Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 116362 times)

Offline intelli78

Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 20:15:04 »
Heh, me too. But I can tell you this is the best stock (MX) keyboard I've ever bought. Yes, it's that good. And I'm a Filco guy.

I just read the same comment you made in the EK thread and finally ordered one of my own.  :p I don't need it and I'm lukewarm MX clears, but I really want to check this thing out.

What makes it better than a Filco, in your view?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 20:39:21 »
EVERYTHING

The case and the feel mainly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 21:12:21 »
EVERYTHING

how are the stabilizers? Do they clip the bumpers like they do with ducky? And in pictures, it looks like there is some sort of rubber padding under the right shift key. Does that affect key feel for it? I may seriously consider picking one up, as I have been looking for a keyboard equivalent in build quality to filco, but with cherry stabilizers. This may be it. The only thing I don't particularly like is the design along the side edges... I prefer the generic look.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 22:36:09 by PolaBurrr »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 09:55:14 »
EVERYTHING

how are the stabilizers? Do they clip the bumpers like they do with ducky? And in pictures, it looks like there is some sort of rubber padding under the right shift key. Does that affect key feel for it? I may seriously consider picking one up, as I have been looking for a keyboard equivalent in build quality to filco, but with cherry stabilizers. This may be it. The only thing I don't particularly like is the design along the side edges... I prefer the generic look.

I don't bottom out on mods, so I can't attest to stab quality. It seems pretty good, though.

Right shift feels like a right shift, those rubber pads are probably there for sound dampening.

This board if definitely better than a Filco, so you're good there.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 22:31:44 »
Mechanical Keyboards.Com added a KUL entry; curious to find out if they will carry the brand.

BTW as of this post EK only has 1 KUL MX Clear left.  Crap or get off the pot!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 22:43:37 »
MX Brown FTW!

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 22:44:50 »
Glad I picked mine up then. Great board, feels super solid. Finally got something with clears and cherry stabs. Case looks really nice as it sits in the front IMO. Tired of the rubber coating on the qfr I've been using. This plastic is much better.

For anyone worried that the side of the case looks dumb. Its not bad in person and you really have to pick it up to even notice it.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 22:55:42 »
For anyone worried that the side of the case looks dumb. Its not bad in person and you really have to pick it up to even notice it.

That was one of things that I was kinda iffy about.   I wonder if they plan on making a beige or off-white version?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 22:57:12 »

That was one of things that I was kinda iffy about.   I wonder if they plan on making a beige or off-white version?

Thats a good question I would like one myself. Should have asked Brian yesterday. I was too caught up in all the Topre goodies I got to play with.

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 06:36:38 »
Just a quick addition since I just received my new KÛL ES 87 (with clears). I noticed that there are a couple of differences with my Filco MJ2 Ninja. The keycaps are made from a different plastic. The one on the the KÛL has slightly more texture even after taking into account the few months of wear on my Filco. I'm not entirely sure what other people will think of it but I definitely like it better. (Even though I'm not planning on sticking with the stock keycaps) Also the case has a slightly larger bezel and seems to sit a tiny bit lower than the Filco. (At least at the front without using the feet)

The build quality definitely feels on par (at least) with the Filco. Plus it's available with clears and the MJ2 isn't. :-)

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 07:16:45 »
Just ordered one with Clears. Hope I got in before it went oos if there was indeed only one left!

Offline dante

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 07:41:49 »
Would you guys rate the KUL as higher quality than the Ducky Shine 3?

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 08:21:45 »

Sorry, I haven't ever used a ducky so I wouldn´t be able to tell.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:51:03 »
Yeah, I have never used a Ducky Shine, so I couldn't speak to that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:55:05 »
Just a quick addition since I just received my new KÛL ES 87 (with clears). I noticed that there are a couple of differences with my Filco MJ2 Ninja. The keycaps are made from a different plastic. The one on the the KÛL has slightly more texture even after taking into account the few months of wear on my Filco. I'm not entirely sure what other people will think of it but I definitely like it better. (Even though I'm not planning on sticking with the stock keycaps) Also the case has a slightly larger bezel and seems to sit a tiny bit lower than the Filco. (At least at the front without using the feet)

The build quality definitely feels on par (at least) with the Filco. Plus it's available with clears and the MJ2 isn't. :-)

I like the texture on the stock caps as well. As far as I know they are ABS. I believe Filco puts a thin rubber coating on their keycaps so they feel more slick.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:12:56 »
Yes. I have to agree: the stock keycaps are also the best OEM profile, pad printed ABS keycaps I've ever used, as well. I normally hate stock keycaps, and replace them immediately, but these aren't that bad.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:28:40 »
Based on the teardown, it looks like KUL internals are compatible with Filco. What I would really like to know is if you can swap the cherry stab plate into a Filco and get a filco with clipped cherry stabs (no horrendous rattle!).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:34:33 »
Based on the teardown, it looks like KUL internals are compatible with Filco. What I would really like to know is if you can swap the cherry stab plate into a Filco and get a filco with clipped cherry stabs (no horrendous rattle!).

Maybe just get one of those Universal TKL plates, or one of the upcoming Universal 104/108/TKL plates.

in memoriam

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:54:56 »

Yes. I put the ducky at par with a QFR in terms of build. The only thing is has over my QFR is all the cool backlight modes.

as far as I can tell yes

I don't want to take it apart, though

Offline intelli78

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 23:44:07 »
I took a look at KUL's Facebook page, and found this pic from a while back. KUL rubber dome?  weird meme. :-X

my KUL will be here on Wednesday.

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 June 2014, 23:49:43 by intelli78 »

Offline dante

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 11:17:06 »
looks like EK restocked the clears.  12 in inventory as of this post.

CRAP OR GET OFF THE POT.

Offline Speakeazy

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:47:02 »
We just did an overview of the KUL ES-87 in the Clear, Brown, and Reds on JoanneTechLover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99oF1voPSs&channel=JoanneTechLover

As someone who owns a Keycool 108 with MX Clears, I definitely love the look and feel of the KUL ES-87, especially in the MX-Clear variants. As everyone has said, it is a solid little keyboard that has a premium, no-nonsense approach. Not particularly flashy, but still well built and well-styled.

Even though it has ABS keys, it doesn't feel as shiny cheap as the Ducky 3 Shine that we reviewed. For some reason, I just didn't think the Ducky's key caps impressed me that much (just their light show, haha). The ABS key is not too far off from the POM key caps that are on my Keycool, actually.

Suprisingly, with all the different DIP switches and features on the board, there is no key function or DIP switch for Windows key lock.

Of course, since there is no full-size version of the KUL keyboard, I'm still keeping my Keycool 108 and will probably be using the KUL when I'm on the go.

As for the Topre comparison, I have variable weighted 55g Topre and for some reason, I still like the MX clears better. They feel very different, but I still prefer the MX-Clears over the Topre.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:49:44 by Speakeazy »
Topre RealForce 104U dark grey caps on black | Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Browns | (on the way) Keycool 108-keys keyboard with MX Clears and POM keys

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:55:03 »
just received mine with browns switches. I must say all of the reports of it feeling better than a filco is pretty true. If you take your filco and squeeze the upper and bottom part at the middle, you were hear a little creaking sound and some flex. With the KUL however, there is no flex or sound whatsoever. I'm quite impressed. That, and the dip switches and media keys may make this a more enticing offer than filco for a mid-tier no frills tenkeyless keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:01:37 by PolaBurrr »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:25:44 »
If the KUL were available globally it would totally rock everyone's keyboarding world

KUL ARE YOU LISTENING

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:14:40 »
OP, where are the two internal screws located? Are they in the inner 2 sets of holes on the plate or the outer 2? It is hard to tell from the pictures. I am curious, but don't really want to take mine apart

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:25:18 »
feedback@keyeduplabs.com doesn't work. :(
I want an ISO version..

Offline dante

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:29:13 »
feedback@keyeduplabs.com doesn't work. :(
I want an ISO version..

Try: sales@keyeduplabs.com

I emailed them asking if they would carry MX Black and got a response of a couple months.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:17:12 »
I just accidentally slammed my KUL into my desk while changing keyboards.

The keyboard is fine, my desk now has a gross dent in it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:18:53 »
I really want one because the dip switch functionality sounds as perfect as possible for me without being fully hardware programmable. And the fact that I need a keyboard with a black case :p
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:19:50 »
I really want one because the dip switch functionality sounds as perfect as possible for me without being fully hardware programmable. And the fact that I need a keyboard with a black case :p

DO IT

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:20:18 »

DO IT
No money, spent all on pax trip and TV for man cave
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:21:31 »

DO IT WHEN YOU HAVE MONEY
No money, spent all on pax trip and TV for man cave

THERE

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:46:22 »

DO IT
and TV for man cave
Nice, what you get?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:47:15 »
some 46 inch haier. just need it for chromecast and playing games, got it for 418 including tax which was apparently a deal. friends split the cost to buy it for my place
I love Elzy

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:57:01 »
some 46 inch haier. just need it for chromecast and playing games, got it for 418 including tax which was apparently a deal. friends split the cost to buy it for my place
Sweeet. Always fun buying a new TV.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 23:00:00 »
has anyone handled an fc750r or fc700r and can compare the build quality between that and the KUL?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 23:19:20 »
has anyone handled an fc750r or fc700r and can compare the build quality between that and the KUL?

I owned (briefly) an FC700R, and it wasn't even comparable. To me, my Filcos were better than the FC700R, and the KUL is better than the Filco.

IMO, the FC700R was about on par with my Keycool 87. Maybe slightly better.

in memoriam

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 02:14:07 »
If the KUL were available globally it would totally rock everyone's keyboarding world

KUL ARE YOU LISTENING

I couldn't wait. I got it shipped to the UK for 57 odd dollars worth of shipping plus customs (which I still haven't paid).

Also I got some keycaps from jdcarpe so here's pic (just because):

I was afraid that I would be able to see the LEDs without windowed keycaps but it's alright:

Offline hardlyhappy

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 07:09:29 »
I was just about to buy a Filco Majestouch2 with Reds for my first =P

Now I want this.

One caveat - I'm got 'roos next door. I hope it can get here through them.

Offline dante

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 08:34:15 »

I owned (briefly) an FC700R, and it wasn't even comparable. To me, my Filcos were better than the FC700R, and the KUL is better than the Filco.

I'm looking forward to someone doing a comparison between the KUL and FC750R.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 10:28:00 »

KUL ARE YOU LISTENING

I couldn't wait. I got it shipped to the UK for 57 odd dollars worth of shipping plus customs (which I still haven't paid).

Also I got some keycaps from jdcarpe so here's pic (just because):

Show Image

I was afraid that I would be able to see the LEDs without windowed keycaps but it's alright:

Show Image

That looks really nice with those blanks.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 17:14:24 »

I'm looking forward to someone doing a comparison between the KUL and FC750R.

If I could find an FC750r in the states I'd do one.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 20:15:45 »
does anyone notice that KUL has a softer feeling on bottom out? At least compared to ducky and filco, it feels a little bit softer, and not as defined and clacky. Don't know if I prefer it or not. It definitely makes it sound softer though.

Ok, I think this is because there are no actual screws screwing the plate onto the bottom half of the case, and in a way, the plate and pcb are sandwiched between with the three screws going through the bottom half of the case and into the top (like what leopold did with their fc200). This gives a sort of "looser" feeling of the plate and pcb. Idk if it is just me, but the typing feel has a sort of hollow feel to it (the plate is not secured down, can feel vibrations through it). Not really a fan of this. I think that typing feel still has the edge on filco.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:18:23 by PolaBurrr »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:11:31 »
does anyone notice that KUL has a softer feeling on bottom out? At least compared to ducky and filco, it feels a little bit softer, and not as defined and clacky. Don't know if I prefer it or not. It definitely makes it sound softer though.

Ok, I think this is because there are no actual screws screwing the plate onto the bottom half of the case, and in a way, the plate and pcb are sandwiched between with the three screws going through the bottom half of the case and into the top (like what leopold did with their fc200). This gives a sort of "looser" feeling of the plate and pcb. Idk if it is just me, but the typing feel has a sort of hollow feel to it (the plate is not secured down, can feel vibrations through it). Not really a fan of this. I think that typing feel still has the edge on filco.

I don't think that's the reason. I haven't done enough direct comparisons between a TKL Filco and the KUL 87 to really speak to the difference in feel, and I've also not taken apart my KUL yet.

The reason I don't think that's what is causing the difference you feel is that:
- I don't feel any difference between my TKL Filcos and my 104 Filcos; and
- The 104-key Filco Majestouch-2 PCB/plate assembly is not screwed to the case bottom either

in memoriam

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:35:41 »
I've been using this keyboard as my daily driver for about a week now, and I don't think I'm ever going to move from it (famous last words?).

I thrown on some thick ducky pbt keycaps on it, and I think I enjoy pbt keycaps on clear switches the most. On my cherry brown keyboards, I always found abs plastic caps to have the best sensation.

This thing is solid, and feels great to type on. For the price, if you aren't looking for backlighting, I think this may be one of the best keyboards you can buy in the US.
Poker II

Offline dante

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:40:39 »
My only concern with the clears is pulling stems when swapping keycaps - as it has happened to at least one person on rededit.

I'm a bit disappointed in that the Clear switch has had very limited availability over the last year - I was hoping that the delay was Cherry replacing the molds with less thick stems.  Oh well..

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:43:19 »
My only concern with the clears is pulling stems when swapping keycaps - as it has happened to at least one person on rededit.

I'm a bit disappointed in that the Clear switch has had very limited availability over the last year - I was hoping that the delay was Cherry replacing the molds with less thick stems.  Oh well..

Your concern about pulling stems isn't without warrent. I needed to be pretty careful removing the keycaps. They were very snugly seated on the clear stems.
Poker II

Offline intelli78

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:53:56 »
Wiggle keycaps when you remove them. Helps a ton.

Offline dante

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:58:30 »
Is it possible that the stems are that thick by design?  In other words - meant for POS applications where they do not want the keycaps to be removed easily/flying off?

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:04:49 »

I don't think that's the reason. I haven't done enough direct comparisons between a TKL Filco and the KUL 87 to really speak to the difference in feel, and I've also not taken apart my KUL yet.

The reason I don't think that's what is causing the difference you feel is that:
- I don't feel any difference between my TKL Filcos and my 104 Filcos; and
- The 104-key Filco Majestouch-2 PCB/plate assembly is not screwed to the case bottom either

interesting. But do you indeed feel a difference in bottom out feel between the KUL and tkl filco?