Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186203 times)

Offline lavieest

Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 22:18:02 »
For everyday use I love the uniball Signo 207 with micro needle point. However, the micro needle point was discontinued.  Do you guys have any suggestion for a replacement pen?  It was one of the few that I could write quickly and legibly with :<.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 06:33:44 »
Pilot Varsity
Dixon Ticonderoga
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline kimtj

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 07:54:47 »
PILOT S20 is the best

Offline Christown

• MX Blue >
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:25:08 »
My Favourite pen is the Zebra F-701 with a Fisher space pen refill.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 02:17:04 »
i love my dr grips ^^
Ducky 9008G2 Browns, White Filco TKL Reds

Offline arekkusu

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 04:41:11 »
http://www.zebrapen.com/products/pen/f-701

I'm with Christown. I use this for school and work (nursing student). I love the weight to it.

Offline Zykos

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 06:05:54 »
My favorite pencil is a kuru toga pencil! The tip is always sharp evenly.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 07:15:32 »
Currently rocking this awesome ink.

Offline Snooter

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 07:52:14 »
Some other people like christown have already said it but all I use is the Zebra F-701. The weight is perfect for me, and it feels so good in my hand. I don't know how I used anything else before it.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 08:13:36 »
Uni-Ball .7m = awesome.

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline emptyk

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 19:45:54 »
Scored a bunch of EDC pens recently.

Damn, how do you resize pictures from imgur?  Anyway, all of these are from Zebra.  From top to bottom:  Penpod; SL-F1 Mini; Minna Mini Ballpoint; and F-301 Compact Ballpoint.  I don't like the Penpod even though it is a cool concept, and I don't like the size or configuration of the F-301 Compact.  The SL-F1 Mini seems perfect to me - it's tiny enough to carry in my jeans coin pocket and it has a deep carry clip if I want to clip it to any other pocket.  It extends like a telescope to a manageable length that is easy to grip and write with (for short notes and such . . . not the best for long letters, etc.).  The Minna Mini is pretty cool, too, but I like the SL-F1 better.  It's exactly what I had in mind for an EDC pen.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 19:24:31 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 July 2012, 19:26:15 by 1391401 »
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:43:18 »
I'm currently sporting a PHX pen http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/phx-pen with some Uniball Signo DX (UM-151) and Pilot Hi-Tec C .4 and .5mm refills (in black and red) - I prefer .4/.38mm.

HOWEVER, if you're looking for an awesome pen for refills, the same guys' newest pen is amazing and I'll have to order one (or several) some day. Their solid titanium pen which is a first of its kind in that it accepts TONS of different types of refills, rather than being based on just one or a couple of refill types. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus?ref=users
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:45:38 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline josh6135

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 16:02:03 »
As with any hobby, explaning why a certain item costs that much is always fun.

Expensive keyboards, a €300+ PC-case, pens, down sleeping bags (yes it's almost nothing and yes it is expensive) or even bikes and cameras.
Even my mom, who is used to my tastes in outdoor gear by now, got scared when I told her how much a certain backpack would cost were it not on sale.

The only way to show them why it is so expensive is to let people use it.
With my expensive Realforce keyboard, people usually ask me , how much was that? I think this is usually a question because a Realforce keyboard , to the average person, may remind them of a keyboard they got for free with their pc in the 90s therefore they think it should be like a $20 keyboard. I mention the price, they think I ma crazy, then the second they try typing on it they seem to get hypnotized and while in a weird trance they state that they love the way the keys feel. Question answered.

Offline emptyk

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 00:00:36 »
I'm currently sporting a PHX pen http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/phx-pen with some Uniball Signo DX (UM-151) and Pilot Hi-Tec C .4 and .5mm refills (in black and red) - I prefer .4/.38mm.

HOWEVER, if you're looking for an awesome pen for refills, the same guys' newest pen is amazing and I'll have to order one (or several) some day. Their solid titanium pen which is a first of its kind in that it accepts TONS of different types of refills, rather than being based on just one or a couple of refill types. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus?ref=users
I recently got a bunch of pens to test drive so that I can find some favorites.  A mix of 0.38, 0.4, and 0.5 sizes, and different brands and types: Hi-Tec-C; Signo DX; Zebra Stick; Pentel Slicci; etc.  I really like the Hi-Tec-C pens.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 01:09:03 »
One of my favourite pen

75th LE Montblanc 149 F Nib

My everyday pen
Montblanc 149, circa 1989 M semi flex nib
Keyboardless

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 23:25:25 »
what an awesome thread...  does anyone have a notebook/notepad preference?

Offline emptyk

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 09:32:39 »
^  I am a notebook noob, and just got a softcover pocket Moleskine.  After looking at other options, I am going to get a Leuchtturm one next.  I carry the notebook in my pocket, so hardcover is not ideal.

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 09:34:44 »
Papermate Profile. My handwriting is horrible, and pens with very fine tips just make it look worse!

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 09:44:39 »
Aaaah the 800. Thought about getting one of those but then i had horrible dreams about colleagues borrowing my pen and then have them press down on the tip like crazy to make the lead come out and break it in the process.... Dunno how likely this is but i went with my good ol 600 just in case cuz thats more solid than a rock.

Do you notice any play in the tip when using it? I heard that could be a problem with these models....

After seeing the 800, I kind of have to have to it. Although, I also read in a few reviews that there is play in the tip which I know would bother me. Can an owner provide feedback?

Maarten, do you have issues with bent tips with your 600?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 August 2012, 17:48:24 by mistakemistake »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 17:53:26 »
1 x Rotring 600 Drafting Pencil - 0.5 mm - Black Body (ROTRING 502605)
1 x Pentel Stein Enhanced Silica Pencil Lead - 0.5 mm - 2B (PENTEL C275-2B)
1 x Uni-ball Boxy Eraser - Black (UNI EP-60BX)
1 x Uni Kuru Toga Roulette Model Auto Lead Rotation Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Silver Body (UNI M5-1017 1P.26)
1 x Pentel Graphgear 1000 Drafting Pencil - 0.5 mm (PENTEL PG1015)
1 x Pentel Keityo Double Sided Sign Marker Pen - Black & Gray Ink (PENTEL SESW25
2 x Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Marker Pen - 0.3 mm - Black (STAEDTLER 334-9)
1 x Pentel Stein Enhanced Silica Pencil Lead - 0.5 mm - HB (PENTEL C275-HB)
1 x Staedtler Pigment Liners Marker Pen - 0.5 mm - Black (STAEDTLER 308 A605-902)
1 x Nomadic PE-08 Easy Classification Pencil Case - Black (NOMADIC EPE 08 BLACK)

this forum has made me spend way too much money.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2012, 19:56:34 by mistakemistake »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 14:13:48 »
At the beginning of sophmore year in highschool I picked up a Zebra F-701 pen. Nothing fancy by a long shot, but it was made of steel, and I've used it every day ever since.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 04:43:31 »
the lamy safari fountain pen is a favorite.
used to love and collect the pentel tradio and other various energel pens.
my rotring 600 fountain pen in M nib with lava coating is definitely a "grail."

waiting on a few kickstarter pens to be produced and shipped..

Offline Viz

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 09:04:18 »
Kinda off topic, but: My teachers aren't able to read what I write, they give me bad grades since my handwriting is so ugly. I started using a computer on tests, and now my grades have doubled :D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 09:10:49 »
Dixon Ticonderoga's are my favorite pencils. The older ones like this are my favorite:

I used to have one like this that was a #4 pencil. It was "Ex-Hard".
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 17:42:55 »
I just got some calepino, a french made ecological simple notepad. (think: fieldnotes)

I'm highly impressed. Very KISS designed.

I'm highly impressed.

I even got a handwritten note from the owner of the shop.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 15:34:51 »
Dixon Ticonderoga's are my favorite pencils. The older ones like this are my favorite:

Show Image

#4 extra hard!  What do you use it for? A nail set?

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 15:40:46 »

Show Image

#4 extra hard!  What do you use it for? A nail set?

He's too lazy to cut the point again.

This, or he doesn't want to buy some again in the future, and want those to hold forever.

Offline N8N

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 15:46:11 »
My usual writing implement is a cheap Pentel P20x mechanical pencil.  Usually a 209 because I'm heavy handed.

I had a Rotring mechanical pencil once.  The tip broke after not too many months, and it was impossible to keep it in a shirt pocket because of the weight.  If I break a Pentel, it costs $5 to replace :)

Pens... meh, whatever's in the supply closet at work, as long as they're not *too* cheap and junky.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 20:22:53 »
A fine point Pentel RSVP has been my go to pen for the past 6 years. Easy to replace, and I can take notes for long periods of time without complaining too much.

Offline Viz

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 07:52:36 »
Could anyone help me with tips/tricks for my handwriting? I am really struggling with taking notes and writing.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 11:21:55 »
I'd show you my favourite pencil, but I think I'd get banned for it. ; p
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:54:56 »
I've been using the same Rotring Ticky almost every day since about 1987.  It's the white one - all the print has worn off, the clip is loose, the eraser is flat, the button has toothmarks all over it, I've bent and unbent the nib numerous times, and the case has chips out of it.  It works perfectly, and has done for 25 years.  West German manufacture FTW!

The others I bought recently out of fear that one day my old trusty would give up.  I like the 300, not keen on the Tiikky 2, the nu-skool Tikky is OK but the original will forever have a place in my heart.  Or pencil case, at least.

Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline nullstring

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:13:09 »
I'm a Sailor fountain pen ****. I use a Sapporo in fine nib and a Pro Gear with a medium nib. I have a variety of ink colors, but I prefer black, dark blues, dark greens.
Can you recommend me a green ink? I want to start using my pens again, and I'm out of green currently Preferably I can also get a converter for my Lamy safari (And hopefully, I'll be able to go home to Kentucky soon, where my good pens are)

I don't have it at my apartment right now, but I loved my rotring 600 pencil. I've been using my pentel P205 for the last 8 or so years. I'm surprised it hasn't been lost or stolen since then, but I still use it. I still don't have a really decent fountain pen other than that lamy safari. I'm intrigued by the lamy C50, but I need to sell a keyboard before I can buy it.

Offline telepete

• Jedi Knight and friend of Captain Solo.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:03:04 »
My pen is a parker roller ball. [My friends call it 'Peter's Parker'] My pencil is some German one that I bought because of it's 0.9 lead. I like how it writes and I like its thickness.
Don't you wish Carnifex was at your side?

Offline posthaste

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 22:04:28 »
Pilot Gel Ink pens (black, 07 size).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 22:13:00 »
spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace pen is from spaaaaaaaaaace

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 18:01:06 »
Lamy Joy - 1.5mm - permanent black quink
Pentel P203 - 2H
Pentel P205 - 2H
Pentel P207 - 2H
Pentel P209 - 2H
Staedtler clutch - 2H
Staedtler clutch - 2B
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:43:47 by asura »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:48:37 »
I use a Parker Jotter that I found in a hallway at school. I am going to sand blast the black area of the pen because it has been scratched somehow. I do, however, need a new refill for it soon... Any suggestions? I'd really like one of the pressurized refills, but none of them look like the refill that I need. Also, how does one date a pen? I'm not sure how old my Parker is.

Edit: Nevermind... Didn't read that Space Pen Refils come with an adapter for a Parker... Whoops. :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:00:50 by SmallFry »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 03:46:27 »
I just got some Sharpie pens that are amazing. Heavy defined ink lines with no bleeding or smearing. I didn't even know Sharpie made pens.

Offline posthaste

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 07:37:46 »
I just got some Sharpie pens that are amazing. Heavy defined ink lines with no bleeding or smearing. I didn't even know Sharpie made pens.

Sharpie has a gigantic product line.  Can you provide a link to said pens product page so I can try 'em out? 

Thanks!

Offline peachesenregalia

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 08:25:42 »
I'm a big fan of Uni-Ball Jetstreams. I take notes over the phone all day at work and I love these for that particular purpose. There's very little friction at the ballpoint (even with my heavy writing style, on a notepad with a 0.7mm) and the ink flows perfectly, doesn't smear, and you can highlight the **** out of it pretty much the second you finish writing.
Good feeling of oneness.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 17:51:16 »

Sharpie has a gigantic product line.  Can you provide a link to said pens product page so I can try 'em out? 

Thanks!
http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/medium-point-pen.aspx

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 18:54:36 »
My favorite pencil is a kuru toga pencil! The tip is always sharp evenly.

I second this. I purchased one from Mitsuwa marketplace the other day and it's amazing. You can also find it on jetpens of course. The lead automatically rotates as you write so it never breaks, and like Zykos said, it's even. Very neat invention, probably the only mechanical pencil I'd ever use.

Offline TAdams

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 19:37:06 »
Sanford Uni-Ball Gel Impact Roller Ball Gel Pen 1.0 mm
Sanford Pro-Touch II 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm (Now known as PaperMate Pro-Touch II).
i want to unsee that - eyebleach plz!

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:41:57 »
These just arrived http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus

They feel very solid, a bit on the heavy side perhaps, and it's a joke trying to write with the cap screwed onto the top =D The stylus tip is awesome though. Some sort of hollow rubber bulb. I hope it lasts...

Offline file_id

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:17:05 »
pilot hi tec coleto
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 07:33:12 »
Caran D'ache 849.

best ballpen ever. Swiss quality.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 18:49:11 »
I write using only Uniball G2s. I sticke to 0.5mm, although my Dad things 0.35mm have their places (I find them a little too scratchy on paper). I think the all-too-common 0.7mm is far too thick - it looks more like a felt tip than a gel pen!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)