Author Topic: KUL ES-87 MX Black; First Impression; then Final Update  (Read 3473 times)

Offline aref

KUL ES-87 MX Black; First Impression; then Final Update
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:24:20 »
KUL ES-87 MX Black

This keyboard came in late this afternoon. For reference, I’ve been using a Realforce 87UB/55-gram keyboard; but have been using the KUL for the past four hours.

Case--
The body has no major cosmetic blemishes with respect to the case’s molding; but there are several minor pinpoint scuffs around the Esc key and above the F-keys. Minor at best, these are not deal breakers. When it comes to solidity of the build, this KUL feels superior to CMQFR and Filco M2s I've owned. It’s hefty, perfectly flat as it sits on my desk, and the case does not have any ‘give’ when I press on the case; i.e., there’s no ‘play’ between the case’s top and bottom.

Key caps--
We know that KUL is using inexpensive ABS key caps. But the profile of the caps feels nice and is easy for one’s fingers to ‘fall’ into each key. I’ll have to see how the caps fare over time. Keeping this keyboard is a definite ‘Yes’ for me. The Cherry stabilizers are quiet and feel smooth; no metal-on-plastic noise here, just the pleasant thud of key when I strike each key. Speaking of striking, I have to say the down-force of this switch has me bottoming-out much softer than on other keyboards, 55g Topres included. Also, the texture of the key caps feels nice with a slight bit of smooth grit on the surface of each cap.

MX Black Switches--
The blacks feel good to me. I’ve a preference for moderately heavier switches. They are noticeably heavier, only slightly, than my 55g Topre keyboard; and the overall feel is, of course, different. There no discernible parallel I can draw between MX and Topre switches, each has a unique feel.
Just as with getting accustomed to the 55g Topres when I began using them, the MX Blacks are going to take a little time to become adjusted to the increase in required down-force. The thing I have to do is use the KUL exclusively so I my digits can adjust. I’m not foregoing my 55g Topres in favor of MX Blacks; but I do find both keyboards have great feel and quite simply, I enjoy typing on both boards.
The switches are smooth, no gritty or rough feel; and since I began using them this afternoon, the linear feel of the switch is even smoother; perhaps because it’s damned cold here and the springs/switches have had time to reach room temperature. Also, seeing easily discernible legends on the key caps is a nice change from Topre’s dark gray on dark gray. I touch-type, but on occasion, I may have to take a look at the keyboard to find a seldom used character; and seeing legends isn’t a bad thing.

Features and then some--
I really appreciate having volume keys on board; using the Fn key in conjunction with F10, F11 and F12 mutes, lowers, and raises volume. There are CD/DVD drive media keys, too.
I haven’t gotten into the DIP switch settings… yet. The board suits my primary needs: communications, online research, and writing.
No ping? No ping! We don’t need no stinkin’ ping! Unlike the other TKL brands mentioned earlier, this keyboard doesn’t ping. No need for disassembling the case and stuffing it with shelf liner, masking tape, batting… the stock keyboard is quiet.

I know many on GH do much more with their keyboards than I do; I modify if necessary only. Regardless, I’m so taken with this KB that I’m sure accessory key caps are in this KB’s future; but only because they exist, not because I feel they’re necessary; however, if they original key caps don’t wear well, it may become a necessity. Again, the stock keyboard is an extremely nice TKL that’s priced between a CMQFR and considerably less than Filco Majestouch 2 KBs.

Thus far, I can’t find anything to complain about—it’s simply a nice MX-switch keyboard. Kudos to KUL for building a good quality TKL. If longevity is in this keyboard’s DNA, it’s a complete and reasonably priced standard tenkeyless keyboard.

I know photos aren't necessary; nonetheless, I've included a couple.

Update: several hours later working into the evening--
I've been doing quite a bit of writing, and my speed on the Black switches is faster than on my 55-gram Topres, which I hadn't expected; and may be the new-keyboard syndrome. In any case, these switches feel damned good; and 'me digits' feel fine. Becoming accustomed to the difference in feel compared with my Topres is done. I've been using this keyboard only; and it's been rewarding. Occasionally I strike the space-bar and right-shift key to lightly, but my feel will improve with use. I have a full day of writing tomorrow, save occasional GH visits; so I'll see how I perform with the ES-87. Thus far, it has excellent feel and still no ping, just a solid bottoming-out knock of key strikes. Perhaps the aural MX thock of struck keys is enhancing my speed/tempo.

Final Update: next day
I have an 'issue' with the KUL (say it ain't so). The keyboard is randomly inserting an extra space with a single space-bar strike. I uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard on my PC. No joy; the issue continued. Tried turning off the PC, disconnecting my Realforce to make the KUL the only keyboard the PC sees; again, no joy, the issue persisted. Finally, about an hour ago I'd had it. I removed the keyboard and checked with seller to see if the keyboard might be returned. It can be returned; so I'll box and return it.

Could it have been my PC? Not likely. It's only about 15 months old; and all my other keyboards work without any problems. So I'm back to my tried-and-true 87UB/55g. I haven't used the RF since the KUL arrived. And I have to recant a bit of my review by saying the 55g Topres feel fantastic. Some piece of buried lyrics from the 1960s alludes to not knowing what one has until it's gone. Well, the RF wasn't gone; but I won't be so quick to pay accolades to another switch before returning to the Realforce for a feel-good reminder. No question that the new-board syndrome plays into an early impression with respect to feel. Paying proper Kudos to KUL, the keyboard has a nice build; for the short time I used it, there was no ping or squeaking from the switches or the board's body; and all functions worked great, save the space-bar issue.

It's back to the 55-gram 87UB, which is a great fall-back position. So now I'm wondering if an HHKB's 45g Topres are going to do it for me. I see where EK has them in stock; and the keyboard gods are poking me in the Discover Card. But I have to reconsider a 45g Topre; the heavier MX Black felt good; and the 55g Topres feel, as always, right. So, it's back to the keyboard market for a KB or accompany my Realforce. In the meantime, I may have to unbox my MX Red keyboard, just to recapture the feel of a lighter key switch. Back at the palace, the HHKB presents itself like the Golden Fleece to Jason and his crew of keyboard Argonauts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:20:49 by aref »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: KUL ES-87 MX Black; First Impression
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:03:43 »
 :thumb:

update if it starts squeaking
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 15:23:01 »
So what's with the aforementioned squeaking?
Are those scuff marks from the injections?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 15:30:28 »
Nice write up. I need to try a KUL one of these days.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:14:55 »

Topre rule number 1.
Thou shall not covet peasant cherry MX.

Offline aref

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:22:24 »

Topre rule number 1.
Thou shall not covet peasant cherry MX.

How does one argue with keyboard logic? One doesn't.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: KUL ES-87 MX Black; First Impression; then Final Update
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:48:31 »
So what's with the aforementioned squeaking?
Are those scuff marks from the injections?

my KUL squeaks, but i've only seen 1 or 2 people with the same issue, and only from the 1st batch

just curious to see if it's happening in the newer ones
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90