Author Topic: Acquired by Corsair  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Findecanor

Acquired by Corsair
« on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 11:50:12 »
Apparently, Corsair has bought Drop now ...
... and Drop owns Geekhack. Which means that Corsair owns Geekhack.

Corsair's press-release:
Drop will remain a separate brand within CORSAIR and all existing warranties, purchases and customer support requests will continue to be handled directly by the team at Drop.

Drop's blog:
Drop will continue as a brand, team and community within Corsair.  You may already know that Corsair also owns Elgato, Origin and SCUF brands, which continue to operate independently.

Edit: Posted on Reddit (/r/mechanicalkeyboards):
[–]drop_official Drop / Massdrop [score hidden] 41 minutes ago
geekhack, being under the Drop umbrella, was included in the purchase. We expect no changes to geekhack for the time being, but will of course share if/when that changes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:48:57 by Findecanor »

Offline Coreda

Re: Acquired by Corsair
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:48:57 »
Hopefully gh can just continue chugging along

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:57:48 »
I came here to see if anyone has mentioned it yet. CRAZY

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 21:06:11 »
Saw it on on discord but this could have massive implications but it's probably not, I don't think corsair even cares about GH but probably does know it now due to seeing drop's business purchases. However if they do influence gh it may do some serious damage to the platform. I hope that gh can keep moving on despite this, but this probably is nothing.

Corsair didn't purchase drop to take control over geekhack. Drop still has a brand/mainstream appeal in the holy thock, pe foam, hipyo tech normie areas that most people who build keyboards interact with, and has assets/experience that could be useful for corsair to build a "premium" line of keyboards for that audience. Their target audience is definitely not a niche group of people who know a lot about keyboards on an old forum that some people find confusing to use. So I feel that it might be another drop situation, where they just don't do anything to the platform because they know of the backlash/not the target audience.

My main concern is corsair trying to monetize this platform, by putting ads and using the personal data to personalize those ads which could ruin the user experience of the platform without an adblock. However this may be me fearmongering. From a business perspective, I wouldn't touch a platform that would just die if any changes were made to it, to squeeze out a very limited amount of money from a small group that would be more trouble and money than it's worth to change it in the first place (however businesses often never focus on the long term so be cautious)

I think we should be very cautious and push back when necessary, but I feel that it's unlikely that something will happen to the Geekhack. Would like to know other people's thoughts on this.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 July 2023, 12:51:58 »
Corsair didn't purchase drop to take control over geekhack. Drop still has a brand/mainstream appeal in the holy thock, pe foam, hipyo tech normie areas that most people who build keyboards interact with, and has assets/experience that could be useful for corsair to build a "premium" line of keyboards for that audience. Their target audience is definitely not a niche group of people who know a lot about keyboards on an old forum that some people find confusing to use. So I feel that it might be another drop situation, where they just don't do anything to the platform because they know of the backlash/not the target audience.

I think this is by far the most likely outcome; continue to operate the site as-is and don't rock the boat. It's still early enough in the transition process that we don't know exactly if anything might change long term, but I will relay any news and updates as applicable.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 18:09:56 »
First DPReview, now this.... I hope nothing happens to GH, cause I won't have a place to go :(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::