Author Topic: Micro usb extension  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Metum7

Micro usb extension
« on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 15:10:26 »
So I've gotten little pcb boards with a female usb on the end(first link) that I'm planning to wire up to a male micro usb(second link) to plug into the pro micro and create a usb extension basically, but unfortunately, the male usb part is out of stock everywhere I have looked, so the alternative I found was to take apart a micro usb cable to salvage the piece. However, I don't really know how to do this effectively, or which pins would go to with which pins on the female usb pcb. Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Adapter-Connector-Converter-pinboard/dp/B07W844N43/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=10Pcs+%2F+20pcs+Mini+Micro+USB+To+DIP+Adapter+5Pins+Female+Connectors+PCB+Converter+Boards+Hot+Sale&link_code=qs&qid=1668200965&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1390

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Micro usb extension
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 15:28:50 »
USB cables usually obey the standard for the wire colours inside so just cut your cable and match the colours in the pic to the labels on the socket adaptor.  IO is used for USB On The Go so you can leave that disconnected if it's an extension.

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Metum7

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 15:31:37 »
Ok thanks!

Offline Metum7

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 15:36:51 »
Actually I just cut my wire open and it only has 2 wires, what does that mean(it is micro usb)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:05:55 »
I guess the cable you used was only for charging not data - only red and black wires?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Metum7

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:10:04 »
Yup!

Offline Metum7

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:18:08 »
There was another cord that I took apart before I asked this question and I ended up with just the actual insert part with no wires attached, pictured below. I guessed that it was similar to the one posted above that was out of stock, but since the pin configuration was different I didn't really want to risk guessing. But now that you posted that picture above, its possible to just solder a few wires to it and then connect it to the adaptor, right?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:18:44 »
What some people will do to save pennies when it comes to cables...

It's far from easy but you can cut the plastic housing off the and solder wires to the plug as if it were a DIY one but you wont have any strain relief, not a major problem if you're putting it inside a keyboard.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Metum7

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:23:50 »
Ok, sorry about not having the picture my phone camera is being weird. Anyway, yeah I don't know yesterday I kinda just got carried away when I was taking apart that cable and when I ended up with something that resembled the DIY ones, I thought it might be possible. Just wanted to see if there was an easier way, which is obviously the case, with the method of just using the wires already in the cable. Since I already have that little usb piece I guess I might as well use it.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 16:28:44 »
Yup, just be sure you put red and black on the right sides - I doubt the Pro Micro has room for reverse voltage protection so if you get that wrong it will fry the chip.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:15:47 »
nice