Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186194 times)

Offline koralatov

Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:54:29 »
For ‘important’ stuff, I use a Pilot M-90, fine nib, with black Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink.

For every day notes, I use a Caran d’ Ache 849 ballpoint, or a Papermate Mirado Classic in HB (I have a ridiculous stockpile of US-made ones).

When I’m feeling fancy, I’ll use a Tombow Mono 100, or a Craft Design Technology Item 17 (both HB).

Offline pby

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:01:45 »
For ‘important’ stuff, I use a Pilot M-90, fine nib, with black Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink.

For every day notes, I use a Caran d’ Ache 849 ballpoint, or a Papermate Mirado Classic in HB (I have a ridiculous stockpile of US-made ones).

When I’m feeling fancy, I’ll use a Tombow Mono 100, or a Craft Design Technology Item 17 (both HB).
I'm a huge fan of the tombow mono. Bought two dozen awhile ago and haven't found any pencil that writes as well as they do

Offline koralatov

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:09:13 »
I'm a huge fan of the tombow mono. Bought two dozen awhile ago and haven't found any pencil that writes as well as they do
They’re probably my single favourite pencil.  The Mitsubishi Hi-Uni is also excellent, and it’s hard to say why I prefer the Tombow.  The Pentel Black Polymer and Craft Design Technology are both fantastic as well, and very unique — they have a smoothness I don’t think I’ve encountered in any other woodcased pencil.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:53:29 »
My fountain pen has been repaired! But I have to wait until Saturday to get it :(

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:26:50 »
Just looked through my pens and pencils, I do actually have a fairly ok collection

Sorry for the potato pic, DSLR batteries are dead and I don't have the charger here.
12649-0

I don't like the ink for the Jotter, though, and I might pick up some different types for the 849 as well.

I also have a GraphGear 500 that has served me well, although I would like to get a 1000. Sadly, the Graph and GraphGear products aren't available in Norway for some reason, I got my 500 in Denmark several years ago.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:38:52 »
Nice collection!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 14:49:12 »
Sunlight passing through the edge of my T220 made a funky effect on the paper I was writing on as well as my pen, tried capturing it and did a decent job I'd say.
It's at least a better pic of my favourite pens than the potato one.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:32:43 »
This week received my TWSBI Diamond Mini Clear with Noodler's bullet proof black.  Enjoying the experience more than I expected, quality peripherals continue to improve many things you wouldn't expect.
Erlang your pants off

Offline compgeke

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 15:06:42 »
I'm a cheap person, I use Precise V5 pens, as they're cheap and people always steal\borrow your pens\pencils and never return them.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 15:07:40 »
I'm a cheap person, I use Precise V5 pens, as they're cheap and people always steal\borrow your pens\pencils and never return them.

Not if you refuse to let them use the pen!

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 15:15:36 »
Got this and its my new favorite pen
Lamy Vista F

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:35:36 »
^ I also got a Lamy Vista Fine a little while ago. Very good for its price. I actually use it upside down because it is so consistent on the flip side and creates a nice, even finer line. Using Noodler's Black ink. Such a beautiful black.
Dvorak

Offline ducatisteve

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 14:42:55 »
My three favorites.  From top to bottom:

Pilot Stealth Vanishing Point fountain pen (currently with Noodler's Blue Black)
Rotring 600 with Parker Gel Inserts
Uni Ball Kuru Toga rotating pencil

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 02:51:16 »
Best wooden pencil in the world is the Dixon Classmate; I hate the Ticonderoga. Love Micron pens and Pigma Sensei Sakura markers.

Sharpies are always badass as well, and I also like drafting pencils, although I'm not great with them (leadholders, not just standard mechanical pencils). I myself have 2 KOH-I-NOOR's, a 6mm and a 2mm.
Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL (MX blue)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 16:16:31 »
Best wooden pencil in the world is the Dixon Classmate; I hate the Ticonderoga. Love Micron pens and Pigma Sensei Sakura markers.

Sharpies are always badass as well, and I also like drafting pencils, although I'm not great with them (leadholders, not just standard mechanical pencils). I myself have 2 KOH-I-NOOR's, a 6mm and a 2mm.

What's wrong with Ticonderogas?

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 18:54:24 »

What's wrong with Ticonderogas?

They feel alright, but I really like dark lines. The Dixon Classmate writes nearly black, without the smudging of a 4B, and its eraser can erase nearly all of it without any smudging.

Of course, actual graded sketching pencils like Staedtlers are lovely, but I've always liked drawing and writing with a classic yellow school pencil. Probably because I did a whole lot of drawing in school as a kid.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 03:51:30 »
Anyone wanna recommend a 0.3mm drafting pencil that's <$20?

I was looking at the GraphGear 1000 and Uni-Bal Shift ones, but I already have 0.5mm versions of those and want to try different ones.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Rare

• Spending racks and bands on keyboards.
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:48:34 »
I recently just got one of these. Really great. The Japanese characters make it look a lot more unique as well lol.

Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 11:33:14 »
Anyone wanna recommend a 0.3mm drafting pencil that's <$20?

I was looking at the GraphGear 1000 and Uni-Bal Shift ones, but I already have 0.5mm versions of those and want to try different ones.

KOH-I-NOOR's and Staedtlers are nice. Really, as long as it feels nice in your hand and holds the lead securely, it's all good. I don't like that the KOH-i-NOORs are made of all plastic now but they still do the job nicely, and they're a classic.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:43:24 »

KOH-I-NOOR's and Staedtlers are nice. Really, as long as it feels nice in your hand and holds the lead securely, it's all good. I don't like that the KOH-i-NOORs are made of all plastic now but they still do the job nicely, and they're a classic.

Ended up going with the Staedtler Reg + Pentel High-Silica B lead!

Still trying to adjust to the 0.3mm game, but so far so good!
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline purple_haze

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:37:48 »
pilot g2 and pentel mechanical pencils.
Das Keyboard Silent S MX Browns | Filco Majestouch 2 MX Browns | Filco Majestouch MX Blues TKL

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:54:45 »
I like my set up of Noodler's Black Ink in my Pilot Metropolitan and having some random color ink in my Lamy AL-star.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #222 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:49:58 »
When I read the title the 1st time I read something else  :-[

Anyway, my favorite pens are the free ones I get from my girlfriend's sister's fysiotherapy  practice (they are printed and used for advertisement). I do not know why, but they are the smoothest writing best shaped pens I have ever used. I always make sure to steal 4 or 5 whenever I go there :) . I justify taking them by good word of mouth. 
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:29:33 »
Got some rotring rapidograph pens a while back and i love them but the .13 doesnt see much everyday use if u know what i mean...

Offline TemurAmir

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:18:27 »
My Lamy 2000's broken so I'm using a Pelikan m200 and Lamy Al-star at the moment filled with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses and Eel Blue. I also use a Parker 25 mechanical pencil. Do any of you happen to be active on fountainpennetwork.com?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 11:24:24 »
Lately I've been trying out the Uniball Kuru Toga for my pencil work (with a black pearl eraser) and Sharpie pens for ink.

I also really like the Pentel Twist Erase III Mechanical Pencil have had the same one for almost 4 years now and I like Pilot Precise V5 Retractable Rolling Ball pens.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 16:56:45 »
Pens - Copic SP Multiliners are my instrument of choice, wonderful pigment based ink - http://store.copicmarker.com/pages/overview-multiliner-sp

Pencils - Zebra M-402 - http://zebrapen.com/products/pen/m-402?c=30

Offline telepete

• Jedi Knight and friend of Captain Solo.
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:15:39 »
Bought a Rotring 600. I threw all my other mech pencils in the garbage [except my Pentel Graphgear 1000, that one is decent too].
Don't you wish Carnifex was at your side?

Offline emptyk

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:18:57 »
Pilot Custom Heritage 91 is one of my latest purchases. I like it.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:24:31 »
I love my Pilot Dr. Grip.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 21:30:12 »
Reviving this thread with my new Zebra M701 and F701.

I put a Fisher Space Pen refill in the F701. The clicking is a little sluggish now but it's well worth the improved quality of writing. Very pleased with these, there's a clear quality difference between them and the Bic bulk pack pens/pencils that I upgraded from. Hopefully I won't lose them  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2013, 21:34:08 by ComradeSniper »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:11:52 »

THE BEST PEN ON EARTH.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:16:25 »
Show Image

THE BEST PEN ON EARTH.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 20:55:57 »
i have a bad habit of buying stuff i rarely use/don't need just for the sake of it.

i found this thread and the other pen thread and ended up with this.

caught myself before i got into more fountain pens. i think i need help :(

also this phone takes bad pictures. or i do. or the light here sucks either way. picture sucks.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:24:59 »
Favourite mechanical pencil is the Pentel Original Quicker Clicker. Lame name, but accurate and comfortable to use.

Favourite pen so far is probably either the Uni-ball 207 Retractable Gel or Zebra Sarasa Retractable Gel. Lately though I've been leaning towards something different.. something new. Haven't found my new favourite yet.

Offline gojira54

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 08:43:51 »
Rotring 600 FTW

35960-0

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 10:06:03 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 07:36:39 »
i hate hex sided pencils so i only use triwrite, and only staedtler sharpeners get them needlesharp enough for me.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 07:40:07 »
Rotring 600 FTW

(Attachment Link)

Nice did you get that from Massdrop?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:00:32 »
Favourite pen so far is probably either the Uni-ball 207 Retractable Gel or Zebra Sarasa Retractable Gel. Lately though I've been leaning towards something different.. something new. Haven't found my new favourite yet.

I like the Uni-Ball 207, but the ones I've been using lately have been super inconsistent and will stop writing at random when there's clearly still ink in the pen, which is what prompted me to get the Zebra F701.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:28:13 »

I like the Uni-Ball 207, but the ones I've been using lately have been super inconsistent and will stop writing at random when there's clearly still ink in the pen, which is what prompted me to get the Zebra F701.

Yeah they're definitely not the best, but I'll reach for them over the majority of available pens around me. Still searching for my perfect pen.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:29:45 »
Recently got my names on a Fisher Space Pen (Thanks Keymaster!) and a Lamy Safari fountain pen. And I have a Cross rollerball. I really like all three of them. The Lamy has been a real joy to write with though and is my current favorite.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:20:45 »
This is probably my favourite pen, EberhardFaber 4505. The ink colour is amazing and the curve of the tip is perfect. And here's my second favourite, Pilot BPS-GP with a huge tip, when I write with this pen my writing resemble to a woman's :P These pens make my cursive writing so much easier...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:43:59 »
I like the weight of my 600. Nice and heavy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:45:55 »

Yeah they're definitely not the best, but I'll reach for them over the majority of available pens around me. Still searching for my perfect pen.

Give fountains a try. They are a joy to write with.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 16:13:50 »

Haha between this and headphones/audio, I can already tell that this forum will be bad for my wallet! (Nevermind keyboards!)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 21:04:53 »

Haha between this and headphones/audio, I can already tell that this forum will be bad for my wallet! (Nevermind keyboards!)

once you leave all the keyboard related subs.. it only gets worse for your wallet >.<

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 09:10:12 »

Get a Sennheiser HD600 and a CM QFR or Poker II and be done with it.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:06:58 »
Get a Sennheiser HD600 and a CM QFR or Poker II and be done with it.

Honestly looking at a Poker II in the future, if only because it looks like one of the most fun to customize. I have a Sennheiser headset, though not one that expensive! All in due time. :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 18:51:00 »
I use my trusty pilot G2 for my debate. Ink flow is super good, and with the .5 version, it doesn't bleed around.