Author Topic: [IC] A "Gaming" 65% with accessible function keys and dedicated arrow keys  (Read 6387 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
I recently received my copies of the Tactile Zine, and after reading the issue encouraging more creation of American customs, I was inspired to start thinking through some keyboard designs. Some things that kept coming up for me were access to about the first 5ish function keys, that as a former moba player I really missed on a 60%, as well as dedicated arrow keys that were on the left side of the board.
I threw together this design in the hopes of making a setup that would offer pretty much all the portability of a 60%, while also providing dedicated arrows and a series of a couple function keys in an almost more accessible position than they're normally in. To be clear, this design is totally just a starting point, and I'd love to here if people are into the general idea, but most of all I really want feedback.

NEW DESIGN IDEAS COMING SOONhopefully
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:36:37 by trenzafeeds »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

Re: [IC] A 60% with function and dedicated arrows
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:07:05 »
This reminds me of the layout some vintage keyboards have (with F-rows to the left), like before the modern layout of F-rows above the alphas. I want to say it's an XT/Model F layout, but yeah.

Of course this is different though. Kind of reminds me of a 65%, but this is a really different spin on it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:46:55 »
Interesting variation on the KMAC Mini:thumb:  I like it.  Not a fan of the left-handed arrow keys personally, but it's a cool idea.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:53:12 »
Interesting variation on the KMAC Mini:thumb:  I like it.  Not a fan of the left-handed arrow keys personally, but it's a cool idea.
Yeah, I'm a really big fan of the mini, hopefully someday I'll be able to buy one... anyway, the arrow keys are a bit of a work in progress, I mostly wanted something that would be easy while you have a mouse in the other hand.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ika

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 15:24:07 »
There is a Red Scarf version apparently on pre-order that I've reached out to qtan about.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74974.0

65% with FN keys on the left. It's my perfect mini layout. Not to take away from what you're doing here but you have options!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 18:24:03 »
There is a Red Scarf version apparently on pre-order that I've reached out to qtan about.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74974.0

65% with FN keys on the left. It's my perfect mini layout. Not to take away from what you're doing here but you have options!

That's very interesting, I'll have to look into it. I am looking to maybe make something with a slightly smaller footprint than the mini though.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 19:48:22 »
I am not a heavy user of the function keys, so I'm happy to have them hide under the numeric keys. On the other hand, I am an enthusiastic arrow jockey, so I applaud your efforts. Even though I'm not a "F-guy," your layout looks good from both a useful and a historic perspective. I am anxious to see where this thought process leads.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 10:31:19 »
This is not exactly an 60%, it extends too much

You could extend it just a little bit more and build an 60% + arrows + F_keys_to_replace_the_PgUp_Home_block layout, so basically an F-keyless TKL

Of course this is from a right-handed person perspective
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 10:49:58 »

You could extend it just a little bit more and build an 60% + arrows + F_keys_to_replace_the_PgUp_Home_block layout, so basically an F-keyless TKL

The key thing is I want to F keys on the left, so they're accessible with a hand on the mouse. The arrows can go wherever tbh.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 11:07:20 »

The key thing is I want to F keys on the left, so they're accessible with a hand on the mouse. The arrows can go wherever tbh.

I see, in that case, it makes a lot of sense

As a small suggestion, a "Gaming 60%" or "Gaming 65/68%" branding might be better and more appealing/accurate
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:50:56 »

I see, in that case, it makes a lot of sense

As a small suggestion, a "Gaming 60%" or "Gaming 65/68%" branding might be better and more appealing/accurate

Yeah... not really sure GeekHack will be into anything connected to the word "Gaming" to be honest. I sat on your idea for a bit though and I've thought up another design concept, which I'll post soon.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline logomachy

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:50:02 »
Perhaps, "Functional 60%".

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:03:55 »
How about the Gaming Function Row, or G 'n' F'n R for short.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 07:30:39 »
I don't really see much of a market for this. Between the 75% layouts, TKL and the FC660 layout, pretty much all the bases are covered. Moving your hand over to the left to hit your F-keys is too different from where you expect to find them and you lose the touch-indexing of the left edge of the keys for finding your WASD position again. I'm sure you could get used to it, but most people would rather just use a TKL or 75%.

Perhaps a better layout would be something like this (at least I'd prefer this for my gaming and everyday work as well):

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/97396ac51bfa13b070d0

It's compact, but retains Esc, arrows and F keys and even some extra edits. It's easy to reach the F keys and they're easy enough to find since they match the number positions. It also keeps some of the edges handy for touch-indexing.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 07:52:46 »
I don't really see much of a market for this. Between the 75% layouts, TKL and the FC660 layout, pretty much all the bases are covered. Moving your hand over to the left to hit your F-keys is too different from where you expect to find them and you lose the touch-indexing of the left edge of the keys for finding your WASD position again. I'm sure you could get used to it, but most people would rather just use a TKL or 75%.

Perhaps a better layout would be something like this (at least I'd prefer this for my gaming and everyday work as well):

It's compact, but retains Esc, arrows and F keys and even some extra edits. It's easy to reach the F keys and they're easy enough to find since they match the number positions. It also keeps some of the edges handy for touch-indexing.

That gap is pretty ingenious, leaving the arrows gapless is a huge mistake as arrow mis-clicks are pretty costly

As another little insight, a programmable 60% might be used as caps-lock functioning as game-lock, when caps-lock is on, 1 2 3 4 5 could be programmed FN buttons, maybe even F G H J C V etc. this way one finger can always stay on the A to home 3 fingers to WASD

Of course, if you take care of all the parts to build the keyboard and make it a kit, I'm sure no one would care and just get one, it's like a shrinked gaming keyboard, which would probably appeal to some, for others it might be the originality

Moving the F-column away from the keyboard like 0.5u might prevent mis-clicks by the way, if you're going to build this keyboard for yourself, cramming things together is generally a mistake, at least this is from my experience

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:17:47 »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! This has raised a lot of new points I totally didn't think about in design.

Of course, if you take care of all the parts to build the keyboard and make it a kit, I'm sure no one would care and just get one, it's like a shrinked gaming keyboard, which would probably appeal to some, for others it might be the originality

I recognize this, but if I really really wanted that exact design I'd just hand-wire a custom for myself only. In this adventure I'm interested in what the community wants.

This is a nice design, and I may end up incorporating the arrow key spacing like you have here, however overall I'm going for a bit more of a 60% sizing, and this feels more like a 75%.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:53:50 »
Neat idea, personally I'm not a fan of gaps on small keyboards, feels like wasting space. I get that it might be helpful to avoid mis-clicks but I can't see accidentally pressing ctrl as a big deal. Other than that i like the design, especially adding a function row on the left side, keeping WASD as close to the mouse is ideal for gaming :thumb:

If you're interested I've been working on this layout (65%) for a little bit now, it doesn't have a function row but that could easily be added on the left side. Main issue with it is the 6u spacebar, but I'm working on it :p.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:46:54 »
Is it depressing to bump my own interest check?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:19:33 »
Let me bump your IC with a layout of mine:

It's called l33t gaming 60%: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/0992f824f8bdd8bbc66a

Joke aside, I can't press regular arrows or WASD's with my fingers anymore, they lost their crammed pressability, if I were to build a gaming keyboard, this would be it

In my opinion, If it's a gaming keyboard, you might just go ahead and mark it as a gaming keyboard, I have so many typing keyboard that I'm genuinely interested in a gaming keyboard, in case I start gaming one day

You also don't have to stick to regular layouts/keycap sizes thanks to Signature Plastics, you can build a keyboard and get a unique DSA keyset manufactured for your keyboard, it should be relatively affordable even at 20 sets or something

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:34:25 »

It's called l33t gaming 60%: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/0992f824f8bdd8bbc66a

Joke aside, I can't press regular arrows or WASD's with my fingers anymore, they lost their crammed pressability, if I were to build a gaming keyboard, this would be it

In my opinion, If it's a gaming keyboard, you might just go ahead and mark it as a gaming keyboard, I have so many typing keyboard that I'm genuinely interested in a gaming keyboard, in case I start gaming one day

You also don't have to stick to regular layouts/keycap sizes thanks to Signature Plastics, you can build a keyboard and get a unique DSA keyset manufactured for your keyboard, it should be relatively affordable even at 20 sets or something

That's definitely interesting, I like your idea, but I also wish there was a way to keep it compatible with normal sets.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: [IC] A "Gaming" 65% with accessible function keys and dedicated arrow keys
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:37:55 »
In other news, I cracked and called it a gaming board. Also I'll hopefully find some time soon to mess around with more designs based on the feedback I've received.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KHAANNN

Re: [IC] A "Gaming" 65% with accessible function keys and dedicated arrow keys
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:05:57 »
In other news, I cracked and called it a gaming board. Also I'll hopefully find some time soon to mess around with more designs based on the feedback I've received.

:thumb:

By the way, the F key placements make it sculpturally compatible with only DSA/row-3 SA sets out of the box, unless it's intended to use row-1 F's, which would look pretty good too

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:15:10 »

Essentially the layout of the MacBook Pro with a few extra keys on the right. I like.  :thumb:

AKA the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2:p