Author Topic: Filco Leather Palm Rest  (Read 2363 times)

Offline TaNaKa$_

Filco Leather Palm Rest
« on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 11:16:00 »
Hi Guys,

has anyone an alternative leather plam rist as filcos? I've bought this on

74850-0

At first time the palm rist has a very strong chemical smell. After a couple of days the the rist doesn't smell better. For me a no go!

I found an other palm rist from Elite Keyboards https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,palm_rests&pid=hm_prlb. Has anyone this think and smells it like filcos? Or has anyone an good idea? The palm rest must be for fullsize keybaords and the material must be leather.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks for all.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 August 2014, 01:30:20 by TaNaKa$_ »

Offline lolkey

Re: Filco Leather Palm Rest
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:20:32 »
Chemical smell is a fire retardant most likely. It's required by law in a few states for some products. It goes away with a few weeks of use.
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:19:22 »
If you really need to get rid of the smell and require a leather rest, get in touch with Noko.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline osi

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:18:29 »
I have the EK palm wrest. It is genuine leather and smells all natural--no chemical/industrial smells.

Noko's leatherworks would also be a great option as Melvang suggested

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:31:36 »
I have not had the pleasure of being able to try one of Noko's palm rests, but they look fantastic.

I recognize the smell that you have described, and I think many people will know it from other leather products as well. In my experience, that smell fades over time. Though I understand that if you find it revolting, you would rather just RMA and replace it with something else.

Though I would ask Noko about it too. He also treats the leather in a certain way (there is a description of the process on his forum somewhere). I am not sure if it is the same kind of treatment as the Filco has undergone to make it smell that way.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:00:38 »
Noko's leatherworks would also be a great option as Melvang suggested

You want the absolute BEST built palm rest go to Noko.  I did and am looking forward to seeing it built soon, always better to support craftspeople because they put a lot more effort into building something for you, compared to cheap-arse corporations.

Offline TaNaKa$_

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 01:35:33 »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions  :thumb:

I've ordered the wrest from Elitekeyboard for a few days and I'm very excited about it.

But the palm wrests from Noko looks very awesome  :p I think i'll order a wrest from Noko too when it is available.
I'll give feedback when the wrest arrived.