Author Topic: CM Storm/Cooler Master QFR-I (Quickfire Rapid-i) TKL Backlit Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 16667 times)

Offline YuukiHaruto

CM Storm/Cooler Master is pretty much pulling all the stops but they sure took their time to replace the aging QFR. Not a issue as this new gen has many features the original QFR doesn't have  :p

As usual, a simple keycap puller and here is my first complaint ... Right angled microUSB? Who in the world thought that was a good idea? Same issue was on my preview Novatouch too.

Comes with a handy guide on how to set the LED modes after plugging it into your PC. In chinese too but not for this region for sure ;)

The user guide is pretty ... thin and a bit lacking. Not so good

Noticed it yet? This keyboard has macros and built in memory! This is no ordinary backlit keyboard and is also NKRO over USB

Just a word of warning that the very left hander function button doesn't function as a function button. Ironic  :blank:

LEDs on

LEDs off

Shares the same chassis as the Novatouch. :thumb:

Some first impressions.
Key features? Backlit keyboard, NKRO over USB and four sets of macros and pretty good build quality and also a "turbo-mode" in which the keyboard can repeat keystrokes when triggered. As a gamer I find that useful!
Performance : Same for what I felt of the Browns on the Trigger Z. This QFR-I is equipped with browns
Build quality : As with CM upper tier products like this and the MECH and the Trigger Z it is built superbly.
Problems : There are a couple of problems. Right angle USB cable and the questionable pricing in US might lead you to think that it will be very expensive here ....
Or is it?
Nope. The pricing here won't be anywhere near that exorbitant.

So do I like it? I do. I can live with the above problems so let me talk about availability. Right now it isn't available from newegg but it should be with a targeted price of just around where the QFR-S is priced.
But the biggest issue is the choice of only two switches, blues and browns. This is not because of Cooler Master's choices but Cherry's factory inability to keep up production of reds and blacks have sold poorly in SG too :(

It might be of a standard TKL shape but there is no detraction that this is a brilliant brilliant piece of kit!

Also for those wondering ... this was lurking in the background

And here I wrap up my review. Thank me if you like this review :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:21:19 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Same price as QFR?  That would be nice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YuukiHaruto

Same price as QFR?  That would be nice :)
Around. I'm basing it off china pricing  :p

Offline 66klaus

Costar or Cherry Stabilizer? Could you please check?

The old qfr is costar, I think the new one is cherry stab!

For me a problem because I like costar more.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
i posted a deal on this and the reaction was that the ducky 3 tkl white with browns was worth the 30-40 more (based on that deal). I actually prefer the cm's font, but has anyone compared the two directly on build?

Offline YuukiHaruto

Costar stabs.
i posted a deal on this and the reaction was that the ducky 3 tkl white with browns was worth the 30-40 more (based on that deal). I actually prefer the cm's font, but has anyone compared the two directly on build?
Ducky has got no money on this. Ducky has some QC problems and also their build isn't quite as good as CM.

Offline 66klaus

Costar stabs.
Ducky has got no money on this. Ducky has some QC problems and also their build isn't quite as good as CM.

thanks for information! where can i get this one?

Offline YuukiHaruto

Costar stabs.

Depends on where you live.

Offline 66klaus

Costar stabs.

Depends on where you live.

Germany

Offline phoenix1234

Costar stabs.

Thank you for your review  :thumb:.

However, are you sure it is using Costa stabilizers?
It is because when I checked the one in Vietnam, it is using Cherry stabilizers and it is Made in China.
The Rapid-I that I checked similar like this one
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3288906/all

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:04:54 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline ihatefirewalls

According to CM rajface on Reddit it has non-costar (I'm assuming cherry) stabs.

However, despite the cherry stabs according to an answer on Amazon the board itself is still produced by Costar (CST-87-TENKEYLESS).

Can anyone verify that Costar is the OEM?

Offline duzeyao

Costar stabs.

I'm 100% sure CMQFR-I uses cherry stabilizers, not co-star ones.
It's made in China and has different sized case than QFR.
Just curious, did you even pulled the keycaps out to check it for yourself?
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline madik

Hi guys. I have this keyboard and i can confirm that it uses a CHERRY Stabilizers.

I have a quite a big problem with the keyboard. After restarts or resumes from sleep the keyboard doesnt work and I have to unplug USB port and plug it to make it working again. Its quite annoying  :'( Hopefully it will get resolved soon  by firmware update.
Does anyone having this issue?

Offline YuukiHaruto

Hi guys. I have this keyboard and i can confirm that it uses a CHERRY Stabilizers.

I have a quite a big problem with the keyboard. After restarts or resumes from sleep the keyboard doesnt work and I have to unplug USB port and plug it to make it working again. Its quite annoying  :'( Hopefully it will get resolved soon  by firmware update.
Does anyone having this issue?
Sorry. I just realized my memory was flaky. Frankly I prefer the cherry stabs if I had a choice because cherry stabs are easier to put back after removal and it's less wobbly.
Funny enough me too ..

Offline YuukiHaruto

Good news for all QFR-I owners!

Offline madik

This version of FW is out for a long time. I flash it on a day of the keyboard purchase. After few weeks they took the FW downloading page down and reintroduced it on 14.8.2014 (i guess).

But more important is the fact that they are working on a fix for the keyboard's initiation problems that affects lots of people  http://community.coolermaster.com/index.php/topic/11379-cm-storm-rapid-i-doesnt-start-sometimes/page-2#entry111107

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
Great review bro!
It made my new QFR feel ashamed :/

:P
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
Sweet, a backlit QFR!

Resembles an awful lot like my Quickfire TK though, despite the lack of numpad! :p
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline YuukiHaruto

Sweet, a backlit QFR!

Resembles an awful lot like my Quickfire TK though, despite the lack of numpad! :p
They did do lots of tweaks on the "rubber" coating which makes it a hell lot more durable  ;D

Great review bro!
It made my new QFR feel ashamed :/

:P
Just a tiny bit pricier than the QFR. Time for an upgrade I guess?  :p

Offline neverlast74

Question for the QF Rapid-I users: Does anyone have seen or heard of the annoying "ping" sound problem that I found using some Ducky and also some Filco?
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline aref

Question for the QF Rapid-I users: Does anyone have seen or heard of the annoying "ping" sound problem that I found using some Ducky and also some Filco?

+1
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:39:04 by aref »

Offline VivaGardner

• * Destiny Supporter
  • www.gboarding.com
This is a really nice keyboard.  The backlight is pretty brilliant (it has a really nice glow around the keys because the plate is white). 

It doesn't have as many LED modes as the Ducky Shine, but the firmware update also added some pretty cool effects.  In all honesty, some of the Ducky LED effects tend to get pretty distracting when you're typing. 

I also feel that it's built better than the Shine 3.  The chassis has a smooth feel and a nice weight to it.  I really am enjoying the smaller size (first layout of this size), although I still occasionally still reach for the number pad. 

I didn't even pull the USB cable out because I already had a straight micro usb cable plugged into my computer, but I can see how the right angle plug was a design mistake.  Not really a very expensive thing to fix though.

I've settled on this to be my first mechanical keyboard.

I would highly recommend this keyboard to anyone right now.  The macros are pretty nice.  At night, I like to use a macro that just has the "F" and the "J" key lite up so that I can find my positioning very easy.  The whole board has a really nice feel to type on (Blue Switches).  I'm also a big fan of the white LED.   
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:20:52 by VivaGardner »
Even good dogs go wild

Offline cryptowillem

That's a pretty sexy board, for sure! It looks a lot like the CODE from WASD because of the white backlight, but I'd love to have the macro settings for the LEDs. I think this board will get further consideration from me
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens