Author Topic: R4 Zealio Switch/Zeal60RGB/Zealencio Silencing Clips/Transparent Screw-in Stabs!  (Read 304098 times)

Offline kawasaki161

I just got around to trying out my R3 67g Zealios in a keyboard esque (not yet soldered) environment. I realized that some of them sound very similar to my 62g ones, but some do some really strange clicking noise when depressed quickly (they sound normal when depressed veeery slowly). Did anyone experience something like that before? Does anyone know a fix for it? I'll try to fix it tomorrow, but if anyone has an idea it will probably save me a lot of time.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
I just got around to trying out my R3 67g Zealios in a keyboard esque (not yet soldered) environment. I realized that some of them sound very similar to my 62g ones, but some do some really strange clicking noise when depressed quickly (they sound normal when depressed veeery slowly). Did anyone experience something like that before? Does anyone know a fix for it? I'll try to fix it tomorrow, but if anyone has an idea it will probably save me a lot of time.

Try lubing the top and bottom of the spring?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline jennb

78g Zealios, screw-in stabs (can we call them SIS?), and silencers. Your group buys are starting to have a spy appeal. A zillion extra points to you for running the best GBs!
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
I've been sort of inactive for awhile but R4 brought me back! really excited for the 78g!

No Idea For What ground zeal calls his  78g ??  as  78g.
-  Any proper measurement?  If any, Show us please !
-  What's Your Reference?  Is it really 78g ?
-  More than 30% of your R3 switches still have problems with squeaking noise, unstable bottoming with unpleasant noise and wobbling feelings never experienced before with other switches, what's the cause?  Still have QC issues?
-  Does Anyone have similar issues?

As one of your Gateron customers, and as a MX Springs Designer, I have to ask the Basic Questions for the People, Nothing personal at all.  As a Chinese saying, 'Bitter advice can be a good medicine'   Thanks!   :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:40:37 by sprit »

Offline kawasaki161

Try lubing the top and bottom of the spring?

It was not pinging it was a clicking sound. But I found out why this occurred and also why no one else had this before.

I compared the switches that made the click and the ones that didn't. Well, when I opened one of the "clicky" ones and pulled the leaf out to look for any major damage the other contact (the one that is stationary) just fell out. Well, it didn't on the non clicking one I opened before, so I grabbed another clicking one, put my finger against the pin on the bottom and voila it did not click anymore. Seems like it is only a problem when they are not soldered in, but it's still not perfect this way, so I hope Zeal will be working on fixing this.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Yes, many of your concerns/issues have been addressed over the Summer when I visited the factory in June. We had a lengthy discussion with the Engineers and various improvements were touched base on and will be implemented for R4.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Neat.

Offline priyadi

Zeal, can you tell me what controller is used with Zeal60 PCB? And what LED controller?

I notice there are 14 breakout pins: 6 are near Tab, 4 between 1 & 2, and 4 between H & J. Any particular reason why they are positioned that way?
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline djchup

• i write code
I decided I want to add some zealencios to my order.  Should I place a new order, or can my original be modified/canceled?

edit: resolved this through email
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 15:34:37 by djchup »

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
Yes, many of your concerns/issues have been addressed over the Summer when I visited the factory in June. We had a lengthy discussion with the Engineers and various improvements were touched base on and will be implemented for R4.

Appreciate Your Answer! it sounds QC issues prevail until R3.
For the unanswered Questions :

-  For What ground you calls your 78g ??  as  78g ?
-  Any proper measurement? Is it really 78g ?

-  What's Your Reference?

As one of your customers, I am curious on these Basic Questions, Nothing personal at all.  Thanks!   :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:00:37 by sprit »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Appreciate Your Answer! it sounds QC issues prevail until R3.
For the unanswered Questions :

-  For What ground you calls your 78g ??  as  78g ?
-  Any proper measurement?  If any, Show us please !
-  What's Your Reference?  Is it really 78g ?

As one of your customers, I am asking the Basic Questions for the People, Nothing personal at all.  Thanks!   :)
lol nice

is it okay if he takes months to reply to your question like you do to your customers? :-*

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
lol nice
is it okay if he takes months to reply to your question like you do to your customers? :-*
Its up to him, None of Your Business.   汪汪!   

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
lol nice
Its up to him, None of Your Business.   汪汪!
but the questions you just asked are none of your business lad, woof woof

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Zeal, can you tell me what controller is used with Zeal60 PCB? And what LED controller?

I notice there are 14 breakout pins: 6 are near Tab, 4 between 1 & 2, and 4 between H & J. Any particular reason why they are positioned that way?

Controller: ATmega32U4
LED Controller: IS31FL3731

As for the breakout pins, they're there because that's where they can fit. Mostly for re-routing USB header for custom DIY cases, RGB LED strips, etc.

Offline ManicMatt1125

Possibly a dumb question, but if I am a fan of the clicky keys, such as MX blue, would I enjoy the linear aspect of Zelios? I believe that these are similar to the clears, browns and blacks, which means no click

I am tempted to try, but alas, I am a clicky key individual..

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
Possibly a dumb question, but if I am a fan of the clicky keys, such as MX blue, would I enjoy the linear aspect of Zelios? I believe that these are similar to the clears, browns and blacks, which means no click

They have a tactile bump just no real clicking sound. Ms brown and clear are the same. Black have no bump at all. So you'll feel the same sort of bump as with blues just quieter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline priyadi

I also prefer clicky keys, but I find they attract too much attention in offices and public places. Right now I'm using gateron blues at home and my work room at the office. But for my travel keyboards (60% & Planck), I'm fitting them with Zealios. I find they are the best unmodded MX compatible switches if blues are out of question.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.

Offline ManicMatt1125

I also prefer clicky keys, but I find they attract too much attention in offices and public places. Right now I'm using gateron blues at home and my work room at the office. But for my travel keyboards (60% & Planck), I'm fitting them with Zealios. I find they are the best unmodded MX compatible switches if blues are out of question.

So I use blues at my work (co-workers learned to deal with my eccentricity) If Blues ARE an option, how would you rate zelios vs them? And which would flavor would you choose?

Offline priyadi

So I use blues at my work (co-workers learned to deal with my eccentricity) If Blues ARE an option, how would you rate zelios vs them? And which would flavor would you choose?

If I had the luxury of your coworkers, I'd use blues TBH. But YMMV, I know a lot of people who prefer Zealios to blues.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
I know a lot of people who prefer Zealios to blues.

yeah... it depends on personal taste, I guess.
I think I should use tactile-only sw at my work but Brown is a NO because I can hardly feel any things.
The zealio sw, like clear sw, has a bigger bump so I would expect it to have similar tactile feel like blue sw.
I definitely join this GB, I also might grab the silencing clips but that depends on my salary this month.

btw, I also prefer clicky switch.

Offline Malenky

67g is supposed to have the most pronounced tactile bump, which is probably what you want to replace the audio feedback of a blue.

Offline nicx

What do you guys think about lubing 67gs? Some reviews said it kinda of loses its bump and doesnt feel as good but in this video they sound amazing.

Offline Malenky

They really don't need lubing at all, but if you are going to do it, I'd say go with the tiniest amount on just the sliders, at least to start with. Test it and see what you think. I feel like 67g loses a lot of its character with lube, especially as soon as you start touching the tactile bump legs themselves.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
I wouldn't lube Zealios. They already have lube so lubing them again makes them mushy.

Offline Kubiedo

Is there a difference between R3 and R4 65g switches?

Thanks!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I wouldn't lube Zealios. They already have lube so lubing them again makes them mushy.

I would disagree with you. Too much lube would make it lose its tactile bump. Properly done, they feel like hot knife through butter.

Is there a difference between R3 and R4 65g switches?

Thanks!

Spring weight didn't change. Only the general mould alterations all around.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

I would disagree with you. Too much lube would make it lose its tactile bump. Properly done, they feel like hot knife through butter.

What mixture of lube and method of application would you recommend?
I had my board built with the switches and, admittedly, the only instruction I provided was "light lubing." Upon return, the switches felt mushy and the feeling of tactility was diminished greatly. I blamed the second coat of lube.

Offline kokokoy

Quick one, what would be closest to the feeling of a 67g on SA be if its on a cherry?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

What mixture of lube and method of application would you recommend?
I had my board built with the switches and, admittedly, the only instruction I provided was "light lubing." Upon return, the switches felt mushy and the feeling of tactility was diminished greatly. I blamed the second coat of lube.

There's no one method suits all when it comes to lubing. You really have to test out which areas you like lubed and build it yourself. I go over the rails, front/back, left/right, legs, pole. Some avoid the legs, etc, etc.

Quick one, what would be closest to the feeling of a 67g on SA be if its on a cherry?

I don't use SA, so I can't help you there. If you like the feel of 67g, then it should work great with all caps.

Offline kokokoy

I don't use SA, so I can't help you there. If you like the feel of 67g, then it should work great with all caps.

I like my 67g but there are just times that I "think" I need something lighter. The thing is I don't use my SA too. Anyway thanks let me just think through it then put an order in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2016, 01:27:56 by kokokoy »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
If I already placed an order for x120 65g switches, is it possible to just add x10 78g switches? Or will I need to add x20 to my order? Thanks!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
If I already placed an order for x120 65g switches, is it possible to just add x10 78g switches? Or will I need to add x20 to my order? Thanks!

Send me an email and I can either cancel your current order so you can re-order, or send you a custom cart link for 10x more. Let me know which one you prefer.

Offline Axiomatik

What do I need to order for 60% standard layout board? I've never assembled a board myself, but if i do it has to be with these Zealios.
-Axiomatik

Offline gameaholic

Any plans for a TKL pcb?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
What do I need to order for 60% standard layout board? I've never assembled a board myself, but if i do it has to be with these Zealios.

61-62 keys depending on ANSI or ISO. A few more if short right shift/hhkb backspace. Generally 65-70 is a good amount for a 60% build, as you're left with extras in case of mistakes/accidents.

Any plans for a TKL pcb?

Or a 96-key?  ;D

TKL high chance, 96key...hard to say.

Offline Axiomatik

How much easier will it be to use the 65g milky switches vs. 78g. I have limited experience in soldering.
-Axiomatik

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
How much easier will it be to use the 65g milky switches vs. 78g. I have limited experience in soldering.

The milky bottom Zealios aren't any more "easier" to solder...just more so that it can take a bit more of a beating than the clear bottom ones.

Offline owacle

I had a browse through this thread but I didn't see what the estimated shipping date will be. Did I just miss it somewhere?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
I had a browse through this thread but I didn't see what the estimated shipping date will be. Did I just miss it somewhere?

Go make an order, shipping will be quoted on checkout.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

yeah, heres whats on the bottom of the GB store page

GB is expected to open until end of September, but may be closed earlier or postponed without notice. Projecting shipping time frame is October-November. As we get closer to the GB closing stages, a more updated shipping date will be provided.

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline evera

managed to snag a pcb! grabbing 80x R4's with lube, stabs, and LEDs for my next 60% build! :)

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains
If I order some Zealios, but also order stuff like LEDs, will the other items ship with the switches? Or am I not allowed to order them together?
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 19:20:10 by depreshun »

Offline gameaholic

Any plans for a TKL pcb?
TKL high chance, 96key...hard to say.

Sweet.  I would just need a TKL WKL Titanium color KMAC style case and I might have my end game keyboard.
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
If I order some Zealios, but also order stuff like LEDs, will the other items ship with the switches? Or am I not allowed to order them together?

For items such as LEDs, etc, those will be shipped with the switches when they're all ready to go out.

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains

For items such as LEDs, etc, those will be shipped with the switches when they're all ready to go out.

Bless. I'll be ordering 100 zealios soon here, love the 67g

Offline kawasaki161

I can now say that I just killed my first Zealio, my "x" button does not always detect anymore when I hit it fast, only took 618k buttonpresses (mainly osu! abuse). Ah well, let's desolder it and see what's up.

Edit:

No idea what was up exactly, but now I've got a new one in and it works again  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2016, 16:05:54 by kawasaki161 »

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
@ZealPC I wasn't paying close enough attention to GH and the PCB sold out before I could snag one.  I'm sorry if this was already addressed, but do you have an ETA of a second batch?  Ordered 100x 78g and a set of those gorgeous stabs!  Thank you, supreme group buy commander!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
$50 Stabs?  :eek:
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
$50 Stabs?  :eek:

The price is justified considering all the work he put into them. New molds, transparent, gold wires and gold screw/nut.