Author Topic: [IC] Phantom PLATES  (Read 54399 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 21:05:50 »
once places get back to us about quotes

Offline takaki

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 22:41:58 »
My casing job can't really start without this :/ Really hope this happens soon.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 02:44:01 »
that ends up on the same location as the center stem on the 7x spacebar.

Which is why Cherry did it.

Probably, it's the same way with the off-center stems on their 6.25 spacebars, but that also depends on the modifiers. Are there 1.50+1.00+1.50+6.00+1.50+1.00+1.00+1.50 Cherry boards around as well?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:45:39 »
With the 6x space layout, I'm assuming that the stems are off centered, and is Cherry compatible? :)

Say what? I don't know anything about Cherry spacebars... =P Is this what you are talking about? http://deskthority.net/wiki/Space_bar#6_units_.28114mm_wide.2C_3_keymounts.2C_57mm_and_38mm_apart.29 In that case you'd be lucky, that ends up on the same location as the center stem on the 7x spacebar. I designed the Realforce setup after a center stemmed spacebar though =)

This is news to me as well since I never owned an official cherry spacebar. No wonder those universal ones had that extra stem. I'm surprised no one mentioned that none of 125 plates will work with an offcentered spacebar stem since they only have one exact position for the stems.

Offline Salisen

• "Fire and Blood."
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 04:27:14 »
What problems were there with the last plates, out of interest?
| QPAD MK-80 |

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 04:33:31 »
With the 6x space layout, I'm assuming that the stems are off centered, and is Cherry compatible? :)

Say what? I don't know anything about Cherry spacebars... =P Is this what you are talking about? http://deskthority.net/wiki/Space_bar#6_units_.28114mm_wide.2C_3_keymounts.2C_57mm_and_38mm_apart.29 In that case you'd be lucky, that ends up on the same location as the center stem on the 7x spacebar. I designed the Realforce setup after a center stemmed spacebar though =)

This is news to me as well since I never owned an official cherry spacebar. No wonder those universal ones had that extra stem. I'm surprised no one mentioned that none of 125 plates will work with an offcentered spacebar stem since they only have one exact position for the stems.

The 6.25 spacebars should be catered for I think (at least on the original Phantom plates), that is why the switch hole in the plate cutout is longer... This was something that already me and HaveANiceDay discussed. He didn't say anything about any 6.00 unit spacebars though.

Edit: Here is the "original" http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:PHANSI125.jpg I also see in the OP that the long slots are missing. that could cause trouble replacing the wire if the stabilizer needs to have maintenance done on it...
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2013, 04:38:02 by bpiphany »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 10:37:56 »
thanks for the insite bpiphany

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:48:11 »
I recall in the plate GB for the pokers the stainless steel vs. aluminum prices were very close. I just put in my IC, I'm really digging the PRF125 layout and stainless steel. Perhaps we should send out emails to those who bought PCB's with some basic price points to bump up the totals.

As Doc once said, "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a custom keyboard, why not do it with some style? Besides, the stainless steel construction makes the flux dispersal – LOOK OUT!!!"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 22:44:53 »
So is this happening? (i'm lazy and I didn't read the thread)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:37:03 »
Oh, it's happening all right. Out in the open for everyone to see. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:44:36 »
I really got to try to be patient, It is hard to be now that i paid the PCB invoice, i got my money ready for the plate and the rest

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:45:38 »
Dangwang did just sell some Phantom plates, however IIRC they don't work with Filco cases because no "lip"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:57:19 »
I have 2 of Dan's ANSI150 plates, and they work just fine with a standard Filco case, since you can still screw the plate/PCB combo to the standoffs in the case. Those plates only don't work with cases like the Vortex aluminum case, which have no standoffs and rely on the plate's "lip" to hold the assembly inside the case, in a floating arrangement.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Re: Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 00:03:00 »
Dangwang did just sell some Phantom plates, however IIRC they don't work with Filco cases because no "lip"

They fit perfectly fine in a Filco case :)  using it on my Camo case right now!  No special adjustments required

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 09:46:28 »
It's the aftermarket Filco cases like the Vortex Alu that require the lip.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 11:14:46 »
Ah, I see.  Thanks :)

Offline dirge

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 12:03:29 »
Have the plate filco style with bends in the plate to support vortex case
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Soulpyre

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:05:03 »
Does anyone know if the Phantom PCB can support a bottom row configuration like the Realforce 87u's? Meaning 1.5x, 1x, 1.5x, 6.25x, 1.5x, 1x, 1x, 1.5x? I'd be highly interested in a plate for that config, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it.
Nope, it doesn't. But the GH60 comes close. Problem is that's not a 6.25u spacebar, it's 6.00.

GH60 supports 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.5-1.0-1.0-1.5

Of course it does!! It was I who designed it =D

But the Realforce/HHKB layout is
1.50+1.00+1.50+6.00+1.50+1.00+1.00+1.50

Ooo, it'd be awesome to have the Realforce 1.5+1+1.5+6+1.5+1+1+1.5 layout. But I don't think I've ever seen a 6x Cherry MX spacebar? And I doubt there will be enough interest for that plate =( I guess the next closest I can get is the 1.5+1+1.5+7+1.5+1+1.5 then?
TX 1800 - 62g Clears
KMAC LE - GON's Nerd PCB 62g Clears
KPAD - 62g Clears
KBT Race - Browns, Ducky Shine 4 - Browns

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 15:47:20 »
I saw a 6x space bar once... reaper has one on one of his Korean boards.  He had to get the space bar imported too and it's the only one he has.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 15:56:37 »
I saw a 6x space bar once... reaper has one on one of his Korean boards.  He had to get the space bar imported too and it's the only one he has.

I think it's on the HHMX.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 15:59:16 »
Yeah that's the one... too many acronyms to remember.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline gnubag

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 16:05:37 »
Does anyboady know if they are compatible with the KBT Oni?

looking for a plate for my oni...

Offline nebo

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 16:11:14 »
This one? Really digging the layout. Too bad that if I did it I wouldn't have the far right row (no big deal) but I wouldn't have profiles right for the keys. :(

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg756941#msg756941

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 17:26:45 »
That's the HHMX.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline FabsSpeed

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 00:18:18 »
I would be in for 2 European layouts
| Wanted: KMAC  & KMAC 1.2, 356 Mini, 456 GT |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 02:08:38 »
I gots some pricing on plates near me

Offline rindorbrot

AW: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 03:30:44 »
Are the prices nice? ;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 05:53:16 »
would like a couple of SS but I'm okay with ALU. I guess if we all set on the same material we'd get a better price.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:17:12 »
I gots some pricing on plates near me

And the next obvious follow up question is?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:08:18 »
I just got quotes back as well. Profosist's quotes were around $31 per plate. The cheapest place got back to me at $22 per plate:

I requested for anodizing and surface finishes in either line graining or sandblasting. The aluminum plates will be line grained, then clear anodized. I guess I wasn't specific enough on colors so they did not quote for colors. I'm sure it'll be a tad extra if they add color dye in the process. Sandblasting instead of line graining will also be a few dollars higher per plate. The stainless steel ones were also quoted with uniform grain surface finish and no other color options. So basically aluminum with line graining and clear anodized is the same cost as bare stainless steel with line graining. Other technical details: Aluminum is 6061-T6 grade, with MIL-A-8625, Type II, Class I anodizing. Stainless steel is 304 CRES grade.

One other important thing I was able to negotiate is that they will take any design to count it towards the total plate count as long as there is at least a MOQ of 15 plates per design. This means I'll make some other requested designs if there are at least 15 plates when the actual GB starts.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:40:01 »
And what's about the layout options that won't get 15 orders?
Will they be discarded or will they still be offered? How much would 5 plates of one design cost in SS?

Offline nebo

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:13:57 »
Sounds good to me for either one. I would still prefer aluminum for the color but I'd be more interested in getting 15 people in on a plate for 1.5 mods and a short right shift + 1u key.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:17:54 »
I'm all for it nebo. Whether or not anyone likes the F-row and split backspace.

Are there 15 who would order this?:

in memoriam

Offline nebo

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:34:58 »
I'm not a huge fan of the split backspace but I could make the 15 F-row work. Gonna need some keys for the extra 2 spots I think.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:15:36 »
I just got quotes back as well. Profosist's quotes were around $31 per plate. The cheapest place got back to me at $22 per plate:

I requested for anodizing and surface finishes in either line graining or sandblasting. The aluminum plates will be line grained, then clear anodized. I guess I wasn't specific enough on colors so they did not quote for colors. I'm sure it'll be a tad extra if they add color dye in the process. Sandblasting instead of line graining will also be a few dollars higher per plate. The stainless steel ones were also quoted with uniform grain surface finish and no other color options. So basically aluminum with line graining and clear anodized is the same cost as bare stainless steel with line graining. Other technical details: Aluminum is 6061-T6 grade, with MIL-A-8625, Type II, Class I anodizing. Stainless steel is 304 CRES grade.

One other important thing I was able to negotiate is that they will take any design to count it towards the total plate count as long as there is at least a MOQ of 15 plates per design. This means I'll make some other requested designs if there are at least 15 plates when the actual GB starts.
so what price should i put on the form?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:17:16 »

so what price should i put on the form?
also adding any plates? If not i can get the form up once i have the pricing

Offline dachef

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:42:17 »
I will be brave and just go ahead and ask this questions.  What exactly is this?  Is this for what you want to build your own keyboard?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:52:15 »
I will be brave and just go ahead and ask this questions.  What exactly is this?  Is this for what you want to build your own keyboard?
The Phantom is (Technically was, but fingers crossed for a round 3!) a custom keyboard PCB that you buy along with a plate, switches, a teensy controller, and a case, and you solder it and you put it together, and you call it your own. You just missed out on Round 2 (unless you actually did buy a PCB), though I hope there'll be a Round 3 a year from now. It's very cool, and I'm glad you asked the question. Don't be worried to ask questions, as the community is very newb-friendly.

In response to your second question, I suppose you could use this if you build your own keyboard, but you would have to find a PCB.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:06:21 »
Anyone have pics of anodized plates?
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:39:04 »
Hey have you tested the costar stab slots cause the one on the orig need a bunch of tweaking to work or at least that my experience.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 07:40:35 »
I put together a few original Phantoms and had no issue at all with Costar stabilizers.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline agor

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 07:52:31 »
It does not work to open the switch case if you use Costar Stabs if I remember correctly.
Have not yet assembled mine tho, so can not test..
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 07:57:29 »
Other than removing the stab wire so that it doesn't interfere with the switch housing I don't think it was any different than with Cherry stabs.  The issue was that the 4 short stab switches had a little extra biit of plate around them that needed to be trimmed in order for switch opening to work.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 10:45:01 »
Oh man, as we move into the GB with this, we have to decide for aluminum or stainless steel. I just checked the order forms and it's split right down the middle again. I'm going to the company later today to pick up plates from my other GB, so I'll see if they're willing to cut both without counting it as different parts. I have samples of several different surface finishes too.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 11:16:44 »
Have you already decided what layouts you will offer in the GB?

Only the ones that were popular in the IC form or also lower quantity ones?

Offline csimi

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 15:24:24 »
Ignoring weight, color, etc... which one is higher quality, has better durability and is easier to work with?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 15:27:51 »
Quality should be identical, although many perceive quality with weight, so SS wins there.
Durability: SS, you can probably mangle the Alu plate with an SS version.
Easier to work with: Alu, since it's easier to modify if you should need to.  Also if there is a warp in the SS version you really need to straighten it out before using it, Alu you can straighten as you mount switches to the PCB.

Personally I'd go with the SS.  I've built a number of KMACs and Phantoms and I built a SS model Phantom and the SS is really a positive change.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline nebo

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 15:34:58 »
After everything in this thread I'd only go with alu if I were able to get it in white. That plate is almost invisible once caps are on but it is the little things that count. I mean if you're going to have a custom keyboard + custom layout + custom case you might as well get it just how you want it. Really need to know about casing soon though so I  know if I'll be able to get the plate I want.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 05:05:29 »
Im interested but as I just finally got around to joining the site (have lurked on occasion) it looks like ive missed the GB on the PCB
Here's hoping there's a new revision
Hey! Maybe the R3 will have the hole for better Quickfire Compatibility! xD
OR EVEN LEDs!  (probably not. lol)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 06:02:49 »
1st round of Phantom GB was about a year ago. So look for R3 in about a year from now.

in memoriam