Author Topic: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?  (Read 57116 times)

Offline amarshonarbangla

Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:10:51 »
I hear it's build quality. What exactly is wrong with its build quality? Is there anything else that makes it a bad keyboard?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:25:24 »
- Build quality
- Low quality keycaps
- Low quality printing
- Macro-keys (yes, people hate those because when you don't use them, they waste space and you may even hit a macro while trying to press CTRL or SHIFT)
- Overhyped, Razer's marketing and their fanboys even say that it's better than FILCOs and others.
- Razer's fanboy's minds and the fact that many are unable to accept the fact that it's not a good keyboard for the price.
- Cherry MX Blue on a gaming keyboard.
- USB HUB at the right, which means, when you put a USB stick to it, it'll be a bother for your mouse. That's a damn retarded design.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:27:04 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Octane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:34:50 »
IMO Razer products just scream "gimmicky". Their marketing seems to target young kids who are awestruck by flashing lights and fancy fonts. I have never bought a Razer product and don't plan to.

Offline amarshonarbangla

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:38:28 »
What exactly is "low" about their build quality?

Don't they use ABS key caps?

From the reviews I have seen online, no one seemed to complain about gaming with MX Blues. In fact, they loved it.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:44:13 »
I think switch is and always will be preference, I prefer gaming on blues for various reasons but mainly because it feels good man
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline ih8

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:17:30 »
As far as gaming goes the switch preference depends on the game....I used to play sc2 and now only really play LoL. When it comes to other games such as FPS I'd opt for a different switch.

The BW is made by iOne, which isn't favored by the well informed keyboard community due to their quality control. The BW feels cheap by comparison a "good" similarly priced board. The plastic is probably ABS but to me they feel thinner than the ABS used by CM. It felt like a fragile feeling when I typed on my friends.  The casing feels flimsy and is glossed to all hell which contrary to how it looks on the Das, looks like **** on the BW. Their gawdy attempt to GaMeRiZe everything also is a cosmetic turn off in my opinion, particularly that epeen infused logo that is always a focal point.

You're essentially paying a premium for a name, of which is not credible in the keyboard world, and therefore makes no sense

I'm not the biggest fan of back lighting either but if I wanted to get it I would purchase other brands with better known QC.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:20:24 by ih8 »

Offline wetto

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:27:16 »
Glossy finish is a retarded idea, no matter which keyboard. Besides the USBs on the right side, it's the only complaint I have about my Das.

Glossy may look good, until you notice you spend too much time cleaning fingerprints and until it gets scratched.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:29:19 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:33:17 »
Razors products are just crap in general. I own a Razor mouse, mousepad and am currently typing on a Razor keyboard. I payed about $110 for this non-mechanical turd.

The mouse was about $60 so I can except that they weren't making it seem like they went all out but even so. Look at the specs of any Razor product then look at their competitors specs then compare the price if both products. Razor is not a company that cares, they're a company that is here to make serious profit. Having said that, should you blame Razor if you buy their crap? No.

If you are going to drop a bit of cash you need to do your research. There's no point blaming Razor. If there's money to be made at a low price as you've seen in the keyboard market in general then someone is going to do it cheaper. They're not exploiting gamers either because at the end of the day, if you're willing to buy Razor than the specs don't really matter to you anyway. Razor is all about image and if that's all you're looking for in gaming equipment then you won't be unhappy with your purchase.

The reason I love people on Geekhack is because they know what they want. Everyone is so obsessive and invested. People really care here. I've learn that you can't rush into to buying anything you think you'll still care (good or bad) about in the next few years. Funny hat? Go for it! Keyboard you'll be typing and gaming on for some (if not most) of every day for years to come. Research dat ****, YA HEAR!

Offline amarshonarbangla

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:39:29 »
I will never buy a Razer product. Just wanting to know the specifics as to what's bad about them ^_^

Ordered a Ducky Shine II yesterday, my first mechanical keyboard. So excited :D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:39:51 »
Mech boards have more to them than just switches.  There are a lot of parts that go into these wonderful instruments.  One of my friends who ranks in SCII and LOL will get asked where he got his keyboard... it's a FILCO TKL with a custom WASD keycap set.  No special (although we know better) branding or flashy name that makes him a better gamer, but instead actual quality.  Razer's time of just offering what other companies don't offer is over.  They need to pick where they want to sit in the market and stop riding off of brand recognition.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:55:03 »
Razors products are just crap in general. I own a Razor mouse, mousepad and am currently typing on a Razor keyboard. I payed about $110 for this non-mechanical turd.
How can you own 3 of their products and still get the spelling wrong? O.o

Also; most Razer stuff is pretty bad and overpriced, but I don't think they get enough cred for their mice. Most of them look fairly sleek and they're pretty decent for the price. I could go into detail here but I won't, although I speak from personal experience here.
Their DA is even one of the few mice on the market with a "perfect" sensor, if you're into that sort of thing. A lot of the flak they get for the sensors is somewhat over-hyped as the average gamer mostly won't notice it.

However; if you buy anything other than their mice you're boned as their other products are all inferior to their competitors. Can't say all that much about their pads though as the only one I've tried is the Sphex, which I wouldn't recommend, but I've seen the Goliathus get some love and would be interested in having one myself.

Offline wetto

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:13:26 »

Also; most Razer stuff is pretty bad and overpriced, but I don't think they get enough cred for their mice. Most of them look fairly sleek and they're pretty decent for the price. I could go into detail here but I won't, although I speak from personal experience here.
Their DA is even one of the few mice on the market with a "perfect" sensor, if you're into that sort of thing. A lot of the flak they get for the sensors is somewhat over-hyped as the average gamer mostly won't notice it.

However; if you buy anything other than their mice you're boned as their other products are all inferior to their competitors. Can't say all that much about their pads though as the only one I've tried is the Sphex, which I wouldn't recommend, but I've seen the Goliathus get some love and would be interested in having one myself.

And the irony of the thing, is that the Razer Deathadder's "upgrade" according to Razer, which is more expensive than it, has more DPI (which means that it's better, according to their marketing) and has DPI buttons and other stuff, is the Razer Imperator. Then, there's the Wireless mouse based on the Deathadder, Razer Mamba.

Now, we all know both of them are hated by gamers and non-gamers for having one of the worst laser sensors on history of mankind, Philips Twin Eye and are both overpriced pieces of crap.  Kinda ironic, isn't it? The DA is better than most of the other mice, even being cheaper.
My collection:
More

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:31:00 »

And the irony of the thing, is that the Razer Deathadder's "upgrade" according to Razer, which is more expensive than it, has more DPI (which means that it's better, according to their marketing) and has DPI buttons and other stuff, is the Razer Imperator. Then, there's the Wireless mouse based on the Deathadder, Razer Mamba.

Now, we all know both of them are hated by gamers and non-gamers for having one of the worst laser sensors on history of mankind, Philips Twin Eye and are both overpriced pieces of crap.  Kinda ironic, isn't it? The DA is better than most of the other mice, even being cheaper.
True, the Mamba is not worth your money, it is the only mouse I actually regret buying and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Although I can't say the sensor bothers me, I believe the RAT7 also has the same sensor, and the only issue with the sensor so far is that it's over-sensitive to dust. There might be a minute difference, and if there is then I would say it's the worst I've tried so far, but not in any way I've noticed so far. Even so, I would still prefer another sensor and don't approve of the fact that they put the damn thing in almost all of their new mice. Just like the Synapse BS.

The Imperator I've never managed to place in my mental universe of mice, it's like a mouse that's just there.
The DA 2013, on the other hand, has what might be the perfect body for me, as what I can't stand about the DA is the shiny plastic, but they've messed with the sensor, which is.. Idunno, they had all the ingredients for a fantastic mouse and they ballsed it up. I'll probably still get one though >_>

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:38:00 »
Why is Razer hated?
Because they deserve it.

They are 100% gimmick, marketing, and outright lies. Their keyboards are built with the cheapest plastic and keycaps they could possibly find, but they charge ridiculous prices. They outright lie about things like 'gold plated USB makes it better' and so on. Their customer service is worse than nonexistent; go ahead, try and get them to replace something under warranty. Lots of people who will tell you just how worthless that warranty actually is.
It's not that Razer's always been utter crap - I have a Barracuda 3G which is still working perfectly and actually a great mouse. Which is kind of my point here - you couldn't pay me enough to use any of their current mice. The sensors are garbage and the quality is nonexistent. Yes, I want a 12 button mouse when the whole button assembly wobbles right out of the box. That's some serious quality for ya, oh yeah.

Basically, Razer is a marketing company built around the business strategy of fooling customers into becoming fanbois so they keep buying the product based on name alone, even as every last shred of quality is stripped from it.

Oh, and then there's the whole issue with the mandatory spyware installation that they claim is a driver.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:38:55 »
You can always read old threads and looks stuff up on youtybe google etc.

But to put it simply mine broke on me.

I am tired to talk about razer. It is always the smae thing. Some people hate them and others defend them and wonder why people hate them. Everyone is different. If I got a razer for free I woulndt complain but as far as keyboards go there are soooooo many options. Why narrow your options to one brand or lighting color.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:43:16 »
Warped keyboards (the whole thing bows up under the spacebar) & stabilizers thinner than paperclips. 2KRO until the new model came out

They recommend you never remove keycaps, that alone should be enough.

Offline wetto

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:47:25 »
You can always read old threads and looks stuff up on youtybe google etc.

But to put it simply mine broke on me.

I am tired to talk about razer. It is always the smae thing. Some people hate them and others defend them and wonder why people hate them. Everyone is different. If I got a razer for free I woulndt complain but as far as keyboards go there are soooooo many options. Why narrow your options to one brand or lighting color.

Because idiots want to buy an entire set of keyboard/headset/mousepad from the same brand and brag about it putting them on their signature on forums or buy stuff that has the same color as their desktop computer's lights.
My collection:
More

Offline firebt

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:59:46 »
I will never buy a Razer product. Just wanting to know the specifics as to what's bad about them ^_^

Ordered a Ducky Shine II yesterday, my first mechanical keyboard. So excited :D

Awww yea buddy! (typing on one right now :))

On the other hand Razer keyboards are considered bad.  Blues are sometimes bad for game because they don't register double taps fast enough (which is important in Dota and stuff if you wanna auto use some items).  They are just not built that well and all that stuff that Wetto said above is pretty much +1 on that all the way lol.

Razer mouses are chill though.  I really like the Deathadder, I have the 3g version with the supposed better sensor.  I like the fact that you can set the polling rate, acceleration and some other stuff, and it works really well with all my games including Counter Strike.  Plus I don't need crazy buttons and I love the way you can set all the macros for the mouse.  It's not bad, but the keyboard is meh...their headphones are meh too.  I only like Razer's mice and their pads.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:44:16 »
Someone once posted photos of an iOne PCB and another (non-iOne) PCB.  The iOne PCB looked like I made it.  The other one looked professionally made.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wetto

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:53:08 »
Someone once posted photos of an iOne PCB and another (non-iOne) PCB.  The iOne PCB looked like I made it.  The other one looked professionally made.

It wasn't the PCB, but the controller.

Guess which one is Razer Blackwidow's.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:34:07 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:00:38 »
I own couple of Razer's mouses, they are OK in general. I do love Naga and Mamba.
For the keyboard, I have a BWU, it's terrible compare to my Filco. But after adding some o-ring and some PBT keycaps, it's OK to type on.

BTW, I tried 2013 version of BW in store, it actually feels beeter than pervious version.  :) :) But for the price tag, I will still pick up a Filco of Ducky.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 19:59:59 »
I tried to sell my Razer Tournament Edition keyboard on Ebay and i couldn't give that baby away.  :mad:

Offline ShortStock

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:30:23 »
it is a similar case with Beats headphones.  While they are good quality,   the price premium you pay for the brand is not worth it because there are too many other products out there that perform better.  all the "hate" that Razer gets here is due to the fact that the geekhack community knows to look deeper into the product that most consumers will ever care about.  some people just want the most out of their hard earned money.  most people would care less

it is a case of marketing and hype on the products.   there is nothing wrong with doing this.  we do live in a capitalist economy

my sc2 buddy's set up looks like he got sponsored by razer.  mouse, keyboard, mousepad, headset, cable management system, underwear.  its crazy how razer has made a following out of some people

me??  i prefer to game using not so flashy gear.  rosewill mech keyboard and a g9x on a steelseries clothe mousepad.

Offline Malerik

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:54:21 »
I liked the blue switches in the BW Ultimate but I hate that rubberized coating Razer and Logitech use on seemingly everything. Once it starts to go I can't deal with it anymore. Just bought a Ducky DK9008G2 with MX Greens, we will see how that stands up against my current favourite, Unicomp Spacesaver. As for Razer mice, its all the swoopy designs that turn me off personally. I went in for the marketing on the Steelseries Xai, but it has actually turned out to be a real solid performer. No frills just does the job I ask it to.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:11:30 »
it is a case of marketing and hype on the products.   there is nothing wrong with doing this.  we do live in a capitalist economy
Ummm... actually... nevermind.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:28:59 »
The last great mouse they made was the DeathAdder (we'll see how this 2013 model holds up). The Imperator wasn't horrible, but all in all, most of their QC has gone to the sh**ter. There's nothing wrong with branding, and marketing and hype, as long as it holds up. Which it doesn't most of the time in Razer's case.

I'll tell you what was a good mouse: The Diamondback. That thing rocked.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:58:26 »
The last great mouse they made was the DeathAdder (we'll see how this 2013 model holds up). The Imperator wasn't horrible, but all in all, most of their QC has gone to the sh**ter. There's nothing wrong with branding, and marketing and hype, as long as it holds up. Which it doesn't most of the time in Razer's case.

I'll tell you what was a good mouse: The Diamondback. That thing rocked.
I'm guessing the new DA is going to disappoint quite a few people, although I'm loving what they did with the  body; no more shiny plastic crap.
Sadly I wasn't able to get a Diamondback before they disappeared. Almost bought a used Copperhead, but couldn't really justify it at the time.

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 02:36:26 »
I've been using a black widow regular for the past year, and its not horrible but I would not recommend buying one. Dell gave me mine for free so thats how I got it.

The macro keys do get in my way and ruin the ergonomics. I like the blue switches for gaming but the keycaps stink.

I think if I had to buy one, I would go for a board without macro or ten keys.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:38:38 by Ninjerk »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 05:51:35 »
I think if I had to buy one, I would go for a board without macro or ten keys.

^ Welcome to GH. This is generally how it is around here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 06:57:58 »
You can replace the keycaps, but not the macro keys.

And have you tried other switch types for gaming?I like blues for gaming, but I prefer blacks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 07:45:20 »
Let me issue the following statements, all of which are true despite their apparent contradiction:

I love my Razer Black Widow.

I use it every day.

I can’t stand not using it.

It occupies a permanent place on my desk.

The body is always nice and shiny and I like that.

I think Razer keyboards suck.

They are damn fingerprint magnets.

I only want to use Buckling Springs.

I do all my typing on Buckling Springs unless I feel like a change.

When I feel like a change, I take out other keyboards.

My Razer keyboard is not for typing.

I will leave my dear fellow Geekhackers to figure out what I mean. Don’t worry, I’ll provide an answer everyone can accept!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 07:47:50 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 08:05:40 »
While I do own 3 Razer products (Naga Epic, Orbweaver, and mousepad)  I will probably never own a fullsize keyboard from them.  I like my Das with browns to much to give that up except for when I get my Phantom put together.  While I do enjoy the hardware setup on my Orbweaver and Naga, I am not a big fan of their drivers and Synapse requirement.  Although the LED color adjustment is kind of cool but I don't find myself changing it very often.  I only changed it twice.  Once when I replaced my Nostromo with the Orbweaver (stock LEDs green) and once after i changed the LED's to blue.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 08:49:36 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer BlackWidow. I sold it because it was too long. These days I only like the 60% form factor, because it's symmetrical. I also play with a Nostromo on the left, so I want the mouse on the right, exactly where the keypad would be (even the tenkeyless are too long).

I didn't have a problem with the build quality. Design choices? Yes. The macro keys on the left bothered me, not because it had macro keys, but because they were on the left. For me, the furthest key in the upperleft needs to be the Esc key (I often hit the macro key instead).

I've read people around here saying how they love their Vortex Pure. I recently purchased one (typing on it right now) and it's one of the junkiest keyboards I've had the displeasure of typing on. So, I'll take people's opinions on Razer with a chunk of salt.

I recently purchased the OrbWeaver. It's build quality is excellent. I even agree with the Blue switches. But, I'm returning it, because the thumb stick is an abomination. I currently use a Nostromo and I use the dpad for modifier keys: ctrl, alt, shift. The problem with the OrbWeaver is that I can't tell which way I'm pressing. For example, if I think I'm pressing up, I might really be pressing diagonal. So, that's another design decision.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 08:59:02 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer BlackWidow. I sold it because it was too long. These days I only like the 60% form factor, because it's symmetrical. I also play with a Nostromo on the left, so I want the mouse on the right, exactly where the keypad would be (even the tenkeyless are too long).

I didn't have a problem with the build quality. Design choices? Yes. The macro keys on the left bothered me, not because it had macro keys, but because they were on the left. For me, the furthest key in the upperleft needs to be the Esc key (I often hit the macro key instead).

I've read people around here saying how they love their Vortex Pure. I recently purchased one (typing on it right now) and it's one of the junkiest keyboards I've had the displeasure of typing on. So, I'll take people's opinions on Razer with a chunk of salt.

I recently purchased the OrbWeaver. It's build quality is excellent. I even agree with the Blue switches. But, I'm returning it, because the thumb stick is an abomination. I currently use a Nostromo and I use the dpad for modifier keys: ctrl, alt, shift. The problem with the OrbWeaver is that I can't tell which way I'm pressing. For example, if I think I'm pressing up, I might really be pressing diagonal. So, that's another design decision.

I do have to agree with you 110% on the dpad bottoms on the Orbweaver.  I solved this issue by moving some of my kebinds around and just retrained some of my muscle memory.  I think a lot of the issue comes from the dpad on the Nostromo being so forgiving and the one on the Orbweaver  being the exact opposite.  I am starting to get used to it though.  I am forcing myself so I don't have to mod my Nostromo to MX switches.  Plus the Nostromo isn't seen by Synapse so no media key support.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 08:59:11 »
I think there are a number of reasons

-You pay a premium that seems unjustified given the production quality

-They have a lot of features people here generally do not appreciate

-While subjective, I imagine their look and styling are not appealing at all for the keyboard purists

-When it comes to basic functionality, and even the functionality gamers should care about, they are just on par or worse than some of the other available options (ignoring gimmicky features)

-They have very limited switch options, making them only interesting to those who just happen to prefer using that switch
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 09:18:37 »
I do have to agree with you 110% on the dpad bottoms on the Orbweaver.  I solved this issue by moving some of my kebinds around and just retrained some of my muscle memory.  I think a lot of the issue comes from the dpad on the Nostromo being so forgiving and the one on the Orbweaver  being the exact opposite.  I am starting to get used to it though.  I am forcing myself so I don't have to mod my Nostromo to MX switches.  Plus the Nostromo isn't seen by Synapse so no media key support.

Wait, what? I use Synapse with my Nostromo.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 09:30:01 »
- Build quality
- Low quality keycaps
- Low quality printing
- Macro-keys (yes, people hate those because when you don't use them, they waste space and you may even hit a macro while trying to press CTRL or SHIFT)
- Overhyped, Razer's marketing and their fanboys even say that it's better than FILCOs and others.
- Razer's fanboy's minds and the fact that many are unable to accept the fact that it's not a good keyboard for the price.
- Cherry MX Blue on a gaming keyboard.
- USB HUB at the right, which means, when you put a USB stick to it, it'll be a bother for your mouse. That's a damn retarded design.

Nothing wrong with gaming on blues actually.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:04:16 »

Show Image

Which OS?  Mine has never shown up in Win 8.  I also don't think it ever did in 7 either.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:08:42 »
Most people are also irked with Razer's advertising that tells half truths, which the commmunity takes as lies, since many of us know better. Also, Razer's quality is sub-par to many members' high expectations, especially when paying for such an expensive keyboard.

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:13:07 »
I feel as if the blackwidow is like the walmart brand of mechanical keyboards. Not saying that walmart is bad (prices are great!) lol. BUT it seems more like a toy than anything else and childish.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:40:58 »
Which OS?  Mine has never shown up in Win 8.  I also don't think it ever did in 7 either.

So much has happened, in such a short time.

Well, when I posted that screenshot, it was  a screenshot from Windows 8. I didn't have Synapse for the longest time, but I installed it when I tried an OrbWeaver (which I just sent back today), then I noticed that Nostromo shows up in Synapse too.

But Windows 8 Task Manager keeps crashing on me. So I tried to run a fresh Windows 7 install. But then my boot SSD wouldn't show up in my BIOS. And, well, it was the last straw (and secretly I really wanted an Apple keyboard), so

I can now confirm that the Nostromo also shows up in Synapse for Mac. ^_^ And I have a new Apple keyboard.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 21:41:14 »
I bought a Razer Blackwidow about a year and a half ago for a family member. It didn't strike me as cheap on first impression. It actually feels fairly sturdy. I'm not a fan of the glossy coating, though, and yes, the key caps are a bit thin. I'm also not crazy about the placement of the macros or the futuristic font, either. However, the real issue is the price, in my opinion. If you can get your hands on one with a complete set of working switches, it's actually a decent keyboard. The one I bought a year and a half ago sees daily use and is still going strong. My chief complaints aren't really related to the quality of the board.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 21:54:44 »
I got both the Ultimate and the Tournament edition and i liked both of them. Most people who complain about the keyboard i heard complained about the keycaps. They didn't bother me though.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:07:06 »

Show Image

Yay! Commercial spyware!
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:18:39 »
I had to do some pcb trace repair on one after a friend spilled some beer on it. I laughed when I picked it up, as even my Leopold felt higher quality. He only got it because it was on sale cheap, so I let it slide.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:24:43 »
Stabilizers broke on mine.
SmallFry! <3

Offline tns

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:27:05 »
wanted to know how GH feel about their mousepads? it's good right?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:40:58 »
Yeah, but overpriced and tacky looking.
SmallFry! <3

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:15:35 »
My first modern mechanical keyboard was a Blackwidow Ultimate. They were on sale at BestBuy so I ordered one, upon delivery I used it and liked the cherry switches. After using OEM rubber dome keyboards I thought these mechanical keyboards are fantastic, and I could live with the funky font & gaudy glossy case. But after 4 or 5 hours of use it just went stone dead. I returned it and ordered another replacement. When the new one came I used it for a whole day and a half before it failed like the first one did. I brought it back and by then BestBuy had Das Keyboards on sale for $99.99 and ordered one instead of another Razer. At that time I realized Razer keyboards were garbage but mechanical keyboards can be a great thing as long as there not from Razer!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:48:16 »
I think a big part of the hate on Razer is the perception that they are trying to pull off.  GH is not a gaming community.  We are a group of people (a pretty small one at that), that will take the time to research and scrutinize every little part of a keyboard.  Usually the buyer of a Razer keyboard is 10 to 15 years old and buys everything that has a flashy commercial or add.  They don't care that they could have bought a ducky or Filco for the same $$, they only care what their friends will think or that it mysteriously gave their game 10 more fps or doubled their kill to death ratio.  Honestly, @ $55, a Black widow is not a horrible start into mechanical boards (as long as it doesn't break right away  :)))

One nice thing to come out of this though is that for a select few, they noticed the difference in feel from their "gaming " rubber dome and went in search of better quality (ie: they found GH). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2