Author Topic: Mandolin Crystal Model M confirmation?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Mandolin Crystal Model M confirmation?
« on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:28:04 »
Hey guys, I may have stumbled upon a late-date ultra-rare Model M with the og mandolin crystals. Can someone please confirm if this model lines up?

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:39:48 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline yui

Re: Mandolin Crystal Model M confirmation?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 02:26:08 »
from what i have read online the guy is pretty much a scammer:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1le8ut/rarest_ibm_model_m_mandolin_crystal_500/
so that's that
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 08:17:49 »
This reminds me, we haven;t heard from Mandolin in years. I miss him.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 14:38:11 »
from what i have read online the guy is pretty much a scammer:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1le8ut/rarest_ibm_model_m_mandolin_crystal_500/
so that's that
yeah he was an old GH meme, I'm not sure if anyone actually ever bought one of his $600 Model Ms lol

This reminds me, we haven;t heard from Mandolin in years. I miss him.
a relic from a time long passed...

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 21:11:09 »

he was an old GH meme

Huh? He was a dentist or dental student in South America. I was never involved with his keyboards, but I bought 2 of his miniature sculptures and they were exquisite.

One was a ceramic head of Sterculius with multiple varieties of hair for eyebrows, beard, etc, and the other was a very high-quality "zombie" sort of thing (and I don't even like zombies).
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 21:14:05 »

he was an old GH meme

Huh? He was a dentist or dental student in South America. I was never involved with his keyboards, but I bought 2 of his miniature sculptures and they were exquisite.

One was a ceramic head of Sterculius with multiple varieties of hair for eyebrows, beard, etc, and the other was a very high-quality "zombie" sort of thing (and I don't even like zombies).
I mean his caps were nice but what do most people remember him for lol

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 21:22:43 »
I always thought Mandolin Crystals were just a hoax

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 22:02:17 »
Ok, I'll bite.... what the heck are Mandolin Crystals and what do they do for a model M?
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 22:11:22 »

I mean it was a real thing, it just didn't matter at all lol

Ok, I'll bite.... what the heck are Mandolin Crystals and what do they do for a model M?

On some super early Model Ms, they used crystal oscillators on the controller. Apparently rare, but no one really cared anyway because it literally made 0 difference. But someone was still trying to sell them for hundreds of dollars.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 23:34:08 »

I mean it was a real thing, it just didn't matter at all lol

On some super early Model Ms, they used crystal oscillators on the controller. Apparently rare, but no one really cared anyway because it literally made 0 difference. But someone was still trying to sell them for hundreds of dollars.

I guess I'm a winner :

Unless they used some kind of fancy crystal.

Ok, I just did a little research, and it looks like they switched form the metal can Oscillator to a different package. Since all of them use some form of 6805, it wouldn't work without any kind of oscillator. But definitely not worth $500 :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2020, 23:59:25 by hvontres »
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 07:47:10 »
The crystal chips were known long ago but I have never seen one.

Several years ago, Mandolin had one or more Model Ms that had them and put them up for sale at a high price. Naturally, he was flamed mercilessly because the hobby was far more likely to rain down wrath on people charging high prices back then than they are today.

Because of the brou-ha-ha, those crystals became known thereafter as "Mandolin crystals".

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 09:11:51 »
Unless they used some kind of fancy crystal.

Your picture is not it.  It was literally a clear cube that looked kind of like a crystal. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87417.msg2357401#msg2357401

My prototype M was the source of Mandolin's insanity.  It happened to have the crystal so he thought anything with it was ultra rare.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 22:46:39 »
Guys! I just found a Model M with a Mandalorian crystal  ;D

296026-0

296028-1

296030-2
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 02:20:52 »
Guys! I just found a Model M with a Mandalorian crystal  ;D

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Dude! This is the only example of this variant (part no.) I've ever seen. I just added it to Wikipedia's Model M variants table. Thanks!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg