Author Topic: [IC] custom Layout 73% With numpad&arrows  (Read 4705 times)

Offline TruffleShuffle90

• Divine Keyboards
[IC] custom Layout 73% With numpad&arrows
« on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 01:54:25 »
So I am in the process of making a PCB for this layout. However I'm still trying to decide what layout to go with. The idea is basically an expansion of the gk64/66 which I currently own and love. The split space and the layer changing function key make it super convenient for work, where I am constantly using the numpad as I work with numbers all day long.

The idea is that the function key would allow the Fkeys to be accessible as a 3rd option behind numeric and symbols, on the numpad side of things it would allow the numpad to be used as your numlock, scrlk, pause, ins, home, end, pg up and pg down keys.

This was my first design and take on it..
244666-0

This is the compact versions design
244664-1

I honestly like both but am leaning more towards my first design as I like the idea of having the isolated arrow keys with a little bit of room between the main keyboard and the numpad. Also I think it looks better, or has a better flow to it. Whereas the compact version feels a little cramped.

I recently purchase the gk73s and am excited to use it once it comes in, however i had a few minor issues with the layout on closer inspection. I loved the concept but thought it could've been done better.

interested to see what the communities insight on this layout would be, and wanting to hear any suggestions, if you would be interested in doing a group buy once I have everything planned out and or if you just plain hate it.

Thanks

Offline fropsie

Re: [IC] custom Layout 73% With numpad&arrows
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:02:13 »
Would be interested to see a board designed around this PCB concept!

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:03:56 »
I like the bottom layout better!

Offline TruffleShuffle90

• Divine Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:08:50 »
Also the picture on the first layout is the wrong 1, the following picture is the most recent version with it being brought in a little tighter and shortening the function key.
244668-0

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:13:47 »
i looks a bit off but i like the idea!!
pls nobody come in to try to shut this IC down cos of the layout showcase (or to try to gate keep this :( really do like the idea)
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:47:27 by roguesystem087 »

Offline lz2019

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:22:38 »
Also the picture on the first layout is the wrong 1, the following picture is the most recent version with it being brought in a little tighter and shortening the function key.
(Attachment Link)

I like the 1st layout, with small room between arrows, main keyboard and numpad.
Agree with the other reply that the impression of it largely depends on the case too, so maybe a whole kit makes it better to judge. 

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:16:27 by lz2019 »

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:07:39 »
Truffle!!!!!??? just kidding, you know why lol

I like the second one, but would like it more, if the arrow was shifted .25u down and right.
And the numpad would move .5u to the right.

Like you, I like the isolation between the clusters, but the separation on the first one seems too far apart.

Good luck with the IC though, it's definitely interesting!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:10:01 by jmsp0511 »

Offline fropsie

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:08:28 »
(Attachment Link)

I would suggest trying to close up the gap between the space bar, function and alt.
The 0.5u caps are a bit out there, and unfortunately not in the best of ways. The concept is pretty interesting though.
Also there is a pretty large gap between the Ctrl and left arrow that is not the most appealing.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:21:58 »
I would suggest trying to close up the gap between the space bar, function and alt.

I would suggest to use a common space bar size like 6.25u or 7u.

I know only 2 Logitech boards (G610 and G Pro X) which use 5.75u space bar and I've never saw any keycap set having this size of space bar.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 17:26:50 »
Yeah second layout is a big no-go in the keycap department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 02:44:21 »
Yeah second layout is a big no-go in the keycap department.
First one too, 5u and 2.5u space bars are also non-existing sizes.

The other issue in all layouts is the numeric block which is shifted one row up than usual, so only non-sculptured profiles like DSA, XDA or KAM will work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 02:47:43 by dmatx1 »