Author Topic: Black vs silver case - Matching keycaps  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Merranza

Black vs silver case - Matching keycaps
« on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:46:38 »
Just curious to know for fellow geekhackers which case color is the best looking/easiest to match with keycaps. For sure, each keycaps set has different colors so some might fit better with silver and other with black but generally speaking, what's your favorite case color for most of your keycaps set.

Black seems to me like a classic choice and probably the safest way to go but maybe I'm getting tired of it as silver is maybe growing on me.

I was looking at renders of GMK Pulse, Mito Laser and Red samurai... my first thought was "well they all fit better on a black case" but looking at them on a silver case all of a sudden doesn't appear that bad looking.

Nothing scientific here, I know colors and tastes are subjective but I'm wondering if there's some consensus about it.

Offline abstractkb

• Abstract Keyboards Homepage
Re: Black vs silver case - Matching keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 13:30:41 »
I like space gray and feel like it matches anything, but silver works too.  I like the more industrial looks so most of my keycaps are gray base + accent color, might make me biased.

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 16:24:31 »
I feel like if you're going for neutral colors, silver might fit more.

However, if you enjoy color accents that POP (cyan, magenta, yellow, red) along with black/darker colored base caps, you might find more enjoyment with a black case :)

Offline Merranza

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 22:57:07 »
Ah thanks for your replies!

Pulse and Laser are definitely more flashy. Samurai and Carbon are probably more neutral (orange on Carbon stands out a bit more but not as much as Laser colors for sure).

I tend to favor a bit more black but I'm wondering if keycaps wouldn't pop a bit more on Silver/Space gray. Also wondering if I won't get tired of silver on the long term :)

Thanks for the input, really appreciated! I'll keep looking at some renders online before I make my final decision :)