Author Topic: Note taking app  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Busty

Note taking app
« on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 08:18:20 »
A new occupation requires me to write more, that is how I discovered my interest in keyboard. It also means I need to use Windows more than Mac. On the Mac I managed information with DevonNotes and now I need something similar for Windows. I've been searching the net all sunday morning long without  finding convincing applications. My notes are mostly text based and occasionally got pdf attachments.
So, what are you using? Any hidden gems out there?
Busty

Offline itlnstln

Note taking app
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 11:42:26 »
MS One Note is pretty good.  It is part of the Office 2007 suite.

Offline wellington1869

Note taking app
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 14:07:06 »
I'm not familiar with devon note, but for PC check out the following:
onenote ($49 for students), evernote (free, highly popular, tagging, random entry, folders), surfulater (my favorite but I have particular needs, 2-pane notetaker/bookmarker), and search on ask.metafilter.com (for instance, see here: http://ask.metafilter.com/101791/Sugestions-for-a-lightweight-and-open-source-notetaking-and-outlining-editor) for tons of recommendations...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline CaptCarrot

Note taking app
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 15:42:56 »
Well, Opera has a built in note taking app, text only (no attachments) and no formatting tools, but yiou can highlight, right click and "copy to note".  Also, when you close Opera, and reopen, even if you turn the PC off or Opera crashed, it remembers your notes.  No need to save, it just does it.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Note taking app
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2008, 19:57:32 »
Evernote.  Takes notes anywhere and retrieves them from anywhere.  If all you are doing is text and some light imaging, a free account does the trick.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline secularzarathustra

Note taking app
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 October 2008, 10:21:22 »
Emacs is the best text editing software around. It has a high learning curve; however, being extensible, it can be updated, quite easily, to do anything you can think of.

Check out emacswiki.org for more info.

A good plus, it runs on windows, mac, and all *nixes.
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline zwmalone

Note taking app
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 October 2008, 15:05:05 »
I use OneNote.  It came with Microsoft Office (I know, but OO.o is horribly bloated on Windows) and I got Office 07 ultimate through school for $99.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Note taking app
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 12:11:07 »
I use Pen&Paper.app. You can't download it — you have to go a store and buy a pen and some paper, and then I jerk off os IO poadsj f;kjlvhaqsopi;fghja[oidjg[opianj ]potkq

Offline Busty

Note taking app
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 10:01:38 »
Found a solution for me in the newest preview version of zotero. Multiplatform, richtext, online back-up and syncing, outline, tags, perfect for attachments ....

Offline andb

Note taking app
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 16:23:45 »
I like the idea of using a simple online service for note taking. It saves you the hassle of making backups and is available from any machine. Downside is you need connectivity. I use google docs a lot for collaborative work, its great when 2 or more people need to work on a document, real time.

For notes, I personally use tomboy (linux mono app, might be a .Net version) and then transfer to a mediawiki that I keep online for my own use. I like knowing that I have real backups and control of my data, but I do realize this isn't a solution for everyone. There are a lot of good wiki softwares out there that can be used locally for note organizing, without putting a load on your machine.

I will admit that I used onenote from MS for a six month stretch (had to with a company I was consulting), and liked it. For me, it and Visio are the only things in Office worth using.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Note taking app
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 19:19:14 »
And Visio is a program that Microsoft bought right before releasing Office 2003.

Visio 2003 has almost the same interface as a demo of Visio 1.0 (for Windows 3.1!) that I've played around with. :eek: