Author Topic: Recommend me a fingertip mouse  (Read 12254 times)

Offline Linkbane

Recommend me a fingertip mouse
« on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:02:13 »
Hey guys, I possibly have some money to spend and I'd like to acquire a mouse with pretty high dpi (at least over 4000), and that fits well with the fingertip grip I use all the time. Right now, I'm using my brother's old Deathadder, which is a nice mouse but so large that my palm almost contacts the back despite quite long fingers. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks!
My budget is about $80 or so tops, if it makes much of a difference. Price less than that doesn't really matter to me much. 
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Skull_Angel

Re: Recommend me a fingertip mouse
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:19:40 »
Normally any mouse that isn't too tall will do for finger-tip grip since it's so adaptive, but be careful of mice that may not be wide enough or even too wide for your hand size. I have slightly under average/meduim sized hands for an adult male, the Kone Pure (I use the optical version) design is about perfect and I'm really enjoying it since the thumb buttons are placed nearly perfectly for me.

edit: my SO uses a M65 and while it does greatly resemble the G9(x), it's much too tall at the palm area for me comfortably use with finger-tip grip.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:24:29 by Skull_Angel »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:09:58 »
Normally any mouse that isn't too tall will do for finger-tip grip since it's so adaptive, but be careful of mice that may not be wide enough or even too wide for your hand size. I have slightly under average/meduim sized hands for an adult male, the Kone Pure (I use the optical version) design is about perfect and I'm really enjoying it since the thumb buttons are placed nearly perfectly for me.

edit: my SO uses a M65 and while it does greatly resemble the G9(x), it's much too tall at the palm area for me comfortably use with finger-tip grip.

Thanks for the advice. I used to use an M95, and it too was too large to use for the fingertip grip and palmed more than I'd like.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:50:09 »
The Zowie FK is a very nice mouse that goes up to 2300 DPI but you can always adjust the Windows mouse slider for higher sensitivity.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:57:03 »
Most smaller mice usually have fairly low dpi optical sensors. Off the top of my head the one with the highest dpi I can think of right now is the Razer Abyssus with 3500. There are probably some that go even higher, but I can't think of any right now.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:23:20 »
Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far. At this point the Zowie is definitely catching my eye, and I may open another couple of other options later. Is it particularly on the small or large side?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 06:01:37 »
At this point the Zowie is definitely catching my eye, and I may open another couple of other options later. Is it particularly on the small or large side?

the zowie fk is a small-to-medium sized mouse. the shape is really nice if you have smaller hands or/and prefer to use a fingertip-/claw style on your mouse. (it's not really suitable for palming.)
the windows multiplier allows x3.5 sensitivity, which is probably enough for you with the 2300 dpi of the zowie fk. increasing the windows multiplier does make you lose some accuracy (pixel skipping), but i doubt that's a concern(?)

not many optical mice go beyond 4000 dpi, the deathadder is one of few exceptions. i'm not familiar with laser mice, but the dpi on these mice can go insanely high.

top of both mice. deathadder is second from left, zowie fk is fifth from left. the zowie fk is only slightly less lengthy, but noticably less widthy.

the zowie fk.
side of the razer deathadder.
here you can tell how big the difference is in height. the hump on the deathadder can get in the way for many.

razer deathadder: 127mm (length) x 70mm (width) x 44mm (height)
zowie fk:             124mm (length) x 55mm (width) x 36mm (height)

the zowie fk feels great to fingertip/claw grip with my medium sized hands. the zowie fk weighs significantly lower (85g as opposed to the 105g of the deathadder) and that low(ish) weight works well with a fingertip/claw grip.
the zowie fk has subltle indents on both sides for slightly better pink- and thumb placement. (this too works well with fingertip/claw gripping.)

but if you are considering the zowie fk, you should look up what people have to say about the coating (i don't mean the bad batches where the coating actually came off). sweaty/greasy hands (as opposed to dry hands) can cause gripping issues on the zowie fk. this is actually the reason i switched to another mouse (sadface).
i suggest you read up on some review if you're interested. also because, as Skull_Angel pointed out, the mouse might not be wide enough for you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:03:09 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:01:29 »
Most smaller mice usually have fairly low dpi optical sensors. Off the top of my head the one with the highest dpi I can think of right now is the Razer Abyssus with 3500. There are probably some that go even higher, but I can't think of any right now.
The Razer Tiapan is a good fingertip grip mouse and it has 8200 dpi, if high dpi is your requirement.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:49:42 »
Hey Bucake, thanks for the awesome post. That picture is actually really helpful; my palm is normal-sized or a bit on the small side, but I have nice long fingers which definitely goes well with fingertip gripping. ;D

How you describe it seems really nice, actually. Besides the pixel skipping (could I just max out dpi and slightly lower the sensitivity so it doesn't happen?), my hand doesn't sweat much if at all, and the gripping help seems like it'd be great. I'm going to see if it's available at any stores near me to try it out, thanks!

MJ45, the high dpi wasn't much of a requirement, just a nice touch. I know that I liked the accuracy of the M95 a lot, just not its shape; I'll also look at the Taipan, which should be in stores.  :)

EDIT: Taking a look around, what're you guys' opinion on the Kana v2?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:56:02 by Linkbane »

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:24:37 »
I'd personally try to stay away from optical mice if you plan on gaming where any amount of twitch accuracy is necessary and can't work with 1600~1800 cpi comfortably, higher settings normally start to get increasing levels of jitter and coupling that with >6/11 Windows sensitivity setting could become frustrating.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:35:57 »
I'd personally try to stay away from optical mice if you plan on gaming where any amount of twitch accuracy is necessary and can't work with 1600~1800 cpi comfortably, higher settings normally start to get increasing levels of jitter and coupling that with >6/11 Windows sensitivity setting could become frustrating.

I see. It's not really much of a difference for me between the sensors; I only prefer laser a little because it works on more surfaces. Is it recommended to set the Windows setting as low as possible and turn the dpi up? Does that help with accuracy?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:54:25 »
How you describe it seems really nice, actually. Besides the pixel skipping (could I just max out dpi and slightly lower the sensitivity so it doesn't happen?)

the pixel skipping only happens when you go above the 6/11 notch on the windows multiplier.
but you should also know that the zowie fk does not perform well at the lower dpi settings.
2300 is the 'native dpi' of the zowie fk and the lower settings bring jitter to your cursor movement. i always used the 450 dpi in windows and then just upped to 2300 (and used a low in-game sensitivity) when i played games.

what're you guys' opinion on the Kana v2?

it sounds like one of the best mice to me, but am hesitant to get one after reading about the firmware (which adds some smoothing to the mouse).
most people will not notice the smoothing, and most of those who do notice will most likely not be bothered by it. but i know i'm 'sensitive' to these kinds of things, so i'm not quite sure if i'll be getting one.
this smoothing is a known 'issue' found in more mice, but it's not discussed alot since most people don't feel the smoothing or just don't care about it.
if you care to know a bit more: this thread sheds some light on it.
it does sound like a great mouse, though. the sensor and (omron) switches are the preference of alot of gamers.
the zowie fk uses huano switches, which are less tactile and feel lighter in general (compared to omron switches). the huano switches were not an issue for me, but (like most) i prefer omrons :j

i'd actually say the opposite. if you play games (competitively) where accuracy is of importance, you will want an optical mouse. you can read it anywhere: laser mice always have acceleration, and optical mice are more accurate if you move your mouse around fast.
i'm not saying i'd tell people to not get a laser mouse, but an optical mouse is just a safer bet if you need accuracy.
also; jitter tends to happen on interpolated settings, not 'higher' settings per se. for example the 450 and 1150 settings on the zowie fk are interpolated and are quite jittery. the amount of jitter experienced really differs per mouse, though. i know little about the technicalities, but i guess it has to do with (bad) coding(?)

Is it recommended to set the Windows setting as low as possible and turn the dpi up? Does that help with accuracy?

6/11 is the most reliable (it is the only perfect setting). i read that going as low as 3 is supposed to be okay as well, but i'd suggest to just google around a bit on the consequences of lowering/increasing the multiplier.
and, as i mentioned, for reliable accuracy you will want to use a native dpi step. you will be able to google the native dpi step of most mice.

i am pretty sure, though, that alot of stuff 'accuracy' stuff should only be taken seriously if you want sharp accuracy in games or some kind of designing program (photoshop, maya, etc).. or if you just hate crappy mouse response :j
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 13:18:59 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 13:18:26 »
Excellent, excellent. Although smoothing could be a problem, I'd like to use the mouse a little first before making my judgments. I think that I've used mice with smoothing before, and it hasn't been much of a problem, but the price seems good as well as all of the other factors. And time to stick it on 6/11, thanks for the advice.

Luckily as LoL isn't particularly snappy for the mouse, there shouldn't be issues if there are some imperfections. There's definitely no way I'll be moving the mouse enough to cause acceleration more than once in a blue moon, so laser/optical won't make much of an effect, although it will be nice to use the optical just to compare and see if it's better than laser.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, I think I'll take a look at some more reviews on the Kana but probably will go for it.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 13:51:00 »
solid review of the kana v2.
he's also made a video review (youtube link is at the top of the thread).
he mentions that he is somewhat of a steelseries fanboy, but his reviews of the kana v2 are good :j
he's reviewed both versions (matte black and glossy white).
he also describes a trick to lower the lift-off distance (if you care to).

he prefers the kana v2 over the zowie fk and you can tell how he grips his mice, so i feel confident his review is all you need to decide :j
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:02:47 by Bucake »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:02:47 »
solid review of the kana v2. he's also made a video review (youtube link is at the top of the thread).
he mentions that he is somewhat of a steelseries fanboy, but his reviews of the kana v2 are good :j
he's reviewed both versions (matte black and glossy white).
he also describes a trick to lower the lift-off distance (if you care to).

he prefers the kana v2 over the zowie fk and you can tell how he grips his mice, so i feel confident his review is all you need to decide :j

Hehe, you managed to make up my mind in one link. Definitely going to be looking for a white v2 around if possible, hopefully new. Can't thank you enough for all the typing and searching you did to help out.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:06:55 »
Definitely going to be looking for a white v2 around if possible, hopefully new. Can't thank you enough for all the typing and searching you did to help out.

i saved all the links and all the information i stumbled upon when i was doing research for myself :D

new (glossy white) Kana v2 for $60 (free international shipping). from a trusted seller on ebay. apparantly it's on sale right now, but costs $70 otherwise.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:16:19 by Bucake »

Offline Johan

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:08:26 »
I got the kana v2 today, I like it a lot, but it might be too big to fingertip, depending on how you shape your hand. I found that the hump made me almost want to palm it, so I ended up holding with a mix of claw and fingertip. From the end of my middle-finger to my wrist my hands measure 19 cm, so around average.
Uh, stuff.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 15:27:05 »
the zowie fk uses huano switches, which are less tactile and feel lighter in general (compared to omron switches). the huano switches were not an issue for me, but (like most) i prefer omrons :j

Exact opposite AFAIK. There _are_ very stiff omrons, but they're rarely used in gaming gear.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 20:13:41 »
I've used what I'm pretty sure were Omrons on the M95 and hated them. Way too stiff and with no travel. I actually prefer the softer side switches on the Deathadder.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 23:48:44 »
Hey Linkbane, since you want to compare mouse sizes I suggest checking out this Google doc: http://tinyurl.com/q9kbfd6

Feel free to add any other mice on there!

I think for fingertip people are mainly using the Zowie FK, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Abyssus (this one has a less good sensor)-- although I think you could take a look at the Mionix Avior 7000, CM Storm Alcor, and Steelseries Mico (small but no side buttons  :( )

Let us know what you decide on!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 02:06:45 »
I agree with everybody here on the Zowie FK. Fantastic mouse!!

Maybe try a G400 too? Flawless mouse also.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 05:51:47 »
G400 isn't really good for fingertip grip though, it's a bit awkwardly shaped for that.
MsYutai: The Mico is by Zowie BTW ;) and it apparently has some sensor errors unfortunately.

But I definitely agree with Kana v2 being a great contender - just hope you have no problem with the LOD! :)

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 15:14:49 »
G400 isn't really good for fingertip grip though, it's a bit awkwardly shaped for that.
MsYutai: The Mico is by Zowie BTW ;) and it apparently has some sensor errors unfortunately.

But I definitely agree with Kana v2 being a great contender - just hope you have no problem with the LOD! :)

ah you're right. I'm more of a claw grip/fingertip hybrid so I think I got confused haha

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 16:46:32 »
Alright, I did decide to go with the Kana v2.  ;D
I saw a classifieds thread with quite a good price on it and with the tape mod done (although as a LoL player, I don't think I ever lift my mouse), and hopefully it'll be in next week!

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 16:55:09 »
I saw a classifieds thread with quite a good price on it and with the tape mod done (although as a LoL player, I don't think I ever lift my mouse), and hopefully it'll be in next week!

Good choice. Let us know how you like it!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 16:59:26 »

Good choice. Let us know how you like it!

Thanks! Will do when it comes in.