Author Topic: [IC] The Keyboard Coffee Table Picture Book  (Read 107521 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
[IC] The Keyboard Coffee Table Picture Book
« on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 10:04:13 »
So I saw this idea spitballed a few times in a few different threads and there seems to be some genuine interest in making it happen.

What is it?
This would be a small, printed, hardcover book of some of the most gorgeous keyboard pictures you've ever seen.  All pictures would be user submissions from the related keyboarding communities.  Since there seems to be no end to the wonderful pictures of our works of art, I've decided that this project will be in perpetuity and will consist of limited edition runs for a particular edition, such as the 2020 edition or the 2021 edition.

How much will it cost?
This depends on the number of orders that we can get placed.  Quantity will definitely make them cheaper.  I'm thinking they should be around normal book prices $20-$25 usd, but I haven't gotten a quote yet.

How much will shipping be?
Shipping in the US will be UPS Ground daily rates, which are the cheapest UPS ground rates available.  Unless we drop ship each copy from the printing company, then their shipping rates apply.  International shipping hasn't really been figured out yet, but katushkin has offered to be the EU proxy and I think that will yield the best rates unless drop shipping will be cheaper.

How can I order?
As of now, this is the interest thread.  If you are interested in ordering a copy, post with how many you would like and your shipping state/locality/country with zip/pin codes.  This way, we can figure out what the distribution logistics demands will be.  Once the official group buy thread is up, I'll figure out how the ordering process will be.  I think I'll just make it a paypal buy link like how I do for stickers for my forum, but I'm not 100% sure about that yet.

How will payment be handled?
I think the easiest way for payments to be handled is via paypal invoice.  I have a paypal business account for my forum and I can use that to buy the books and then invoice out and get payments prior to shipping/drop shipping.  This way, communications on individual orders will be easy since a paypal shipping update will automatically notify buyers.

What's the timeframe?
Don't know yet.  The first part of the project is obtaining all the media from users that would like their photos included as well as executing the appropriate licenses to allow them to be published in the book.  I think this phase will take the longest time.  The next step will be laying out the design of the book itself.  The third step will be getting payments/sending it off for printing, which I think will actually be the shortest step.  And the final will be the distribution of the final product, which may be included in the previous step if they're drop-shipped.

How do I submit my photos?
Here's the upload link:
http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/upload/T4dgzJ/UL

After uploading, you'll need to execute a license to grant permission for publishing.  I'll put a link to the document here once I finish it.

How can I help?
Here's my strengths--accounting, organizing the overall workflow, negotiating the pricing, US logistics, data storage and submissions, legal
Here's what I need--correspondence help (no one likes a question to go unanswered), book layout and design, photo submissions, EU logistics, any other International logistics, and probably some help in the areas of my strength just to keep the workload manageable.

Help curate the submissions here:
http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/Personal/KB/n-VHpKVP/

I have another question.
Post it below and I'll answer the best I can!

Edits:
More
  • Revised size to not be small based on consensus in thread.
  • Added photo submission information and link
  • Added photo curation link
  • Revised project to be multi-edition
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2019, 18:55:11 by SamirD »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: [IC] The Keyboard Coffee Table Picture Book
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 11:36:15 »
When you say small, what size are you thinking? Because I would think that coffee table books are like, what, 10 or so inches wide, at least? That way we can do some seriously nice high-res shots
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ImAWildDeer

• All about that click clack
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 11:39:44 »
Cool idea, but I agree with @katushkin, I think the book would have to be at least 10 inches wide.
HHKB | Ergodox Infinity | OG Ergodox | Atreus | Planck | WASD V2  | Whitefox | TX1800 | F62

Offline neverused

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 12:47:27 »
I like this, any thoughts on how many pages?

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 12:49:30 »
I like this idea!

I can help with book layout and design when the time comes. I've done a lot of that sort of thing.

As far as the book itself, I'd agree that it needs to be biggish. Especially if it's photo heavy. I know on some sites like BLURB you can do 20 pages starting at 14.99 for a small book and the price goes up depending on size, hardcover or softcover, and amount of pages.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 12:52:32 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 12:58:13 »

It's gotta be like, a couple hundred maybe? I'm sure there are more than that many great boards around on all the forums.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 13:56:31 »
I would pick one up for sure. Have you tried connecting with those making the tactile zines?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 16:37:10 »
Would absolutrly pick up one, would prefer larger hardcover. (Eastern US)
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 20:23:07 »
Definitely interested! I agree, large size and hard cover would be highly preferred.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 20:45:46 »
I don't have any professional experience but I'm fairly comfortable using InDesign and Photoshop and did two years of yearbook club at highschool if any help is needed producing pages. I may also be able to get some contacts for publishing.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 21:07:03 »
Definitely in for one.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 22:42:20 »
This would be a great way to quickly expose friends or family to the hobby. The only advice I may have would be to choose the photos wisely; curate. You don't want to overload it with content.

Sections that document the assembly of a board (like Photek's 360c) might also be a nice inclusion.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:31:50 »
I was initially thinking something smaller as printing costs can go up with size, and I'd like to see more pages as opposed to a folio of just 10 pages, but I do like the idea of a glorious 10x10" picture book.

Here's a link to product samples from the printing company I think we should use:
http://asukabook.com/product_booksamples.html

This gives us an idea on the sizes and number of pages (slides as they call them) available.  I've sent them a request for quantity pricing since their price breaks start at just 10 units and it waives a lot of the setup and other fees.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:09:23 by SamirD »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:36:08 »
I like this idea!

I can help with book layout and design when the time comes. I've done a lot of that sort of thing.

As far as the book itself, I'd agree that it needs to be biggish. Especially if it's photo heavy. I know on some sites like BLURB you can do 20 pages starting at 14.99 for a small book and the price goes up depending on size, hardcover or softcover, and amount of pages.
Awesome!  Asukabook seems to have their own software which is free to download among other design solutions.  Check it out and start playing with it and let us know what you think.
http://asukabook.com/downloads_designtools.html

I have a Blurb book and while that's a very goto publisher for 'entry level' wedding books and such, the quality isn't so great.  Since this will possibly be just a one-time run, I'm thinking these books need to be made to last.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:37:38 »

It's gotta be like, a couple hundred maybe? I'm sure there are more than that many great boards around on all the forums.
The largest number of 'slides' available on Asukabook is 50, which is 50 pages front and back or 100 pages.  I was kinda leaning towards this number as well or the 30 slide version (60 pages), but cost may go up substantially for books of this size.  We'll find out once I hear back from them about pricing.  They're closed until Jan 3rd.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:39:00 »
I would pick one up for sure. Have you tried connecting with those making the tactile zines?
I haven't yet.  I want to see what Asukabook has to offer first before hitting traditional publishers.  If we end up going the route of a traditional publisher, then that changes the printing stage completely and maybe even the design phase a bit depending on if they want to do the design work in-house.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:39:45 »
Would absolutrly pick up one, would prefer larger hardcover. (Eastern US)
Very cool!  Seems like the 10x10 size is what everyone is leaning towards.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:39:57 »
Definitely interested! I agree, large size and hard cover would be highly preferred.
Noted!  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:41:29 »
I don't have any professional experience but I'm fairly comfortable using InDesign and Photoshop and did two years of yearbook club at highschool if any help is needed producing pages. I may also be able to get some contacts for publishing.
Awesome!  Asukabook actually has a plugin for InDesign.  Check it out and see what you think:
http://asukabook.com/downloads_designtools.html

Once I have pricing from Asukabook, let's see what your contacts can do for comparison pricing.  I know Asukabook is going to be a premium, but I'm not sure how much of a premium they are yet.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:07:42 »
This would be a great way to quickly expose friends or family to the hobby. The only advice I may have would be to choose the photos wisely; curate. You don't want to overload it with content.

Sections that document the assembly of a board (like Photek's 360c) might also be a nice inclusion.
Absolutely.  And I think a crowdsourced content and curation process will be one of the longest phases of this project. 

Design isn't my strength, but my idea for design sequence shots (or anything with multiple shots of the same board) was to have a main shot with other select (curated) shots like the 7th slide in this sample book:
http://albumonline.asukabook.com/album/?key=86723a8d16377

Offline Hispes

• ISYMFS
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:02:04 »
I really like this idea.

Even potentially a few pages of other good or great boards that weren't as wow as the others, but still worth a look (like 6-9 pictures per page for 3 or so pages).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:16:50 »
I really like this idea.

Even potentially a few pages of other good or great boards that weren't as wow as the others, but still worth a look (like 6-9 pictures per page for 3 or so pages).
Yep, except I think the problem we're going to have is getting to many awesome pictures of boards that it's going to be tough to decide what doesn't make the cut.  At least that's my hope. :)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:19:53 »
I really like this idea.

Yep, except I think the problem we're going to have is getting to many awesome pictures of boards that it's going to be tough to decide what doesn't make the cut.  At least that's my hope. :)

I think that would definitely be a problem, there is definitely a lot of great boards on here. I really like this idea though, I'm hoping to contribute if my boards are deemed worthy. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:28:28 »
I'd be down for one, hard cover + international shipping  :cool: :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:31:43 »
I really like this idea.

I think that would definitely be a problem, there is definitely a lot of great boards on here. I really like this idea though, I'm hoping to contribute if my boards are deemed worthy. :p
Please do!  Attach them right into this thread and we'll all check them out! 

I think the biggest factor will be the quality of the photography more than just the uniqueness of the board itself, so I believe there's going to be enough variety for everyone.  I was even thinking we should maybe contact manufacturers for some of their 'best' photos as well for inclusion.  Thoughts?

I was thinking about the workflow to get all the images in one place where we could decide on what makes the cut and what doesn't, and I think the easiest solution would be for each submitter to be able to upload their photos directly to a repository (which I already have).  Then we as the community can look at the images and decide what makes the cut and what doesn't.  Thoughts?

I'll be travelling for work from Jan 5th-14th and usually don't have time to breathe during that time so if I disappear for a bit don't be alarmed.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:32:34 »
I'd be down for one, hard cover + international shipping  :cool: :thumb:
Cool!  What country?

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:50:53 »
Where do I sign up? There better be a Vol 2.
There should be a separate book for just artisans.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 01:01:59 »
I really like this idea.

Please do!  Attach them right into this thread and we'll all check them out! 

I think the biggest factor will be the quality of the photography more than just the uniqueness of the board itself, so I believe there's going to be enough variety for everyone.  I was even thinking we should maybe contact manufacturers for some of their 'best' photos as well for inclusion.  Thoughts?

I was thinking about the workflow to get all the images in one place where we could decide on what makes the cut and what doesn't, and I think the easiest solution would be for each submitter to be able to upload their photos directly to a repository (which I already have).  Then we as the community can look at the images and decide what makes the cut and what doesn't.  Thoughts?

I'll be travelling for work from Jan 5th-14th and usually don't have time to breathe during that time so if I disappear for a bit don't be alarmed.  :thumb:

I feel like there's a surplus of quality photos on here to be honest. As for the manufacturers I don't know if I would necessarily like that myself because I imagine this book to be filled with keyboards of variation and creativity rather than a manufacturers board with boring old keycaps and what not.

Yeah if we could probably upload the images to a single source and have an easy voting system on it then I think that would be great.

Here's my favorite shots of my one board, the TGR-Jane. I just took this recently and actually posted them in a couple threads including my build log. I could always break the board down as well and show the shots of the components and what not. These pics are coming from my Flickr, I can also unedit my watermark for the book as well.

TGR-Jane w/Triumph Adler by Steve N, on Flickr

Sorry about the long post, I can always shorten it up if you'd like. :thumb:

Offline jaffers

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 01:23:00 »
Fantastic idea, I'd definitely pick one of these up, will have to break out the DSLR and get setup for some good ones

Perhaps have a voting system for the photos to be put in there? Like have people submit them or suggest people's photos from any thread? How would they be picked?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 07:54:02 »
Fantastic idea, I'd definitely pick one of these up, will have to break out the DSLR and get setup for some good ones

Perhaps have a voting system for the photos to be put in there? Like have people submit them or suggest people's photos from any thread? How would they be picked?
Sweet!  Can't wait to see the submissions.

Since I think the problem we'll be having is trying to pick which ones don't make the cut as opposed to those that do.  And depending what is done for layout and design, we may not have to cut anything at all.
I feel like there's a surplus of quality photos on here to be honest. As for the manufacturers I don't know if I would necessarily like that myself because I imagine this book to be filled with keyboards of variation and creativity rather than a manufacturers board with boring old keycaps and what not.

Yeah if we could probably upload the images to a single source and have an easy voting system on it then I think that would be great.

Here's my favorite shots of my one board, the TGR-Jane. I just took this recently and actually posted them in a couple threads including my build log. I could always break the board down as well and show the shots of the components and what not. These pics are coming from my Flickr, I can also unedit my watermark for the book as well.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry about the long post, I can always shorten it up if you'd like. :thumb:
Sweet shots!  I love the color offset that helps the board pop.  I'm thinking that maybe leaving watermarks might be the best way to help attribute credits.  Or not.  I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

I've set up a submission link where originals can be uploaded and everyone can look at them.  While the originals are uploaded, they are not accessible to discourage unauthorized use.  Display sizes are limited in size.

Here's the upload link:
http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/upload/T4dgzJ/UL

And here's the gallery link for everyone to peruse/help curate:
http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/Personal/KB/n-VHpKVP/
Where do I sign up? There better be a Vol 2.
There should be a separate book for just artisans.
You just did. ;)  At least until the official group buy page is set up.  This will happen after we get the design completed and pricing in place.  I hope there's a volume 2!  An annual book would be awesome. ;)

As far as artisans, that could be a whole book in itself, but then it's more like a catalog as an artisan static.  You can't really mod one.  And I'm sure there will be plenty of great artisan shots as part of the submitted pictures.  There's a favorite of mine that actually has legos in it. :D

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 08:07:28 »
So now that this project seems to have some steam behind it, I think it's time to go big time with it.  And I'm going to need some help with that.

Firstly, I really want this to be a book for the whole keyboarding community--worldwide and Internet-wide.  That means Deskthority, Reddit, and the various Asian forums too.  I have an account for DT, so I can make a similar thread there as I have on here, but I need help getting the word out to the other communities.  I need leaders to spearhead each of the other communities.

Secondly, this book is going to be about content, and it won't just come to us.  So I need the community to find the images they love, and point the owners of them to this project letting them know it would be awesome if they submitted the originals.

That's it so far.  I'm really excited with how this is going.  :thumb:  It's a Monday so I've got my normal work in front of me as well as the work trip coming up, so don't worry if I'm a bit absent.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:37:36 by SamirD »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 08:10:02 »
Very cool idea. :thumb: How do you plan to have section the book based on keysets,  model of keyboard, layout?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 10:15:07 »
Alright well I uploaded the pics to the website, realized after the fact that you can't edit the names so it's just going to be the name my camera gave it when taking the shots. That's alright though since I uploaded the image with watermarks, I think it will actually be better to leave the watermarks to give credit than text on the book page.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:10:56 »
First off I just want to say that this is an AWESOME idea, and I would love to see it come to fruition (even though my photography skills are crap).

I'm thinking that maybe leaving watermarks might be the best way to help attribute credits.  Or not.  I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

I think each page should have it's own unmarked spread with a little column or tag somewhere that has a full description of what we're looking at - as well as the photographer's name (maybe location too!). I suppose it could simply be put under the picture as well, depending on how you wish to format the page.

That way pictures are still accredited, we get the full picture in the book, and a little description of what we're seeing for those that aren't able to identify every component of every keyboard.

I'd be really interested to know how you're going to divide the book up :)

Also, I know most people here won't need it - but I was just thinking about a glossary section! If it is indeed meant to be a coffee table book this could be pretty helpful for your guests that aren't as keyboard savvy as the rest of us.

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:39:40 »
Very cool idea. :thumb: How do you plan to have section the book based on keysets,  model of keyboard, layout?
Dunno.  That's a good question.  What's your thoughts?  I know the layout guys will probably have some really good ideas on how to organize everything.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:46:24 »
Alright well I uploaded the pics to the website, realized after the fact that you can't edit the names so it's just going to be the name my camera gave it when taking the shots. That's alright though since I uploaded the image with watermarks, I think it will actually be better to leave the watermarks to give credit than text on the book page.
Thank you!
First off I just want to say that this is an AWESOME idea, and I would love to see it come to fruition (even though my photography skills are crap).

I'm thinking that maybe leaving watermarks might be the best way to help attribute credits.  Or not.  I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

I think each page should have it's own unmarked spread with a little column or tag somewhere that has a full description of what we're looking at - as well as the photographer's name (maybe location too!). I suppose it could simply be put under the picture as well, depending on how you wish to format the page.

That way pictures are still accredited, we get the full picture in the book, and a little description of what we're seeing for those that aren't able to identify every component of every keyboard.

I'd be really interested to know how you're going to divide the book up :)

Also, I know most people here won't need it - but I was just thinking about a glossary section! If it is indeed meant to be a coffee table book this could be pretty helpful for your guests that aren't as keyboard savvy as the rest of us.
I like the idea of having more than just a credit/watermark with a small blurb of what we're looking at (full tech specs) as well as the owner/photographer and the geographic location.  But this is more of a layout and design issue, which I'm sadly no expert at.  :-X

As far as dividing it up, that's a good question.  While guys who have done layout would know what feels best from that perspective, I'd like to also hear thoughts on what works for us from a reader perspective.

The glossary is kinda a neat idea.  But with all the terminologies we have, wouldn't it become a bit of hairball?

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:55:22 »
I'm not sure what the end result will be for photos selected - but I imagine organizing the book by keyboard size/layout would probably be easiest. That way you get a nice balance of crazy customs in each section as well (as opposed to say, Korean Customs as a standalone section).

Chronological order could be cool as well but something tells me this isn't a "history of keyboards" coffee table book, but rather a nice collection of eye candy.

Yeah the glossary thing was just a random thought I pulled from a coffee table book I already own. We definitely do have a lot of obscure terminology....I doubt it would be very useful.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:06:51 »
Time to buy a new lens for the camera...

My new goal is to take a sexy enough photo to get in that book -.-

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:13:02 »

Dunno.  That's a good question.  What's your thoughts?  I know the layout guys will probably have some really good ideas on how to organize everything.

I'd arrange them by the type of switch they are using: buckling spring, MXs, Alps, Topre, Hall effect… It would be nice to have a short introduction of each of these sections explaining the technology used.

Inside these sections, you could arrange them by size/layout. I personally believe that the pictures shouldn't have a watermark but a description of the picture itself with model, case, keycaps, artisans, and obviously the name of the owner of that board.

I think 50mm are the best for these kind of shots.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:18:43 »

Same, I'd love to get in the book myself. I don't ever know if my pics are ever that good, I'll get a few compliments but not too many.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:38:41 »
I can't recommend www.acilab.com.  My wife works there and has experience in the books department.  They have recently been voted the number one photo lab in the country by the PPA (Professional Photographers Association).  The owners there Mark and Lisa are amazing people. 

Feel free to pm my wife here for more info.  She goes by Alexis's.  Just make sure to include me in the pm as she doesn't check in here very often.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:55:45 »

It's more about the lighting than the lens.  You can get some great bokeh even in macro mode on consumer cameras. ;)
I'd arrange them by the type of switch they are using: buckling spring, MXs, Alps, Topre, Hall effect… It would be nice to have a short introduction of each of these sections explaining the technology used.

Inside these sections, you could arrange them by size/layout. I personally believe that the pictures shouldn't have a watermark but a description of the picture itself with model, case, keycaps, artisans, and obviously the name of the owner of that board.
That makes a lot of sense.  :thumb:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:56:09 »

Once I save enough I want to snag one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL35F18-35mm-Prime-Fixed/dp/B0096W1P5W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451933653&sr=8-5&keywords=sony+nex+lens

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:57:36 »
I can recommend www.acilab.com.  My wife works there and has experience in the books department.  They have recently been voted the number one photo lab in the country by the PPA (Professional Photographers Association).  The owners there Mark and Lisa are amazing people. 

Feel free to pm my wife here for more info.  She goes by Alexis's.  Just make sure to include me in the pm as she doesn't check in here very often.
Fixed it for you?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:00:14 »

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL35F18-35mm-Prime-Fixed/dp/B0096W1P5W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451933653&sr=8-5&keywords=sony+nex+lens
I'm not sure if there's a 50mm 1.2 lens out there for the nex, but that would be my goto.  35mm can feel a bit cramped.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:01:32 »
People still use coffee tables?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:07:38 »
People still use coffee tables?
Why of course when you have a book this nice to put on it!  (Ikea Lack coffee table can be found for $20 when on sale ;))

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:11:30 »
I'll get a few compliments but not too many.

You will once GH snaps out of its artisan cap circle jerk phase.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:15:11 »

I'm not sure if there's a 50mm 1.2 lens out there for the nex, but that would be my goto.  35mm can feel a bit cramped.

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-Mid-Range-Mount-Cameras/dp/B005NX7HY6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1451933653&sr=8-8&keywords=sony+nex+lens

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder