Author Topic: [IC] TKF x Marrowss AGAINST THE TIDES | Cherry Profile | PROTOTYPE SHOWCASE  (Read 3697 times)

Offline jasonlee

• https://marrowss.com/
Hello Geekhackers!

We are Marrowss - a passionate team of mechanical keycap addicts from Scandinavia (http://Marrowss.com). This is our very first time showcasing our products on Geekhack. We got inspiration from the very classic Disney series: Pirates of the Caribbean. Look forward to receiving feedback from you guys!
Our design team's focus is to create the best usage experience, whether it is the aesthetic side of the product, its texture or the material used, all dedicated to our future customers. Apart from designing our own set, we choose to go to great lengths to challenge ourselves and commit ourselves to high quality and affordable keycap sets by establishing a manufacturing plant for keycaps (thekeycapfactory.info). This means that we are our manufacturer. For quality check, we will post a demo video with prototypes after the design is finalized. Therefore, we really appreciate it if you guys can spend some time giving us feedback.

TKF x Marrowss AGAINST THE TIDES
**THIS IS OUR PROTOTYPE**

We got inspired by the class Disney series: Pirates of the Caribbean. During that “Golden Age of Piracy” (late 1600s to early 1700s), the pirate life was filled with dangerous adventures, buried treasures, eye patches, and the Jolly Roger. Undoubtedly, it was hard and interspersed with life-threatening battles that only men with the most extraordinary gallantry and greatest length of wickedness could become legendary. With that set in mind, we chose red as our theme color to fully reflect that ruthlessly precarious nature of the pirate life. Hopefully, this keycap set will get you to relive one of the most interesting times in human history.

PROTOTYPE SHOWCASE
So sorry for the late showcase, Hope you enjoyed the holidays and although it's quite early but Happy New Year!
IC Form

We appreciate any criticism, changes, suggestions, etc from you guys. They will be of great help for us to perfect our set.
Furthermore, if you're interested, we do have a Discord to answer any FAQs and post any newest updates on our kits.
This will be sublimated PBT keycap sets (Cherry profile)

TO-DO LIST

1. Edit designs if needed
2. Update prototypes with new designs
3. Find vendors

KITS
With this set, we target to try something new and unique.  We are really aware of the fact that we may have some issues with the design but every member of our teams is still very excited to try out this new experiment. That's why we really need feedback from you guys to make necessary changes to the set  :)

Base Kit 1

Basit Kit 2

Ortho Kit

65% Kit

Alt Mods

Novelties

Alpha Kit 1

Alpha Kit 2

Davy Jones' Locker Kits

GB DATES, VENDORS, AND PRICING
To be Updated

Offline herfalerf

Re: [IC] TKF x Marrowss AGAINST THE TIDES | Cherry Profile | PROTOTYPE SHOWCASE
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 00:35:10 »
First? Is that a thing?

Anyway cherry legends would be nice IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 09:17:10 »
cant you go back and edit the original ic instead of posting a new one

Offline jasonlee

• https://marrowss.com/
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 10:15:54 »
cant you go back and edit the original ic instead of posting a new one

It's got hidden for unknown reasons, so we posted a new one

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 14:21:42 »
I opened this thinking it was going to be a cool sailing theme, but those - and + keys are the most offensive things I've ever seen. They ruin the aesthetic. Also, are there 5 flavors of "Davy Jone' Locker Kits???" You could squash this down to 3 sets easily and even that feels like a lot. This IC feels a little rushed.

All of that being said, there are some good things here. I thoroughly enjoy the kraken reaching up for the ship. That's a pretty cool idea there. Alpha kit 2 is pretty cool with having the map line lead over to X. IMO, you need to focus this up a bit more. Decide if you want base kits or if you want to offer alphas and mod kits. All of those Novelties are in your Alt Mod kit so it's unnecessary.
I recommend offering Base 1, removing space bars and enter from alpha 2 so that if they want the map they can still get it that way w/o having extra space bars, offer alt mods, reduce down davy jones' kits to 2, and cut Novelties/Alpha 1/Base 2/65%. Change the -/+ keys. They're horrid. Lastly, I would try to get more pictures/angles of the Proto. It makes the text on the keys look much better than their blocky forms in the KLE renders.
This would allow the IC to look less like a mess and much more professional. Just my 2 cents of course

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 17:08:44 »
Thank you for posting prototype photos! It's awesome you are hearing the feedback and applying them.

Looking at the legends of the keycaps, they look slightly blurry? But I can't tell super well since the image is slightly blurry and DoF'd. Also would love to hear a sound test.

Good luck!

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 17:23:48 »
Good to see new players for keycap manufacturing.

I agree that there are too many Davy Jones sets, I would leave 3 & 4 as those have the same color combinations as the base kits, to keep continuity (if that's what you want). I would also remove the drawings on the keycaps of Base Kit 1 as some people don't want pictures in their modifiers and you're offering them on Base Kit 2 and the Alt Mod. And, just for fun, shouldn't the treasure chest be below the X?

Curious as to what profile you're going to do, or if this is a new profile?

Good luck with everything.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 19:35:21 »
Too much for me. The font is especially atrocious. Looks like something you'd put on a keyboard children.
Is the world really big enough for TWO pirate themed key sets with the same colorway?