Author Topic: Has anyone seen some kind of double decker keyboard lift for 2 KBs on the desk?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline ANWN

I know this is kind of a weird question for ergonomics because a KB over KB setup would be the opposite of ergonomic.

My situation is that I run 2 computers during the day - I have a KVM that switches when I double tap the Scroll Lock key, but there is no obvious indicator as to which system I'm on and switching over can be a bit slow if you need to do it frequently.

One system is my personal PC, the other is my work PC and while I'm very mindful, I would hate to send an IM to a business associate that is meant for my brother or a friend.

A little 60 or even a 40% KB mounted slightly above and behind my main TKL keyboard would make it easy to use both systems without the risk of getting confused. I know there is software that lets you seamlessly move between systems, but that's not an option.

I suppose a pair of PokerII keyboards might fit decently - does anyone have an elegant solution for two simultaneous keyboards in a limited area?

You can see my keyboard surface here - I have a lot of width, but only about 12" of depth:

Thanks

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I ran out of space on my desk to put all my video game consoles so I added one of these shelves from Ikea to give myself more vertically.

Perhaps you have room to add one of those shelves as well? It's the little shelf holding my SNES and NES. Not keyboards but the same concept.

Offline ANWN

I appreciate the suggestion, but my desk space is pretty well utilized - I'm mostly looking for a way to dual keyboard in a small area.

This is pre-mechanical so nobody freak out about my G510 :)

Offline hoggy

How about a keyboard roof?  You could get a piece of acrylic bent so it forms a n shape and stands over the lower keyboard  (Elite keyboards have some pictures of something close to what I mean) - basically a small hollow plinth.  One keyboard goes underneath, the other on top.  When you want to use the lower board, you might want to pull it forward, and if you want to use the top board for more than a few seconds, you could place it on the desk in front of the other. 

Gives you easy access, but not great ergonomically.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
What about one of those under the desk keyboard trays? There's gotta be something less expensive than this, but just as an example:

3M Easy Adjust Keyboard Tray - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Keyboard-Adjustable-Platform-Precise/dp/B001B0F1BQ

Easy adjust arm - just tilt platform, adjust and release to lock in place. Adjusts to 2" above mounting surface and 5.5" below mounting surface.

You could have one keyboard on the desk and the other stowed away underneath until you want to use it.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline ANWN

What about one of those under the desk keyboard trays? There's gotta be something less expensive than this, but just as an example:

3M Easy Adjust Keyboard Tray - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Keyboard-Adjustable-Platform-Precise/dp/B001B0F1BQ

Easy adjust arm - just tilt platform, adjust and release to lock in place. Adjusts to 2" above mounting surface and 5.5" below mounting surface.

You could have one keyboard on the desk and the other stowed away underneath until you want to use it.

Thanks for the suggestion - it wouldn't be as immediate as I'm looking for - I want simultaneous access, and my desk already has a 52"x12" articulating keyboard surface as shown in the picture above so this solution wouldn't really be compatible with that.

How about a keyboard roof?  You could get a piece of acrylic bent so it forms a n shape and stands over the lower keyboard  (Elite keyboards have some pictures of something close to what I mean) - basically a small hollow plinth.  One keyboard goes underneath, the other on top.  When you want to use the lower board, you might want to pull it forward, and if you want to use the top board for more than a few seconds, you could place it on the desk in front of the other. 

Gives you easy access, but not great ergonomically.

Thanks - this is basically what I've been thinking of, but I think if it was just folded acrylic, it wouldn't be rigid enough unless it had sides - I guess like your hollow plinth suggestion.

I've been doing some google searches for tablet stands hoping I would get lucky and find something I could repurpose, but no luck yet. I think having it directly above my main keyboard would be too awkward as it would need to be too high - but staggering them like stairsteps would probably work - assuming it all fits and is appropriately rigid, etc.

Edit: It seems that if you google "DJ Laptop Stand", you get something very very close to what I'm thinking of. I might be able to use one of the devices that come up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:53:15 by ANWN »

Offline Zustiur

I have a very similar situation, save that in my case both computers are work computers on different networks. Having to work simultaneity on two keyboards is a real pain. My idea is to get a really light and compact keyboard and sit it on my lap but I haven't picked one yet. It needs to be very thin so that I can still put my legs under the desk.

Don't get me started on the desk itself, I don't think my company even understands what ergonomic means.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
I guess I have a few questions. If you're using a KVM how can you not tell what computer you are on? Are you just using the K and M part of a KVM? If you have dedicated displays for your machines and they are on the same network(or separate networks with routing between) at your house you can use software like Synergy. It allows you to seamlessly move your mouse from one computer screen to another, cross OS as well. I have my laptop and desktop both on my desk and I control them both from the same KB/M using Synergy. It supports carrying your clipboard with it too. As soon as the mouse moves to the other computer, the keyboard does as well. Pretty awesome.

It's a great little piece of software and I've used it on 6+ dual monitor work stations all setup in an array with a single KB/M.

http://synergy-project.org/