Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 301092 times)

Offline i0nC4nn0n

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:47:41 »
It does if you want to cut a screw with that wire stripper.

Not with that exact same model, i have a worse one, this one to be precise.
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #401 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:52:01 »
I always use M2 x 4mm (0.4mm pitch) screws in my Poker-compatible cases.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #402 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:55:23 »
Anyone else notice a change in tone in this thread after it was linked to the noobs on Reddit? :blank:

I just hope mine arrives before Deductivemonkee's so i can steal all the karma :)
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:05:51 »
Anyone else notice a change in tone in this thread after it was linked to the noobs on Reddit? :blank:

I just hope mine arrives before Deductivemonkee's so i can steal all the karma :)
Probably. Canadian customs.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #404 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:08:58 »
Rekt.

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #405 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:15:37 »
Rekt.
I don't wanna nitpick, but it is the tool made for the job... Would you like to know more?
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:18:33 »
#rekt2012
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:40:27 »
Rekt.
I don't wanna nitpick, but it is the tool made for the job... Would you like to know more?

8/8, top diy know-how m8!

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:53:25 »
Rekt.

8/8, top diy know-how m8!

Appreci8 the r8, m8. Feels gr8!
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline Tyr

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:25:53 »

Dude sounds like Weebl  :)) I kept waiting for the punchline or a song about weasels or something.

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 13:45:05 »

Dude sounds like Weebl  :)) I kept waiting for the punchline or a song about weasels or something.

I was just trying to help, by pointing out (in a lighthearted way) that there is no need to overthink the screws, and that there is an option to cut them properly, yet easily with a simple tool. A tool that in my opinion everyone has laying around, who solders things. What i got in return is belittling: "hurr-durr look at that poor summer-child from the leddits trying to use a wire-cutter to cut screws, what a noob". I've been a long time lurker here, only PMing the issues/orders/requests that i had, and in retrospect i should have stuck to that and never post. Yours is indeed a tight-knit community, but from what i gathered in this thread not the most welcoming one.
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #411 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 13:51:01 »

I was just trying to help, by pointing out (in a lighthearted way) that there is no need to overthink the screws, and that there is an option to cut them properly, yet easily with a simple tool. A tool that in my opinion everyone has laying around, who solders things. What i got in return is belittling: "hurr-durr look at that poor summer-child from the leddits trying to use a wire-cutter to cut screws, what a noob". I've been a long time lurker here, only PMing the issues/orders/requests that i had, and in retrospect i should have stuck to that and never post. Yours is indeed a tight-knit community, but from what i gathered in this thread not the most welcoming one.

EDIT: nvm, i re-read what you said and realized that u ment the dude in the video, guess i had a few too many and overreacted; leaveing the post anyhow cause some of it is never the less true and for everyone to see how butthurt i can get.
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline Tyr

« Reply #412 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:06:47 »
EDIT: nvm, i re-read what you said and realized that u ment the dude in the video, guess i had a few too many and overreacted; leaveing the post anyhow cause some of it is never the less true and for everyone to see how butthurt i can get.

Crisis averted :thumb:
(I actually did watch the video and learnt something, so thanks - probably would've helped if I had led with that)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 17:57:43 »

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 17:59:14 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #415 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 18:09:09 »
I'm still waiting on two users to reply with caps lock preference.  I need those things soon so I can place the plate order.  I will be sending a nag PM to those individuals.

I'm sending an official order to hasu for the PCBs, so we are about to be locked in.

Currently 72/96 invoices are paid. 

Here is the current timeline:
Order from hasu tonight
Order from laser cutters tomorrow (pending caps lock questions)
Matias order hopefully Monday.
Everything else is unscheduleable at this time.  (is unscheduleable a word?)

So here is the take home message.  At this point, you're locked in.  If you want to cancel your order after today, you should find someone to buy your slot, because I won't be taking them when the money is out the door on my end. 

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 18:22:46 »
I'm still waiting on two users to reply with caps lock preference.  I need those things soon so I can place the plate order.  I will be sending a nag PM to those individuals.

I'm sending an official order to hasu for the PCBs, so we are about to be locked in.

Currently 72/96 invoices are paid. 

Here is the current timeline:
Order from hasu tonight
Order from laser cutters tomorrow (pending caps lock questions)
Matias order hopefully Monday.
Everything else is unscheduleable at this time.  (is unscheduleable a word?)

So here is the take home message.  At this point, you're locked in.  If you want to cancel your order after today, you should find someone to buy your slot, because I won't be taking them when the money is out the door on my end.

I love timelines that tell me what I just wasted strategically spent money on will be ordered!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #417 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 20:42:31 »
Come on.... 18 more orders needed for alps caps to drop... I don't want to pay retail price...

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 20:57:46 »
Come on.... 18 more orders needed for alps caps to drop... I don't want to pay retail price...
What retail price? I don't even think you can get them outside of a group buy.

I'm surprised it hasn't even got 100 yet. Last time it was a 500 MOQ, and even with KBP having to buy 200 sets to tip it, that was 300 orders from individuals. I guess they saturated the market. It would probably be doing better if they were offering new colors this time.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 21:42:05 »

I'm surprised it hasn't even got 100 yet. Last time it was a 500 MOQ, and even with KBP having to buy 200 sets to tip it, that was 300 orders from individuals. I guess they saturated the market. It would probably be doing better if they were offering new colors this time.

Massdrop has wayyy bigger reach than the folks that take time to comb through things on the hobbyist sites.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 21:43:41 »

Massdrop has wayyy bigger reach than the folks that take time to comb through things on the hobbyist sites.
I'm talking about Massdrop re-running the Tai Hao Alps sets, not Alpine Winter.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 22:37:18 »
Tiny bit delayed, but I paid up! Cheers Blue!

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 22:47:24 »

mk.com bought a bunch from the buy to sell at a markup, so no wonder so many were ordered.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 22:49:15 »

They could offer just about any non-obnoxious color combo there is and I'd buy it, because alps.

Last time round, I got Dolch, this time, Olivette.

I'm just so very pleased that there are folks out there with the considerable skill to design and engineer the things that make my alps love come to fruition. Thanks blue, njbair, jdcarpe, and hasu!
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 22:57:57 »
I just sent payment to hasu.

This ball is rolling.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 23:12:09 »
I just sent payment to hasu.

This ball is rolling.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 23:33:45 »

You can get the dolch/Olivette for $34 USD on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Quick. Plain black or Dolch.Does the dolch look as brown as in the pictures?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 00:13:33 »

You can get the dolch/Olivette for $34 USD on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Quick. Plain black or Dolch.Does the dolch look as brown as in the pictures?

Screw it. I got Dolch. I just wish is had a fn key and was in dsa rather than oem...

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #428 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 01:58:00 »
Can't be too choosy about Alps caps at this stage of the game. I can't wait to get a look at the new Matias PBT caps when they become available. It sounds like they are in the home stretch, production-wise.   :thumb:

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:13:31 »
Can't be too choosy about Alps caps at this stage of the game. I can't wait to get a look at the new Matias PBT caps when they become available. It sounds like they are in the home stretch, production-wise.   :thumb:

That's why I went with Dolch I wanted something a bit more unique than pure black, and that I'd be happy with it.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:18:23 »
I also went with dolch. Was originally going to use Alpine Winter on my Dell-plate and AEK2-caps on my... AEK2-plate. But I realized that getting AEK2 caps and stabs here in Norway (Where we only THINK we're in the center of the world) would be very expensive, since I would most likely have to pay international shipping for the entire board and then throw away everything but the switches when I was done. So 30 bucks with shipping for the Dolch set sounds easier. I might still end up going the proper AEK-route, but this way I can at least use the board while waiting for the proper time/walletsize to do it.

Edit: Oh, in case you're worrying that I don't know, of course I'll use Dolch on the Dell plate and AW on the AEK-plate due to the cap sizes on Dolch not being compatible.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:22:43 »
Where can I get a red esc key that I've seen? I know its made for Cherry but I saw it for alps a few days ago somewhere

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #432 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:27:23 »
Where can I get a red esc key that I've seen? I know its made for Cherry but I saw it for alps a few days ago somewhere
Signature Plastics sells a doubleshot alps red esc key.
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/esc-keys-dcs-sa/
Select ALPS stem and legend color from the drop down list.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #433 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 09:27:37 »

PMK/SP sells a Red Escape key in Alps...but I don't know what you've seen lol.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #434 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:15:01 »

You're probably talking about my Filco Zero with a red GEEK HACK cap on the Escape:

This pic was originally posted in my Tai Hao Alps Doubleshot review.

My boards:
More

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:37:25 »

You're probably talking about my Filco Zero with a red GEEK HACK cap on the Escape:

Show Image

I didn't know they made Filcos with XM switches. I read somewhere that you are using hasus usb-to-usb converter, why is that? Does the pegasus hoof not fit in it / different PCB design (different pin-out, no daughter-board, etc.)?
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 16:35:43 »

Show Image

I didn't know they made Filcos with XM switches. I read somewhere that you are using hasus usb-to-usb converter, why is that? Does the pegasus hoof not fit in it / different PCB design (different pin-out, no daughter-board, etc.)?
I've never actually had the Zero opened up, but I'm sure the Pegasus would fit and work fine. I just don't need one because I've already got the USB to USB converter set up and programmed for all my other boards that don't have those kinds of options.

I wrote a review of the converter (link under More in my sig), and I called it a game changer. That's because it replaces so many other controllers and mods, providing about 95% of the same functionality without having to remove a single screw.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:17:39 »
Cool elephants blue, but my favourite it the drunken delerium

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #438 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:24:51 »
Went to pay my bill. I'm curious though, why is shipping $9? Should be like $3-5 max if we're using a bubble mailer or a small box. Is the price including the shipping from Matias?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:39:40 »

Show Image

Cool, but no. What I saw was this:  http://m.imgur.com/a/Kqrx6

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #440 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:57:45 »
Cross post.  Tai Hao Olivetti on my V60 MTS-Q

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:59:52 »

Show Image

Very nice. I haven't even opened my Olivetti set yet. What do you think?

My boards:
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:07:42 »

Show Image

I like them. They are way better feeling then the stock V60 MTS caps.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #443 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:10:39 »

Show Image

I like them. They are way better feeling then the stock V60 MTS caps.
They are thicker than they looked in the Massdrop photos. They are pretty much as thick as SP caps. More quality issues, but overall, feel-wise they are very similar. A good deal for $20.

My boards:
More

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #444 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:12:59 »

Show Image

I've never actually had the Zero opened up, but I'm sure the Pegasus would fit and work fine. I just don't need one because I've already got the USB to USB converter set up and programmed for all my other boards that don't have those kinds of options.

I wrote a review of the converter (link under More in my sig), and I called it a game changer. That's because it replaces so many other controllers and mods, providing about 95% of the same functionality without having to remove a single screw.

I checked your review, found hasu's post regarding it, as well. In your review you said that you might wanna build one yourself using an "Arduino to use on my desk" (i presume you mean the Leonardo, since hasu mentions the shield for it in his thread), and i tought that that's a bit too large and i would want to build a smaller one. I found this page where they seem to have a smaller version of the shield that is pin compatible with the arduino pro mini 3.3V and they look nice and small together. Problem is that the pro mini has a different chip (that i don't think is compatible /w the firmware), but even if it where, it rocks serial instead of usb... never the less i could probably use that usb host mini shield and wire it to this thing that i got especially cause it can power another 3.3 or 5 volt device and has a stepup/stepdown converter (i was thinking along the lines of bluetooth). It is currently in my black dell (since than i found some 90s vintage white doubleshot keycaps for him), pinouts probably don't match at all, but i have some fancy wires laying around... Only issue is i can't seem to find the shield here in Romania... but i found something else that peeks my interests, check out this! Not that i have the firmware to make it work... but still, look at it, so cool!

(placeholder for 60%)

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:59:00 »
Went to pay my bill. I'm curious though, why is shipping $9? Should be like $3-5 max if we're using a bubble mailer or a small box. Is the price including the shipping from Matias?

Shipping for the US is $9 for everyone.  It is based on CONUS shipping + shipping supplies + distributed Matias shipping + tracking

Edit: Also paypal fees.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 20:02:08 by BlueNalgene »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 20:07:54 »

Shipping for the US is $9 for everyone.  It is based on CONUS shipping + shipping supplies + distributed Matias shipping + tracking

Edit: Also paypal fees.
I didn't even pay attention to the shipping.

It's nice that you won't have to sort all those switches by hand.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #447 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 20:11:31 »
Very glad to see Matias helping out on that front :). Thanks for the info BlueNalgene

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 20:16:04 »

Show Image

I checked your review, found hasu's post regarding it, as well. In your review you said that you might wanna build one yourself using an "Arduino to use on my desk" (i presume you mean the Leonardo, since hasu mentions the shield for it in his thread), and i tought that that's a bit too large and i would want to build a smaller one. I found this page where they seem to have a smaller version of the shield that is pin compatible with the arduino pro mini 3.3V and they look nice and small together. Problem is that the pro mini has a different chip (that i don't think is compatible /w the firmware), but even if it where, it rocks serial instead of usb... never the less i could probably use that usb host mini shield and wire it to this thing that i got especially cause it can power another 3.3 or 5 volt device and has a stepup/stepdown converter (i was thinking along the lines of bluetooth). It is currently in my black dell (since than i found some 90s vintage white doubleshot keycaps for him), pinouts probably don't match at all, but i have some fancy wires laying around... Only issue is i can't seem to find the shield here in Romania... but i found something else that peeks my interests, check out this! Not that i have the firmware to make it work... but still, look at it, so cool!

Show Image

I think we should move this to the review thread or hasu's converter thread, we're drifting pretty far off topic.

My boards:
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 23:25:52 »
Just a notice for everyone.  I am going to order the plates tomorrow.  Last call on changes.  I will placing the order around noon my time (12 hours 30 minutes from this post), and after that the orders are locked in.