Author Topic: Do you trust Smart-Tvs ?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you trust Smart-Tvs ?
« on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:27:58 »
If we look at the samsungs, they even have a special reset function for anti-virus.

They've also been caught pants down capturing images of people's usage and sending to homebase.

Offline Coreda

Re: Do you trust Smart-Tvs ?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:32:39 »
They've also been caught pants down capturing images of people's usage and sending to homebase.

Have a link? I'd be interested to read about this. Found only a result about voice stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:35:51 »
Have a link? I'd be interested to read about this. Found only a result about voice stuff.

It was a long time ago, i'm pretty sure it wassamsung, don'thave alink sry.

Also, don't worry, I'm going to fix my spacebartoday.it's intermittent.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:45:06 »
If the TVs were kept offline one could just use them like 'dumb' displays but I suppose the draw is to have fewer superfluous devices and have the TV handle such connections.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 09:56:15 »
No effing way. My next "TV" is going to be a dumb screen hooked up to a cable box and/or a HTPC that I control.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 10:26:47 »
If the TVs were kept offline one could just use them like 'dumb' displays but I suppose the draw is to have fewer superfluous devices and have the TV handle such connections.

Problem is all these tvs have wifi now + blutooth..

Some tvs even have SECRET bluetooth,  you have to wonder why they would spend the money to put the chips+antennas in there if it's disabled to the user.

I'm actually thinking about diggin' out the wifi card, or cut out the antenna. Buh, my tv is so cheap it's mostly snap in plastic, without rigidity it will affect the screen geometry.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 11:18:10 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 11:31:34 »
Show Image

So the theory is,  Skynet is already self aware.

It can not currently produce more processors without human involvement.

Because skynet is not pressed for time as a human being would be. Its plan is to improve itself slowly by ever increasing human's dependence upon digital technology.

So, for example, smart tvs,  1 smart tv is nothing.. There is around 800 MILLION smart-tvs out there at this moment.

That's ALOT of processing p0wr.

And of course an artificial intelligence can envision and utilize hardware in ways unbeknownst to Hughmanns. So there's an increased multiplier on program efficiency.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 17:45:08 »
Not to be 'that guy' but I haven't owned a tv since like 2010, they are pretty pointless now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 17:51:44 »
Not to be 'that guy' but I haven't owned a tv since like 2010, they are pretty pointless now.

55 inch curved 4K samsung tv, $433 (out the door).

27 inch 2K curved samsung monitor, $280 (out the door).

55 inch tv is 4.14x the display area, 2.25x the resolution @ 1.55x the cost.

I find it quite insane that anyone still buys computer monitors..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:23:54 »
because I don't wanna sit on the other side of the ****ing room? or that cable tv is dead? if I had a tv there would be nowhere to put it, and I don't need some giant screen when I'll be sitting right in front of it. I don't have any friends or SO, so sharing the screen is a non-issue. And I don't own any modern consoles, which would be the only reason to even consider getting one for me.

Computer monitor for 99% of stuff and a Trinitron CRT for my Neo Geo, PCE, and Saturn is all I need.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:58:44 »
You've got this backwards,

You're sitting in front of it BECAUSE you don't have a giant screen.

NOT the other way around.

Being closer is not better, it's worse.  The eye muscles have to work alot harder to keep something in near focus.  This is not the weight loss kind of workout, it's the eye-strain kind.

Larger screens also have nothing to do with sharing. In fact, VA-panel tvs, which is most of them these days are Unshareable due to contrast drift.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 05:11:10 »
I don't know if I trust them or not.
I know my next tv will probably be a smart because can you even get them without these days?
Also I wouldn't mind being able to get a 1080p TV still.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:32:05 »
I know several people who have been without TV for longer.
One guy does have a "movie-room" though, and I think he watches Netflix in it.
Another once hit it off with the singer of a classic famous band at a party -- and had no idea who he was because he had never seen any music videos (or any other TV) while growing up.

I live in a country with a tradition of "public service TV", so we used to have to pay an annual license fee for owning a TV receiver (a VCR or cable box counted even if not hooked up to anything).
This was changed into a tax this year ... because people had been "cutting the cord"...
The public service TV had been available on the Internet but only protected by a IP-address based region-lock, not by a login linked to the license. So instead of getting the technical solution right, we all get to pay. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:40:28 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:16:31 »

This was changed into a tax this year ...  So instead of getting the technical solution right, we all get to pay. :rolleyes:

But of course, all those broadcast swedish females can't look skinny and tv-ready at no cost.. The public must pay for their cigarettes and ginger-ale.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:33:47 »
I know several people who have been without TV for longer.
One guy does have a "movie-room" though, and I think he watches Netflix in it.
Another once hit it off with the singer of a classic famous band at a party -- and had no idea who he was because he had never seen any music videos (or any other TV) while growing up.

I live in a country with a tradition of "public service TV", so we used to have to pay an annual license fee for owning a TV receiver (a VCR or cable box counted even if not hooked up to anything).
This was changed into a tax this year ... because people had been "cutting the cord"...
The public service TV had been available on the Internet but only protected by a IP-address based region-lock, not by a login linked to the license. So instead of getting the technical solution right, we all get to pay. :rolleyes:

I believe the Brits have the TV licence thing also. In the end we all pay for the honour of national television service. Our **** show is tax funded, so we pay for it just not directly.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:44:41 »
I make a living in digital marketing and analytics. I can tell you that these TV makers have more data than ever, and sell it to 3rd parties for advertising targeting purposes. This is something you agree to when you unbox the TV and set it up. I believe Vizio is one that does this the most, but they all have some version of it. Things they capture and report back to advertisers:

- Time spend watching
- Time on a channel
- If a commercial is seen
- If the commercial is skipped or channel is changed
- The a commercial is completed

This is all known with geolocation and timestamp.

As an advertiser, you can then pay 3rd parties to get ratings from this.

- How many people saw the ad, if they completed the ad, what shows they were playing alongside, etc.

Additionally, aside from your typical broadcast television, you also have streaming devices like Rokus which allow for 'addressable TV' meaning that the advertiser knows more about who they're targeting and then show ads directly to them (where traditional TV targets time slots and shows)

With that in mind, all of this is done all over the internet and is only new to the TV world. If you are a user of the internet, you're already being tracked to much greater detail than this... so I'd say: if you 'trust' the internet enough to use it, then I'd not worry about your TV.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:59:37 »

With that in mind, all of this is done all over the internet and is only new to the TV world. If you are a user of the internet, you're already being tracked to much greater detail than this... so I'd say: if you 'trust' the internet enough to use it, then I'd not worry about your TV.

Visionaire is clearly an old pro at seducing the community.. :D

I've read that it's been a primary marketing tactic to start paragraphs with Grains of Truth to Lull the reader into a sense of security/ belief. Then in the conclusion tell them it's ok, that it happens to everyone, there's nothing they can do, so they should accept it.

Kind of like how experienced photographers always manage to get unsuspecting subjects to wear less clothing.. But everyone does it.. you want the job and the call back no ? hahahahaha

Visionaire,  Do you know if they use -Secret- Bluetooth/ wifi to phone home the data, such that we need to go in and cut out the transimitters ?

I WOULD cover my tv in grounded tin foil, but then I wouldn't be able to see it.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 10:37:49 »
That I don't know. I'm in digital marketing. I know what metrics are available to evil people like me.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 12:06:09 »
If we look at the samsungs, they even have a special reset function for anti-virus.

Show Image

What? I would never do that.
My Visio Smart Tv is only used for YouTube, and the occassional tetris.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 01:00:24 »
[Data collection for advertising targeting purposes] is something you agree to when you unbox the TV and set it up.
It could be very convenient to bend truth and sense to suit your own commercial purposes.
But that does not make anything true. It only makes you a piece of ****.
I think that is something that we can all agree on.

if you 'trust' the internet enough to use it, then I'd not worry about your TV.
Oh, I don't trust the Internet for one bit either. Which is why I, like most people who are in the know, use privacy plugins, ad-blockers and whatnot to evade the trackers on our computers.
But on the computers, we have control of which software is running. On the TVs, we don't.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 May 2019, 01:18:37 by Findecanor »

Offline JP

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 08:59:24 »

Visionaire is clearly an old pro at seducing the community.. :D

I've read that it's been a primary marketing tactic to start paragraphs with Grains of Truth to Lull the reader into a sense of security/ belief. Then in the conclusion tell them it's ok, that it happens to everyone, there's nothing they can do, so they should accept it.

Kind of like how experienced photographers always manage to get unsuspecting subjects to wear less clothing.. But everyone does it.. you want the job and the call back no ? hahahahaha

Visionaire,  Do you know if they use -Secret- Bluetooth/ wifi to phone home the data, such that we need to go in and cut out the transimitters ?

I WOULD cover my tv in grounded tin foil, but then I wouldn't be able to see it.

This is no worse than the ****e they're already doing. Part of the overarching cloak and dagger re-education tactics by the rich and powerful to promote their agendas. Par for the course in the continuing war for our minds.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.