Author Topic: Leading Edge DC-2014  (Read 3598 times)

Offline icecoldius

Leading Edge DC-2014
« on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 22:42:53 »
So I bought a Leading Edge DC-2014 and a Tinkerboy XT/AT converter to use with it. The adapter seems to be recognized by Vial, but it doesn't register any key presses. Not sure if the keyboard is faulty or the adapter is faulty or incompatible. I emailed Tinkeyboy, and he said that he tested the adapter was working when he sent it, and that it should work with the DC-2014. I opened up the keyboard to see if there was anything wrong with the 5-pin cable but it looks like it's fine. Anybody got any ideas what I can do to get this keyboard to work?

Offline matt-taco

Re: Leading Edge DC-2014
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 23:24:29 »
The reason for this is that it uses a subset of the XT protocol that utilizes the reset pin. What you want to do, is buy a pro micro and a female 5 pin din connector, and create your own converter. IK have a attached a github link to the firmware and a converter.

https://github.com/mrdotx/zenith-xt-usb/

if you can wait, I am going to make a couple of convertors, but I am waiting for my pro micros from china to come in the mail.

Offline anawilliam850

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 13:16:40 »
It's possible that the issue could be with the keyboard itself, but there are a few things you could try to troubleshoot the problem:

Try the Tinkerboy adapter with a different keyboard to make sure that it's working properly. This will help you determine if the issue is with the adapter or the keyboard.

Make sure that the keyboard's 5-pin DIN connector is clean and free of any debris that might be preventing it from making a solid connection with the adapter. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust or debris that might be inside the connector.

Check the keyboard's cable for any visible signs of damage or wear, such as fraying or kinks in the wire. If the cable is damaged, it could be causing connectivity issues.

Test the keyboard with a different computer to make sure that it's not an issue with the USB port on your current computer.

If none of these troubleshooting steps work, it's possible that the issue could be with the keyboard itself, and you may need to get it repaired or replaced.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 14:59:41 »

the XT protocol that utilizes the reset pin.

This is the FIRST thing that you need to verify with the LE-2014.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 17:09:43 »
It's possible that the issue could be with the keyboard itself, but there are a few things you could try to troubleshoot the problem:

Try the Tinkerboy adapter with a different keyboard to make sure that it's working properly. This will help you determine if the issue is with the adapter or the keyboard.

Make sure that the keyboard's 5-pin DIN connector is clean and free of any debris that might be preventing it from making a solid connection with the adapter. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust or debris that might be inside the connector.

Check the keyboard's cable for any visible signs of damage or wear, such as fraying or kinks in the wire. If the cable is damaged, it could be causing connectivity issues.

Test the keyboard with a different computer to make sure that it's not an issue with the USB port on your current computer.

If none of these troubleshooting steps work, it's possible that the issue could be with the keyboard itself, and you may need to get it repaired or replaced.

No. The issue is that the DC-2014  uses the reset pin, which is somethign that is not supported on commercial soarers convertor.

If you dont believe me, watch the chryosran review or ask anyone else who owns one.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 17:12:59 »
Yeah, I doubt QMK even supports the DC-2014 anyway even if that mass market adapter had the reset pin wired. I use Soarer's firmware with mine, on a Pro Micro. I think TMK should work too.

I believe Orihalcon has sold internal adapters wired up specifically for the DC-2014 but all of that stuff comes and goes.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 17:31:45 »
So, there's that. Look at my github link I posted. I used that to make my adapter for the DC-2014 and my Zenith.

The github shows a pinout for you to make an external adapter.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2023, 17:33:43 by matt-taco »

Offline icecoldius

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 18:55:10 »
First of all, thank you to everybody who responded to my plea for help, I really appreciate the help.

I sent Tinkerboy an email about the reset pin and from what I assume what he wrote, he didn't seem to know about that. He then said he'll do some research and get back to me, so I'll wait and see what he can do for me.

Before buying the converter from him, I did ask if the DC-2014 would work with it and he said it should be compatible.

I was worried as hell because I thought my DC-2014 was actually faulty despite the seller telling me it was working. I unfortunately don't have another AT or XT keyboard to test the converter.

So, there's that. Look at my github link I posted. I used that to make my adapter for the DC-2014 and my Zenith.

The github shows a pinout for you to make an external adapter.

Worst case scenario, I am willing to make an attempt at making my own. Thanks a ton for sharing that github link!

Yeah, I doubt QMK even supports the DC-2014 anyway even if that mass market adapter had the reset pin wired. I use Soarer's firmware with mine, on a Pro Micro. I think TMK should work too.

I believe Orihalcon has sold internal adapters wired up specifically for the DC-2014 but all of that stuff comes and goes.

I think I saw internal adapter for sale on eBay from Orihalcon, might buy it if Tinkerboy can't help me out in some way.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 16:15:23 »
The internal convertor from orihalcon is a soarers converter with a connection to the reset pin.

On the official Soarer's github, https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/Soarer's-Converter, check one of the attachments.

The other attachment is showing you that I have common commercial soarer's converter and the one I built myself that works with it. The commercial one is not wired nor does it have a newer version of the firmware that enables that pin on the 5 pin din connector. I attached a photo for that as well.

If you can wait for me to order another teensy in the mail, I can make you an external adapter so that you cna keep using the original cable. I have like, 6 more din connectors, so  I may make a few more.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2023, 16:21:36 by matt-taco »