Author Topic: New Leopold Keyboards: FC980M & FC980C  (Read 101008 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: New Leopold Keyboards: FC980M & FC980C
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 21:56:54 »
Looking forward to seeing the price point of the FC980C. Really want to pick one up

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 21:57:23 »
  • 45g Uniform Topre switches

SHOW STOPPER!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE IS THE 55G LOVE?!?!!
Not in Korea apparently.

True dat homez.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 02:06:44 »
Looking forward to seeing the price point of the FC980C. Really want to pick one up

Think Mechanical Keyboards might be into this soon  8) .

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 02:27:11 »
[Removed]
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:33:04 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline kasakka

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 02:54:05 »
The placement of the Delete, Insert, Pgdn and Pgup keys is pretty horrible though. One can only hope that the Fn button would access Home/End/Pgup/Pgdn on the arrow keys and possibly delete on the Backspace.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 06:01:40 »
Funny enough, one of the founders of /r/MK already has an FC980M in-hand.

I don't think that's his.

New Leopold FC980 in white
Photos from Keyboard Hell in HK

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 12:36:23 »
wow this looks awesome.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:32:41 »
Very interested in this, curious what the price point will end up being..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 05:47:45 »
Another nail in the coffin of replacement Topre keycap sets - imaging trying to find a set to match this layout!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 07:18:40 »
Another nail in the coffin of replacement Topre keycap sets - imaging trying to find a set to match this layout!

We'll have to run group buys specific for this layout.  :(

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 07:44:57 »
Keycaps? All black every time all the time until forever. Maybe a few artisans though

Offline yomammary

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 08:07:51 »
Keycaps? All black every time all the time until forever. Maybe a few artisans though
Maybe for you, not for me :-*
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 09:00:30 »
Maybe for you, not for me :-*

Fine. Be unique and completely original, see if I care! Hmmp :p

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 13:47:07 »
Is it November yet?!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 22:30:47 »

No Rowds, you just keep buying More and MORE of the FC980s.  You just don't stop until they stop manufacturing them at their facility.

When these 1800 series start selling, I'm stock piling them till the day I die, that is what is meant by being devoted to this type of keyboard  8) .

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 00:07:56 »
I was all excited until I saw the Delete, Home/End and Page Up/Down layout. I would much prefer just a straightforward TKL, since pretty much all of us serious keyboard enthusiasts already have an independent numpad keyboard on the left side (Mine's a Leopold FC210TP).

The FC660C is one of my favorite keyboards in terms of the typing feel, but I prefer TKL. If Leopold had a TKL Topre, I'd jump on it immediately.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 06:35:42 »
If Leopold had a TKL Topre, I'd jump on it immediately.

Hey, Realforce already makes all sorts of TKLs both Variable, 45g and 55g's.

Stop pushing something that is so widely available already sunshine, this FC980M/FC980C layout is UNIQUE hence it stays as is, if you want anything in a TKL layout look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2016, 06:37:26 by Elrick »

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 13:55:43 »

Stop pushing something that is so widely available already sunshine, this FC980M/FC980C layout is UNIQUE hence it stays as is, if you want anything in a TKL layout look elsewhere.

I have those RealForce keyboards already, and no, they don't feel like my Leopole FC660C. There's something special about the combination of FC660C's 45g weighting and the keycaps. It feels heavier than RealForce's 45g, but slightly lighter than RealForce's 55g, and the keycap has this almost wood material quality in the way it feels when making contact with the case. Also, the color palette the beige/dark gray is uniquely differently from any other Topre keyboard makers. I would love to see the FC660C as a TKL, and I would buy it in a heartbeat and sell my 55g RealForce (although I'd keep my ergonomic weighted/silenced RealForce).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 14:27:30 »

I have those RealForce keyboards already, and no, they don't feel like my Leopole FC660C. There's something special about the combination of FC660C's 45g weighting and the keycaps. It feels heavier than RealForce's 45g, but slightly lighter than RealForce's 55g, and the keycap has this almost wood material quality in the way it feels when making contact with the case. Also, the color palette the beige/dark gray is uniquely differently from any other Topre keyboard makers. I would love to see the FC660C as a TKL, and I would buy it in a heartbeat and sell my 55g RealForce (although I'd keep my ergonomic weighted/silenced RealForce).

Eh, wood material quality?

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 14:43:24 »

Eh, wood material quality?

It's kind of hard to describe. It's the way the keycaps feel when it hits the case. The keycap feels more solid than other similar keycaps I've tried, with a denser vibration frequency or something. It reminds me of how hollowed out/carved wood feels when you clack it top down against a solid surface, but on a miniature scale. It's unique to the FC660C. I don't know if the partly because of the case too, or just the keycaps, or combination of both.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 21:26:27 »
I would love to see the FC660C as a TKL, and I would buy it in a heartbeat and sell my 55g RealForce (although I'd keep my ergonomic weighted/silenced RealForce).

The word here is PATIENCE because I never thought in my lifetime I would actually see an 1800-styled keyboard with THORPIES  :o .

Still blows my mind, so if Leopold is going to make these then for sure a TKL 45g Leopold is coming down the line.  Actually excited about owning some Leopolds, so it's good to see what will happen next with Realforce in regards to specialized keyboard layouts as well.

A competitive future is coming and these manufacturers have to give what the public desires.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 18:44:50 »
Show Image

WHY?
I'm sure I'll have a constant urge to rip that sticker, and then after I do I will always feel something is missing.

++++

I would really love to buy one if they just omitted the Leopold branding and those labels :(

Edit: I have a Leopold numpad with Cherry stabs, It's the only decent Cherry stab usage I've come across, I also remember seeing one interview, which hinted some keyboard companies have secret methods that result in a better typing experience over competitors, made me wonder if Leopold's expert stab usage was one of them
Edit 2: I guess I'm still going to buy one of the black MX's when they are available, can't resist my curiosity, even though I'm not going to use the default caps, the profile looks pretty interesting
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2016, 19:18:59 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 19:12:29 »
Oh **** yes!

Daddy needs a new topre board
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 19:48:44 »
This is actually really good.
I'm just worried about the price.
I don't think they will let these keyboards go for a reasonable price.
RIP wallet?

Offline derzemel

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 23:11:45 »
OMG!!! want!!! badly!!! hnnnnngg!!!!

ok, reddit orgasimc way of talking out of the way... 1800 is my favorite layout (working on the plans for a custom as we speak) and adding Topre to it is the best thing I can imagine.

But, as there is always a "but", this is not a classic 1800 layout.

The fact that they added Print Screen, Pause, Scroll Lock, Home, End as FN commands is brilliant as it makes the keyboard even more compact and resulting in 98 keys

Now the things that bother me about it:

1. Why don't Leopold add media control on their Topre keyboards? those are the only things missing from the FC660C to be perfect.

2. I do not like the positioning and the size of the FN keycap. I think it would have been way better to be 1U, instead of the Ctrl.

3. I am also not convinced by the use of a full sized + key on the numpad. But this is mitigated a bit by the use of the FN layer commands.

4. As OO2 on Deskthority said: "I wonder why they didn't go with similar font and legends that they used on the FC660C... It looks like they have re-used a lot of Realforce's crappy legend caps like for 'Backspace' and 'Enter' keys. They looked much nicer on the FC660C IMO."

Sent from fat fingers on small screen...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 04:17:44 »

No Rowds, you just keep buying More and MORE of the FC980s.  You just don't stop until they stop manufacturing them at their facility.

When these 1800 series start selling, I'm stock piling them till the day I die, that is what is meant by being devoted to this type of keyboard  8) .

All I need is the money :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 10:58:05 »
Is there any indication these will be made with 55g domes? Im used to 75g switches right now, so 45 would be a steep drop.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 14:22:12 »
Is there any indication these will be made with 55g domes? Im used to 75g switches right now, so 45 would be a steep drop.

I don't feel that the weight corresponds equally between different switch types. It doesn't even correspond within the same switch type. For example, Leopold's 45g Topre does not feel like RealForce's 45g (Leopold's feel heavier, more like 50g).

Offline Beanhead

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:10:42 »
Looks like I'm replacing my K70 at home with a 980C. I do wish that the dark color came in the same colorway as the dark FC660C (black board, dark grey keycaps) though.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:12:35 »
Damn these boards are nice. Did not know these were around.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 12:45:13 »
Full on splurge fest here guys, wow.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 13:05:10 »
Is there any more info on availability/price/where to buy for these?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:38:56 »
Has anyone armed with something better than just Google Translate been keeping up with the announcement? I think they were doing a giveaway for one.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:47:09 »
Here's hoping that someone makes an Alu. case for this like the FC660M
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 09:07:00 »
Here's hoping that someone makes an Alu. case for this like the FC660M

Wow, indeed that would make things perfect
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 08:55:44 »
The Leopold FC980M is available for preorder on mechanicalkeyboards.com.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 09:06:26 »
OOOOO

Am I mistaken or does it really not have the unnecessary "Leopold" side-tag?!

I think I'm going to get a brown MX one, to test the layout, see how Leopold applied Cherry stabs, then gift it to my brother with GMK Carbon on

Now that I've settled with the 60% form factor, all that extra size is unnecessary, yet the 1800 form factor is really, really alluring

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 09:27:53 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 12:43:51 »
I'll paraphrase SpAmRay's link

More
Blank Page

C'mon mechanicalkeyboards.com..

Offline skuko

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 06:51:39 »
i am deffo getting a MX brown version of this.

would someone be willing to proxy buy it for me in the states and 20$ gift ship it to EU?
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2016, 06:53:54 by skuko »

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:41:21 »
No chance for MX Clears on these is there?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 14:03:05 »
Hm, well I guess I might have an hhkb challenger...

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 14:59:18 »
Indeed an MX Clear version would be nice, an MX Tactile Grey version and I would take that as a divine sign and let go off my 60% obsession

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 15:09:13 »
This looks so nice , I hard silent MX red types best

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 12:08:37 »
Indeed an MX Clear version would be nice, an MX Tactile Grey version and I would take that as a divine sign and let go off my 60% obsession

Tactile grey would be nice.  Anything that was similar to buckling spring feel with a little less noise would be nice. 

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 12:13:36 »
This looks so nice , I hard silent MX red types best

If you are a touch typist maybe - I can see someone typing faster on this type of switch.  I think most people have different preferences for actuation points/pressure points -- most people get mech keyboards because they feel better than the chiclet and scissor switch keyboards which have no feel at all when you press the keys, which I think are closer to what reds really are.

For some of us, we like the tactility of a switch that takes more pressure to press.  Best typing feel for me is still buckling spring or the old apple alps keyboards.

Offline gandroider

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 20:08:08 »
Hi, I've received my FC980M and super-incredibly satisfied with its built.
Just like the FC980 it is sturdy yet compact for a daily use at home.

Too bad the DSA Dolch did not have the 1u size of "ALT". Thus, I'm using a spare blank keycap to get a hold for a while.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 23:22:06 »
Wow! So soon!

Looks great

How does the stabilised keys feel?
Space/Enter etc.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 23:27:24 »
When's FC980C going to be released?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 00:13:24 »
Hi, I've received my FC980M and super-incredibly satisfied with its built.
Just like the FC980 it is sturdy yet compact for a daily use at home.

Too bad the DSA Dolch did not have the 1u size of "ALT". Thus, I'm using a spare blank keycap to get a hold for a while.

Not bad looking with SP's key-set, really lifts this keyboard into ENVY - Status  >:D .