Author Topic: Please help me choose my first mechanical...  (Read 2390 times)

Offline niko92

Please help me choose my first mechanical...
« on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:06:34 »
As the title says i could really use some help with this. I actually already want a Pok3r 3 keyboard but I'm really confused with all the switches options. After some research i'm still not sure if i want Cherry MX red , brown or clear.
I want something that works well for all types of gaming (all genre's but mainly fps and rts) and also comfortable for typing (because i just started learning to code websites), a jack of all trades if you will.
My style of typing is soft and accurate because i have slender hands.
And no, i do not want 2 keyboards.

Offline tofgerl

Re: Please help me choose my first mechanical...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:14:04 »
Sounds red to me.
Look, the difference is not all that huge. If you spend all your days typing on a keyboard like me, you're going to notice the difference, but it's by no means as big as the difference between say a pasty logitech and ANY mechanical keyboard.

In the Zealio GB thread you can pick between springs of 62, 65 or 67 grams. Outside of this forum that is ridiculous, but the people in the thread can actually feel the difference. But they've been in this hobby for a while and have tried all kinds of switches. You and me? Nah, we're newbies and will just be happy with the default choice.

Having said that, trying a tester or at least going down to the store and trying what they have is always better than reading or youtube videos.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:16:31 »
The thing is, that no matter what it is very unlikely that you are only ever going to use one switch, or that you will get everything you want on your first try. The best way to find out what you actually like typing on vs what you think you like typing on, is to really try everything. However, with all that being said, I guess if I were in your position I'd go with Browns. Cherry linear switches are no fun (which shows just how subjective this is  :p), and based on your described typing style, you might find Clears a bit heavy.

But really, it is hard to tell what you will and won't like until you use it. Best of luck with your choice. The Pok3r is a nice board. Just remember to be open to learning the layout adjustment.

Edit: And Welcome to Geekhack!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline fishcola

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:41:03 »
hi,

I'd try mx browns or blues. Browns have a light tactile point, and are nice for typing, and blues are tactile as well, but also click. If you use a headset for gaming, maybe avoid a clicky switch. My friends hate when I'm using one of my boards ;D.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:49:37 »
I usually recommend Browns for a first mechanical. They give a good reference for the other types of switches. They're a bit of an in-between switch, though, so most people don't end up with Browns as a favourite switch. They're just a little heavier to press than Reds due to the tactility, but a lot lighter than stock Clears. I actually enjoy using them, although I prefer modified Clear switches since I like having a larger tactile bump than the Browns have. You can get an idea of if you need / enjoy having tactile switches or if you'd prefer to lose the bump and go linear. The spring strength gives you a good reference point, too. Heavier tactile = Clears, heavier linear = Blacks, same linear = Reds, similar tactile but with bigger tactile bump = ErgoClears / Zealios.

It all ends up being personal taste in the end. You can game the best on the switch type that you like the most, since you're then most comfortable with the board. There is not one best gamer switch and one best typing switch. I find I game and type best on ErgoClears, so I'm really excited about the new Zealio switches that Zeal has had made by Gateron. In fact, from what I know of Gaterons and from the reviews by GH members I'd say they're the best MX-compatible switch yet made (and I'm including genuine Cherry MX). I'd recommend you to get those straight off, but you'd need to buy a board first and then the switches and swap them out (desolder the old ones and solder these in).

If you're okay at soldering you can replace the switches in your board with any other MX-compatible ones at a later date, try different springs, add a few other mods, etc. So I recommend you get the Pok3r with Browns and see from there what switches you'd like to try next :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 14:16:49 »
Best for FPS: Red or Black (black is heavy spring)
Best for typing: Modded Clears

Since it might be hard for you to get a board with modded clears, I'd vote for Red.  Brown doesn't get much love on these forums, but it can be OK.

Clicky MX switches like blue/green/white get a lot of love from new guys, but their design is flawed and makes them odd to use if you've tried all switches.  However, most newbies won't notice and won't be affected by the design flaw.  They are noisy though, and personally I think they're the worst for FPS.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 17:35:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :)

As an alternative to the usual modern Cherries, I'd say if you have delicate hands and require a switch for typing and gaming, I think a good choice might be Montereys (SMK Alps-mount blue switches) actually. I type like an ogre usually, but after two weeks of Montereys I was typing so softly I couldn't use any of my heavy boards anymore. They're very smooth, very delicate, great for typing, and very nice for gaming too (easily tappable, no hysteresis!) Montereys are one of the more respected and liked switches out there, and for good reason!

Normally I'd recommend an AT101W but they might be a tad heavy for you.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ajx

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 18:20:19 »
I usually recommend Browns for a first mechanical. They give a good reference for the other types of switches. They're a bit of an in-between switch, though, so most people don't end up with Browns as a favourite switch. They're just a little heavier to press than Reds due to the tactility, but a lot lighter than stock Clears. I actually enjoy using them, although I prefer modified Clear switches since I like having a larger tactile bump than the Browns have. You can get an idea of if you need / enjoy having tactile switches or if you'd prefer to lose the bump and go linear. The spring strength gives you a good reference point, too. Heavier tactile = Clears, heavier linear = Blacks, same linear = Reds, similar tactile but with bigger tactile bump = ErgoClears / Zealios.

It all ends up being personal taste in the end. You can game the best on the switch type that you like the most, since you're then most comfortable with the board. There is not one best gamer switch and one best typing switch. I find I game and type best on ErgoClears, so I'm really excited about the new Zealio switches that Zeal has had made by Gateron. In fact, from what I know of Gaterons and from the reviews by GH members I'd say they're the best MX-compatible switch yet made (and I'm including genuine Cherry MX). I'd recommend you to get those straight off, but you'd need to buy a board first and then the switches and swap them out (desolder the old ones and solder these in).

If you're okay at soldering you can replace the switches in your board with any other MX-compatible ones at a later date, try different springs, add a few other mods, etc. So I recommend you get the Pok3r with Browns and see from there what switches you'd like to try next :)
MX Brown is a safe choice for a beginner
MX-Red in the other hand, might feel too light and cause typographical errors more than any other MX switch

Offline jennb

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 18:34:19 »
Hm. I have small hands even for a girl, thin fingers, and a bit of numbness, especially when it is cold. I have used only modded MX Clears, Topre, & MX Red. The MX Red board I tried was way too light for me--either typing or gaming. Clears, pretty perfect. Topre, well, amazing, but maybe not for gaming. I'd focus on your gaming needs first, typing second, but that's my ten cents. So, maybe MX Browns?

Someone else said it: you're going to go through more than one keyboard. So much weighs into the experience: switch type, sure, but also how switches are mounted, keycaps, and the board itself. I don't know how anyone decides what's perfect for them without attending a meetup and trying out various boards. Worse yet for your wallet is the fact that you can rotate out boards/switches and have a new perfect board every week.

Consider yourself warned, and good luck!

Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 05:50:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Lots of suggestions above, mostly something to do with MX browns :))

Really no-one can tell you which switch or keyboard you'll like the most, apart from you, and then only after you've tried a few keyboards.

Some people do find reds/browns/blues way too light (like me, for example) and prefer stiffer switches.  Others find reds/browns/blues too light, but get bad finger/wrist pain using stiffer switches for extended periods, and thus are relegated to using the lighter switches.  Still others try Topre and absolutely love it.

The best thing you can do is find a shop that sells mechanical keyboards and will allow you to try a few.  That way you can type for maybe 5 minutes and see what you think of a couple of different switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline krbuck

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 08:48:10 »
Welcome Nico92.

I was in a similar dilemma trying to figure out what to get. I had used a gaming keyboard (corsair) with cherry reds mostly out of ignorance... because most of my keyboard work is typing not gaming. For me at least, reds are just not a good typing experience, but are fine for games. I wanted just a little tactile feedback which the browns provided.

I ended up geting a Pok3r with browns as others might suggest doing. They are a good middle ground for both. I did purchase a tester too; that's helpful, but really you have to use it for a few weeks to be sure you are on the right track.

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 09:29:08 »
As the title says i could really use some help with this. I actually already want a Pok3r 3 keyboard but I'm really confused with all the switches options. After some research i'm still not sure if i want Cherry MX red , brown or clear.
I want something that works well for all types of gaming (all genre's but mainly fps and rts) and also comfortable for typing (because i just started learning to code websites), a jack of all trades if you will.
My style of typing is soft and accurate because i have slender hands.
And no, i do not want 2 keyboards.

Based on your needs, I'd go with browns, but not from Cherry. Kailh and Gateron produce clone switches that have the same characteristics (45g actuation, tactile, non-clicky), but are smoother than Cherry. My daily driver at home is a Razer BlackWidow Tournament Stealth, and it's a near-perfect balance of typing and gaming for my needs. That one uses switches that are Razer branded but produced by Kailh. Gaterons are the smoothest of the lot, but are a bit trickier to find. The Varmilo VA87MR has them, but more should be coming online.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2015, 09:48:13 by saturnotaku »

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 09:45:23 »
I was going to suggest two boards  :) :)

As mentioned, Reds might not be a good idea for typing since there will be unwanted errors sometimes. You can get used to it ofcourse but I found that errors still occurred even after I got used to the lightness.

If you are pursuing coding or the like, I suggest you look into a Topre board later on. In my experience, it's the best for such things as typing and coding.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 22:10:14 »
MX Browns are great starting point for a first mechanical keyboard.  It's a lighter key, but if you come from using very heavy keys you might want to go with clears. Here are two links detailing the specs and force curves of the various switches.
http://superuser.com/questions/366221/differences-between-cherry-mechanical-keyboard-switches
http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/
Choosing a single switch is difficult, but I agree that brown is the best all around switch.  The others are a gamble and there are many, many reasons that you may not want to choose one.

You need to choose a from factor.  Most people are shying away from the less used numberpad in lieu of 60 -%80 sizes.  THere is no one perfect keyboard and each one will give up something that you were looking for.  Me personally, I'd prefer
the smallest layout possible to make room for the mouse and things.  Your neck, elbows, and shoulders will thank you.  Make a list of most important options.  Visit the manufacturer's site and check amazon reviews (with a grain of salt). 

Any questions you will find plenty of enthusiasts and gurus who could not be happier to help someone new looking for a purchase.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline niko92

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 15:44:25 »
Thank you all for your replies, after reading everyone's opinion and consulting with a close friend I have decided to go with Pok3r 3 red switches. Maybe I'll take the time some day to mod some clears intro ergo clears but for now this will have to do.