Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 10176 times)

Offline 1391406

Playstation 4
« on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 22:43:02 »
Just wondering who here managed to get one? So far, the one we've got has experienced a few random errors when playing BF4, but so far it's been pretty stable for the most part. A lot of other owners haven't been so lucky from what I've read.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Playstation 4
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 22:54:05 »
Was there another thread about the PS4?

Offline Martyr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:06:47 »
Pcmasterrace

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:16:42 »
Played a little Killzone at school today. Wasn't too impressed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:18:41 »
Played a little Killzone at school today. Wasn't too impressed.

I've suspected this all along...    that heatsink was dead giveaway of how weak the system is..

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:21:45 »
Ive thought about getting one over the ONE and I dont know if I will get either anytime soon. The ps4 price is GREAT! But the games meh I may wait a bit.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:39:10 »
Ive thought about getting one over the ONE and I dont know if I will get either anytime soon. The ps4 price is GREAT! But the games meh I may wait a bit.

With the exception of Titanfall, I wasn't crazy about the X-One's lineup, myself. I was far more impressed with what I've seen of Infamous Second Son, Destiny, Deep Down, and The Order: 1886. Even the free exclusive Resogun, for PSPlus members, is really fun!  Microsoft seems less focused on gaming and more on creating a total home entertainment system.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:54:37 »

With the exception of Titanfall, I wasn't crazy about the X-One's lineup, myself. I was far more impressed with what I've seen of Infamous Second Son, Destiny, Deep Down, and The Order: 1886. Even the free exclusive Resogun, for PSPlus members, is really fun!  Microsoft seems less focused on gaming and more on creating a total home entertainment system.

Deep Down! Only reason I want one !!!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 02:14:45 »
I'm waiting on MGS:GZ's to come out before I invest...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 02:44:18 »
For some reason I've started really wanting a PS4 the past week, but I'm not in a hurry. Might get a used PS3 before I get a PS4 even, but I am sure as hell getting me a PS4 controller soon to use with my PC.

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 02:50:44 »
I'm holding off on getting a console since there's no real exclusives that I'm interested in, especially at launch. The last gen didn't really kick off until a year or more into the lifespan and the PS3 had a really slow acceleration. I already have a cheap PC for gaming so I'm not bothered with Titanfall or BF4. I'll probably wait till the price drop occurs and the new slim console to come out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:22:27 »
I'm holding off on getting a console since there's no real exclusives that I'm interested in, especially at launch. The last gen didn't really kick off until a year or more into the lifespan and the PS3 had a really slow acceleration. I already have a cheap PC for gaming so I'm not bothered with Titanfall or BF4. I'll probably wait till the price drop occurs and the new slim console to come out.
I don't really think they're going to make a slim console this time... 

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:39:19 »
My PS3 was my last console.  I won't every buy one again unless they can come up with a console that does something my PC can't do.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:41:50 »
Just wondering who here managed to get one? So far, the one we've got has experienced a few random errors when playing BF4, but so far it's been pretty stable for the most part. A lot of other owners haven't been so lucky from what I've read.
I picked one up at launch. I'm one of the (many) unlucky ones where BF4 is basically unplayable at the moment. It crashes and crashes and CRASHES!! I know it's a launch title and some bugs are to be expected but other than the odd round of team death match it's just riddled with problems. I'm just putting bf4 on the shelf until Dice patches the many issues it's having right now. In the meantime I'll play through assassins creed and hit up Resogun which is incredibly addictive. The PS4 itself runs great. You can't really knock the system this early. You gotta give the devs time to squeeze every bit of power they can from it before casting any judgments.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:44:53 »
Its already soo much slimmer than my "slim" 360 and there's no big power adapter box like my 360. Just a cord. The controllers feel really nice too.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:40:57 »

Its already soo much slimmer than my "slim" 360 and there's no big power adapter box like my 360. Just a cord. The controllers feel really nice too.

And you can cook eggs on it while you play!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:59:35 »
My PS3 was my last console.  I won't every buy one again unless they can come up with a console that does something my PC can't do.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:57:49 »

There's that, and then there's other upcoming titles not available on PC.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 09:32:08 »
For some reason I've started really wanting a PS4 the past week, but I'm not in a hurry. Might get a used PS3 before I get a PS4 even, but I am sure as hell getting me a PS4 controller soon to use with my PC.

Why'd you want a PS4? It's not worth it just to play a few exclusives, and apparently they aren't that good either from what I've heard. The controller may be nice, though.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Neal

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 09:35:15 »
Cancelled my pre-order because there is absolutely on the PS4 that I want to play that I can't on PC atm. :/

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 09:37:39 »
My dad got one saturday while I was visiting Florida. The controller is realllllllyyy nice. I love being able to plug my headphones into it so I can play without bothering anybody.

Console case is also really nice. Everything else is too soon to tell. Killzone is pretty but we need more than that lol.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 09:48:27 »

It's not worth it just to play a few exclusives, and apparently they aren't that good either from what I've heard.

From who? There are only four exclusives available right now, and two of them are freebies from PSPlus. The real meat and potatoes titles aren't even out yet.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 09:58:32 »
I got the pre-order bundle from Walmart and got it the 14th. It’s for my GF and her 9 year old for xmas.
Of course in the evenings she takes it out and plays the new Assassins Creed that came with it (he is getting some kids games).
Looks pretty good, the menus aren’t as refined as the PS3, the main one is kind of buggy, it likes to pop to the right for no reason. The game looks great, I haven’t played but watched her for an hour the other night. I don’t get into the console stuff that much, but when a new Gran Turismo drops I’ll be on it.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:01:44 »
Got one on Friday and it's pretty cool and the controller is great, way better than the older DS's. Ended up getting COD Ghost and that is a bit disappointment as the maps are too damn big for a 6v6. I feel like if you play a 16v16 or 6v6 the map sizes are the same. -_-

other than that, it's good!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:14:14 »

It's not worth it just to play a few exclusives, and apparently they aren't that good either from what I've heard.

From who? There are only four exclusives available right now, and two of them are freebies from PSPlus. The real meat and potatoes titles aren't even out yet.

I'm not going to bother going through my YouTube history full of countless gaming videos just to remember who said what about what and such, but it's at least words registered in my head.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:17:05 »

I'm not going to bother going through my YouTube history full of countless gaming videos just to remember who said what about what and such, but it's at least words registered in my head.

Yeah Killzone has gotten meh reviews, but given how the ****ed up Kz3 that's probably a positive for the series... and Knack has gotten very poor reviews. Resogun though has been pretty well liked it seems.

But.. launch games... the only smart thing to do is wait for it to have games you want to play or for it to come down in price.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:56:15 »

Okay, but first off, I don't know whether you're talking about the launch exclusives, or titles that haven't hit the market yet. Again, the most highly anticipated titles haven't even been released heretofore, so I'd consider opinions about them premature. However, if you're talking about launch titles such as Killzone, Resogun, or Knack, well, Knack is pretty lame, in my opinion, while Resogun has become an unforeseen hit, and Killzone has received high marks from IGN, Gamespot, and Gamesradar, just to name a few. Personally, I was more impressed with Killzone's single player campaign than its multiplayer component. That said, I really don't know which games you're talking about specifically, though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:57:53 by 1391406 »

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:03:28 »

Okay, but first off, I don't know whether you're talking about the launch exclusives, or titles that haven't hit the market yet. Again, the most highly anticipated titles haven't even been released heretofore, so I'd consider opinions about them premature. However, if you're talking about launch titles such as Killzone, Resogun, or Knack, well, Knack is pretty lame, in my opinion, while Resogun has become an unforeseen hit, and Killzone has received high marks from IGN, Gamespot, and Gamesradar, just to name a few. Personally, I was more impressed with Killzone's single player campaign than its multiplayer component. That said, I really don't know which games you're talking about specifically, though.

Read what baldgye said above, he hit it right on.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline 1391406

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:36:28 »

I read what he wrote. It wasn't his comments I was responding to, taking issue with, or inquiring about. You asked "Why'd you want a PS4?"  The answer is gamers don't typically buy a console based strictly on the strength of a two or three launch titles alone. At least I don't anyway. I mean, Titanfall looks great, but I wouldn't spend $500 just to play one or two games.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:42:26 by 1391406 »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:53:04 »
I think I am going to pass on any new console until it can run 4k res and I actually have a 4k tv.  That was really the only reason I wanted the PS3, was for a "smart" blu-ray player.  And then I still didn't get one until they got patched to run 3d. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1391406

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:00:04 »
I think I am going to pass on any new console until it can run 4k res and I actually have a 4k tv.  That was really the only reason I wanted the PS3, was for a "smart" blu-ray player.  And then I still didn't get one until they got patched to run 3d. 

You'll likely be waiting awhile unless a new console developer joins the ranks of the established. For example, Sony has stated they expect the PS4 to have a 20 year life cycle. Even if they patch it to work with 4K TVs, it'll still likely be years before it's actually implemented due to Sony's stipulation that it's conditional upon whether Broadcasters begin streaming it soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:03:37 by 1391406 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:00:49 »

I read what he wrote. It wasn't his comments I was responding to, taking issue with, or inquiring about. You asked "Why'd you want a PS4?"  The answer is gamers don't typically buy a console based strictly on the strength of a two or three launch titles alone. At least I don't anyway. I mean, Titanfall looks great, but I wouldn't spend $500 just to play one or two games.

It's still a fair question as at launch there are no really good games on either system.. both systems have OS's that are at launch not totally great and or better than PS3/360 (last gen I guess) OS's... PS4 being pretty limiting other than its streaming capabilities... on top of that your buying essentially rushed hardware that will have problems (and some systems apparently do) simply due to the nature of how hardware like this is made.
I did come close to getting a PS4, but there was nothing on it that I wanted to play, Gran Turismo 6 looks to be better than all the launch games for both systems combined and that's only on PS3...

I'm a gamer and for me, the PC/PS3 is still the best combo to play games on... but come spring I'll be getting a PS4 for MGS:GZ's

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:15:31 »
I want to get a ps4 soonish. Because if I get it in a year I'll have to wait 6 days for it to update everything.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:17:36 »

It's still a fair question as at launch there are no really good games on either system.. both systems have OS's that are at launch not totally great and or better than PS3/360 (last gen I guess) OS's... PS4 being pretty limiting other than its streaming capabilities... on top of that your buying essentially rushed hardware that will have problems (and some systems apparently do) simply due to the nature of how hardware like this is made.
I did come close to getting a PS4, but there was nothing on it that I wanted to play, Gran Turismo 6 looks to be better than all the launch games for both systems combined and that's only on PS3...

MGS GZ isn't due for release till Spring of next year, and while I plan on buying it when it comes out, I also plan on buying other exclusives in the coming months, however I didn't want to run into console acquisition issues due to potential shortages, not to mention I bought Killzone and a couple of other (non-exclusive) titles in the meantime.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:25:47 »
I'm a gamer and for me, the PC/PS3 is still the best combo to play games on... but come spring I'll be getting a PS4 for MGS:GZ's

I love playing games on PC, but where are they? There's a serious dearth.  I own a PS3 as well, and it's been a great console, but, in my opinion, it really can't compete with next gen hardware, and it seems extremely dated when compared to the games I've been playing on PS4. But you're right, if the games you're interested in won't be released for 6 or 7 months, there's not much point in buying a unit now. I wouldn't expect shortages to last that long.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:32:20 by 1391406 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:33:00 »

I love playing games on PC, but where are they? There's a serious dearth.  I own a PS3 as well, and it's been a great console, but, in my opinion, it really can't compete with next gen hardware, and it seems extremely dated when compared to the games I've been playing on PS4.

??

This makes little sense, GT6 comes out next month... and at least if your a racing fan is looking to be better than both KZ and Knack. The other titles BF4, CoD etc are better (well maybe not CoD... but why the **** is anyone buying CoD anyway?) on PC. The BF4 version for PC looks and runs better than the PS4 and XBONE versions... which shouldn't come as any real shock...
I'm not arguing that PS3/360 games don't look dated, becasue they do... but the PS3/360 games out atm and coming before the end of the year more than make up for it.

Getting one now becasue your worried there might be low stock seems a little silly, especially when launch hardware is so prone to problems, your usually always better off buying a system a month or two post-launch just becasue of how they refine hardware production...

Not really to be a hater or anything, but there just seems like no good reason to own one other than simply wanting one (which is totally fine, we are on a kb enthusiasts forum after all :P ).

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:16:14 »

Seeing as how people are getting bad consoles and apparently the heatsink isn't good enough and the console is overheating, I think they might do another revision. Like how Microsoft changed the chips in the old white 360s because people kept getting the RLOD.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:22:31 »

Seeing as how people are getting bad consoles and apparently the heatsink isn't good enough and the console is overheating, I think they might do another revision. Like how Microsoft changed the chips in the old white 360s because people kept getting the RLOD.

Your quick to jump to a pretty silly conclusion... My CPU is quad core and over-clocked to more than double its stock speed and is 100% fine maxed out on the really pretty small fan/heatsink it came with.
MS went for the 100% safe road, but in the process have probably over-done it. All launch hardware has issues, that's why its almost always a good idea to leave it a while for problems to be found and fixed before investing your own money.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:50:23 »
The only heat problems I have heard of were from demo models that were kept in a glass display case which Sony very clearly states not to do. I can say with confidence that after several hours of continuous play on my ps4, it remains cool as a cucumber.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:59:58 »

I love playing games on PC, but where are they? There's a serious dearth.  I own a PS3 as well, and it's been a great console, but, in my opinion, it really can't compete with next gen hardware, and it seems extremely dated when compared to the games I've been playing on PS4.

??

This makes little sense, GT6 comes out next month... and at least if your a racing fan is looking to be better than both KZ and Knack. The other titles BF4, CoD etc are better (well maybe not CoD... but why the **** is anyone buying CoD anyway?) on PC. The BF4 version for PC looks and runs better than the PS4 and XBONE versions... which shouldn't come as any real shock...

You cited what, 3 games? Some big name titles do hit PC. I love BF3 & 4 on PC, and I even own Black Ops II, but for the most part, developers are releasing far more titles on console.

I'm not arguing that PS3/360 games don't look dated, becasue they do... but the PS3/360 games out atm and coming before the end of the year more than make up for it.

Maybe to you, and if that's your thing then more power to you. Personally, I'm far more interested in the next gen titles due for release in the coming months.

Getting one now becasue your worried there might be low stock seems a little silly, especially when launch hardware is so prone to problems, your usually always better off buying a system a month or two post-launch just becasue of how they refine hardware production...

On the contrary, there's nothing silly about it. You likely won't find a PS4 in the next couple of months(unless you're willing to pay scalpers extortionist prices). Firstly, gamers and their parents are all clamoring to get one by Christmas, hence chances are they're going to be out of stock for awhile. Probably a few months. Secondly, the actual percentage of people who are experiencing problems with their systems is a fraction of overall owners. The only real hiccups I've had with the one here, for example, are BF4 crashes, but that's a developer issue, not a defect in the PS4's hardware. Go to twitch.tv and see how many livestreams of gameplay from the myriad PS4 owners who are happily playing various launch titles that you can find who are experiencing problems.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:02:13 by 1391406 »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:03:13 »
The only heat problems I have heard of were from demo models that were kept in a glass display case which Sony very clearly states not to do. I can say with confidence that after several hours of continuous play on my ps4, it remains cool as a cucumber.

Same here. I'm not sure what heating issues they're referring to other than, yes, the glass case demo.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:15:05 »

Same here. I'm not sure what heating issues they're referring to other than, yes, the glass case demo.
People just love hating things. They'll find the one isolated issue online  and associate it with every console produced. As far as any hardware issues that may or may not come up, I have an extended warranty and I'm not worried at all.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:28:13 »
lots of stuff!

I cited three games becasue those are the games that are new and out for the new systems, another thing that seems to be something that should be noted is that Sony has shifted over 1m PS4's in the 1st 24hrs of its launch, now no doubt there will be another increase in sales around Christmas... but the fact it's sold more at launch than the PS2 (for example) shows how good Sony are being with there production and distribution... I really don't see them being super hard to come by (like the Wii) in the following months.
Also worth noting is that these systems are essentially PC's and unlike the PS3 not totally bespoke machines. They also seem to have really good yield rates for the CPU's as MS was so confident in them they were actually able to speed them up. I don't know how it is in the US but I can pre-order one right now (either actually) and get one for week or so after launch, that dsn't really tell me that these things are going to have HUGE waiting lists...

And what games? The only games coming soon (next few months) for the next gen that I can think off are Titan Fall, Watch Dogs, Destiny(?) and Infamous two of which are coming to PC.... and you say that developers are releasing more on next gen systems, but if anything we have been seeing the exact opposite in recent years.. hell even the last Metal Gear game is coming to PC, something that hasn't happened since MGS2! And with the new systems being very very similar to PC's in architecture there is almost no reason why they wouldn't put out a PC version in due time.

I'm not saying there isn't a good reason to want to own a new system, I'm 100% buying one just for MGS:GZ's (just as I bought a PS3 for MGS4)... but c'on lol

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:29:09 »
Personally I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a console in one of the most anticipated hardware release's of all time. But since its not even out in the UK yet thats just a thought.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:35:03 »
I can only speak about my city here but at the Walmart super store here they had 144 consoles available to the public on launch day. There was maybe 75 people in line. Most people bought two. You didn't even really have to wait in line for one.

Some jackass wanted to buy 6 purely to flip them for profit to the people at the end of the line. I wanted him to slip into a coma.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:39:28 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:53:32 »

Your quick to jump to a pretty silly conclusion... My CPU is quad core and over-clocked to more than double its stock speed and is 100% fine maxed out on the really pretty small fan/heatsink it came with.
MS went for the 100% safe road, but in the process have probably over-done it. All launch hardware has issues, that's why its almost always a good idea to leave it a while for problems to be found and fixed before investing your own money.

And that's what I'm saying. The PS4 just launched and people are reporting issues with their console and since there's no exclusives I'm interested in at launch, I'm going to wait until they fix the reported issues and when there's a good amount of console games released. If I'm going to wait for that long, I'm hoping that Sony will announce a price drop or a revision if there's some sort of issue that can't be patched with a firmware update. What silly conclusion am I jumping into? My only conclusion is that I'm not buying the PS4 this close to launch.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:40:02 »

And that's what I'm saying. The PS4 just launched and people are reporting issues with their console and since there's no exclusives I'm interested in at launch, I'm going to wait until they fix the reported issues and when there's a good amount of console games released. If I'm going to wait for that long, I'm hoping that Sony will announce a price drop or a revision if there's some sort of issue that can't be patched with a firmware update. What silly conclusion am I jumping into? My only conclusion is that I'm not buying the PS4 this close to launch.

Then you just said something I already posted ^^ we all know what state launch PS3's and 360's are in :P

Offline 1391406

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 18:30:36 »
I cited three games becasue those are the games that are new and out for the new systems

Three is a drop in the bucket. There are myriad exclusives only available for consoles. For example:

The Last Of Us
God of War: Ascension
Dragon's Crown
Injustice: Gods Among Us
BEYOND: Two Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Red Dead Redemption
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Ratchet and Clank

And that's hardly an exhaustive list.

another thing that seems to be something that should be noted is that Sony has shifted over 1m PS4's in the 1st 24hrs of its launch, now no doubt there will be another increase in sales around Christmas... but the fact it's sold more at launch than the PS2 (for example) shows how good Sony are being with there production and distribution... I really don't see them being super hard to come by (like the Wii) in the following months.

According to sources, there could be shortages up to four months post launch.

Also worth noting is that these systems are essentially PC's and unlike the PS3 not totally bespoke machines. They also seem to have really good yield rates for the CPU's as MS was so confident in them they were actually able to speed them up. I don't know how it is in the US but I can pre-order one right now (either actually) and get one for week or so after launch, that dsn't really tell me that these things are going to have HUGE waiting lists...

Yes, I can buy one right now in the US from Amazon... if I'm willing to pay upwards of $900 for it. They're not available at Gamestop, either.

And what games?

Driveclub
Destiny
Carmageddon: Reincarnation
Infamous 2nd Son

and you say that developers are releasing more on next gen systems, but if anything we have been seeing the exact opposite in recent years..

Actually, no, we haven't. You've cited two games out of how many that are being released for PC?

So tell me. Which one is bigger... the list of PC exclusive titles? Or console exclusive games? The answer speaks for itself.

And with the new systems being very very similar to PC's in architecture there is almost no reason why they wouldn't put out a PC version in due time.

PC's have long surpassed the Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of capability, however that hasn't stopped numerous titles from never seeing the light of day on PC.

Honestly, I wish more developers would develop all or most of the same titles on consoles for PC. I love being able to play at higher resolutions with a mouse and keyboard, but sadly, that's just not the case anymore. Other than the big name FPS's which require a key to play online, as well as a few other big name titles, I think rampant piracy on the PC is one reason a lot of developers have shifted their efforts toward consoles.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:52:22 by 1391406 »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 18:42:17 »
I can only speak about my city here but at the Walmart super store here they had 144 consoles available to the public on launch day. There was maybe 75 people in line. Most people bought two. You didn't even really have to wait in line for one.

Some jackass wanted to buy 6 purely to flip them for profit to the people at the end of the line. I wanted him to slip into a coma.

There was an ample supply at the Best Buy I purchased mine from on launch day, and everyone who wanted one was able to buy one. I overheard one of the store employees saying they had roughly 100 over the pre-order inventory. That said, there was no way of knowing which stores would have enough and which ones wouldn't. For example, a lot of people weren't so lucky at the local GameStop here. I figured GameStop would be swamped, though. And now they're impossible to find at Best Buy, GameStop, or Amazon, that is unless you want to spend upwards of $900.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 18:44:07 by 1391406 »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 18:55:52 »
The FutureShop in my city only had 26 over pre-sale inventory. And it opened an hour later than Walmart. I know one person who waited there from midnight until 8am when they could have just went to Walmart at 7am, walked in, got one of the 144 and been on there way home in 20 minutes total.