Author Topic: HHKB Type-S Review (VIDEO)  (Read 7510 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
HHKB Type-S Review (VIDEO)
« on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:18:53 »
Hey all, haven't posted much recently but of course I have been floating around. But I've actually been busy working on my YouTube. I want to do tech reviews along with gaming and I just recently finished up my first tech review. I did it on none other than the HHKB Type-S!

Check it out here. The opinion of you guys matters a lot to me so any feedback is much appreciated. Hopefully I made us enthusiasts proud!

Edit: There is a sound comparison in there with the Leopold FC660C as well. The time stamp is in the description.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:21:17 by OnTheBrink »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: HHKB Type-S Review (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:29:49 »
Fantastic! I think you explained the topre mechanism quite well.

Does the whistling from the type-s bother you?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:34:17 »
Hey dude, just wanted to say I thought you did an excellent job on the review. Very detailed, easy to understand, and to the point. A+ :thumb:

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:34:59 »
Fantastic! I think you explained the topre mechanism quite well.

Does the whistling from the type-s bother you?

It's funny you mention that because I wasn't sure if I should bring it up. It doesn't bother me at all. I think it adds to the pleasant sound the keyboard gives when typing. I'm actually quite sensitive about that kind of stuff too. I simply couldn't use a Filco because of the ping sound it had.

Compared to a keyboard like the FC660C it is definitely much quieter as you can probably tell from the sound test but the reason I like them both so much is because of the different sound each contributes. I think what I am trying to convey is that I wouldn't consider any sound coming from either keyboard annoying, even if it is louder.

Hey dude, just wanted to say I thought you did an excellent job on the review. Very detailed, easy to understand, and to the point. A+ :thumb:

Thanks a lot man, it really means a lot. One thing I try to do is keep it real concise because all of my favorite YouTubers are my favorite because they are to the point. I was worried it was a bit drawn out but I am glad it was easy to watch.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:50:06 »
Great video!

You did an excellent job of describing pretty much all aspects of the board, and I really enjoyed some of the camera angles you used.

Looking forward to more videos :)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:23:14 »
Great video!

You did an excellent job of describing pretty much all aspects of the board, and I really enjoyed some of the camera angles you used.

Looking forward to more videos :)

Thanks a lot man!

I think I have to reupload it though. There is an Adobe Premiere analyze message in one of the frames and for some reason, the pans aren't as smooth as when I exported it. I fixed that too though.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:37:18 »
Technical presentation (visuals, video quality), personal presentation (voice, gesture), and content (text, explanations), all pretty flawless and concise IMHO, good job.

I would add this con: for such a high price I would expect a fully programmable controller, especially when it’s named “happy HACKING keyboard”, since hacking is all about customizing ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:50:49 by Eszett »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:45:40 »
Why is this not in reviews?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:49:13 »
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

If you don't mind liking the new link, I would really appreciate it. I had to re-upload it:

Opening up a ticket to have it moved.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 22:56:05 »

Opening up a ticket to have it moved.

:thumb:

Also, nice review.  :)  Great to see some more faces of geekhackers!

Offline cruzin

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 00:34:01 »
Nice review! I've been interested in an HHKB Pro 2 for a bit now. It might be my next purchase in a month or two.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 00:48:14 »
Woah, this is pretty much the most solid keyboard review I've seen. You can tell it came from an informed geekhacker  ;D

Great job, look forward to your future videos, keyboards or otherwise.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 01:13:03 »
Hey man enjoyed your review. Very informative.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:22:07 »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Really gives me the confidence to continue putting up content.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 15:25:34 »
Great review dude. Keep it up. I hope you find time to do more of these.

Offline Darkwell

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 15:38:56 »
This is a really great review, sir. Not to mention the production quality was fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Offline osi

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:01:16 »
Great information and great visuals

Hhkb is thock king

:D

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 17:01:04 »
Thank you again! Awesome support here. I noticed a bunch of people subscribed too. I will be uploading a new video by tomorrow. It's not on a keyboard, but most of us are into all tech anyway! :)

The quality is also much better.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 16:27:20 »
Excellent review. Either you have extraordinary talent as an extemporaneous speaker, or you have taken the trouble to rehearse and edit your video (or both). Most of us could profit from following your example!

Among Topre-switch boards, I have the FC660C, HHHB Pro 2, RF 87u 55g, and the CM Novatouch. My favorites are the HHKB Pro 2 for its form factor and layout, and the RF 87 55g for its solid high-quality sound and feel.

I have long debated whether I should pay the high premium for getting a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. My only quibble with your excellent review is that it would have been even more helpful to me if you had done a direct comparison between the standard and Type-S versions of the HHKB Pro 2.

I noticed in your video that both the FC660C and HHKB Pro 2 Type-S had very noticeable spacebar noise. I have managed to quiet that somewhat by lubricating the switch and stabilizer stems with EK MechLube-2.

Thanks for the review; keep up the good work.   

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 00:32:01 »
By the way, you can include your video inline in the thread like so:
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUThTv9GYbU[/youtube]

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 00:42:44 »
I’m amazed how fast you type using ~4 fingers!

Also, really solid review. Great work.

One tiny nitpick: you referred to the \ key as “forward slash” a couple of times. That one is typically called “backslash”. Forward slash (or just “slash”) goes the other way / and is used e.g. for inline fractions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 00:45:21 by jacobolus »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 11:37:00 »
Anyone have input on how the Type-S sound compares to a dental-modded Realforce or Leopold?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 18:06:56 »
my only complaint is where you said that they arent sold in the states.. then talk about EK who is a state side seller.

so, while it's limited to one website, they are in fact sold in the states by an authorized reseller

other than, great video.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 14:18:25 »
I’m amazed how fast you type using ~4 fingers!

Also, really solid review. Great work.

One tiny nitpick: you referred to the \ key as “forward slash” a couple of times. That one is typically called “backslash”. Forward slash (or just “slash”) goes the other way / and is used e.g. for inline fractions.

!! I was hoping no one would pick that up! I cringe every time but didn't want to have to reupload to add a text correction. Annotations unfortunately don't show on mobile views.

By the way, you can include your video inline in the thread like so:
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUThTv9GYbU[/youtube]

Thanks for that.

Excellent review. Either you have extraordinary talent as an extemporaneous speaker, or you have taken the trouble to rehearse and edit your video (or both). Most of us could profit from following your example!

Among Topre-switch boards, I have the FC660C, HHHB Pro 2, RF 87u 55g, and the CM Novatouch. My favorites are the HHKB Pro 2 for its form factor and layout, and the RF 87 55g for its solid high-quality sound and feel.

I have long debated whether I should pay the high premium for getting a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. My only quibble with your excellent review is that it would have been even more helpful to me if you had done a direct comparison between the standard and Type-S versions of the HHKB Pro 2.

I noticed in your video that both the FC660C and HHKB Pro 2 Type-S had very noticeable spacebar noise. I have managed to quiet that somewhat by lubricating the switch and stabilizer stems with EK MechLube-2.

Thanks for the review; keep up the good work.   

It was actually all off the top of my head. I edited it but the edits are clearly seen. So anything that seems like it's straight through was likely me just talking. After I cut it up I listen to it and shoot footage based on what I'm saying.

Anyone have input on how the Type-S sound compares to a dental-modded Realforce or Leopold?

I'll be doing a comparison and sound test with that soon. HHKB Type-S will always be quieter especially because of the space bar pad on the top of the case. Super pissed I forgot to mention that in the review. It's a learning process for sure as you can see from my Anker AH112 video. Much better quality--same equipment.

my only complaint is where you said that they arent sold in the states.. then talk about EK who is a state side seller.

so, while it's limited to one website, they are in fact sold in the states by an authorized reseller

other than, great video.

Didn't know that. I thought they just stocked the keyboards and upsold them.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:08:27 »
Thats cool you showed the different slider parts in your video. I love the purple ones from Realforce. Nice hair too man.  :cool:

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 00:06:55 »
Awesome video man... where can I buy one!?!!?! :eek:

Offline ablooga

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 02:55:13 »
It hurt my eyes. When those wonderful boards were being typed on with chopsticks, rather than touch typing........

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 05:20:10 »
Watching well done videos like this made me stop mine till i actually take the time to learn how to edit properly. nice video man.

Awesome video man... where can I buy one!?!!?! :eek:

....This was actually explained in his video lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline gabbo01

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:04:10 »
While I video is greatly informative, do you really need all the silly unrelated tags to leech views?

Offline steve.v

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 15:16:15 »

While I video is greatly informative, do you really need all the silly unrelated tags to leech views?

It's his video; who's to say he can't.

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 00:17:37 »
Really good video. Props.
Head in the clouds.

Offline tokidokijake

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 20:23:11 »
nice vid and review. good job sir

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 20:13:08 »
+1 great sound comparison and in depth review  :thumb:

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 20:04:49 »
Great camerawork and solid review. Make more! :cool:

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 16:54:59 »
Very nice job, dude. Digging the unapologetic accent.

Quick note: sold at Elite Keyboards = *is* available in the States - EK's not just a  Japanese import website. Brian's the exclusive U.S. distributor (and in fact he has a small storefront in SoCal), which means both faster ship than Tenso and warranty-backed sales. [I have no affiliation wth Brian or EK.] Conversely, unlike what you said, Tenso probably *is* the most cost-effective way of buying the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:03:38 by shrubkeys »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 22:00:31 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:26 by alienman82 »