Author Topic: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit - GB LIVE - awaiting thread approval  (Read 26242 times)

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro

(GMK render)

GB SEPTEMBER 12TH

Vendors and pricing:

MOQ: 150
EU: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/gmk-n9-ortholinear-add-on-kit_1238/ / €41.99
NA: https://olkb.com/parts/gmk-n9 / $46.99

This is a very simple modifier kit with N9 base and CP legends, meant to work with sets with white and beige alphas, and most sets with alphas that have white legends.

Why a modifier only kit? Well many GMK sets don't have ortholinear support and some of those that do don't even reach MOQ. This set is in N9 due to its broad compatibility with many different alphas. I have tried to keep this set as minimal as possible while making sure that it supports as many different ortholinear keyboards as possible.

Renders:

Planck with GMK Monochrome alphas

Planck with GMK Space Cadet alphas

Preonic with Cherry MX black switches

To do:
- get a quote from GMK done
- contact vendors done
- commission a proper render provided there is enough interest and the full kit's keys are decided commissioned, waiting for them to be done! done
- set a GB date done, 09/12

Special thanks to:
- Jack from olkb for expressing interest in this set very early on
- keeb.io doing likewise and offering to buy this set in bulk
- David and Yuliia from mykeyboard.eu for all the help and bearing with me and my countless questions about gmk
- Oblotzky for the lovely renders
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2019, 16:47:47 by tvaro »
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:03:08 »
While In the past few years some ortho sets may have had trouble reaching MOQ, I can't say I've seen a single run that hasn't hit its MOQ for Ortho/40% in recent GB's.

Ortho has a big following now. 

I do Like a lot of these "Mix and Match" add-on options that have been popping up though.  Lets people make there ideal set/colorway without blowing big $$$.

Basically what I'm saying is...I'd be in on this if it gets to GB.  :thumb:

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:15:42 »
While In the past few years some ortho sets may have had trouble reaching MOQ, I can't say I've seen a single run that hasn't hit its MOQ for Ortho/40% in recent GB's.

Ortho has a big following now. 

I do Like a lot of these "Mix and Match" add-on options that have been popping up though.  Lets people make there ideal set/colorway without blowing big $$$.

Basically what I'm saying is...I'd be in on this if it gets to GB.  :thumb:

Good to hear - and you're right. However, there are still a lot of sets that don't have ortho options so this kit should still be very helpful ;D

Classifieds

Offline rooski15

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:23:30 »
Have 2 40s/Ortho kits on the way, but I'd still be interested in picking up the N9 just for it's broad compatibility.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:39:52 »
Plenty of people can pick up terminal, eclipse, SkIIdata, GMK nines, etc and add these in for ortho without a jarring color difference too.

Cool idea

Offline harlekein

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:07:10 »
I'd be interested if it got expanded. You can't cater to all layouts, but it would be nice if there was an R3 tab and an additional R4 shift.

Two R4 1.5 keys would also cater to Corne, Atreus, etc.

I am also thinking full icon mods would be flexible when used with weeb alphas, often sold separately, allowing to skip an expensive base kit.

I joined the GMK blank GB for N9 mods, but they didn't make MOQ on Corne thumb keys, so I went with CR instead. Depending on the price I would be in for this.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:43:00 »
I'd be interested if it got expanded. You can't cater to all layouts, but it would be nice if there was an R3 tab and an additional R4 shift.

Two R4 1.5 keys would also cater to Corne, Atreus, etc.

I am also thinking full icon mods would be flexible when used with weeb alphas, often sold separately, allowing to skip an expensive base kit.

I joined the GMK blank GB for N9 mods, but they didn't make MOQ on Corne thumb keys, so I went with CR instead. Depending on the price I would be in for this.

Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate it a lot. A R3 tab was intended, seems like I did two R2's by accident on the render and will fix that later.

As for the other extra keys - I will make a form in a couple days asking about extra keys and will be sure to include those.

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:43:48 »
Plenty of people can pick up terminal, eclipse, SkIIdata, GMK nines, etc and add these in for ortho without a jarring color difference too.

Cool idea

Thanks - N9 is a really great colour because of its broad compatibility so as an add-on kit it works wonderfully.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:46:15 by tvaro »

Classifieds

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 13:21:52 »
I’d be in if the legend color was CP but not for WS1. The original Ivan dolch as well as Kekkon’s re-run (which I’d personally want to pair these with) both used CP, while WS1 was used by Originative on their version of dolch.

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 13:52:53 »
Yes this is great. I'm in the GMK Blanks buy for N9 1Us, but even though I'd be in for legended mods.

I'd maybe consider CP rather than WS1 as I think it'll go with more kits, WS1 is very white.
Does it really need tilde and backslash keys, don't most GMK kits come with these already? Feels like not many people would want/need/use these keys but I could be wrong.
An R4 "command" or "super" and/or "fn" key would be nice to give Mac users a 3rd modifier and to give people a few more options with their layer keys.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 14:11:47 »

I’d be in if the legend color was CP but not for WS1. The original Ivan dolch as well as Kekkon’s re-run (which I’d personally want to pair these with) both used CP, while WS1 was used by Originative on their version of dolch.

Yes this is great. I'm in the GMK Blanks buy for N9 1Us, but even though I'd be in for legended mods.

I'd maybe consider CP rather than WS1 as I think it'll go with more kits, WS1 is very white.
Does it really need tilde and backslash keys, don't most GMK kits come with these already? Feels like not many people would want/need/use these keys but I could be wrong.
An R4 "command" or "super" and/or "fn" key would be nice to give Mac users a 3rd modifier and to give people a few more options with their layer keys.

I'll be doing a secondary form in a day or two to decide the legend colour along with some extra keys to add.

As for the tilde and backslash keys, though they are in the GMK sets many would prefer to have their whole outer layer of keys all the same colour; it's just a lot more satisfying.

Classifieds

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 15:38:12 »

I'll be doing a secondary form in a day or two to decide the legend colour along with some extra keys to add.

As for the tilde and backslash keys, though they are in the GMK sets many would prefer to have their whole outer layer of keys all the same colour; it's just a lot more satisfying.

Awesome, I’ll be sure to fill out the form then

Offline KevinSanToast

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 18:16:37 »
Any chance for two 2U spacebars?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 18:20:52 »
Any chance for two 2U spacebars?
Had someone on reddit ask me about that too. I’ll make a poll in a day or two about that among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classifieds

Offline vodan

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 23:43:00 »
Another vote for 2 2u space bars!
Also I missed the GMK blanks GB, so would not mind if there is a blank ortho version of this.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 07:55:12 »
Another vote for 2 2u space bars!
Also I missed the GMK blanks GB, so would not mind if there is a blank ortho version of this.

Thanks for the feedback - I just added a second poll with this as one of the options.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScwTsHjE3g5hDCSVXXuP6hAgl1c2DutEoHpfDxVRFL2eXpMZQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Classifieds

Offline deacon

Are all Row 4 blanks convex "spacebars"?

Interested based on price since I already have a ton of blanks ordered for this exact thing.

Offline Abec13

Maybe a less-white white would be more applicable here. Something like CP.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Are all Row 4 blanks convex "spacebars"?

Interested based on price since I already have a ton of blanks ordered for this exact thing.
Yeah, I’ll update the picture later to show that.

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Maybe a less-white white would be more applicable here. Something like CP.
Check the poll I posted. Currently it’s 70% voting for CP, 30% for WS1 - looking like it’ll change to that.

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (kit updated / third poll added)
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 08:02:54 »
posted an update and added another poll to see which R4 modifier key should be added :D

Classifieds

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 12:25:18 »
Wow, this is progressing really fast, nice one, it's looking really nice now.

Question: I don't know what options GMK have for ortho keys, but are you set on having text + icons on tab and enter keys, while just text on the others? I'm not against it, just wondered what the rational was?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 18:44:56 »
Wow, this is progressing really fast, nice one, it's looking really nice now.

Question: I don't know what options GMK have for ortho keys, but are you set on having text + icons on tab and enter keys, while just text on the others? I'm not against it, just wondered what the rational was?

Honestly, I just took the general format that all the previous ortholinear sets that I researched have taken, for the sake of standardisation. The only other keys I could see having an icon would be shift possibly but in my opinion it would still be a bit out of place.

Also - it'll look even nicer once I get some proper renders :)

Classifieds

Offline harlekein

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 03:00:56 »
However, less than a third wanted the two 1.5u keys so I likely will not add them for the time being to keep the price down.

That's too bad. I guess I'm out. GL with GB.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 05:59:51 »
However, less than a third wanted the two 1.5u keys so I likely will not add them for the time being to keep the price down.

I think I'll do a poll later today asking how many people wouldn't buy if 1.5u keys weren't included. I don't want to exclude too many people.

Classifieds

Offline robbieheart

Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (kit updated / new poll)
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 01:33:29 »
Im in!

Can we get a R3 CAPS and R2 backslash?

Tofu XD75  PC KBD67 MKII

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (kit updated / new poll)
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 05:57:33 »
Im in!

Can we get a R3 CAPS and R2 backslash?
What would that add compatibility for?

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 11:51:49 »

added them to the kit after a poll showed support for it :)

Classifieds

Offline harlekein

Great. Thanks for being so responsive.

As for R3 Caps? Who actually uses dedicated caps on any layout, let alone ortho?

Offline piit79

As for R3 Caps? Who actually uses dedicated caps on any layout, let alone ortho?

My thoughts exactly. The truth is, if there exists a layout, somebody somewhere will be using it... But it's not realistic to support all of them.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro

My thoughts exactly. The truth is, if there exists a layout, somebody somewhere will be using it... But it's not realistic to support all of them.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

yeah. not gonna be adding that, sry to whoever requested it.

Classifieds

Offline equalunique

Is it possible to have 4x R4 keys which aren't nav arrows? Non-default planck layouts & the atreus for example don't have arrows on the lower right side.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Is it possible to have 4x R4 keys which aren't nav arrows? Non-default planck layouts & the atreus for example don't have arrows on the lower right side.

Sorry - i don’t think I’m adding any more keys to the set. I want to keep it as affordable as possible and there’s already a decent amount of extra stuff :/

Classifieds

Offline harlekein

There's already 11 non arrow keys for R4 which should be enough.

Offline equalunique

There's already 11 non arrow keys for R4 which should be enough.

It's enough for someone using MIT layout or 2x2u layout. Not enough for Grid layout users.

Still very interested tho
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2019, 23:29:44 by equalunique »

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (New update / Renders by Oblotzky!)
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 06:00:48 »
posted an update with renders and some other stuff :)

Classifieds

Offline EMC Labs

Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (New Update / Renders by Oblotzky!)
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 07:23:00 »
Looks cool

Offline v1ld

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:21:54 »
I registered just to say how useful this would be.  I've just spent a couple days looking for ortho cherry profile sets and it's frustrating how you're forced to'mix and match from multiple sets.  I hope this becomes reality.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:26:40 »

...mix and match from multiple sets.  I hope this becomes reality.

I hear ya.

Currently am excited about combining this kit with GMK Oblivion V2 Hagoromo. :)

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 14:28:20 »
I registered just to say how useful this would be.  I've just spent a couple days looking for ortho cherry profile sets and it's frustrating how you're forced to'mix and match from multiple sets.  I hope this becomes reality.
Thanks!

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 14:28:36 »

...mix and match from multiple sets.  I hope this becomes reality.

I hear ya.

Haha me too ;)

Classifieds

Offline v1ld

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 17:55:42 »
I hear ya.

You just sold one more Hagoromo set. :)

Offline MdotMaxson

Re: [IC] GMK N9 Ortholinear Add-on Kit (New Update / Renders)
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 12:54:17 »
While you’re at it why not do ergo too?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 13:16:49 »

not changing the kit anymore sry

Classifieds

Offline rooski15

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 13:18:06 »

Sorry - i don’t think I’m adding any more keys to the set. I want to keep it as affordable as possible and there’s already a decent amount of extra stuff :/

Pretty much sums it up.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 21:48:09 »
Has there been an n9 ergo kit already? I saw someone looking for one on r/mm and that reminded me of this and I assumed there would be one

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 22:00:31 »
There is. It's N9 blanks with accents for Terminal and a few other sets that use N9.

Here's a link to it.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 23:30:30 »
Can't wait for this. Any update?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 12:43:45 »
Can't wait for this. Any update?

good to hear, thanks. gmk has got back to us and we are very nearly ready for the gb  ;D

Classifieds

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:11:50 »
Any update? Just can't wait anymore :(