run of prototypes, it didn't make sense cost-wise.

I think most people here would appreciate that, even if it adds cost to it. I have never done SMD work so I wouldn't want to attempt it on my own probably.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1074 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:39:16 »
SMD isn't bad, just need some flux. :) Either way, having the fabricator do it for us would be nice.

Offline __red__

« Reply #1075 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 20:32:47 »
When mine arrive I'll video the soldering.

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #1076 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 22:35:24 »
What is the cost estimate like on peoples case designs? I priced out a quick protoype 3d printed one and it is between 100-200 dollars depending on the fab. Will there be a group buy together with the pcbs for some aluminum poker/pure cases? Any chance at some pbt lasered or dyesubbed for the kits, though its probably easier for most of us to source our own keycaps.

And why the security concerns on a keyboard controller with Java?

How is the firmware setup, I didn't catch that on the OP. It is the same chip as the teensy, you just get the ISP and flash the thing with the firmware for teensy, that is supper easy to program layouts in teensyduino.

Not squishing a dip switch in the poker spot on that thing? Well i guess you don't really need it if it is programmable.

Good luck to all the prototypers. I think I am going to need a few of these boards to play with all the layouts =P
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1077 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 23:29:13 »
What is the cost estimate like on peoples case designs? I priced out a quick protoype 3d printed one and it is between 100-200 dollars depending on the fab. Will there be a group buy together with the pcbs for some aluminum poker/pure cases? Any chance at some pbt lasered or dyesubbed for the kits, though its probably easier for most of us to source our own keycaps.

How is the firmware setup, I didn't catch that on the OP. It is the same chip as the teensy, you just get the ISP and flash the thing with the firmware for teensy, that is supper easy to program layouts in teensyduino.

Not squishing a dip switch in the poker spot on that thing? Well i guess you don't really need it if it is programmable.

Good luck to all the prototypers. I think I am going to need a few of these boards to play with all the layouts =P

It's not the keyboard. It's the programmer. The JVM has a couple of security holes and in order to run the programmer with java you need the JVM.

Offline nevin

« Reply #1078 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 00:30:20 »
very exciting. great work everyone! can't wait.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1079 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 00:33:04 »

I haven't gotten a quote for my case but I'm hoping around $150

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1080 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 03:00:47 »
Well it seems I have nothing left to say here, everything has been said.
I've had my preliminary thesis presentation and other university stuff going on recently, so I'm sorry for the delays.
Packages to other parts of the world will be sent today or on Monday.
I've broken something in the recent versions of the firmware and it stopped working in windows:D. I hope I'll fix it by the time you get the prototypes.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1081 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 03:47:04 »
komar, you've done all the "heavy lifting" to this point. We certainly don't mind stepping in to answer a few questions and keep the thread updated. Thank you for all your hard work on this project so far.

WFD, as things move into your court with the prototypes, I want to thank you, as well, for your help moving this project along.

Don't forget that this is a community project, and our community will make this project a success! Ask for help if you need it, and don't be afraid to jump in if you have something to contribute.

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1082 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 13:31:23 »
How is this as an ANSI layout for a 60% keyboard?  My goals were to retain as much normal positioning as possible, retain the TKL keys in as close to normal orientation as I could, and keep the 2nd and 3rd layer keys on the right hand.  The exception was the extra delete on the left, included only for the Ctrl-Alt-Del key combination.

I also wanted to reduce the scope of the layers as much as possible.

One change I made from (e.g.) the Poker, was to enable the arrow keys without disabling the Right_Shift key.

Thought, opinions and/or observations?

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 December 2012, 13:33:14 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Batmann

« Reply #1083 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 13:36:43 »
this looks like an efficient layout,
way better than the poker one

Offline noxwood

« Reply #1084 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 20:58:29 »
No super/win key, whatsoever? I don't know how wise of a choice that is.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1085 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 21:55:51 »
I would lose the caps lock to something like Fn+Shift and use the Caps as a 2nd Fn.  Then you can use Fn2 and your arrow keys for win/menu mods if you need and of course plenty of space seeing as it'll be a 3rd layer.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1086 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 01:29:01 »
You know what would be cool? A toggle for toggling spacebars? Anyone get it? I don't think I heard of this before.
SmallFry! <3

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1087 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 05:15:32 »
:confused:

in memoriam

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #1088 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 06:48:09 »
That would make a good prank gift :) Better yet, a toggle that causes the space bar to disable randomly.

Offline modulor

« Reply #1089 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 10:16:47 »

Most people that wanted the proto boards don't have SMD equipment. I'll have to see if using hot air rework station or hand soldering is faster. Probably hot air for the controller and capacitors, and hand soldering for the diode since they're so spaced out. I'll send yours out untouched.

You guys are on your own for switch soldering unless you send them to me.

Thanks WFD for assisting in the SMD work - I'm pretty competent at through-hole soldering, so switches will be a breeze, but I have no experience in SMD work (nor the tools).  I'll happily compensate you for your time and efforts!   ;D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1090 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 15:32:08 »

Thanks very much.

No super/win key, whatsoever? I don't know how wise of a choice that is.

Well, normally I use a Model M and Linux, so I have neither key, but I accept that they are useful in other circumstances.

So an easy addition in keeping with the design goals is to add "Win" and "Menu" to the lower-right 1.25 mod key.

I would lose the caps lock to something like Fn+Shift and use the Caps as a 2nd Fn.  Then you can use Fn2 and your arrow keys for win/menu mods if you need and of course plenty of space seeing as it'll be a 3rd layer.

I like this conceptually, but I need to ponder it more.  Moving lock is fine, although I'd probably want to make it Fn-Right_Shift so it isn't a double-finger stroke.

I had been avoiding remapping the Shift keys because sometimes things like AHK or xmodmap can conflict with the keyboard controller.  I had to go through that to remap Scroll_Lock to VolDn and it was annoying.

Thanks for the input y'all!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1091 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 15:41:34 »
I like this conceptually, but I need to ponder it more.  Moving lock is fine, although I'd probably want to make it Fn-Right_Shift so it isn't a double-finger stroke.

That's exactly how I  have it set up, it is an extreme rarity that I have a use for CapsLock.  With the right firmware you can also do interesting things like have Fn plus your default arrow locations map to mouse-keys.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:19:49 »
I use caps lock for a 2nd layer at work all the time for autocad commands. Like caps + M = match properties, caps + t = trim, caps + l = lock layer......

It's super handy and saves me soooo much time. I also have another script that turns caps lock on when autocad is the main window and turns it off when it's not the main window. Super nice so I don't have to remember to not scream at people in emails

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:22:47 »
I use caps lock for a 2nd layer at work all the time for autocad commands. Like caps + M = match properties, caps + t = trim, caps + l = lock layer......

It's super handy and saves me soooo much time. I also have another script that turns caps lock on when autocad is the main window and turns it off when it's not the main window. Super nice so I don't have to remember to not scream at people in emails

OK, thanks, and I have to say that your final sentence actually made me laugh out loud.  Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit] I need something like that for when I switch from a coding window to an IM window. [/edit]

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1094 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:40:37 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wfvat9bdcerwnd/Disable%20Capslock.ahk
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u9nhh59slp6jhs/Caps%20Lock%20Fn%20Layer.ahk

Those are the Autohotkey scripts. The "Disable Capslock" disables caps lock, sets caps lock on when in AutoCAD and allows you to shift + capslock to turn it on manual in any program, open this one first. The "Caps Lock Fn Layer" is where you put all the codes for the capslock layer. Right now, it's just caps + 1 = F1...... it's really simple to edit and I'm sure there is a lot that could be done.

Both of these scripts will be useless once the GH60 comes out, but until then......

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #1095 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:57:01 »

I feel very low tech. I rarely use capslock and used to get frustrated by occasionally knocking it on and typing in caps, nowadays the first thing I do on windows is change the capslock cancellation to be done by pressing shift.  Start a new sentence with a shifted capital letter and capslock is gone...
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1096 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 17:02:38 »
How is this as an ANSI layout for a 60% keyboard? 

Make the order of the arrows Vim style! :)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1097 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 17:07:58 »

I find the Poker's approach to nav keys to be intuitive.  Perhaps that works for me because I rarely use the right mods and find the nav keys by feel.  Anyway, this flexibility is the beauty of a customizable firmware.

I can solder SMD just fine, but would pay to have pick and place done in the interest of time.  That's alotta diodes.
Russ

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1098 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 17:10:03 »
How is this as an ANSI layout for a 60% keyboard? 
beige/green

Make the order of the arrows Vim style! :)

I would have done, except then I can't use the ?/ key as the up arrow in a normal inverted T.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #1099 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 18:55:27 »
I just realized that I already have everything I need to build one of these, though I may need to bend my own space bar wire. Put me down as highly interested.