Author Topic: Hi from HK  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Tarey

• My cover page
Hi from HK
« on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 03:40:35 »
Hi boys and girls,

Just started this hobby and I am already falling in love.

Like most folks, I have got a lot of time on my hands due to lock-down. Gotten into learning computer programming, cryptocurrency and now mechanical keyboard. If you got any tips or resources in any of those areas, please send me a link/PM and help a man out!

As for the next 6 months, I am planning on designing my own keyboard and a website as a bit of a 2021 personal project of mine. Hope it pans out!

Kind regards,

Tarey

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hi from HK
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:31:10 »
Hi Tarey. Welcome to Geekhack.

What switches have you tried? Which do you like?

If you want to design your own keyboard, you probably want to look at the stickies in the Making Stuff Together! section.

Good luck on your journey.

Offline KermittDaFrog

• Hello there !
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:57:58 »
Hi Tarey ! What programming languages are you going to learn ?
I have recently fallen into this hobby recently ,
Have a nice day  :)

Offline Tarey

• My cover page
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 10:33:50 »
Hi Tarey ! What programming languages are you going to learn ?
I have recently fallen into this hobby recently ,
Have a nice day  :)

Hey buddy, sorry for the belated replay.

I have joined a bootcamp for programming and I am learning HTML/CSS, Javascript, Typescript, PostgreSQL at the moment. I will be learning Python and React/Vue.js at later stage.

Are you self learning?

Offline Tarey

• My cover page
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 10:41:01 »

If you want to design your own keyboard, you probably want to look at the stickies in the Making Stuff Together! section.

Hi there, I have tried Glorious panda switches (linear) and have just finished building my first soldering keyboard from Afternoon Labs (Breeze rev 1)

So far I have really enjoyed it and I am constantly thinking what can be improved from sourcing supply to improving the quality of the keyboard further.

Will have a deep-think about it but overall I love it.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 13:27:44 »

Hi there, I have tried Glorious panda switches (linear) and have just finished building my first soldering keyboard from Afternoon Labs (Breeze rev 1)

So far I have really enjoyed it and I am constantly thinking what can be improved from sourcing supply to improving the quality of the keyboard further.

Will have a deep-think about it but overall I love it.

How are the Glorious Pandas? I'm a clicky guy, so I don't try a lot of the boutique switches. That's an interesting keyboard, though I'm not an ortho guy. I like how it has a dedicated nav cluster on the side.

Offline Tarey

• My cover page
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 09:34:38 »
How are the Glorious Pandas? I'm a clicky guy, so I don't try a lot of the boutique switches. That's an interesting keyboard, though I'm not an ortho guy. I like how it has a dedicated nav cluster on the side.

I like it, it has a very subtle feel to it after lube. It has a soft sound but key press is definitely not soft, it has a definite click. Overall I enjoyed it.

The keyboard is alright, it was more of an experiment for me - thought I would try something wild for my first-build keyboard. It worked without much issue (except for flashing the Atmega32u4 chips, the firmware only flashed from my Macbook rather than my window's PC, that was definitely strange).

I am thinking of trying out the Glorious GMMK Pro next, just keeping an eye on it for now to see how I feel later on and consider if I want to commit or not.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2021, 09:37:03 by Tarey »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 22:34:34 »

I like it, it has a very subtle feel to it after lube. It has a soft sound but key press is definitely not soft, it has a definite click. Overall I enjoyed it.

The keyboard is alright, it was more of an experiment for me - thought I would try something wild for my first-build keyboard. It worked without much issue (except for flashing the Atmega32u4 chips, the firmware only flashed from my Macbook rather than my window's PC, that was definitely strange).

I am thinking of trying out the Glorious GMMK Pro next, just keeping an eye on it for now to see how I feel later on and consider if I want to commit or not.

Those look like great boards. I have been extremely tempted by them myself. I'm a sucker for rotary encoders though.