Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic Unboxing  (Read 96272 times)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:19:27 »
Quote from: sordna;501501
I'm starting to doubt you are a long time Kinesis user.

Thats fine. If I remember you also thought, or think - I don't know - that I'm an agent of TE.

Anyhow we seem to have hit some kind of even keel so maybe we should minimize personal accusations, just a suggestion.

The firmware has changed several times, I have 3 different generations (there are more) and all of them have noticeable firmware differences (newer generations have newer functions added). Also the Caps Lock beep can be turned off for crying out loud.. Just hit Pgm and the - key right under it. It's in the manual.

OK, I didn't notice the firmware changing, probably because I don't use the macros. And thanks for the caps lock tip, didn't notice that one. I still have trouble with the keyboard and OS X. It's always been rock steady on Windows.

Here we go again. The Pro is $299 shipped. The TE first of all is not $220 but $229, and over $250 shipped. And you shouldn't compare the [most expensive Kinesis to the cheapest TE, it doesn't matter that you prefer the metallic finish. If you take extremes the other way around, regular Advantage is $269 shipped, TE with reds shipped is what, $280 ?

Shipping doesn't count for comparison - otherwise thanks for the correction. Apologies I keep making that mistake, quibbling, but remembering exact prices isn't high on my list and I'm too lazy (or busy) to look it up each time.

Nope, Kinesis is available with brown and red.

Red is a standard option? I've never seen it, not on the website or in stock as far as I know, special order?

Hello, any case needs an opening if you want to add connectors to it. That applies to any device with a USB hub. Are you complaining about the hole shape or what? What a whiner!!! I've used the hub, it works fine and the connectors feel very secure.  You don't have to use the hub if you have no need for it, it's not a con.

Again the snipes. I was on a tear this morning and threw out everything that came to mind, agree that it's not a strong point. Otherwise its nitpicking.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:32:30 by Architect »
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:31:38 »
Quote from: dorkvader;501559
Aha! I don't have this issue, with my standing desk. I have two keyboard positions. In the upper one, I'd only rest the very edge of my palms on the kinesis. I'm trying the sower position now, and I only rest my fingers. It's awesome.

I have a standing desk at work and four at home. The keyboard tray is probably the most sophisticated available (part of the desk and rotates in what, two or three dimensions). The height of the keyboard is still above that of the mouse.

You forgot: kinesis comes in red as the "LF" version. Technically speaking, this isn't a problem with availability, as with some time (or pay a GH'er to do it) you can put any cherry switch on it pretty easily. I do think that's just an issue with the wording, as you certainly can buy a TE premade in one more switch: blue

At, LF for Low Force or some such. OK answers that question, didn't know about it.

Thank God, I hate those things.

Not a bother with my standing desk.

With the bowls on the Kinesis that the fingers tuck down into the palms naturally want to rest on the palm rest while typing, for me at least and what I hear  from others. For standing (or sitting for that matter) I can adjust the tray so that they can't tuck, but then that screws up the graphics tablet ergonomics, trackpad and hotkey keyboard (XKeys).

I don't think this is as much a good argument as your other ones (which have been consistently good, I just don't agree with them for my purposes).

No problem, this is all my personal opinion and like *******s we all have them. I'm not trying to make the case that Kinesis sucks, sorry if I give that impression and I keep saying (I think) that it is not the case. I'm just pointing out my observations. The Kinesis picks up crumbs, dust bunnies, oil (hand oil?) over time inside the case in my experience.

I don't know about this: Apple is about as workable with other stuff as SUN. I'm really surprised to find USB ports on the back of ours. While I agree that if there's some issue, Kinesis should find and fix it, but Apple seems to exist to make thing more difficult for everyone else. This is one of my many gripes with apple, and why I don't plan on buying from them.

That said, anyone want my mac pro?

Run Win 7 in bootcamp on the pro. But Apple USB has been a multi year struggle with me. Seems like Lion has mostly fixed the problems.

When I heard about this (hitting both shifts to get into capslock) I thought it was the best idea ever. It made so much sense! Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Maybe they added it later? maybe it's linux? Maybe it's my adapter?
Dunno, I hit it accidentally all the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: some of your arguments aren't really issues with the kinesis, but with your application of it.

Possibly

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:53:57 »
Quote from: Architect;501415
TAB KEY>

Tab key: Interesting, I don't use tab all that much when programming, I guess auto indent/auto format works pretty well (I code Java and a proprietary script language using Eclipse). As for program switching: I assume you use pinky (Command) + index (Tab)? I use thumb (Command) + pinky (tab), wouldn't say one way is better than the other. I thought about putting Tab to the thumb area, but that would be uncomfortable for one-hand program switching unless I'd put Command somewhere else, which I won't do.

Bracket keys: Don't have any problems with bracket location any more, though they took some getting used to, as I'm sure they did on the TE as well. They're not much further away from the home row than on the TE either, you have to skip over one row to get there, and less pinky spread is needed. Switching tabs in a browser I usually do by tilting the mouse wheel left or right (I'm quite particular with mice as well, they must have at least 2 thumb buttons as well as a tilt wheel)

Curved circuit board feels less solid: Aye, compared to the flat and heavy TE it does feel less solid. Luckily this isn't an issue when typing.

Firmware/compatibility: Been using Kinesis with OS X for 4 years without issues. Dunno about any CapsLock beep, but I don't have CapsLock anyway. Most if not all sounds are configurable though. I love the Kinesis's remapping ability right on the keyboard, though if TE ever release remapping software it will most likely be more more adaptable. Not hot on in keyboard macros, I don't use them on the Kinesis either; I do however use a software that does text replacement system wide (Typinator). Programing firmware oneself is very intriguing though, because of the ability to add extra layers with fn keys.

Price: TE is cheaper, and it should be given it's easier to produce (flat vs curved). However I see no reason to compare it to the Advantage Pro, which mostly adds more macros and a footswitch.

Switches: They added a red switch option to the Advantage some time last year, I'm typing this on reds (upgraded board which had browns originally). :) No clue how well blues would work on the Advantage, but I'm not usually a clicky fan. I thought I liked tactile, but interestingly I prefer reds over browns on the Advantage.

Blank key caps: Aye they're not available from Kinesis any more, which is a shame. I hope the replacements I ordered from WASD will be nice. :)

Options (physical layout): no need to count key caps twice, so the TE has 3 options: 104, 105 and 109. The Advantage has no (physical layout) options in my book.

Hand separation: Pros and cons for either I guess... I haven't use TE too much, but it didn't feel less comfortable for the short periods I used it.

Pedal/cover/wrist rest/crud/USB hub: Shrug.

Center area: Would love some extra buttons there, as I said in previous post at the functions keys bullet. Have to agree that the smaller width helps with mouse position.

Double shift caps lock: Hmm, I wouldn't mind a double shift caps lock feature on the Advantage from time to time, since I have no Caps Lock key, but no such luck on mine (4ish years old).

Thanks for the extensive list of things you like. It hasn't changed my opinion, but was interesting. The issues you have with the Kinesis I don't have or don't agree with, and some of the stuff I do agree with are comparatively minor for me (F# keys, wasted space). At the end of the day I think I love the Advantage's thumb keys way too much. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:59:37 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 15:01:30 »
Quote from: Architect;501415

Compatability, to this day I have trouble with the Kinesis and OS X. I have a lot of computers running around here, about six or 10 macs, and they nearly all have trouble with the Kinesis (but none with the TE so far). Wake from sleep, goofy this, goofy that. Kinesis blames Apple. Maybe so, but Kinesis is the smaller company and should get it to work with them IMO.
 customer service kicks TE's ass

(my emphasis)

The first post in your thread TE Bugs goes
Quote from: Architect;474317
I wrote the company but no response (no surprise). On Mac OSX, after the computer is put to sleep (or actually it seems to happen when the computer puts itself to sleep, not when I explicitly sleep it), when it wakes again the keyboard isn't responding. Manually plugging in and out again is required.

OS X has issues with third party hubs, if they have a USB hub at the head of that circuit (common) that might be the problem. Hopefully it's just a firmware bug they can fix. Anybody else seen this? I've had it happen a few times which is really annoying.

Sheesh - maybe it wasn't annoying enough for you to remember.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 15:11:33 »
Oh, and  from the TrulyErgonomicvs Kinesis Advantage Pro thread
Quote from: Architect;272410

- The Advantage requires to be unplugged and re-plugged in after every time I sleep the computer to reset the keyboard firmware, which is to say every day, on OS X. Doesn't matter which USB port it's on, a hub, and I've tried it with two Advantage Pro's. I suspect that Windows is getting some kind of USB reset on wake from sleep (the keyboard gives a click) that OS X isn't doing, however the company is washing their hands of it, and I'm not going to keep replugging the keyboard every day so it's useless.

So both keyboards are useless, yes?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 16:31:32 »
Quote from: Architect;501598
Run Win 7 in bootcamp on the pro. But Apple USB has been a multi year struggle with me. Seems like Lion has mostly fixed the problems.

I can't do that, because it didn't come with a graphics card, but I just put the HDD from my old windows box in, and it worked fine. It even recognized almost all the drivers. I'm too lazy to get one of those UEFI compatible apple GPU's.

My standing desk is the opposite of complicated: it's a stack of boxes (old computers). I just threw some textbooks under the keyboards to raise them up to the proper level.

So: In general, I like all the thought you have put on it, I think it'll really help people get an idea of the choices, and possible things to consider. I think the kinesis will work out better for me, but I have to admit that you raise some good points. Also with all the kinesis fans retaliating, there's a lot of good info here. I hope it will allow people to make the decision that's right for them.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 05:54:48 »
Quote from: hoggy;501728
Sheesh - maybe it wasn't annoying enough for you to remember.

That turned out to not be a problem with the TE, it was a bug in ControllerMate and Thunderbolt displays. I contacted Ken at OrderedBytes and he added TB audio to the ignore list - problem solved. Somehow it rippled through the USB system and caused USB audio problems too (the USB system wasn't enumerating properly)

Quote from: hoggy;501744
So both keyboards are useless, yes?

Its random. I've seen USB sleep from wake issues with many devices, the Kinesis are just prone to them in my experience. I have them plugged into switched USB hubs so I can flick the power when they need a reboot though (for that reason).

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 06:07:39 »
Quote from: dorkvader;501836
I can't do that, because it didn't come with a graphics card, but I just put the HDD from my old windows box in, and it worked fine. It even recognized almost all the drivers. I'm too lazy to get one of those UEFI compatible apple GPU's.

roger

So: In general, I like all the thought you have put on it, I think it'll really help people get an idea of the choices, and possible things to consider. I think the kinesis will work out better for me, but I have to admit that you raise some good points. Also with all the kinesis fans retaliating, there's a lot of good info here. I hope it will allow people to make the decision that's right for them.

Thanks, I agree. The ironic thing is that the Kinesis fan club is that it is what causes me to discuss its shortcomings so much. If they didn't 1) continually bash TE and 2) make a stink anything said anything not flattering of Kinesis I wouldn't elaborate the point.  

The ergo keyboard market is small and specialty, I want all the manufactures to flourish, INCLUDING the new kid on the block and the old ones.

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 06:59:35 »
Ironic, indeed.  I'm only posting here because I believe you work for TE...

However, I do understand that it's possible for that not to be the case and that I've been bugging you unjustly.  So, if you can publish photos of your setups (you do have a lot of gear) that proves your point (the fact you need 3, the height of the kinesis interferes with a boom mic etc and a group shot of your keyboards) , then I'll man up, apologise and back out of the thread.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 08:58:04 »
Quote from: hoggy;502259
Ironic, indeed.  I'm only posting here because I believe you work for TE...

Are you serious? I lost track of who was in the conspiracy club, thought you were one of the sane ones

However, I do understand that it's possible for that not to be the case and that I've been bugging you unjustly.  So, if you can publish photos of your setups (you do have a lot of gear) that proves your point (the fact you need 3, the height of the kinesis interferes with a boom mic etc and a group shot of your keyboards) , then I'll man up, apologise and back out of the thread.

'man up' - in this context? Sorry if I think this is totally pathetic and I'm not going to feed the trolls. I don't have to prove anything, this is a fu**ing internet forum. Conspiracy theorists never change their minds in my experience, the conspiracy just moves somewhere else. If I was a secret agent you'd think I would just open a new account under a different email and try again, this time a I'd promote TE more subtly, unbelievable.

I've been hanging around to pick up a few ErgoDox to give them a try. Who knows, maybe it'll be the bomb, but at this point I'm really tired of this stupidity. The ErgoDox group buy can thank you for the loss of three purchases.

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 10:20:17 »
Quote from: Architect;502256
The ironic thing is that the Kinesis fan club is that it is what causes me to discuss its shortcomings so much. If they didn't 1) continually bash TE and 2) make a stink anything said anything not flattering of Kinesis I wouldn't elaborate the point.

These are outright lies. We only make a stink on some FALSE stuff you write. Not to mention a dozen people, most of them not even Kinesis users, have called you out. Explain why you have managed to get in trouble with so many people when discussing the TE.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 10:32:31 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 13:35:35 »
FWIW I do value Architect's input regarding the Advantage and TE comparison, that's why I asked for it. Of course I didn't agree with everything (didn't expect to), but it helped me understand the issues some people have that others might not have, or have just learned to live with. As for proof, he did post a picture with an Advantage and TE together somewhere, that's all that matters to me. :)

Regarding the TE spy theory, I can't believe you guys still believe in it. :D
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline RTbar

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #362 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 14:41:04 »
I sent them an email regarding my order a few days ago and no response... If I don't hear something this week I am going to ask for a refund and get a Kinesis.

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 17:16:30 »
Quote from: boli;502482
Regarding the TE spy theory, I can't believe you guys still believe in it. :D

Some things about Architect and TE are eerie... latest one is comparing the TE price to the Kinesis Advantage Pro MSRP $320. Few days back, someone complained on the TE page on facebook that the TE is too expensive, and they said among other things the Kinesis Advantage Pro costs up to $320.

It is very bizzare to compare the TE to the Kinesis Advantage Pro (why the Pro ??? you would only do that if there was a silver TE to compare to) and  I can understand why TE themselves muddy the waters with such unfair and unreasonable comparisons, but having a consumer just "happen to" make that unfair and unreasonable comparison is extremely suspicious.

Not only that, he quoted the TE being $220 when it's $229 or $230 if you want it rounded, plus expensive shipping, and by the way the Kinesis Advantage is $269 with free shipping. A real consumer cares about the final price. He posted those phony $220 vs $320 numbers just to exaggerate the price difference to a striking $100 dollars, when in actuality the TE costs the same as the Advantage, shipped.

A ton of people, not even kinesis users, called Arhitect a TE "agent" at various times, even before the TE was shipped, and even before Architect got into the habit of posting false stuff about Kinesis. His TE touting was just so over the top. I didn't mind back then (even though most people did and called him out), but I started getting annoyed when he started posting false things about the Kinesis Advantage.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:50:27 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #364 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 17:45:53 »
That does sound a bit eerie, but the price thing could be anything from over-enthusiasm to carelessness. About comparing to the Advantage Pro: I don't get that either, like I wrote earlier. The plastic on the non-Pro Advantage is just fine IME.

As for shipping, I guess it depends where you live. In my case (Switzerland) the shipping costs for the Advantage LF were roughly double that of the TE ($85 vs $39). Then again, I had a tracking number for the Advantage shipment, and a surprise package delivery with the TE, so I'd argue the extra cost was worth it. ;)

To be honest until recently I didn't even know the Advantage was available for less than $299 when not purchasing directly from Kinesis. Haven't checked on international availability on that, but could have possibly saved a few bucks a couple years ago... So personally I'd have used $229 and $299 when comparing, and would have thought that was quite fine - for less than a third more you get a nicely curved keyboard with loads of thumb switches and on-the-keyboard remapping ability. I often believe you get what you pay for. :)

Update: Despite me preferring the Advantage so far I'm sure people can be happy with a TE as well. The more people become aware of the awesomeness of non-staggered rows the better, be it with a TE, Advantage, Maltron, TM or whatever. :D

Update 2: Fair enough, I guess I haven't been here for the whole story. Enthusiasm is good, false info is not. There's more and more useful info here though, I just wish more people would talk about their experiences with the TE. Maybe - like me - they haven't given it a long term try for lack of easy remapping. Yes, I could use third party software (I already have a ControllerMate license), but I don't want to do it in several OSs. The beauty of remapping in firmware is to be able to avoid just that...
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 18:01:41 by boli »

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:46:16 »
Quote from: boli;502633
Update: Despite me preferring the Advantage so far I'm sure people can be happy with a TE as well. The more people become aware of the awesomeness of non-staggered rows the better, be it with a TE, Advantage, Maltron, TM or whatever. :D

I absolutely agree. I WANT more alternatives with straight columns, that's why I even said the TE should lower the price, to get more sales and create some competition. TE is doing Kinesis a favor at the moment, with their price almost as high as theirs.

Update 2: Fair enough, I guess I haven't been here for the whole story. Enthusiasm is good, false info is not. There's more and more useful info here though, I just wish more people would talk about their experiences with the TE. Maybe - like me - they haven't given it a long term try for lack of easy remapping. Yes, I could use third party software (I already have a ControllerMate license), but I don't want to do it in several OSs. The beauty of remapping in firmware is to be able to avoid just that...

Let's see if at least TE's remapping software will be available for the platforms their keyboard supports: Windows, Mac, Linux. I have a feeling it will be Windows only, but I hope I'm wrong.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:49:28 »
Look I found more matrix keyboards. :D

Don't mind this silly post, I stumbled on above keyboard while checking a few sites of Kinesis resellers in Europe.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:39:55 by boli »

Offline wrtcedar

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:10:20 »
Quote from: boli;503016
Look I found more matrix keyboards. :D

And it's even got tiny F-keys, just like... (never mind)

Offline Columnaire

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 10:43:09 »
Wow this conversation has descended into name-calling and conspiracy theories. For the record, I am a TE owner, a TE lover, not a TE employee, also frustrated by TE's poor customer service, and yet, in the end, this keyboard is so great that it makes me forget the bad service and long delays.

* There is no reason to complain about the location of the shift keys. They are in the correct position. All other keyboards put them in the incorrect position.

* People complain about the price, but really guys, any middle class person can pay a day-and-a-half's wages for a keyboard which will last them a lifetime. Good input and output devices (keyboards, mice, trackpads, thumb balls, monitors, speakers) have a much longer shelf life than the computers they plug into.

* The TE is, of course, an ergo keyboard. If it prevents even one trip to a doctor, over your entire lifetime, then you have saved money. But this isn't the reason the keyboard is worth the price, the quality and configuration of the keyboard are sufficient for the price.

* The TE designers have addressed the position of the F keys. They claim that putting the F keys in the main column layout is "wrong". I have no opinion on this. I would not be a person who would touch-type F keys, so it is perfectly natural for me to look down, find the button, and press it. I think they are fine.

* All you keyboard snobs are exactly right: these Cherry MX keyswitches are downright amazing.

* Excised numberpad is the second best keyboard feature, after the columnar layout.

This keyboard is nearly perfect. I might suggest

* A dedicated caps lock key, hidden up with the rest of the F keys. I don't so much mind pressing Fn-CapsLock, but it's hard to do Fn-down-hold+CapsLock-down+CapsLock-up+Fn-up-release. If you mess that up, then the start menu opens. This is an extremely minor frustration.

* I previously had a TouchStream, and I really learned to love the backspace/delete key being under my left thumb. It seemed to make sense that I could make a forward space (normal space) with my forward thumb (right thumb when typing English) and could do a backward space (delete) with my backward thumb (left thumb when typing English). Basically I'm saying that thumbs are our most useful digits, and I still think they are under-utilized with the TE keyboard.

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:30:34 »
Quote from: Columnaire;504209
* There is no reason to complain about the location of the shift keys. They are in the correct position. All other keyboards put them in the incorrect position.

That reminds me of the joke about a guy hearing on the car radio about some crazy driver driving the wrong way on the highway. He said: "One driver ? Hell, it's thousands of them!" :-)

Seriously, the problem with Shift in regular keyboards is overuse of the pinkies. A real solution to this issue would be to move the Shift in the middle, so it is pressed with the thumb or index finger. Moving them one row up causes significant adjustment trouble for a rather small benefit.

* The TE designers have addressed the position of the F keys. They claim that putting the F keys in the main column layout is "wrong".

They also claimed that the TE is healthier than a datahand. It's an easy way out to claim that anyone else is wrong, but it's illogical.

I have no opinion on this. I would not be a person who would touch-type F keys, so it is perfectly natural for me to look down, find the button, and press it. I think they are fine.

I honestly think they put the F-keys like they did for (their own) aesthetic reasons. It would be indisputably better to put them over the num row, following the columns, so they can be touch typed. A keyboard with blank keys should illustrate better how the F-key should be touch typed, since you won't be able to glance and read the F number.

Anyway, I like a lot of things about this keyboard; I might have even bought one if the TE folks had more honest tactics.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:42:31 by sordna »

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:46:55 »
Quote from: Columnaire;504209

I'm with sordna on this: I do think the TE Shift location is better, but I don't think the improvement is major enough to warrant the relearning or constant trouble when using another keyboard. I think they should have added a Ctrl/Shift swap dip switch.
Other than the Shifts I was pretty much good to go with my TE, the other major hurdle being the left space key, it definitely needs to be a Command key for me - both things easily fixable with remapping.

Basically I'm saying that thumbs are our most useful digits, and I still think they are under-utilized with the TE keyboard.

100% agree, that's why I love the Kinesis so much. Have you tried one? (Sorry I didn't search for it)

Offline erw

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:24:31 »
Quote from: sordna;504244
Seriously, the problem with Shift in regular keyboards is overuse of the pinkies. A real solution to this issue would be to move the Shift in the middle, so it is pressed with the thumb or index finger.

How can mention "overuse" in one sentence and suggest more work for the index fingers in the next sentence? :boom:
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline Keymonger

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:26:12 »
Index fingers are stronger than pinkies...

Offline erw

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:37:31 »
So what? They're overworked anyway. I'd say middle fingers are at least as strong as index fingers, yet they have only half the number of keys compared to the index fingers. The thumbs are the only fingers that should get more load, imo.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:38:52 by erw »
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:43:32 »
I said thumb or index (thumb are even stronger) but I'm not ruling out other suggestions. Holding down a key is significant effort, and the most frequently held-down key is the shift and at the same time assigned to the weakest finger. Maybe mapping the current Del or Tab to do Shift on the TE keyboard is something good to try.

Offline heuristicist

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 14:03:10 »
Has anyone who ordered recently got their keyboards or at least a shipping notice? Silence on my end, I'm starting to get an inkling of what you guys had to deal with over the past however many years it's been since pre-orders...

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 14:06:35 »
I used to play guitar for years (long time ago), and IIRC my teacher told me that while the pinky might be weak, it's apparently the second most nimble finger (after the index). The least nimble is the ring finger IIRC, you figure out the rest. Not sure if it's true, but it feels as if it could be.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 14:43:53 »
Quote from: ripster;504502
Your guitar teacher was smoking dope.

Dunno, sounds pretty reasonable to me given that the middle and ring finger apparently share a tendon. You might know the demo where you place your hand on the table palm down, tuck in your middle finger, then try lifting your ring finger.
Also it would make sense that the index and ring finger are more nimble because they can move more, being on the outer edges of the hand.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2012, 14:53:28 by boli »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 22:50:10 »
Quote from: ripster;504502
Your guitar teacher was smoking dope.

However it is scientifically true if your ring finger is the same or shorter than your index finger then you are gay.  Or a girl.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v404/n6777/abs/404455a0.html
Yeah, I read about that. Depending on my hand position, my index goes from longer to much longer, but I already knew I was a heterosexual male.

Boli: I think it makes sense for the pinkie to be more "nimble" than some of the other fingers, as it's got a less limited range of motion: there's nothing on one side of it. I think in the context of guitar, this makes sense. The webbing on my fingers is really thick, so all my fingers are individually really flexible, but I can't move them apart from the digit next to them very easily. This means that I can't do "y" in ASL very easily. Or play guitar :(

Offline Lanx

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 23:37:11 »
pinky finger is overloaded on the keyboard, the only reason modifers and other keys i.e. shift/tab/enter are used for the pinky is because there simply is too many keys for the hands, and the index finger already handles the TGB/YHN column, physically a keyboard can only expand out <--     --> to put more keys in.

Offline tamaracks

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 00:16:40 »
Quote from: heuristicist;504484
Has anyone who ordered recently got their keyboards or at least a shipping notice? Silence on my end, I'm starting to get an inkling of what you guys had to deal with over the past however many years it's been since pre-orders...

I ordered on the 20th, the web site said in stock keyboards ship within 24 hours. I hadn't heard anything, and all the chatter here has made me nervous, so I emailed them on Thursday night. I got a response later that night saying it would ship on Friday the 27th and I would get an email with the tracking number. But, alas, no tracking number so far. I just sent another email tonight. Bah. It doesn't make me feel any better knowing that they already charged my credit card.

fossala

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 00:26:25 »
Quote from: tamaracks;504985
I ordered on the 20th, the web site said in stock keyboards ship within 24 hours. I hadn't heard anything, and all the chatter here has made me nervous, so I emailed them on Thursday night. I got a response later that night saying it would ship on Friday the 27th and I would get an email with the tracking number. But, alas, no tracking number so far. I just sent another email tonight. Bah. It doesn't make me feel any better knowing that they already charged my credit card.

I cannot believe people are still surprised that they are still lying/****ing people over.

Offline _david

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 02:47:56 »
Quote from: heuristicist;504484

They’ve sent me a tracking number yesterday. I had to ask for it once more. The tracking information indicates that they’ve sent the thing on the 26th (as promised) and it arrived in the US on the 27th. No more updates since then. I hope that it’s my keyboard, since the address does not show up on the tracking page.

Offline biochem

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 09:00:59 »
I ordered a TE keyboard on Jan 19. Got this email today:

Our distributor company, I to I logistics Inc., installed a new shipping system at their office and encountered diverse technical issues preventing them to ship orders during this time. All these issues are now solved and our distributor has restarted shipping our orders.

Your order 76163 will be shipped by Wednesday February 1st. We will send you another email with a tracking number when available.

We sincerely apologize for this unforeseen shipping delay; rest assure we are doing everything we can to make sure you receive your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard as soon as possible.

Regards,
The Truly Ergonomic team
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 14:36:06 »
...Truly Ergonomic Communication March 2012...

Would prefer to be proved wrong.

[edit] and for the love of food - some names, please!

Offline heuristicist

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #385 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 02:35:15 »
Quote from: _david;505062
They’ve sent me a tracking number yesterday. I had to ask for it once more. The tracking information indicates that they’ve sent the thing on the 26th (as promised) and it arrived in the US on the 27th. No more updates since then. I hope that it’s my keyboard, since the address does not show up on the tracking page.

How did you get through to them? I've sent two emails already, the second of which made very clear my desire to get a refund and complain to PayPal if they don't get me some info soon...

Offline Fobbah

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #386 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 03:20:55 »
Quote from: biochem;505194
Our distributor company, I to I logistics Inc., installed a new shipping system at their office and encountered diverse technical issues preventing them to ship orders during this time. All these issues are now solved and our distributor has restarted shipping our orders.

Your order 76163 will be shipped by Wednesday February 1st. We will send you another email with a tracking number when available.

We sincerely apologize for this unforeseen shipping delay; rest assure we are doing everything we can to make sure you receive your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard as soon as possible.

Regards,
The Truly Ergonomic team

Good to see we're getting our $79 worth in shipping....

It wouldn't suprise me if truthfully they have no stock and are using our purchases to finance the next production run.

Offline _david

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #387 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 03:32:49 »
Quote from: heuristicist;506169
How did you get through to them? I've sent two emails already, the second of which made very clear my desire to get a refund and complain to PayPal if they don't get me some info soon...
I’ve explained my special case: I’m living in Europe, but ordered it to a friend in Ohio. He will fly on sunday. I told them I’d have to change order details and delivery address and guess it would have created them more work to deal with that than prioritizing my order. At least they seem to read mail. I also got answers with a name below them :-). btw: The package arrived at my friend’s a couple of hours ago.

[edit:] as it’s night in Ohio: it probably arrived yesterday evening. I don’t know to which timezone the tracking times refer.

Offline heuristicist

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #388 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 07:34:11 »
Quote from: _david;506199
I don’t know to which timezone the tracking times refer.

AFAIK they're always local times.

Offline jweezy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #389 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 08:40:22 »
Let's just hope when we receive our keyboards we don't need to rely on them for any support.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #390 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 08:54:33 »
Indeed.

The keyboard as such is pretty nice, albeit somewhat incomplete without the remapping software.

Offline jweezy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 09:00:32 »
Argh yeah, forgot about that.

Hmm

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 10:47:17 »
Oh well, you'll either have to adjust to the layout they provide (and most likely struggle for a while with the Shift key placement), or use one of the software remapping possibilities they recommend (I just noticed they provide an AutoHotkey template for windows).

Personally I can't be bothered to do software remapping in multiple OSs, and hence I postponed my trial until they release software. From the limited testing so far I do like the keyboard though (even though I like the Advantage even more).

Offline Con a la Bon

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:28:18 »
I also sent an email asking about tracking info and they said a shipping date of Jan. 31.  I just received my TECK today.  So looks like they're at least being somewhat truthful.  

On the shift issue, I have my shift mapped to Caps Lock on my otherkeyboards, too.  I still use a regular layout at work and I'm actually okay switching back and forth now.

Offline jweezy

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 14:29:49 »
Quote from: Con a la Bon;506495
I also sent an email asking about tracking info and they said a shipping date of Jan. 31.  I just received my TECK today.  So looks like they're at least being somewhat truthful.  

On the shift issue, I have my shift mapped to Caps Lock on my otherkeyboards, too.  I still use a regular layout at work and I'm actually okay switching back and forth now.

Just curious when you ordered?

Offline Con a la Bon

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:28:42 »
Quote from: jweezy;506547
Just curious when you ordered?

Ordered Jan. 19.

Offline kuato

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #396 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 20:44:00 »
Hey all. Ordered mine Jan 20 and got it today. Typing on it now, actually.

First impressions:

Wow this thing is well built. The wrist rest is no joke and it feels very much like part of the keyboard. Very solid.

While I dig that the caps lock is gone, I find the shift placement to completely throw me off. The ctrl placement is probably great for people who use emacs. I have the printed QWERTY 104 with MX browns.

I'll probably start a separate thread to go more into depth on this thing when I get some more time on this.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 01:42:21 »
Hey kuato, glad you got your keyboard. I'm looking forward to reading your experiences down the line.
As for the Shifts, they threw me off too, but I hear you'll get used to them (unless you decide to move them back via software).

Offline Fobbah

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 02:10:19 »
Ordered mine on Jan 21 and received it today. Will let you guys know how it goes *goes to plug it in* :)

Offline Fobbah

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 03:06:45 »
I like it so far, although I kind if regret not getting the 109 model now. the main drawback to the default 104 layout is that alt and tab are so far apart - being able to alt tab with one hand is supremely useful and will no doubt annoy me, although I will probably get around this by remapping the delete key to the right alt or something - so all is not lost. Having typed on choc minis for the last few months I'm used to having my delete key down there anyway.

Extremely well built, feels very solid.

Matrix layout will take some getting used too, but its not too bad.

So far i recommend that anyone who likes mechanicals and the microsoft natural layout to give this a go - but do yourself a favour and get the 109 version for the extra flexibility. You might not want to remap your keys, but its the same price, and a pretty expensive board to change your mind later on - so in retrospect it would have been nice to have the option. The only difference is that some of the least accessible double width keys on the board are split in two.

Will come back with more musings as i keep typing on this badboy - and its already getting easier, over the course of about an hour. Speeding up past half my normal max speed at least, and now I'm not making mistakes :)