Author Topic: Are there hiragana keycaps for Keychron K3?  (Read 7378 times)

Offline muhashka007

Are there hiragana keycaps for Keychron K3?
« on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 18:54:28 »
I am very new to the mechanical keyboard world and I recently ordered the Keychron K3 a couple of days ago and I'm having a hard time finding any hiragana keycaps that would fit the K3. The only thing I know is that I should be looking for MX keycaps but I can't find a good site that sells hiragana MX keycaps. And I was advised to search for DSA keycaps with MX stem but that is high profile, maybe this is a dumb question but shouldn't the keycap be low profile since the keycap design is low profile? And I am more interested in low profile keycaps since I have only used laptops for the past 10 years so I'm not used to big, pc keycaps. Where should I look to find hiragana low profile keycaps that fit keychron k3? (Btw I ordered with Hot Swappable and with white switches if that helps).

Offline gingko

Re: Are there hiragana keycaps for Keychron K3?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 22:43:18 »
So just to clear up some things - the hotswap K3 has Keychron's proprietary low-profile optical switches. These switches have an MX stem so they should be able to support any switch with an MX stem but the low profile nature of the switch as well as the fact that it's proprietary make it difficult to know what keycaps will cause problems and bottom out on the board when pressed. This is likely why you were suggested DSA keycaps because they are lower in profile than say a Cherry profile.

You DO NOT want choc low profile switches. These connect to the keycaps in a different way than MX stems in that they have two little prongs sticking out of the bottom. You do not want these! They will usually have "choc" in the title or description.

Here's a comparison of the different profiles
https://i.imgur.com/QoNb7lO.jpg

You could try Cherry profile but there's definitely a higher risk of bottoming out. It seems like it's possible however from this video:
https://youtu.be/LM6pIhCVivo?t=360

So basically what you're looking for is a DSA or Cherry profile Hiragana set in whatever color you prefer and make sure it has matching keycaps to cover your board.

Offline ellelle

Re: Are there hiragana keycaps for Keychron K3?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 02:59:02 »
The problem with finding keycaps for the keychron k3 is that the stabilizers don't match up with standard mx stem keycap sets. The 1u caps will fit (at least DSA and XDA in my experience and don't bottom out), but you will be out of luck with any key that needs stabilizers. Hopefully keychron will make a PBT set that fits.