Author Topic: [IC] - Tropical Ocean  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Niten001

[IC] - Tropical Ocean
« on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:55:12 »
I have long admired the multi-colored keycap sets used on many a keyboard posted on this site, but have never found a color scheme that I really like so I decided to design one. Introducing Tropical Ocean a keycap set based upon the calm peaceful tropical waters that are so inviting when on vacation.

I am thinking double shot with either Off-White or Shine through text. I haven't yet decided what profile they will follow (either OEM or SA) nor where they would be produced. The font used is Varela Round.

To Do: Novelties Kit, International Kit, Extra Homing + Shift Keys, Decide on + contact Manufacturer, Choose exact colors for the plastic.

Please give me feedback on any thing I have forgotten and how I can improve the kit.

« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:49:42 by Niten001 »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
Re: [IC] - Tropical Ocean
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:58:43 »
This seems like it'd be incredibly expensive to produce... looks really cool though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:08:51 »
Not knocking on your design, because I do find it very appealing, but you might want to look at SP DSA Borealis, and "Sea Foam", though the later one never got produced I think.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-borealis-keyset/

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:22:50 »
Not knocking on your design, because I do find it very appealing, but you might want to look at SP DSA Borealis, and "Sea Foam", though the later one never got produced I think.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-borealis-keyset/
I think this is definitely different enough from both. Looks beautiful!
ortho or shmortho

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:43:02 »
I like the color scheme!

However, using a custom font will make it super expensive (every manufacturer), so you probably have to go for whatever the manufacturer offers.

As for shine through and DSA, according to the FAQ (http://keycapsdirect.com/faq.php), Signature Plastics does offer translucent legends in a double shot setting. However, there is an impact on the quality which you can read up on there.

I think this set might very well work without translucent legends.

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 10:12:12 »
Reminds me of Sea Foam, but i prefer sea foam due to the simplicity, personally.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:39:04 »
I like the colors and am interested in this set as long as it isn't SA/DSA, but some of the kits seem odd. Both the Dvorak and the Colemak kits have duplicate keys like Z, V, and Y, which are already in the base kit, and the Colemak kit is missing homing keys and a 1.75u backspace. I don't understand what the second-to-last kit is for; it lacks 2 bottom row blank 1u keys for a Planck kit, the 2u keys look like they're for the discontinued Atomic, and I've never heard of a keyboard with a bottom  row shift key. Finally, the Ergodox kit has 2 too many keys for just an Ergodox but is only 4/5 short of being an Ergodox/Planck kit.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 01:43:32 »
I like the colors and am interested in this set as long as it isn't SA/DSA, but some of the kits seem odd. Both the Dvorak and the Colemak kits have duplicate keys like Z, V, and Y, which are already in the base kit, and the Colemak kit is missing homing keys and a 1.75u backspace. I don't understand what the second-to-last kit is for; it lacks 2 bottom row blank 1u keys for a Planck kit, the 2u keys look like they're for the discontinued Atomic, and I've never heard of a keyboard with a bottom  row shift key. Finally, the Ergodox kit has 2 too many keys for just an Ergodox but is only 4/5 short of being an Ergodox/Planck kit.

Given the colors, you're either going with DCS or G20 for SP sets or looking at custom colors for GMK if you don't want to do DSA or SA.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 11:06:18 »
nice color,it take me to the beach