Author Topic: Preferred writing instrument  (Read 14568 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Preferred writing instrument
« on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 10:41:37 »
For those of you who've not yet achieved that truly paperless office state, and still remember pen and ink, what is your preferred writing instrument?

One would imagine that people who are fussy about keyboards would be just as fussy about pens and pencils. While at university I gave up decent pens -- kept losing them (and dropped pens didn't remain at rest where dropped, have to ask Sir Isaac about that one) -- and went over to regular ballpoint pens. Practical (will write on more surfaces, ink dries rapidly) and nice to sketch with (as you can shade them almost like pencil) but do they ever blot!

I decided to go back to owning a fountain pen again, and picked up a Tombow Object about a year ago, with a medium nib with the same approximate 0.3 mm line width as a ballpoint. I'm so-so about it, and it's a toss up between that, rollerballs (Uniball Eye = lots of colours) and -- when they don't leak! -- Staedtler triplus fineliners (also lots of colours!)

I guess my mechanical of pens is anything with free flowing, proper liquid ink! (Gel hybrids feel constipated by comparison)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 11:04:03 »
Pilot Precise V5. Nice enough and cheap enough.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 11:49:18 »
I prefer to use an 0.5mm mechanical pencil. As long as it isn't bulky and the lead advance mechanism isn't obtrusive (clicking the back end works just fine) I'll use it.

I'm left handed, so ink has to dry almost instantly if I'm going to use it -- otherwise it ends up all over my hand, and the paper in various smudges :(

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 12:36:24 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;144773
I'm left handed, so ink has to dry almost instantly if I'm going to use it -- otherwise it ends up all over my hand, and the paper in various smudges :(

I know that problem. Overall I've had pretty good luck though.

Back when my beloved old but reliable Herlitz pen failed (a crack in the plastic that couldn't be fixed with super glue), I got some Schneider one that I put up with over the last few years. Oh dear. Not only would that thing use every opportunity to clog up, the rubber grip soon started to expand and prevent the cap from sliding on.

(What's that expanding rubber problem anyway? Same happened on my old cheap LED flashlight.)

Now I've got a rather nice metal one. Pick it up after a few weeks and it Just Works[tm].

I don't use a pen very often these days, with no lectures to attend any more. Some drafting usually involves a ballpen or mechanical pencil.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 12:45:01 »
Cross made these really neat line of miniature gel pens that clipped to a keychain attachment a few years ago. You pulled on both ends of the pen to expand it and pop the ink tip out. The grip is a very easy to grasp triangular grip and besides loving the writing motion and the control I had with that pen, the added benefit was that it was one of the few pens I couldn't lose as I'd just attach it to my keychain.

I don't think they make these anymore and the only one I have left is in sad shape. :(
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 12:46:49 »
Woo Hoo! They still make my favorite pen... or at least someone still has inventory to sell. I'm ordering today!

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Ion-Plasmic-Green-Gel/dp/B0006H7OYC/ref=sr_1_51?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1261593953&sr=1-51
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 15:09:22 »
I carry a hacked Moleskine at all times, and I was using Pilot G-2s until I found the Sharpie Pen.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline tonywalk

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 15:21:02 »
Quote from: Daniel Beardsmore;144758
For those of you who've not yet achieved that truly paperless office state, and still remember pen and ink, what is your preferred writing instrument?

Can't use fountain pens coz the scratching of the nib goes right through me and struggle with some roller balls and gel pens coz I like friction to aid my (not naturally - I'm 70/30 left handed) right handed writing. I also hold the pen oddly.

So, my fave biros (in no particular order) 1) Laszlo's own that the shop near my secondary school used to sell (c. 1979). 2) Oddly, given they bought the patent off Mr Biro, are BICs own regular everyday pens. 3) Parker's - outer irrelevent as refills all the same. 4) Not used one for a while but Sheaffer's used to be even nicer than Parkers. There's some good ones that turn up in corporate branded pens (that aren't Parkers :smile:).
Daily use - 1391406 - UK layout - mfg 1989-11-16 - bought with a Model 30 for a tenner just for the keyboard.

Also have 10 other UK model Ms of similar vintage bought for 50 pence (yes!) each.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 15:53:37 »
My top current top four fountain pens:
  • Parker 180 in stainless, since 1972
  • Parker Sonnet Sterling
  • Rotring 25 stainless
  • Waterford Carleton in burgundy (not Waterman; Waterford, as in fine crystal)
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 16:00:52 »
Papermate RT50. Smooth writer and very nice in the hand.

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 16:10:15 »
I am currently writing with a Pilot V-Ball 0.5mm (pure liquid ink).
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 18:07:37 »
Quote from: tonywalk;144852
Can't use fountain pens coz the scratching of the nib goes right through me...

Funnily enough, I find my fountain pen a bit scratchy. What's really bad, is Ripster's recordings of buckling springs -- the scrape of the spacebar sounds just like when you get your teeth scraped by a dentist! Argh! (No idea why spacebars sound so bad in recordings.)

I used to use disposable rollerballs a lot. The daftest one was, I think, the blue Pentel 0.5 mm -- after a while, the ball would wear itself loose, and then unceremoniously drop out onto the desk and roll away. After two of those, I decided they weren't a good idea any more.

I seem to recall that the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint was good, but for whatever reason I got into UniBall Eye micros (0.3 mm) -- such a gorgeous shade of blue. Wish you could get the full colour set in micro instead of medium, as I write very compact, fluid script that doesn't work well with 0.5 mm and makes me write larger and wider.

Fountain pens also have an irritating habit of only having 0.5 mm nibs -- I put this to Cult Pens and looked through the list of recommendations in the guy's reply that took 0.3 mm nibs, and picked the (petrol blue) Tombow Object as the most elegant and reasonably priced (I think there are designs I'd much prefer, but not at 0.3 mm):

Always nice that, for those of us who are a little particular, someone is there to offer personalised service! Just like The Keyboard Company.
Bore Awards

Offline J888www

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 18:40:43 »
Sailor Sapporo black colour with Rhodium trim 14K Music nib fountain pen, the smoothest pen encountered at present.
         I thought my Pelikan M400 Green Stripes Medium nib was perfect until I tried this Sailor Sapporo, there is no comparison.

Montblanc Ballpix no. 780 Blue 1978 Clip lever ballpoint, a writer which I use when the above is inappropriate.

These two are my regular daily writers.

For those who have some interest in Pens etc etc etc , have a visit to FountainPenNetwork, they live, eat and dream Pens.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline bigpook

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 19:09:57 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;144850
I carry a hacked Moleskine at all times, and I was using Pilot G-2s until I found the Sharpie Pen.
Show Image

I found these recently also, they work really well on paper. nice.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 19:20:43 »
I'm also a fan of the Uniball pens mentioned by Daniel Beardsmore, but not in the 0.3 size. My penmanship has always been very shaky as my hands adapted to typing over 20 years ago and fine lines only accentuate the jaggedness of my handwriting. Something 0.5mm in size is nimble enough, but thick enough that it smooths out some of the jitter.
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 20:53:21 »
Quote from: ripster;144933
I use these.
Show Image

That's cute that you want to share your murder weapons with us, but what do you use to give autographs, write songs on cocktail napkins, and sign your name?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2009, 21:59:40 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 22:22:33 »
Quote from: ripster;144948
I carry this along with a LOT of batteries.

Ah-ha! That's why you're the Ripster!
-

Offline mattgmann

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 22:39:07 »
#3 pencil.  Great for sketching on hard surface. Hard and precise.  Best of all, $2/doz.

Offline cheater1034

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 23:05:29 »
good ole' bic

Linux Kernel for desktops: http://zen-kernel.org
IRC: irc.rizon.net #zen-sources
ML: http://groups.google.com/group/zen_kernel
Use it! Supported on any distribution, managed through git.

Current Keyboard: Filco FKBN87M/EB (Brown Cherry)

Offline vyshane

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 23:26:52 »
I'm currently using a Lamy Studio. What I really want is a custom Nakaya Piccoro such as this one:

http://www.nakaya.org/etrial.html#pibc

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 23:52:44 »
Quote from: ripster;144959
Bic pens are great for breaking into bicycle locks.

Toilet paper tubes also work well for any cylindrical keyhole, from vending machines to laptop tethers to bicycle kocks. Poor, poor Krypton lock co.

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 04:00:53 »
As the mood takes me:

Parker 51 or 61
Sheaffer Triumph Snorkel or Touchdown
Esterbrook Dollar Pen with a 9128 flexible fine or an itallic nib (gotta love the ability to change nibs)
Waterman Philias
Zebra fine ballpoint
Zebra fine pencil
Heavy Cross-style ballpoint (my favorite being a red marbled brass-bodied Sharp International)
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2009, 04:06:19 by ak_nala »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 04:08:19 »
Or, if I want to get my aggression out:

Olympia SG-1
Hermes 8
Or even a Hermes 2000 or 3000, or an Olympia SM-3, but portables tend to move around a bit too much when one is being... enthusiastic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2009, 04:12:47 by ak_nala »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline J888www

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 07:05:50 »
Quote from: cheater1034;144957
good ole' bic

Show Image

This is what I call a good OLD BIC
Silver Plated
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 14:35:58 »
I've always liked to use old lead pencils. I have a whole collection of assorted pencils of different hardness:
1, 2, 2 1/4, 2 3/8, 2.5, 3, 3 1/2, 4, and 6. The good thing about lead pencils is they don't break as much as the graphite ones.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SCTony

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 10:21:42 »
I've been using a Zebra for seems like 20 years- cheap, sturdy, reliable. Kinda like me...well, the cheap part, anyway.

IBM PC-AT Model F ;  Model M-
    1391401 Aug 89, 92G7453 Nov 95, 42H1292 Jul 97
Compaq KB-9963 (rubber dome);
Cherry MX-SPOS:typing:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 20:12:47 »
My favorite, the Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil:

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2009, 20:14:52 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 22:48:14 »
I'm particular with pens, which one depends on intended use:

Mont Blanc Meisterstuck w/Ceramic Rollerball.  Fragile point and ink is a little slow drying but awesome to write with.

Pentel RSVP

Pilot G2, Parker, Classic Bic will also do the trick.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2009, 23:10:48 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 23:08:48 »
Mine is the good ol' standard government used Skillcraft ball-point.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2010, 00:47:08 by datamonger128 »
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 00:41:39 »
Whatever the cashier gives me to write out my signature. And the few times a year when I have to write a check, grab whatever's closest.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 December 2009, 19:05:16 »
Pilot V5, gripped, in black.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_432710145.htm

My handwriting is fairly bad, as for most of My life I have done far more typing than writing. I think I peaked at about 8 years old. I need an extremely thin point to achieve anything resembling decent writing. It looks like a small child wrote something in a hurry if I use a standard ballpoint. And the less said about my efforts with a Fountain pen, the better.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline mp29k

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 December 2009, 19:53:43 »
Parker Jotter in either medium or fine point.  Black ink.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 08:48:28 »
What's writing?

Offline cchan

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 19:20:13 »
It's a bit surprising to see so many fountain pen users here! Here are my preferred ones:

: Parker 45
: Reform 1745
: Pilot 78G

I like Sheaffer Skrip Washable Blue from the 1940s, Waterman Purple, J. Herbin Vert Empire, and Pilot Blue.

I also carry a Pentel Sharplet-2 A125 or Sliding Sleeve Sharp PS535 (gonna get myself a Sharp Kerry P1035 in pink sooner or later), a fine-point Sharpie or Pentel Handy-lineS permanent marker, and a chrome Fisher Bullet Space Pen in my left hip pocket most of the time. (I never leave home without my Space Pen; I take my Sharpie on school days; and my pencil is either in my pocket or my pencil case.)

I wonder if FPN is as picky with their keyboards as we are with our pens. There seem to be a lot of apple users there... probably on the Apple Aluminium Keyboard...
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 13:15:30 »
I picked up 2 boxes of uni-ball onyx and they're okay, the fine blue ones are kind of interesting sometimes (I think it might just be crap paper) but the micro black ones are great.  They're basically the same as the roller but thinner.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 08:50:27 »
Quote from: cchan;155228
It's a bit surprising to see so many fountain pen users here!

Not so much, IMO: Folks who are fascinated with the look, feel and sound of well-made, tactily-engaging, mechanically-interesting keyboards seem like exactly the kind of people who would be interested in the look, feel and sound of well-made, tactily-engaging, mechanically-interesting pens...

The interesting question becomes: what sorts of watches are they wearing? Are they succumbing to their geekiness and going all digital, or are they weak for a fine mechanical?
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline whininggit

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 08:55:41 »
Pilot V5 - consistent thickness, black IS black, never smudges, never gives horrible blobs, very smooth. Downsides - ham-fisted people are likely to bend the tip.

For pencils, I prefer traditional pencils and out of those, I prefer the Berol Venus (and not just because of the cool paint job).
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 09:12:19 »
Anything with a smooth ball, medium or larger tip and preferably a rubber grip is good for me.

Fine point pens piss me off; in an effort to put a dark, proper line on the page I always put them through whatever paper I'm writing on.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 09:34:33 »
I prefer Pencils to pens.  However, #2 pencils are over rated, #2.5 and higher are prefered, especially when those Scantron sheets say to use #2.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 09:43:09 »
Similar to pens, I dislike pencils that leave a light mark.

Not sure what the differences are but I've used pencils whose graphite had a 'dull but shiney' appearance and left a rather light-coloured line, and ones with a deep dark rich colour graphite which leave a nice dark line. They require considerably less force to leave a clear line and so are preferred.
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 09:55:04 »
For some reason, I like pencil better than pens, too.  My favorite writing device is this:

The Pentel Techniclick.  The best mechanical pencil EVAR.  I used one of these from my junior year in High School all the way through college.  I just kept refilling the lead and replacing the erasers.  I'm not sure what happened to it, though.  I want to get a new one, but I write so little these days, I just don't think I would use it much.

Offline cchan

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 21:30:16 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;155598
Not so much, IMO: Folks who are fascinated with the look, feel and sound of well-made, tactily-engaging, mechanically-interesting keyboards seem like exactly the kind of people who would be interested in the look, feel and sound of well-made, tactily-engaging, mechanically-interesting pens...

The interesting question becomes: what sorts of watches are they wearing? Are they succumbing to their geekiness and going all digital, or are they weak for a fine mechanical?
Interesting point... though I would have expected those in intimate enough contact with their keyboard to care about it would have that much contact at the expense of writing longhand. I can't picture a keyboard thread on FPN... and if there were one, there would probably be a significant AAlK contingent.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 23:11:47 »
I use a pen routinely at work, to take notes, scribble out ideas and work out some calculations.  I'm still looking for the perfect pen:  must be ball-point, heavy, stout-barreled, refillable, have a rubber/leather/synthetic gripper, and click-action (not capped).  I've used the Pilot Dr. Grip (it got me through grad school, in fact), which was fine but not terrific.  I'm currently using a Parker click-action ball-point pen, and it's very nice, better than the Dr. Grip, yet it's missing some of the requisite traits for perfection (no grip, barrel could be stouter).

At home I play around with black/white illustration, using technical pens and their allies, whereby I employ:  Sakura Pigma Brush Pen, Sakura Pigma Micron pens, and the Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens.

On this topic, one thing I don't get is:  what's the big f#*&ing deal about Moleskine (note/sketch)books?  There are lots of (note/sketch)books out there, all with terrific paper and great practical and aesthetic design ... why does Moleskine have this passionate following, as if their products were something more than the centuries-old-device-that's-seen-no-serious-improvements-for-longer-than-I've-been-alive that it is?  ("Marketing" is the obvious answer; if there's a less-obvious answer, please let me know what I'm missing.)

And besides, I feel sorry for all the moles that are killed to make those things.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2010, 13:00:09 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 03:23:31 »
Quote from: webwit;156381
They click with their pens and can't seem to decide between the on and off position of these antiquated pigment devices, so it's best to switch a 1000 times to make a balanced decision, while I am trying to get into a train of thought.

Yeah, that's basically me.

*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

*SCRIBBLE*

*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 04:15:22 »

YEAH

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 07:27:00 »
I have no use for pens, I never use pens, and I don't like dinosaurs around me with pens when I am working.

This.  I hardly ever write anything anymore.

They click with their pens and can't seem to decide between the on and off position of these antiquated pigment devices, so it's best to switch a 1000 times to make a balanced decision, while I am trying to get into a train of thought.

If I do have to use a pen for something (usually a quick meeting where taking my laptop is more of a PITA than a help), I'm that guy.  I don't know why, either.  I think I just like the buckling spring effect.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 08:14:48 »
Yeah...Model M is louder than a clicking pen, and almost certainly more annoying.

I do enjoy clicking pens as well. Seems I'm, by my very nature, quite good at irritating a particular person around here.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:14:42 »
I have no use for keyboards, I never use keyboards, and I don't like dinosaurs around me with keyboards when I am working. They click with their keys and can't seem to decide between the spacebar and backspace, so it's best to type each a 1000 times to make a balanced decision, while I am trying to get into a train of thought. Some are worse and get into this whole world of how different models of this trivial device do stuff better like there is some magic to it. In the keyboard world, the more ridiculous and pompous the name, the better it is. Come on, get a life, and do something respectable, like endlessly discussing trivial tablet devices. And shed that key feel crap.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:22:04 »
Gauntlet. Thrown.

*Goes back to find that damn bag of popcorn*

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:22:44 »
Quote from: webwit;156528
That's an outrageous tone of voice. I think I'll report you.

I laughed out loud.  Thanks, WebWindows.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 16:54:39 »

A cheap, tacky, plastic one that tells the time, scratched, and now 14 years old. Maybe one day I'll move onto watches, but I can't imagine it right now.

A good keyboard won't get you a date (despite the incredible elegance of a FILCO); it's there so you don't spend all day feeling like the keyboard is full of sand and stones sunk in gunge. (Finally replaced my diabolical Dell keyboard in the office with a smooth Cherry brown FILCO, so now I get to sear out my eyeballs with those blue LEDs =)

All a watch needs to do to be good is to tell the time well enough that I don't miss the bus, and cut short my sleep every day so that I make it into work.

Besides, a fancy watch on the wrist of a flagrant nerd is like lipstick on a pig :)
Bore Awards

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 17:01:07 »

I'm not sure I agree that digital watches are empirically more geeky than mechanical watches.  A fine automatic with a titanium case and accurate to within 1 sec/mo is an inspiring piece of engineering, and probably requires more design acumen than a gadget-crazy digital watch.

That said, it's really difficult to out-geek this.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 06 February 2010, 04:07:29 »
Pentel P205!!! I use that darn thing every minute of the day =)

For long sketches or writing I take off the metal clip and end cap and  make sure I have B or 2B lead in it and I am a happy camper.

I also love my Cintiq grip pen with felt nib (it makes me happy)

...and about ten million other writing implements =P (I seriously need to learn how to throw things away)

My favorite 3 though would be (although rarely used)-
-custom lathed cork clutch/leadholder pencil .25" lead!!! (was a gift from a coworker)
-I made a titanium mechanical pencil for that same coworker (and had I not given it as a gift I would probably take it with me everywhere)
-My 1/12,197 scale spaceship Bic pen. I made this pen as an inspirational project for the students at a college I was working at many years ago. I tossed it in my portfolio and got another SFX job off of it too! haahaa. It was great fun and a bit challenging (kinda hard to use but a great conversation piece). It had cabin lights, forward facing lights, a motor that spun what looked like a reactor core with a red light on it, and last but not least it had blue engine lights.

But I am never without my Pentel P205 or P207. I can never seem to find my P203 so I just use other companies 03 mechanical pencils.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory