Author Topic: My Terminus Mini Build  (Read 1811 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
My Terminus Mini Build
« on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 21:51:08 »
http://imgur.com/gallery/D58dT/new photo gallery of the build.

Well, for starters the keyboard works like a charm as i am typing this on it. This was my 3rd build, after an Infinity and JD40. This is my first ortholinear keyboard and outside of being a little awkward, it is extremely comfortable. Already looking into a Planck.

Ok, for a bit more details. The switches are Gateron Blues, and I must admit I am really, really enjoying them. They really are noticeably smoother than their Cherry counterparts. I can't personally tell any real difference in actuation force. The animus button on this keyboard allows you to type in "one" or "colon" etc. and get a "1" or ":" which is a cool little feature. The split space bar acts a a normal space when pressed alone, the right side opens up a second layer when held down similar to a Fn button.

Overall very happy with this fun little project and keyboard, I'll probably definitely buy another when the group buy happens again to try out some more of those Gaterons.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 23:25:18 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline slaction

Re: My Terminus Mini Build
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 01:59:36 »
Nice build.  I've been wanting to try the Gateron blues, but haven't got the chance yet.  Blues are my favorite switch so the idea of a smoother version sounds really great.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 02:04:16 »
Nice build.  I've been wanting to try the Gateron blues, but haven't got the chance yet.  Blues are my favorite switch so the idea of a smoother version sounds really great.

I think you'd love them then! I had a single switch a while back, but it wasn't until until I used a keyboard full of them that I could really tell how great they were. Normally I like heavier switches but I'm loving these.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:16:29 »
Nice build man :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:17:20 »
Thanks for sharing your build log. That's an interesting layout. Could you explain more as to why you chose that specifically?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:36:47 »
So outside of being ortholinear its actually pretty normal to use. The split space bar acts like any space bar when pressed alone, and the right half opens up a Fn layer when held down, making it quite easy to hit any numbers or symbols needed without moving my hands. There is an animus button, and when pressed you can type "one", or "colon", or "seven" etc and get "1" or ":" or "7" on the screen, which is helpful now especially as I learn the layout. I was a little curious how the 2 space keys would workout since they aren't stabilized, and there is a little wobble but not much. The outside two rows is the only part of the design that I really am curious as to why it was designed that way, I would have made them single space keys like the rest of them. Other than that though its a fun little keyboard, and definitely a good introduction to ortholinear keyboards, as I think its a little easier to get the hang of than the Planck.   

Basically I see this as the perfect keyboard for someone looking to do their first build as it is relatively easy, or as their first ortholiner keyboard. If you really want to switch full time to an ortholiner keyboard I'd still recommend the Planck.

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:38:30 by livingspeedbump »