Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3520415 times)

Offline Suruga Devil

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15200 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:20:50 »
I'd like to have a custom PCB made for me, where can I post on Geekhack to request such a service?

Can one-off keysets be ordered from GMK, and if so, how much would it cost? Doubleshot of course, but no custom legends.

I have never heard off GMK keeping off the shelve stock; but, you may ask them, they may have left overs that you can buy. If what you want is your own colors selection; then, based on recent GBs it seems that the lowest MoQ is 150, so you may buy 150 sets, keep the amount you want, one?, and sell the rest. Why you just not joint one of the multiple current GMK group buys, instead? There are at least 3 of them active, or soon to come.

I'm making a custom board, 155 keys. They're all standard sized keys but I'd much rather have a custom-legend'd set then 155 blank keys or a mix of blank/printed. Sounds like GMK isn't an option, though... Might have to bite the bullet and roll with blanks instead.

I'm gonna make a thread about it, perhaps there will be enough interest to make a group buy for the board+caps. Macro keys for days.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:22:29 by Suruga Devil »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15201 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 19:08:13 »
I'd like to have a custom PCB made for me, where can I post on Geekhack to request such a service?

Can one-off keysets be ordered from GMK, and if so, how much would it cost? Doubleshot of course, but no custom legends.

http://www.uniqey.net/en.html

Not available yet, but this may be the service you're looking for.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
« Reply #15202 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:03:28 »
Are switch stickers re-usable?

As in; my switches are stickered, if I re-open them to replace the springs would I need to replace the stickers also?
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #15203 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:26:36 »

As in; my switches are stickered, if I re-open them to replace the springs would I need to replace the stickers also?

I've had limited success reusing stickers as they tend to snag on the switch top clips and come off.  In my experience, they can be reused if they stay in place when you remove the switch top.  If they come off, then have to replace them.

Also, this might be interest to you:

Polycarbonate switch films

zennasyndroxx is running a GB for those: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80010.0

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
« Reply #15204 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:45:23 »

I've had limited success reusing stickers as they tend to snag on the switch top clips and come off.  In my experience, they can be reused if they stay in place when you remove the switch top.  If they come off, then have to replace them.

Also, this might be interest to you:

Polycarbonate switch films
(image)

zennasyndroxx is running a GB for those: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80010.0

Ah I see, thank you. Those polycarb films look brilliant, double thanks for pointing me over there.

Better play it safe and grab some from round 2 before I forget.  :)
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15205 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 11:54:32 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:07:00 by alienman82 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15206 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:53:20 »
How does the switch feel of 45G Real Force and 45G FC660C compare?  I assume a similar feeling?
Most seem to think the FC660 has a slightly heavier feel.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15207 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 15:38:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:06:58 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15208 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 10:16:12 »
I'm assembling my lz rv, i've soldered all the switches, however the 1,2,3,4 don't work as well as numlock, add, multiply, subtract. insert is delete, delete is home, end is page up and vice vera, windows keys don't work, keys number 2 and 3 above the numpad give 2 and 3. anyone know what could be going on?

Seems like there's something soldered incorrectly. Maybe there are solder cold solder joints at those locations. Maybe there's another issue such as the PCB not being grounded correctly or otherwise. I would first check your joints with a multimeter to make sure the connection is right and fixing the joints as needed.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15209 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 13:43:14 »
How tactile is 45g Topre compared to something like MX Browns?

Furthermore, I've heard that 45g topre does not feel as light as 45g browns despite being the same weight, any truth to this?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15210 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 13:46:00 »

Furthermore, I've heard that 45g topre does not feel as light as 45g browns despite being the same weight, any truth to this?

I think Topre is way more tactile than MX Browns. I would rank MX Browns among my least favorite switches because they don't feel very tactile at all to me. And I don't think they feel the same at all regardless of the weights being the same number. I think numbers are misleading in general. Nothing for me ever substitutes trying a switch out in person.

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #15211 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 14:36:01 »

Having tried both, I can say confidently that comparing the two switches is a futile effort, as they are different in every way besides the activation force.
Topre require a good bit of force to be depressed past the activation point, but once they are past it, all the resistance disappears and you'll bottom out the key. Browns have resistance all the way towards the end. Browns are not very tactile in comparison to other tactile switches.

Browns are entirely different than Topre, and I would not base your willingness to purchase a Topre board on how similar they are to Browns. They're really something you have to experience.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15212 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 14:50:00 »
Thanks for the response.

I'm aware that no Cherry switch is really comparable to Topre, but I just wanted to know how big the "bump" is. MX Browns are too wimpy is all :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15213 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 14:51:06 »
Thanks for the response.

I'm aware that no Cherry switch is really comparable to Topre, but I just wanted to know how big the "bump" is. MX Browns are too wimpy is all :)

I definitely get that. That's my whole complaint with MX Browns. You will not get a wimpy bump with Topre that's for sure.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #15214 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 14:57:18 »
Thanks for the response.

I think the best Cherry switch is Ergo Clear (swap the springs with 62g, or other). It feels really good and the bump is pretty prominent, IMO. Topre is nicer, but I enjoy typing on both.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15215 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:37:31 »
In Two-Piece Model M keycaps, is the bottom piece also made of PBT or is it made of another material?

Offline ajx

« Reply #15216 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 04:18:20 »
Hello folks, i do want to paint my HHKB case  ;D, any thoughts?
Paint/skin/stickers, whatever
Thanks

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15217 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 04:21:01 »
Thanks

Plasti dip? It's easy, cheap, and reversible.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15218 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:01:44 »

In Two-Piece Model M keycaps, is the bottom piece also made of PBT or is it made of another material?

Caps and stems are all the same.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #15219 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 12:41:40 »
Thanks

Plasti dip? It's easy, cheap, and reversible.

I can confirm that it's reversible.  If you have some trouble getting it out of hard to reach places, spray some WD-40 and it will dissolve and then brush it out with an old toothbrush.

Here's my experience with plastidip on my Shine II:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49622.msg1174145#msg1174145

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15220 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 22:30:34 »
What PCB is better: the GH60 - available at techkeys - or its fork available at ebay? both are at $35.00 plus shipping. I think the first is in version 1 or something closer in green, the second is another later iteration.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #15221 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 02:20:36 »
What is this pushbutton on the underside of the Sentraq S60-X for? It seems like quite a few 60% keyboards have it, all the 60% cases have a hole for a button like this as well.

Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15222 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:06:31 »
What PCB is better: the GH60 - available at techkeys - or its fork available at ebay? both are at $35.00 plus shipping. I think the first is in version 1 or something closer in green, the second is another later iteration.

Any feedback, yet?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15223 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:26:37 »
What is this pushbutton on the underside of the Sentraq S60-X for? It seems like quite a few 60% keyboards have it, all the 60% cases have a hole for a button like this as well.

Show Image

For putting into programming mode.

Any feedback, yet?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82146.0

I'm on my phone but I know there have been a few threads recently like the one above discussing and comparing these and other 60% PCB's.

Basically if you want backlighting and dont mind a clone get the eBay one otherwise go with techkeys for the official GH60.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:37:54 by SpAmRaY »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #15224 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:37:49 »

Ah that certainly makes sense, thank you!
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15225 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 09:08:29 »

Show Image

Any feedback, yet?

I'm on my phone but I know there have been a few threads recently like the one above discussing and comparing these and other 60% PCB's.

Basically if you want backlighting and dont mind a clone get the eBay one otherwise go with techkeys for the official GH60.

I knew that the original GH60 does not support backlighting, is there any other difference in functionality with its clone?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15226 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:26:51 »

Show Image

Any feedback, yet?

I knew that the original GH60 does not support backlighting, is there any other difference in functionality with its clone?

The techkeys GH60 does have the pads and traces for backlighting, but needs an add-on board in order to drive the LEDs. I know that some of the GH60 derivatives use different firmware than the original, and some people have had a bit of trouble with programming it.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #15227 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 15:50:08 »
I've been seeing references to "OG Cherry" this and that, and people who prefer older/broken-in Cherry MX switches over new production. My question is, is there an actual manufacturing difference and if so when was the transition, or does this just mean that switches that are say a decade old or more may be valuable to some people?

Context: I'm thinking about removing all the MX Browns from my 2002 Kinesis Advantage keywells to have another spare set of PCBs/plates, and want to know if I should keep/give/trade/sell/violentlydestroy them afterwards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15228 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 16:59:32 »
I've been seeing references to "OG Cherry" this and that, and people who prefer older/broken-in Cherry MX switches over new production. My question is, is there an actual manufacturing difference and if so when was the transition, or does this just mean that switches that are say a decade old or more may be valuable to some people?

Context: I'm thinking about removing all the MX Browns from my 2002 Kinesis Advantage keywells to have another spare set of PCBs/plates, and want to know if I should keep/give/trade/sell/violentlydestroy them afterwards.

There's a difference. The molds were changed sometime in the early 90s but I'm still not 100% convinced how to ID the switches. Nor am I convinced that the mold changes were so big that there's a huge noticeable distance. I don't think your switches would fall into that time period but you can always sell loose switches for decent money.

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #15229 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 17:23:06 »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/NIB-IBM-Japanese-Lettering-Typing-Computer-102-Keyboard-Letter-Type-6112883-/380994210683

Is this a buckling spring keyboard? Or does anybody know if it's mechanical at all? Thanks

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15231 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 23:03:46 »
Does anyone know why the lock lights on my V80 stopped working? I disassembled it to fix a switch and re-assembled it and it worked fine but then they stopped working all of this sudden.

The caps lock key and scroll lock keys still work fine, though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15232 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 08:21:24 »
Does anyone know why the lock lights on my V80 stopped working? I disassembled it to fix a switch and re-assembled it and it worked fine but then they stopped working all of this sudden.

The caps lock key and scroll lock keys still work fine, though.

I'd use aquakeytest or a similar tester to see if you can force the LEDs on. Then I'd check the solder joints with a multimeter. I don't know why they stopped working from your description.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15233 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:53:22 »
OK, after I restarted my computer they work now. Very weird.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15234 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 11:29:15 »
Can some post a pic of an ISO layout in Dvorak?  I can't seem to find any pics relating to this.

I only need the alpha numeric block as this will be on a 60% board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2016, 11:32:17 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline spremino

« Reply #15235 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 13:55:46 »
Length and width of a Dell AT101[W](or AT102[W])?  Thanks.

EDIT: Made the Windows version optional, because it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2016, 17:00:23 by spremino »
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline E3E

« Reply #15236 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 14:33:15 »
Length and width of a Dell AT101W (or AT102W)?  Thanks.

Like the actual case of the board itself?

Offline spremino

« Reply #15237 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 14:59:38 »
Length and width of a Dell AT101W (or AT102W)?  Thanks.

Like the actual case of the board itself?

Yes, thanks.

Offline spremino

« Reply #15238 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 15:24:13 »
Length and width of the case of an IBM Model M?  Thanks.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15239 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 15:44:10 »
Can some post a pic of an ISO layout in Dvorak?  I can't seem to find any pics relating to this.

UK Dvorak if you don't mind different punctuation.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15240 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 15:47:53 »

Thanks davkol, I am at least trying to put stock Kishy caps into Dvorak layout but with PD2 and PD3 the shape of that pair of caps is the same as ISO enter,  so I figured I would try and emulate it best I could with what I have.

I ended up just setting the alphas to Dvorak and guessed on outside punctuation.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2016, 15:53:16 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline spremino

« Reply #15241 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:55:42 »
I would like to know the length and width of the case of:
- a Dell AT101* (or AT102*);
- an IBM Model M.

Thanks.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15242 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:56:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:04:10 by alienman82 »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15243 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 20:07:35 »

Thanks davkol, I am at least trying to put stock Kishy caps into Dvorak layout but with PD2 and PD3 the shape of that pair of caps is the same as ISO enter,  so I figured I would try and emulate it best I could with what I have.

I ended up just setting the alphas to Dvorak and guessed on outside punctuation.

I am curious, why dvorak over colemak?  Just what you know?
I actually know neither,  but from my reading Dvorak favors alternation over rolls and has less in common with QWERTY, so when I have to type in other boards, I shouldn't have as much as an issue.  But 95%+ of my typing is posts here so...

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15244 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 20:10:01 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:04:06 by alienman82 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15245 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 05:40:33 »
I would like to know the length and width of the case of:
- a Dell AT101* (or AT102*);
- an IBM Model M.

IBM Model M … 49×21 cm
Dell AT101W … about 41.5×21.5 cm

Offline Krustyboomer

« Reply #15246 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 20:15:42 »
Does solder ever go bad?  I've got a spool of Kester 44, .032, that has to be at least 20-yrs old.  Oxidation, rosin age, etc.?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15247 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 20:34:38 »
Does solder ever go bad?  I've got a spool of Kester 44, .032, that has to be at least 20-yrs old.  Oxidation, rosin age, etc.?
Yes it's got a shelf life. I believe it's 1-3 years but I'm not 100% sure

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15248 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 20:38:17 »

I doubt the solder itself goes bad, but any non-metal flux or rosin-type components will probably run out, dry up, crystallize, or something.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15249 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:50:02 »
Yes it's got a shelf life. I believe it's 1-3 years but I'm not 100% sure

I've used solder older than three years without significant issue. Not sure how much older though.