Author Topic: ABS Keycap Grease!  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Abalone

• www.whirlwindfx.com
ABS Keycap Grease!
« on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 11:57:18 »
Hi Guys,

I am looking into replacing my ABS keycaps. I love PBT keycaps, but they just don't have the legend font that I love, and I actually like the ABS keycap feel. (I know going against the grain here)

Do you guys have any recommendations about finger grease? I bought these cheap keycaps from china, and they look awesome, but they seem to pick up grease easier than my Corsair K70 MK2 stock keycaps. I know they are both the same materials, but I am wondering why these keycaps are more likely to look "greasy" on the top face than the Corsair ones....

Thanks in advanced!

Timothy

Offline Findecanor

Re: ABS Keycap Grease!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 14:44:01 »
All keycaps made from ABS for backlighting are not ABS through and through. Some have a layer of paint on top with the legends laser-ablated out.
Some Tai-Hao keycaps made from double-shot ABS have some kind of antibacterial coating that people don't like.

I clean my keyboards and mice with isopropyl alcohol now and then. It cleans grease off quite well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 14:47:57 by Findecanor »

Offline Abalone

• www.whirlwindfx.com
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 15:32:14 »
Thanks for the response. I've done a little research on the interwebs, and it seems like some ABS caps are UV treated to reduce finger grease and create a slightly "rougher" appearance on the top of the keycaps which helps mintage that greasy look to them....I definitely see the grease stains on non-treated caps...

Thanks,

Abalone

Offline h.parks

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:08:05 »
I would try using an ultrasonic cleaner, as you probably don’t need more than water and a drop or two of dish soap to clean your caps with one. There are a number of inexpensive ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon, and they are also useful for cleaning eyeglasses, toothbrushes, razors, jewelry—all sorts of little things.
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love