Author Topic: Do you regret buying your HHKB?  (Read 76183 times)

Offline olieatstofu

Re: Do you regret buying your HHKB?
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 10:35:59 »
I recently got a lubed type-s and HATED IT.

Put it back in the box, got out my other cherry clear board and thought something did not feel right.

Got back the HHKB and realised that I was supposed to be a believer in the Church of Topreology!

Fantastic board, need to buy another type s for home now

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:32:10 »
Guys, are really HHKB the de facto of Topre?

Sorry if I sound like a MX peasant but I am still slowly at the researching phase, trying to find my way into the World of Cup Rubber.

The more I read about HHKB in GH, the more I felt like it is being glorified to an extend that it is like one of those cults or some sort.

Is it really that amazing?

On a second note, I think will try to go the 45g route compared to the 55g route as my weakling fingers cant stand that extra 10g of weights.

De facto topre? No. That would be 55g RF. It's just a buttery smooth switch right out the box it's ridiculous.

But, I'm not a fan of tkl. Hhkb size and layout is op.

pls don't call 55g RF buttery smooth cuz its not

I currently own a RF 55g and a RF variable silent. The variable silent IS buttery smooth and I prefer it to the RF 55g.

Offline eohmiller

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:23:20 »
I'm actually a little worried about this too. Same with buckling spring:/ I guess we'll find out. If it feels nice it feels nice.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 02:45:51 »
I'm actually a little worried about this too. Same with buckling spring:/ I guess we'll find out. If it feels nice it feels nice.

And if it doesn't, and you look after it, you can resell it for almost what you paid for it and chalk the difference up to experience.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 03:04:35 »
I don't regret mine one bit. I used to type on a Realforce. Then I found out I could get a tiny board with only 60 keys that would require me to use multi-key combinations for the simplest things. "Wow," I thought, "why have I been saving all this effort?" Now I delight in tying my fingers into knots to do something like moving a cursor.

In fact, I'm so jazzed by this miniaturization trend, I've almost decided to dump my PC and do all of my writing and Internet usage from my phone, which is even smaller and harder to use.

When you think about it, true technological progress has a natural arc: Things get easier and easier; then, for one reason or another, they get harder and harder, until eventually it's almost impossible to do anything. Don't ask me why. It's just a phenomenon of nature.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 04:49:01 »
At first I regretted my purchase, only because I wasn't a fan of the 45g Topre (far too light). However, I fell so in love with the layout (I'm a big Emacs + Unix user) that I swapped in 55g domes from my Realforce. Now I have no regrets. :)

Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a Realforce 87UB with a mixture of 45 and 55g switches, I'm willing to part with it for pretty cheap. :)

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 12:13:39 »
@funderburker
It's beautiful with white printed.
Show Image

poisoned :-[

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Rad

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:26:05 »
At first I regretted my purchase, only because I wasn't a fan of the 45g Topre (far too light). However, I fell so in love with the layout (I'm a big Emacs + Unix user) that I swapped in 55g domes from my Realforce. Now I have no regrets. :)

Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a Realforce 87UB with a mixture of 45 and 55g switches, I'm willing to part with it for pretty cheap. :)
Do you bottom out on 55g? I've read on here that Topre isn't supposed to be a bottom out switch, but it feels impossible to not bottom out by design.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:37:39 »

Do you bottom out on 55g? I've read on here that Topre isn't supposed to be a bottom out switch, but it feels impossible to not bottom out by design.
I always bottom out switches, Topre 55g, Cherry MX Clears or BS.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:53:38 »
As a programmer - the HHKB is completely useless without the F keys. They're used to commence compile, step around the program etc. Though, I'll concede F keys are useless to most web developers who deal with HTML and javascript! Damn, even for using MS Word, F keys are useful!

I know, I know, you can press this key down with one hand and then another key to get F key functionality but changing a one-hand operation to a two-hand operation is bad. The point of a keyboard is to work with you, not against you, so as someone who has used a keyboard without F keys, I'd actually question why you haven't looked to other keyboards!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 16:06:51 by QuincyJones »
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 18:45:10 »
I don't regret mine one bit. I used to type on a Realforce. Then I found out I could get a tiny board with only 60 keys that would require me to use multi-key combinations for the simplest things. "Wow," I thought, "why have I been saving all this effort?" Now I delight in tying my fingers into knots to do something like moving a cursor.

In fact, I'm so jazzed by this miniaturization trend, I've almost decided to dump my PC and do all of my writing and Internet usage from my phone, which is even smaller and harder to use.

When you think about it, true technological progress has a natural arc: Things get easier and easier; then, for one reason or another, they get harder and harder, until eventually it's almost impossible to do anything. Don't ask me why. It's just a phenomenon of nature.

Great!!!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 03:32:54 »
As a programmer - the HHKB is completely useless without the F keys. They're used to commence compile, step around the program etc. Though, I'll concede F keys are useless to most web developers who deal with HTML and javascript! Damn, even for using MS Word, F keys are useful!

I know, I know, you can press this key down with one hand and then another key to get F key functionality but changing a one-hand operation to a two-hand operation is bad. The point of a keyboard is to work with you, not against you, so as someone who has used a keyboard without F keys, I'd actually question why you haven't looked to other keyboards!
Not every user interface requires function keys, and you ought to know that as a programmer.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 12:24:17 »
Nope, love them best work/office board I've ever used. I do wish I could have gotten 55g on it though. I love the heavier switches.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:59:47 »

Not every user interface requires function keys, and you ought to know that as a programmer.

+1 for this statement. Would be a bit uncomfortable to have number row in a second layer though but even if you need the F keys occasionally, it's now that hard to press a two-key combination. I'm using several editors/IDEs & some of them uses F key shortcuts but well, it's not a bit deal & doesn't make my work uncomfortable in any way.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:07:54 »
no. hhkb >
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 23:48:37 »

I don't understand how it couldn't be a bottom-out switch. All the resistance is up-front before the dome collapses.

I bottom out, yes :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:40:30 »

I was thinking about that today actually. I hooked up my HHKB at the office and instantly realized the lack of easy accessible F-keys that I apparently mapped to stuff in vim. Now of course I just remapped everything coz vim, but I can see that being annoying.

Plus.. Hitting F5 to run a program in visual studio and then see it actually run did some positive reinforcement conditioning with me. Every time I hit F5 I think "this gonna be good."

I completely forgot about those keys but Windows apps (like VS and Word) use them a lot.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 19:20:13 »
Only thing i regret about buying my HHKB i will say though that comes to mind is that i do not enjoy collecting Keycaps/other boards as much as i used to (Though i still do just not as much)  Working on 60% #8 soon.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline dante

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 19:52:33 »
Outside of Oracle SQL Developer I spend time in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio; I know in there you can use ALT-X instead of F5 by default if so desired.

Or use your right thumb to hold down FN while hitting 5.

Offline dante

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 20:50:37 »
I don't use the word dope very often ...

But this is totally dope: https://imgur.com/a/HRkRA#6uMGane

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 02:10:14 »
no. hhkb >

The fact that epzy came out of hiding to answer you should tell you all you need to know. The truth is HHKBs are really great and a good many people really like them. Of course they are a little hyped :)  I have two and don't regret buying either, the layout takes a little getting used to but it really isn't so bad and doesn't take too long. As many have said if you are this far along you should probably get one and try it out, if you really unhappy you could always sell it. From that point of view I would get the bluetooth one, it's new many people want it and if you don't like it, it will sell really easily.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 01:26:38 »

This really depends on what sort of programmer you are. Are you on Unix-y system? Probably don't need to touch an f-key until the day you die. Visual Studio? I can't imagine not having my f-keys.

IMO the HHKB layout is the perfect layout for good ol' fashioned unix hacking and emacs editing (which makes sense, Eiiti Wada is a old unix hacker who uses emacs).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 03:40:57 »
I don't use the word dope very often ...

But this is totally dope: https://imgur.com/a/HRkRA#6uMGane

The most colourful HHKB I've ever seen, although it does have a defective space bar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline yuppie

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 01:57:59 »
I've been thinking about getting a Type-S, I had a white, printed HHKB for a couple weeks but the tilde on the top right, along with the lack of arrows was just too hard to re-learn. Years of muscle memory has me on the arrow keys alot and when I type '~/', i expect that tilde the be on the left.

I'm loving the FC660C layout and have been thinking about building a clueboard with some zealios or something like that, but i love the topre feel still. idk what i'll do, IDK.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 02:33:22 »
Even as a constant F key user I love my HHKB more than most board, probably all boards I own. Next step is Type-s!

Offline s0nia

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 16:44:18 »
I only regret paying so much for it because I didn't know that I'd be going to Japan so soon.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 16:51:24 »
I only regret paying so much for it because I didn't know that I'd be going to Japan so soon.

Ah, yeah this is reasonable.

IF anyone sees my Pro non-2 go for sale it's cause i am funding a type s. Gonna hasu it up too

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 17:43:01 »
No ragrets here. I love my HHKB. I haven't done anything to it so far. for me, this keyboard provides the perfect canvas for artisans.

Offline kosm3

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:38:30 »
No hhkb is the strand of a downfull life :-*

Offline Dyaems

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:46:42 »
i regretted buying an HHKB... after modding* it. now that it is back to stock, everything is all good  ;D

modding* includes:
- novatouch stems
- lubing  with the incorrect amount of lube then "washing" it to unlube it, use cotton buds they said...
- enjoypbt, gmk/jtk, etc
- i ALMOST painted it good thing that i did not lol

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline iceman2733

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 20:22:27 »
I recently purchased an HHKB Pro 2 and after giving it two weeks it went back.  The switches felt heavy and the USB ports are useless I have over 9 flash drives none would work without showing windows errors of low power.  I tried on USB 2.0 and 3.0 on my MB.  I came from a custom 1upkeyboard ljd61up with gateron red switches.  I just found the switches to be heavy and the USB issues were enough for me.  Considering the price and the quality this keyboard is quite expensive.  I do like the layout but I ended up just making my ljd61up the same minus the custom does have more actual keys.  I think all of this is just a personal preference plain and simple and what works best.  Also the angle of the key caps kind of messed with me fps gaming.  Also forgot the spacebar had quite a squeak to it. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2017, 20:44:39 by iceman2733 »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 03:35:33 »
I love my hhkb type-s. I did however change some things on it that made it more lovable... the biggest being the Hasu Bluetooth controller. That is a must for any hhkb in my opinion.

Now i just need to find a black one :)
-Dana

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 03:47:39 »
I love my hhkb type-s. I did however change some things on it that made it more lovable... the biggest being the Hasu Bluetooth controller. That is a must for any hhkb in my opinion.

If you want a black Pro non-2 then you could help me fund my first Type S  ;D

Offline 9fiftyfive_

• My website
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 12:47:47 »
In a way, yes, I do. I rushed to the endgame without trying anything else out first. It was very hard for me to justify the $230 purchase at the time, given I'd never typed on a mechanical keyboard before. I wish that I used that money to try other switches first. I got around to purchasing a Pok3r with MX Blues, and it's safe to say that I much prefer Topre.

I do wish that I considered purchasing the HHKB JP instead of the regular HHKB. I know the regular HHKB has a great layout, however, the JP with the arrow keys seems more preferable to me. Eventually I'll get around to trying one out, but at a loss.

Don't get me wrong, HHKB is the best keyboard I've ever owned or used, however, I think that I got lucky that I liked Topre. That's probably because I spent the last ~7 years typing on an HP 5187.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 18:07:32 »

If you want a black Pro non-2 then you could help me fund my first Type S  ;D

like the v1 with the oldschool logo? I think i need pro2 for the hasu controller but i'll check. I cant live without the bluetooth and TMK.
-Dana

Offline Polymer

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 00:03:29 »
I do wish that I considered purchasing the HHKB JP instead of the regular HHKB. I know the regular HHKB has a great layout, however, the JP with the arrow keys seems more preferable to me.

That seems logical at first....but what seems like a good idea (dedicated arrow keys) ends up being worse in the long run..

Here's what you have to get used to as a trade off..
shifted bottom alpha numerics...they're not in a normal place which means your normal typing needs to adjust to the new layout.
Right shift is in a different spot which takes time to get used to  It is 1.75 (or so) over from where it might normally be which is very significant. 
ISO type return which is ok if you're used to that, not so if you're not.
1U backspace.  You also give up the \ position of the backspace on the US layout...

It just ends up being a bad idea overall...you're better off just getting used to using the arrows on the US layout..after while it is easy..just use your right pinky for fn and it starts making sense. 

Offline Dyaems

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 02:09:42 »
the shifted alphanumeric keys on the bottom row does not bug me at all, or maybe i'm already used to it? was using JIS keyboards waaaay back, Pro JP at home, and a Novatouch at office.

i find the Pro2 hard to use in my office though, specially when dealing with excel sheets. or maybe i am having a hard time hitting the FN key with my right pinky and using its arrow keys

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 04:33:11 »
I do wish that I considered purchasing the HHKB JP instead of the regular HHKB. I know the regular HHKB has a great layout, however, the JP with the arrow keys seems more preferable to me.

That seems logical at first....but what seems like a good idea (dedicated arrow keys) ends up being worse in the long run..

shifted bottom alpha numerics...they're not in a normal place which means your normal typing needs to adjust to the new layout.
Right shift is in a different spot which takes time to get used to  It is 1.75 (or so) over from where it might normally be which is very significant. 
1U backspace.  You also give up the \ position of the backspace on the US layout...

It just ends up being a bad idea overall...you're better off just getting used to using the arrows on the US layout..after while it is easy..just use your right pinky for fn and it starts making sense. 

Can confirm this, better off just getting used to it. It also has the pro of keeping your hands in the typing position which can actually be more efficient once you get used to it.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 06:36:56 »
the shifted alphanumeric keys on the bottom row does not bug me at all, or maybe i'm already used to it? was using JIS keyboards waaaay back, Pro JP at home, and a Novatouch at office.

i find the Pro2 hard to use in my office though, specially when dealing with excel sheets. or maybe i am having a hard time hitting the FN key with my right pinky and using its arrow keys

I'm sure you can get used to it...but to me it seems much more difficult and detrimental to speed...not to mention all of the other things which don't seem like a good idea..

Simply to get some dedicated arrow keys...You DO get used to the diamond arrow configuration on the HHKB but really, if I couldn't stand it I'd go to a 660c which is a good middle ground between TKL and a HHKB..

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:40:06 »

I agree! Before I actually tried the HHKB, people kept urging me to try it but I continually put if off, thinking that I could never get accustomed to the seemingly weird layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys. When I finally got my first HHKB, I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted to the positions of the Backspace and Ctrl keys. At first, using remapping software, I tried various non-default positions for the arrow keys, but I soon found that the default cursor diamond was the best location for me.

Being a keyboard enthusiast, I like to use a variety of keyboards, but since using the HHKB, I remap all others to a HHKB-like layout. This works well on many keyboards, but it usually fails on those in the twilight zone between 60% and TKL -- now I find that squeezing arrow keys into the configuration just gets in the way.

Offline 9fiftyfive_

• My website
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 08:46:48 »

I agree! Before I actually tried the HHKB, people kept urging me to try it but I continually put if off, thinking that I could never get accustomed to the seemingly weird layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys. When I finally got my first HHKB, I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted to the positions of the Backspace and Ctrl keys. At first, using remapping software, I tried various non-default positions for the arrow keys, but I soon found that the default cursor diamond was the best location for me.

Being a keyboard enthusiast, I like to use a variety of keyboards, but since using the HHKB, I remap all others to a HHKB-like layout. This works well on many keyboards, but it usually fails on those in the twilight zone between 60% and TKL -- now I find that squeezing arrow keys into the configuration just gets in the way.
Agreed! I find the HHKB layout to make so much sense! Have you tried a JP yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:51:20 »

<snip> ... <snip>

No, I haven't tried the JP variant of the HHKB. The original just makes much more sense to me, and so I have not seen the need to try the JP model.

Although I use my HHKB most of the time, I like to rotate through my collection. For the most part, my favorite form factors are 60%, TKL, and full-size. I've tried various boards that occupy the twilight zone between 60% and TKL, such as the Leopold FC660C. The problem is that these intermediate designs try to squeeze arrow keys into the lower right portion of the board, where they tend to interfere with my preferred placement of the Fn key and modifiers.

Because my favorite layout is HHKB, I can remap non-HHKB boards to something like the HHKB configuration if their form factor is 60%, TKL, or full-size, but this becomes problematic with the in-between boards.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:05:07 »
been using mx blues for a couple weeks... well now I'm typing on my HHKB again and holy smokes it feels so soft and nice to type on. hhkb >
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline 9fiftyfive_

• My website
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 18:11:19 »

<snip> ... <snip>

No, I haven't tried the JP variant of the HHKB. The original just makes much more sense to me, and so I have not seen the need to try the JP model.

Although I use my HHKB most of the time, I like to rotate through my collection. For the most part, my favorite form factors are 60%, TKL, and full-size. I've tried various boards that occupy the twilight zone between 60% and TKL, such as the Leopold FC660C. The problem is that these intermediate designs try to squeeze arrow keys into the lower right portion of the board, where they tend to interfere with my preferred placement of the Fn key and modifiers.

Because my favorite layout is HHKB, I can remap non-HHKB boards to something like the HHKB configuration if their form factor is 60%, TKL, or full-size, but this becomes problematic with the in-between boards.
I might switch to a JP version, just because it may be more beneficial in the long run. I use my keyboard for typing papers and coding, so I think the addition of arrow keys in such a compact board wouldn't be overly necessary. However, the extra keys and improved functionality makes a little more sense. I see potential issues with the JP version because the keys by the "Enter" key aren't supposed to be there on ANSI, so I have no clue what they'd map to. Also, finding keycaps for those mappings may be difficult as well. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Polymer

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 20:25:53 »
I think you're overstating the benefits you get..most people that have tried the JP version get rid of it...although there are some that like it..

Imagine your right shift all the way over to the right hand side...now look where you currently hit your right shift...you're likely really far off...now type like that..it's a pain...

The backspace may or may not be an issue for you but I'd personally hate it...

It puts those keys in spots where it makes no sense to put them given their importance...you said it yourself, you're typing/coding, do you really want to deal with that?

Or better yet...if you need arrow keys why are you trying to make the square peg fit the round hole?  Get a 660c instead...almost as compact but you have dedicated arrow keys...

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 00:30:27 »
Is there any reason to regret buying a stock BT type s as opposed to normal type s and hasu kit?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 00:37:03 »
Is there any reason to regret buying a stock BT type s as opposed to normal type s and hasu kit?

As far as I know there isn't a stock HHKB BT type-s only the std. HHKB BT.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 12:16:55 »
After having owned and sold two HHKB's pro 2's I definitely do not regret the experience and they are really nice boards.  That being said however in the long run I discovered I truly just prefer Cherry MX or Cherry style switches.  The HHKB really was a nice keyboard and the feeling of Cup Rubber was nice and all but in the long run it just didn't feel very "mechanical", it was insanely comfortable and unique but I ended up missing that true mechanical feel so these days I stick to Matias clicky,Outemu Blacks and MX Browns which was my favorite switch when I started getting into the hobby to begin with (Talk about going full circle).
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 02:51:23 »

Regardless, that giant battery bulge on the factory BT model is a major turnoff for me.
-Dana

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 03:07:04 »

Regardless, that giant battery bulge on the factory BT model is a major turnoff for me.

I don't mind it if it means vastly superior battery life to the Hasu model. If it doesn't, then, well, lol.

So hype to get a type s now.