Author Topic: [IC] Phantom PLATES  (Read 54102 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
[IC] Phantom PLATES
« on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 18:55:15 »
bavman requested for me to just take care of the plates, so here it is. Since a Phantom requires and plate, everyone that ordered a PCB should fill out this plate form as well. These are NOT the old phantom plates. I designed these from scratch again to fix a few issues with the old plates, and to add a few new things. Here are some key points:

• Case compatibility: Filco, *CM quickfire, PLU-87
  • Stabilizer compatibility: costar, plate-mounted cherry, PCB-mounted cherry
  • every switch to can be removed without desoldering, including all stabilizer switches
  • fixed small spacing offset with whole bottom half of old plate
  • centered or off-center caps lock
  • 7bit's plate was replaced with Profesist's requested plate
ANS125 - Popular standard layout of mainstream keyboards. ANSI layout with 1.25x bottom modifiers and 6.25x space bar.

ANS150 - ANSI layout with bottom modifiers in 1.5x - 1x - 1.5x and 7x space bar. Popular with Cherry or Korean customs

ISO125 - ISO layout with 1.25x bottom modifiers and 6.25x space bar.

ISO150 - ISO layout with bottom modifiers in 1.5x - 1x - 1.5x configuration and 7x space bar.

PRF125 - Profesist's custom layout. Adds an extra 2 keys in the function row, 5 keys above arrow keys, and additional keys at the stabilizer switches.

Things that needs to be decided are material and color. Aluminum costs less, but weighs less. However it can be anodized to almost any color. Stainless steel is a couple bucks more per plate, but is heavier and most likely won't have any color. It's probably too cost prohibitive to powdercoat, and the powder will throw off the plate tolerances so I'll have to modify the plate of account for this.

If you want a hybrid combination of these plate layouts, you can request it but please don't PM me about it. Half my time on GH is answering PMs nowadays. Make sure it's compatible with the PCB, make a quick sketch/photoshop of it, post it on here, and if it's has enough interest I can make it.

> PLATE FORM <
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 23:08:55 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Phantom PLATES
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 19:06:08 »
Additional notes/comments:

It has screw holes to fit a CM quickfire case, but there is one case standoff that gets in the way. Either I need to PM bpiphany to add one tiny hole to the PCB, or you can easily snip/file some of the standoff height off.

The plate itself is compatible with PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers, but the PCB does not have holes for PCB-mounted stabilizers, so you must use plate-mounted ones.

These will either be shipped directly by me, included with the PCBs and bavman can take care of it, or sent to profesist to reship again. There might be additional costs that split if it's not directly from me.

For price, I realize that it can affect the number of plates people get. But at the same time, I can't get an accurate price quote without knowing quantities of each plate. I'll see if I can get all the different plates to count towards total number ordered instead of separate items.

The only switch that does not have full 4 side support is the caps lock (only supported on 3 sides). This is not a problem, but just something I wanted to mention. Once it's soldered on, then it won't matter.

« Last Edit: Mon, 31 December 2012, 20:37:16 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline el2k

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 19:44:09 »
Filled out, thanks.
sc00pz for life

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:01:35 »
One thing to note, although the plates may be compatible with PCB-mounted Cherry stabilizers, the Phantom PCB has no holes for them. If you are mounting this plate on a Phantom, you will be using plate mounted stabilizers, either Costar or Cherry.

WFD, if we ordered a Universal TKL plate from you, is that the same as the ANSI125 plate here?

Here is my ideal layout:

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:03:37 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:14:38 »
Mine too JDCarpe. Hence why I like my stainless steel plate. :P

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:15:13 »
More of those plates should have the 5 extra keys above the arrow cluster. These are easy extra keys without having to worry about odd keycap sizes with prof's plate. Considering how many Phantom orders there are this time around (and that phantom owners are the primary target of this group buy), I would rather there be extra keys above the arrow cluster than cutouts for controllers boards for keyboards that already have plates.

Perhaps I will just submit my own plate idea:
10756-0
As many extra keys as possible while still being fully compatible with ANSI keycap sets (you might need a few extra novelty keys for function row).

Offline Amarok

Re: Re: Phantom PLATES
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:59:09 »
More of those plates should have the 5 extra keys above the arrow cluster. These are easy extra keys without having to worry about odd keycap sizes with prof's plate. Considering how many Phantom orders there are this time around (and that phantom owners are the primary target of this group buy), I would rather there be extra keys above the arrow cluster than cutouts for controllers boards for keyboards that already have plates.

(Attachment Link)
As many extra keys as possible while still being fully compatible with ANSI keycap sets (you might need a few extra novelty keys for function row).

With this layout, are the "normal" function keys still exactly lined up with the open spots on a filco/plu87 case?
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:17:49 »
With this layout, are the "normal" function keys still exactly lined up with the open spots on a filco/plu87 case?
No. You could get by with the gap between esc and F1, but the gaps between F4/F5 and F8/F9 would need to be cut. Though if you ask me, it's pretty easy to make cuts in these plastic cases. I removed the plastic above the arrow keys for a Filco case using only a small hacksaw and a utility knife. I was somewhat impatient when I did it, but the end result still looked pretty good.

Perhaps a regular ANS125 plate with the 5 extra keys above arrow cluster would be better... I cant see much use for the two extra keys in the function row, except as a place to cram in a couple more novelty keycaps...
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:19:43 by Tranquilite »

Offline Amarok

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:49:17 »
I'd be very interested if there were an ANSI125 plate with the 5 extra key spots above the arrow cluster.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:13:17 »
Here is my ideal layout:

Show Image

So this is basically a 1.5x modifier 60% PURE layout with split backspace, and the function row and side "pad" fully populated, right?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:15:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Ok, I guess this well exclusively but phantom plate only. I'll add the 5 extra switch holes above the arrow keys on all of them, but that just means you lose PCB compatibility with Filco and CM quickfire PCBs. The case from these two can still be used though. The reason why I dropped those 5 extra keys above the arrow was because the last phatom GB was huge, and yet only one person (profesist) actually used that space. It wasn't that popular back then. You'll also have to take a dremel and modify the case in that area.

Was anyone interested in this plate for Filco/CM quickfire and NOT phantom?

Offline takaki

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:20:54 »
Another vote for ANSI125 with 5 extra keys, hope it goes through.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:26:01 »

Same for me.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:26:48 »
The reason why I dropped those 5 extra keys above the arrow was because the last phatom GB was huge, and yet only one person (profesist) actually used that space.
I used that space :D

Though honestly, considering how large the previous group buy was, I haven't seen very many completed phantoms posted aside from a handful of the more active forum members. Is there any data available on who used those extra keys above arrow cluster and who didn't?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 23:07:25 »
Perhaps a regular ANS125 plate with the 5 extra keys above arrow cluster would be better... I cant see much use for the two extra keys in the function row, except as a place to cram in a couple more novelty keycaps...
I'd be very interested if there were an ANSI125 plate with the 5 extra key spots above the arrow cluster.
Same for me.

Ok fixed for you guys. Earlier responses hold more weight  ;)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 23:30:35 »
One thing to note, although the plates may be compatible with PCB-mounted Cherry stabilizers, the Phantom PCB has no holes for them. If you are mounting this plate on a Phantom, you will be using plate mounted stabilizers, either Costar or Cherry.

WFD, if we ordered a Universal TKL plate from you, is that the same as the ANSI125 plate here?

Here is my ideal layout:

Show Image

Any chance for this? I'm about to pull the trigger on the form for two, but would like the few extra function options.

Offline takaki

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 00:08:11 »
Ok fixed for you guys. Earlier responses hold more weight  ;)

Fixed ? What did you fixed ? :P

Say if we buy the ansi 125 w extra holes, we still have the option to use it like a normal ANSI 125 plate right ? ( Saying this only because of casing and keycaps woes)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 00:24:05 »
Here is my ideal layout:

Show Image

So this is basically a 1.5x modifier 60% PURE layout with split backspace, and the function row and side "pad" fully populated, right?

Yes, exactly.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline reality404

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 08:38:29 »
Filled in form. Thanks.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 09:44:23 »
WFD, the layout you have pictured for Prof should have the R_SHIFT 1.75 and a 1.0 unit key to the right of it, instead of to the left of R_SHIFT. Phantom PCB doesn't support the layout as pictured.

in memoriam

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:14:45 »
Will these plates support Costar stabilizers? The slots for the stabilizer clips look awfully close to the switches :-\

Offline nebo

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:33:01 »
Put in interest for one ANSI150. Hope enough people in the phantom BG want 1.5 mods.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:42:59 »
Interested in the ansi125

Please disregard my first form i submitted it accidently x.X

Turkishrambo~
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:22:35 by Turkishrambo »

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 20:13:50 »
What is the difference between ansi125 and ansi 150? 

Do I need special keycaps if I order the 150? 

Is there a way to include plates without the extra holes above the arrows?

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 20:46:49 »
Any price estimate? I wasn't here before, but the numbers I seem to see are about $20. Is this accurate?)

I'm trying to decide if I want to get two plates (150 and 125 ansi) or just one... Not sure!

Thanks for doing this. I'm really looking forward to my phantom :)
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 21:09:28 »
What is the difference between ansi125 and ansi 150? 

Do I need special keycaps if I order the 150? 

125 is uniform 1.25x modifiers: ctrl/win/alt spacebar alt/win/menu/ctrl
150 is 1.5x modifiers, often used without any win/menu at all, however sometimes with 1x win/menu caps.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline takaki

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 21:09:59 »
How many orders you need before you shift this to the GB section?
If this is going to happen, is it possible to have the exact measurements of the plate so we can move long to design a casing for the "special ANSI 125" ?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 21:27:33 »
A proper case design needs it's own plate design that integrates to the case, they should be designed as a cohesive unit.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 23:26:31 »
Here is my ideal layout:

Show Image

Yes, exactly.
It's also winkeyless. I'd prefer winkey ('cause then I don't have to get a tsangan kit for it), but otherwise prefer this layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 23:37:29 »
WFD, the layout you have pictured for Prof should have the R_SHIFT 1.75 and a 1.0 unit key to the right of it, instead of to the left of R_SHIFT. Phantom PCB doesn't support the layout as pictured.
yea didnt notice that when i glanced thans for finding the error

Offline takaki

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 00:41:22 »
A proper case design needs it's own plate design that integrates to the case, they should be designed as a cohesive unit.

Yes my idea exactly, why not integrate the casing to the plate and pcb design ?

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 00:48:49 »
WFD states in the OP that the new plate will fit into a filco, Quickfire, PLU case.  I guess there could be a case build around the new plate, as I'd be interested in an aluminum one myself.  One that would incorporate the extra numpad keys.  But I like the idea of being to use an existing case as well.
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 00:58:04 »
Whatever the gets voted on and accepted, I would really like Stainless Steel.  It's only a couple extra bucks, I'd pay it.

Just to be completely clear.  These will fit the phantom 2 right?

How do we make sure that the cases will fit both the plates and the PCB and the tensey?

I remember some guy posting that he was designing a case and it didn't fit because of the tensey controller.  I would be pretty upset if I ordered custom PCB/Plate/Case and they didn't fit together.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:11:01 »
you will have to do a test fit thats the only sure way of knowing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 06:58:28 »
Here is my ideal layout:

Show Image

For anyone who uses an HHKB on a regular basis, the 60% portion of this layout exactly matches the HHKB layout. You won't have to train your fingers to go from your HHKB to your Phantom, as the layouts are the same. Just program the Phantom firmware to match the keymap of the HHKB. Plus you have all the function keys and an arrow cluster/tenkey pad built in.

in memoriam

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 07:01:25 »
If yo uget a GH60 I would say go with my layout especially if you normally would prefer inverted T arrows keys as it will be supported on both.

Offline Leewei

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 10:46:36 »
Filled out the form!
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 18:09:35 »
Sorry guys I've been AFK for a few days, and I think GH was down most of today. Anyways I already sent in the files for quotes for an estimate of 130 plates in both aluminum and stainless steel. From the looks of it, then need more exact numbers on each plate and they count each as a separate part rather than a total of 130 plates. I'll post more when I get the chance.

Yeah I realized that right after I posted. It was fixed before I sent it for quotes. Haven't gotten the chance to upload the new pic yet.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 09:17:01 »
I'd love an ISO 150 with short right Shift + 1x Fn.

would that be possible?

also form filled.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2012, 11:20:32 by rindorbrot »

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
[IC] Phantom PLATES
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 10:48:08 »
Form filled.

Offline Slavfot

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 12:26:17 »
I'd love an ISO 150 with short right Shift + 1x Fn.

would that be possible?

also form filled.

This exactly what i want! :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 15:15:57 »
Filled out the IC form.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 21:24:57 »
Form filled.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 01:34:38 »
Form filled. I really hope we get someone to make some sweet aluminum cases to give Korean customs a run for their money.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Leewei

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 01:41:41 »
Form filled. I really hope we get someone to make some sweet aluminum cases to give Korean customs a run for their money.

Yea I hope so too, really want to go for a winkeyless layout with a sweet alu case. Right now I have to remove that key from accidentally pressing ctrl+win+number which minimizes my sc2 while in game =/
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 04:06:49 »
125 is uniform 1.25x modifiers: ctrl/win/alt spacebar alt/win/menu/ctrl
150 is 1.5x modifiers, often used without any win/menu at all, however sometimes with 1x win/menu caps.

So basically with a 150 you can also use 1.25 modifiers but just without the menu modifier on the right? Unless I'm completely mistaken, but the 150 has the same mounting holes from what I can tell on the pics. How would a 1.5 modifier fit in there then? *confused*

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 05:13:32 »
125: 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25
150: 1.5 1 1.5 7 1.5 1 1.5

Look at the bottom mods and you'll understand
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 05:37:30 »
It should actually be possible to do a 1.25-1.25-1.25-7.00-1.25-1.25-1.25 setup, but that would leave some gaps... It would be more like
(0.125)-1.25-1.25-1.25-(0.125)-7.00-(0.125)-1.25-1.25-1.25-(0.125)

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 06:44:47 »
Ah yes of course. I get it. Thanks for the clarification ^^

Offline jabar

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 09:02:48 »
7bit layout anyone?
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit