Author Topic: Buying thinkpads  (Read 14318 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Buying thinkpads
« on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:50:40 »
I want to buy a thinkpad for under $650 to do mostly programming and some casual gaming (basically just Dota and TF2). Right now I'm pretty into the Lenovo Carbon X1, the 2013 edition goes for like $500 on ebay. If anyone else has suggestions/input I'd love to hear.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Buying thinkpads
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:56:05 »
I want to buy a thinkpad for under $650 to do mostly programming and some casual gaming (basically just Dota and TF2). Right now I'm pretty into the Lenovo Carbon X1, the 2013 edition goes for like $500 on ebay. If anyone else has suggestions/input I'd love to hear.

Dell XPS perhaps? Might be too expensive.. I didn't know that the Carbon was relatively cheap.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:58:08 »
Dell XPS perhaps? Might be too expensive.. I didn't know that the Carbon was relatively cheap.

It's not, I'm looking at overstocks on ebay. Hence the 2013 edition. I'll look at the dell. I just really like thinkpads a lot.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:32:30 »
double check if the carbon has dual channel ram.. 

I remember they started turning the x1 carbon with only --single channel--..

Also the ram i think is not user upgradable, not sure which version..

Here's the issue with the "NEW" thinkpads,  they're becoming less and less user-serviceable.. and the bios mods require an external programmer, and desoldering of bios chip..  not even sure if you can even get to it on the x1 carbon..

I'd recommend an Asus, because anything goes on the Asus.. hahahahhahaha.. they don't have the build quality though..

So if you're Definitly getting a thinkpad,  get a high speced one, otherwise, you won't really be able to upgrade anything inside of the new versions..  like wificard/storage ssd/ etc...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:44:42 »

Here's the issue with the "NEW" thinkpads,  they're becoming less and less user-serviceable.. and the bios mods require an external programmer, and desoldering of bios chip..  not even sure if you can even get to it on the x1 carbon..

I'd recommend an Asus, because anything goes on the Asus.. hahahahhahaha.. they don't have the build quality though..

So if you're Definitly getting a thinkpad,  get a high speced one, otherwise, you won't really be able to upgrade anything inside of the new versions..  like wificard/storage ssd/ etc...

That's what is slowly driving me to a custom build.. Macs are increasingly glued, even the high end. Wtf! So if I would buy a new retina MacBook Pro today, I HAVE to order highest gpu, cpu, mem, AND ssd. Ridiculous.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:32:57 »

That's what is slowly driving me to a custom build.. Macs are increasingly glued, even the high end. Wtf! So if I would buy a new retina MacBook Pro today, I HAVE to order highest gpu, cpu, mem, AND ssd. Ridiculous.

what custom build.. hahaha..

Offline Connly33

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:39:55 »

Afew small companies like Puget systems do custom laptops to order that are fully upgradable/ serviceable.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Connly33

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:41:41 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:42:15 »

A little off topic from OP, but what i have done in the past is buy a macbook with 3 year applecare, and sell it after a year or two to upgrade. Often with the extended applecare I can sell it for a minimal loss, barely losing any money over time. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:50:51 »
Of course you really pay for it.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/traverse/pro_15/customize.php

Oh..  well idk if these are to be compared to the modern concept of a laptop.. hahaha..

I think they call these Mobile workstations,  they're pretty heavy... you'd hate to carry them around..

3lbs is around the cutoff for uncomfortable..

Offline Connly33

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:10:07 »

Oh..  well idk if these are to be compared to the modern concept of a laptop.. hahaha..

I think they call these Mobile workstations,  they're pretty heavy... you'd hate to carry them around..

For most things i do i'm fine with my haswell celeron chromebook running linux that's only a couple pounds , but unless i'm walking long distances id be fine with a 5-8 LB laptop.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:11:33 »
I love the old IBM Thinkpads. Lenovo is okay but "they don't make 'em like they used to." Ha. I bought a x200 for $60 and outfitted it with 6GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD. It runs Antergos. I use it mainly for programming. Never really pushed it with any WebGL projects as I'm sure it wouldn't be capable of rendering 60fps at an acceptable rate, but it's great for what I use it for. The Carbon X1 looks sleek and neat. Nice thin profile.  :thumb:

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:12:17 »

For most things i do i'm fine with my haswell celeron chromebook running linux that's only a couple pounds , but unless i'm walking long distances id be fine with a 5-8 LB laptop.

remember that laptop is 7 lbs,  + the power adapter which is another 3 lbs.. hahahahaha..

Offline Connly33

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:18:59 »

remember that laptop is 7 lbs,  + the power adapter which is another 3 lbs.. hahahahaha..

A large power supply would make it a bit unwieldy

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 02:33:43 »
I'm with you on liking Thinkpads. There's just something about them, they're just so functionalist looking it's awesome hah.

I have the W520 portable workstation as I used heaps of CAD software / Rendering stuff and it runs it all pre well :D

Love the idea of getting a Carbon though, would be so much easier to lug around, seriously the W520 is cumbersome (especially the power supply 170W 20V).

But yeah, I think either between the Carbon X1, XPS or the new Razer Blade Stealth (I know, but, I actually really like it, pretty nice for an ultrabook :O) (not around 650 woops)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 02:36:22 by KingRama »
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline senso

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 06:50:14 »

Just to say that those are Clevos and there is a lot of re-sellers, like XMG, Xoptic and others, NBR foruns are the right place to find the best reseller nearest to your location.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:13:41 »

That's the isssue... you cannot really custom-build something like a mbp retina. But I could build my own workstation but that wouldn't help me on the road... Aaaaargh

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:14:32 »

All of a sudden Apple laptops feel cheap and affordable..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:16:37 »

A little off topic from OP, but what i have done in the past is buy a macbook with 3 year applecare, and sell it after a year or two to upgrade. Often with the extended applecare I can sell it for a minimal loss, barely losing any money over time. :)

I usually do the opposite. I try to use my laptop as long as possible up to the point where I can justify that the purchase price of the mac is cheaper over time compared to a laptop that would have failed years ago by now.

I really HATE buying new laptops... you always have to wait and see whether you have dead pixels, fan is ok, batteries are ok, etc. Whether it will last. So I try to do as long with a laptop as I possibly can. I only replace them when screens begin to fail, or the battery, or when they become really REALLY slow.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:17:41 »
I'm with you on liking Thinkpads. There's just something about them, they're just so functionalist looking it's awesome hah.

I have the W520 portable workstation as I used heaps of CAD software / Rendering stuff and it runs it all pre well :D

Love the idea of getting a Carbon though, would be so much easier to lug around, seriously the W520 is cumbersome (especially the power supply 170W 20V).

But yeah, I think either between the Carbon X1, XPS or the new Razer Blade Stealth (I know, but, I actually really like it, pretty nice for an ultrabook :O) (not around 650 woops)

I think Lenovo's are the only laptops with a decent enough keyboard. The rest sucks IMHO, except perhaps for some Dell laptops.. but Dell/HP is EVIL to me.

Offline Altis

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 18:51:08 »

I think Lenovo's are the only laptops with a decent enough keyboard. The rest sucks IMHO, except perhaps for some Dell laptops.. but Dell/HP is EVIL to me.

I love the keyboard on my T450s. It was a large part of why I chose this laptop.

The only thing is that I rarely ever use it since I have a desktop at home and a work laptop. Unfortunate but I should realistically sell it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 20:00:57 »
I love the old IBM Thinkpads. Lenovo is okay but "they don't make 'em like they used to." Ha. I bought a x200 for $60 and outfitted it with 6GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD. It runs Antergos. I use it mainly for programming. Never really pushed it with any WebGL projects as I'm sure it wouldn't be capable of rendering 60fps at an acceptable rate, but it's great for what I use it for. The Carbon X1 looks sleek and neat. Nice thin profile.  :thumb:

yeah the older ibm thinkpads were the best, i have a t60 myself. i think it's worth dealing with old hardware just for the ibm rgb logo alone.

the newer lenovo thinkpads aren't to special, so i wouldn't limit myself to just the series if i was buying new hardware. but hey, that's just me!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 22:10:06 »

yeah the older ibm thinkpads were the best, i have a t60 myself. i think it's worth dealing with old hardware just for the ibm rgb logo alone.

the newer lenovo thinkpads aren't to special, so i wouldn't limit myself to just the series if i was buying new hardware. but hey, that's just me!

I think all the new gear are significantly improved..  the only real downside is that they are no longer user-serviceable..

That doesn't mean the new gears are bad,   it's a shift in market strategy.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:34:43 »
You'd be surprise to see how much better the battery is in the newest vs 2013 edition.

Battery life is definitely a huge consideration when thinking about such a thin laptop such as X1
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:36:16 »
Be careful with the pad you have on the thinkpad, this T440 thinkpad at work got the ****tiest trackpad I ever used on a laptop
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:47:03 »

Yes I think we can all agree that the IBM pads are the best laptops ever created.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:55:44 »
Friend of mine got a thinkpad... that ding is near indestructible. Spilled beer over it.. no problem. Stepped on it accidentally.. no problem. Only the trackpad is not superb, but that's the only thing. Even battery life is decent enough in ubuntu.

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 00:47:36 »

I think all the new gear are significantly improved..  the only real downside is that they are no longer user-serviceable..

are you saying that the build quality has improved more than the older ibm thinkpads, or are you talking about the form factor?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:18:48 »

are you saying that the build quality has improved more than the older ibm thinkpads, or are you talking about the form factor?

Of course build quality has improved..  Magnesium alloy chassis for example....

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:34:51 »
Of course build quality has improved..  Magnesium alloy chassis for example....

it's just so hard for me to imagine improving on these tanks ibm built.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:06:43 »
Not all Thinkpads have magnesium frames, and it's not a new addition.
Build quality on Thinkpads depends greatly on the model, and generation. Some of the first Lenovo branded models were terrible, but the IBM models were not infallible either. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "CPU fan failure", which is grossly misunderstood.

Best advice, for consumer level laptops, if you spend under about $800, Asus will give you the most for the money, just make sure it's an Intel I series.
Consumer laptops are engineered to last through the warranty under mild abuse. They rarely have more metal than an aluminum can, and use lots of flashy plastic to make them look better than they are.

If you want a good laptops, you really want to look at small business/corporate grade laptops as they offer better return on your investment. These are the HP Pro line, Dell XPS, Thinkpad x and T series (NOT Ideapad), etc... Not always spectacular to look at, but are more durable, easier to work on, and they are known to get the job done. These are where you can get cheap parts and good customer service. Beware, these fall like rocks on the second hand market, which is where I prefer to buy them and where they make a ton of sense. Buy a 2 or 3 year old Thinkpad with a low end I3, add an i5 or I7, throw in your SSD and ram and you might have $300 invested. If it breaks, you can replace almost anything on it for $20-$40. You can often get 7 useful years out of one of these if you aren't gaming and can often upgrade them a few times.

The best are executive class laptops, these are the Lenovo Carbon, old Sony Vaio Carbon fiber, Mac, etc..  They are pretty durable and have good looks. These often top $2000, and while they are the best of the bunch, when something goes wrong, they are expensive to fix, and I've found the manufacturers do not bend over to help like you would expect (Apple is the exception, not the norm). Resell on these laptops remains high, but so do parts to keep them running. 5 year old Sony high end laptops can easily retain 50% of their resale value, Macs are even higher.

Keep in mind, on many executive class laptops, they are often single or dual year models, so parts from one generation will not interchange with newer ones. Like on Thinkpads, the batteries can swap between several years, not so on a Sony or Mac. They have a high turnover, less testing, and as a result, are not always as refined as people think. The hinges on the old Macbook Air is a good example (they ripped out). You don't see these problems on Thinkpads because they test like crazy and re-use the same designs over and over again.

I like executive class, I've had several, but for work, I MUCH prefer something I can afford to repair. Last time my Sony was damaged, it was 5 years old and Sony wanted $500 just for the part, labor was another $200. As a whole, the laptop was worth more, but every time it was damaged it was $50 or even hundreds of dollars. I did fix the Sony, I found a replacement used part for $150, but that's still more than I paid for the entire Lenovo.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:48:52 »
IMHO, if you're gonna ding things up..

buy every x220 you guys come across.. hahahahahahhaha

It's the last one you don't need an spi programmer to flash, and all the parts are epic cheap..

Also,, it has cheap ips upgrade, although it's only 1366x768,  which is honestly enough for a 12inch..

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:58:26 »
My x201 is my spirit animal

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 00:56:25 »
I have a 3rd gen "2015" X1 and I like it. Lightweight, excellent battery life (approx 8-9 hours) and a quick charger.

I'd stay away from the 2nd gen due to the weird capacitive function key row and trackpad buttons (I've seen pics of modded T440s that had the physical button part swapped, not sure it can be done on the X1C2). First gen is fine in that regard.

Another, more general consideration: high DPI screens may be a pain to deal with depending on your OS of choice and which specific apps you use.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:27:47 »
I have a 3rd gen "2015" X1 and I like it. Lightweight, excellent battery life (approx 8-9 hours) and a quick charger.

I'd stay away from the 2nd gen due to the weird capacitive function key row and trackpad buttons (I've seen pics of modded T440s that had the physical button part swapped, not sure it can be done on the X1C2). First gen is fine in that regard.

Another, more general consideration: high DPI screens may be a pain to deal with depending on your OS of choice and which specific apps you use.

Do you use Linux on it? If so, how does the battery hold up UNDER LINUX?

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:36:37 »

I'm with you in rocking the x200! Mine is a lenovo branded one though :L It was only £70 and I'm running arch with gnome : P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:43:02 »

I'm with you in rocking the x200! Mine is a lenovo branded one though :L It was only £70 and I'm running arch with gnome : P

x200 is ol'skool ,  but it's honestly clumsy to use these days.

X220 is the best budget one to get these days..

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:57:24 »

Not if you're on a very tight budget its not! I love my little thinkpad! With it's perfectly smooth super-key and blue mouse-nipple!

Offline Altis

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 22:09:19 »
I absolutely love the keyboard on my T450S, and the 1080p IPS light anti-glare screen is very nice.

It's brutal going from that to my Dell work laptop.

Sadly, I've put it up for sale locally this week since I absolutely never use it anymore. I actually never really used it because I have a powerful desktop computer at home and I got a work laptop very shortly after getting it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 05:16:16 »

Not if you're on a very tight budget its not! I love my little thinkpad! With it's perfectly smooth super-key and blue mouse-nipple!

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Cpu score --1556-- (Core2duo p8600, base model)

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Cpu score --3737-- (i5 2540m, base model)

the extra $40 which is (20% increase in cost) buys you 200% the cpu power, and something like 10x the Gpu power as well..

So...... yea....... ..... You can see how x220 is bestest ever..   

-- also, x220 has an LG-brand -ips screen available if you want the upgrade, it's like $60,

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 05:32:10 »

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

the extra $40 which is (20% increase in cost) buys you 200% the cpu power, and something like 10x the Gpu power as well..

-- also, x220 has an LG-brand -ips screen available if you want the upgrade, it's like $60,

Actually for UK it's £70 for x200 and £180 for x220, I did not and still do not have that much money for a laptop!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 05:59:18 »

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Actually for UK it's £70 for x200 and £180 for x220, I did not and still do not have that much money for a laptop!

Ok..   Plane ticket to USA.. $500..   then Cheap Computers 4ever..

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 06:55:03 »

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Show Image

No thanks mate, we have somewhat reasonable gun laws!  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 07:08:59 »

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Show Image

Very few people get shot..

The main concern in America is heart-disease and diabetus..

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 07:22:44 »

So.. 

$60 x200
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

vs

$100 x220
$50 8gb ram
$50 128gb SSD

Show Image

Very few people get shot..

The main concern in America is heart-disease and diabetus..

I know I was kind of joking, I do really dislike guns mind you, (my father has several), also it's the culture I dislike, America does not seem like a great country compared to a lot european contries from what an outsider can tell!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 12:40:12 »

16:10 versus 16:9 screen. Not even a contest.

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 13:34:25 »

16:10 versus 16:9 screen. Not even a contest.

It's all up to what you want! I find 16:10 is better under a lot of circumstances! Not watching stuff and playing games though! Again though the x220 is more money!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:01:10 »
You may consider the thinkpad T430u that is close to the one you like, but has better upgradability.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:18:22 »
The 10 and 20 series are the best bargains. Beyond that the price goes up fast and many feel the 20 had the last good keyboard. Do NOT buy a C2d system, memory is expensive. 

If you are on a budget, look for "for parts or not working". I got a t410 for $40 with the high res screen and Nvidia video upgrade. it had an i5, 2 gigs of ram and a small, oem battery that was nearly perfect. I tossed in an old hard drive and memory and spent $15 on a power adapter. So $55 total investment.

Just be careful buying incomplete systems like that. I look for ones just needing a drive, that they show to booting to bios, and make sure they mention the drive caddy, whether there or not, they should mention it if the drive is not included. If not, expect $5 for a caddy, parts for these are cheap, but if you are going to use an ssd, you can fudge the caddy with cardboard and such, but you still need to make sure it has a drive door. Of course always buy from a respected seller and make sure it's pictures of the one you are buying, not a stock photo and a description of condition. Grade A for one seller can be grade C for another and one scratch on the palmrest is very different than a scratch down the middle of the screen.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 20:00:15 »
Also..

Don't use the Lenovo Dock, unless you have to..   it makes the laptop run hotter..